Renting.Happy or not?

rockola57

Hi,

We are renting at present.Still got our house in the UK,with good long term tenant's in it.Renting here we feel like second class citizens('cos of the Aussie mind set)But to be honest,firstly me and her have never had it so good socially,(getting out more than when we were lovestruck teenagers)!The other thing is that the house prices are outrageous where we are,and one would have to be a major deekhead to pay what the going rate is here.There is another large issue that would be pertinent to us if we did buy now,like"How the funck are we goin' to pay this Kings ransom at our age?(no spring chick's)Happy and sad are we,as they say!:biggrin:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rgaskell

I've always had a mortgage but moving over there it wouldn't bother me to rent. You also have the advantage of living in different areas then choosing the best one. If you bought in the wrong area you'd be kicking yourselves. With the current house prices, it's better to sit and rent then when the market goes on its arse(which it will eventually), boom get in at the bottom. Job done :o)

Hi,

We are renting at present.Still got our house in the UK,with good long term tenant's in it.Renting here we feel like second class citizens('cos of the Aussie mind set)But to be honest,firstly me and her have never had it so good socially,(getting out more than when we were lovestruck teenagers)!The other thing is that the house prices are outrageous where we are,and one would have to be a major deekhead to pay what the going rate is here.There is another large issue that would be pertinent to us if we did buy now,like"How the funck are we goin' to pay this Kings ransom at our age?(no spring chick's)Happy and sad are we,as they say!:biggrin:

Something ive been thinking long and hard about tbh,im 47 she 43,not in S.A yet,house to sell here with a "decent" amount of equity,but not hundreds of thousands like some people.

I honestly dont fancy living in "someone elses house",BUT do we want to take out a mortgage at our age that is twice what we have now when were in australia??????????

We have nobody to leave a property to anyway,only neices/nephews.

But i think we have fallen into the UK mindset(i dont think its only oz)that if you dont own your own home your a no-mark.

Elsewhere in europe renting isnt seen in the same way it is in the uk.

BTW we still havnt decided!Rent and enjoy our equity,or buy and no doubt struggle with bigger bills etc? We "were" hoping to go and "wind down",if we buy i dont think that will be the case,decisions decisions eh!:confused:

Guest Guest31881

We rent, this is our second rental since being here and I certainly do not feel like a second class citizen, most houses in my street are rentals and I am the only Pom here. We get on well with the neighbours and although we rent through an agency we also see the owner quite often as he uses the boat ramp opposite our property. He will pop over and leave us a couple of fresh crabs when he has had a good catch, so I am quite happy renting.

We also think that in a couple of years we may fancy a change, perhaps move to NSW for a couple of years and then move on again or come back to Queensland. We would not have the freedom to do this if we had to buy and sell a house, if and when we fancy a move. I know it is said that renting is dead money but it has its advantages. My rent will not go up every time the interest rate changes. If something goes wrong I make a phone call and a man appears to repair it at no cost to me. I have a 12 month lease and at least I know the rent payment is stable for 12 months, and even after that if the landlord wants to raise it, I can leave and move on.

Something ive been thinking long and hard about tbh,im 47 she 43,not in S.A yet,house to sell here with a "decent" amount of equity,but not hundreds of thousands like some people.

I honestly dont fancy living in "someone elses house",BUT do we want to take out a mortgage at our age that is twice what we have now when were in australia??????????

We have nobody to leave a property to anyway,only neices/nephews.

But i think we have fallen into the UK mindset(i dont think its only oz)that if you dont own your own home your a no-mark.

Elsewhere in europe renting isnt seen in the same way it is in the uk.

BTW we still havnt decided!Rent and enjoy our equity,or buy and no doubt struggle with bigger bills etc? We "were" hoping to go and "wind down",if we buy i dont think that will be the case,decisions decisions eh!:confused:

You just do the aussire thing sownsize to a unit , rentin with the rental police , inspections etc is a big pain in the arse mate , you dont ave to have the big plank 4 x 2 lol ,donna name the house the plank but she wont let me lol, but you can smaller units and propertys for a lot less , i look at it this way i pay 100 k rentin foer 5 years and ave nowt or pay mortgage and at least get summat back for your payout

Guest guest17301

We rented in the Uk and we rent here but in the UK I never felt the need to buy my own home...I feel different here though. Unsure if this means I've found where I want to settle or that renting feels so different here..more intrusion for letting agent setc....just found out after a year in our rental that our neighbours actually own the house! (we go through an agent) after slagging off the letting agent, lol, neighbours are great and don't want the tenants (ie us) running to them with every niggle hence they use an agency.....

Mally is right re the rental police...feels that way to us they dont let you feel lik it's home like they do in UK. I want to buy but prohibited by cost/area we want to buy etc...

No right or wrong though...freedom in letting as you can up sticks whenever the mood takes you so pros and cons I suppose...

Guest mtcosby

if we were treated with respect it wouldnt bother me and OH renting, but weve been treated awful... the way they speak to you and how they inspect the house making you feel like you should kiss their arse just for being there... we have a house still in the UK with a lovely lady in it .. we look after her as she is doing us a huge thing by staying there and paying our mortgage until house sells..... why cant we have the same curtersey here... i cant believe how ill treated renters are and how they make you feel like ya a drain on the society!!!!!

Can I ask what the issue is with inspections please? What do they do?

I'm a bit confused as it's mentioned lots on the forum. Most rental contracts in the UK give permission for a 3monthly inspection, it's rarely utilised beyond the first though to be honest, but they just walk around and make sure you're keeping it clean and haven't put fixtures and fittings, pictures etc up on the wall.

Is it different in Aus?

Do private landlords still have proper contracts that protect the tenant still?

You just do the aussire thing sownsize to a unit , rentin with the rental police , inspections etc is a big pain in the arse mate , you dont ave to have the big plank 4 x 2 lol ,donna name the house the plank but she wont let me lol, but you can smaller units and propertys for a lot less , i look at it this way i pay 100 k rentin foer 5 years and ave nowt or pay mortgage and at least get summat back for your payout

Not 100% on "units" etc mally,thats a flat isnt it? nah we want our own front door if yer know what i mean?our own garden etc,we dont need a massive hse,theres only me and her,but if we want a house then it looks as tho it will probably mean a 3 bed detached and that means double the mortgage we have here.

Colin makes some good points re renting,BUT for me/us i KNOW it would get on me nerves having to "stand by yer beds" kind of thing for the owner/agent to "check in",know what i mean?

But then again,i dont know anything about renting in oz,so probably got it wrong

Guest guest17301

You have to have the place spotless and even then some snotty cow will still look down her nose at you...my experience anyway though I'm sure not all agents are the same!

When our agent couldn't find anything to complain about they wrote us a letter following one inspection saying the stainless steel rings on the cooker had 'minor residue' on them...that's how picky they are...everything else was immaculate!

We rented in the Uk and we rent here but in the UK I never felt the need to buy my own home...I feel different here though. Unsure if this means I've found where I want to settle or that renting feels so different here..more intrusion for letting agent setc....just found out after a year in our rental that our neighbours actually own the house! (we go through an agent) after slagging off the letting agent, lol, neighbours are great and don't want the tenants (ie us) running to them with every niggle hence they use an agency.....

Mally is right re the rental police...feels that way to us they dont let you feel lik it's home like they do in UK. I want to buy but prohibited by cost/area we want to buy etc...

No right or wrong though...freedom in letting as you can up sticks whenever the mood takes you so pros and cons I suppose...

See Channel 7 tonite Butler best suberb nor then alkimos( should have built there its perfect lol) H & ls 265k that bloody good , think its because the builders are goin in the same direction as the uk by buyin up loads of blocks cheaper than individual and sellin with houses cheaper ,it must be the price at Alkimos , if you intend stoppin and are in with the owner .negotiiate the rent with him ditchin the agents ( its costin him money as well ) be a good deal for both of yer , is that the one with the pool ( beware of the stalker lmbo)

Not 100% on "units" etc mally,thats a flat isnt it? nah we want our own front door if yer know what i mean?our own garden etc,we dont need a massive hse,theres only me and her,but if we want a house then it looks as tho it will probably mean a 3 bed detached and that means double the mortgage we have here.

Colin makes some good points re renting,BUT for me/us i KNOW it would get on me nerves having to "stand by yer beds" kind of thing for the owner/agent to "check in",know what i mean?

But then again,i dont know anything about renting in oz,so probably got it wrong

UNits can be classed as flats or small houses (aka uk houses ) lol , mines double nearly but earn it live it at least you arent chuckin your wonga down the drain hole rentin , just sell up get a cmper and become a grey nomad or malteser nomad in my instance

We are fed up to the back teeth of inspections.It seems like every week we have to let some one in to inspect one thing or another.Fire inspections,alarm inspections,drainage,gas,gutters,air con etc etc.

The final straw was today,4 men in suits turned up because they had been informed we had a dog (no pets allowed ) They searched the whole house,garage and gardens then told me off for having a bird feeder in the garden.Afraid to say I lost it and told them to "Go forth and multiply " No doubt they will be back !!!!

You have to have the place spotless and even then some snotty cow will still look down her nose at you...my experience anyway though I'm sure not all agents are the same!

When our agent couldn't find anything to complain about they wrote us a letter following one inspection saying the stainless steel rings on the cooker had 'minor residue' on them...that's how picky they are...everything else was immaculate!

Thats the reason why im dead dubious about renting!

I just KNOW im gonna feel like im obliged(my worst feeling!:mad:)to someone.

That i cant do what i want in my own home,i reckon we'l buy+just live on less dosh tbh.

Is 'fair wear and tear' not written into the contracts then like in the UK?! (which would cover minor scuffs to skirting boards etc)

Grime on the cooker! As long as you don't leave it like that when you leave then surely it's none of their business!

It reminds me of some of the 'landlords' here in the UK at the moment. They don't want to be landlords, they just can't sell and really they don't want anyone in their home but still want the rent. They expect it back 'as new' 2 years later - oh and to not have to pay for anything repair wise at all in that time.

(apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent)

UNits can be classed as flats or small houses (aka uk houses ) lol , mines double nearly but earn it live it at least you arent chuckin your wonga down the drain hole rentin , just sell up get a cmper and become a grey nomad or malteser nomad in my instance

Mally a small two bed detached would do,but i know their thin on the ground,and theres probably not much difference with the price of a 3 bed anyway.

Thats why the houses i research on the net are 3 bed detached,not much choice imo.

The final straw was today,4 men in suits turned up because they had been informed we had a dog (no pets allowed ) They searched the whole house,garage and gardens then told me off for having a bird feeder in the garden.Afraid to say I lost it and told them to "Go forth and multiply " No doubt they will be back !!!!

The contract doesn't state they have to give notice to enter the property? (usually 24hours and a mutually convenient time).

That's outrageous, in UK contracts there's a phrase about giving tenants 'quiet enjoyment' of the property.

Is there a standard aussie rental contract? (like the UK AST?)

Guest mtcosby

hahahahha im laughin to stop me screaming as we must have the same ''snotty cow'' ... not only do they look down their noses at you, if you ever dare say no to one of there demands they put the phone down on you not once but twice and then go on to send very ****ty emails..... we complained abt the gas fire it needed servicing .. they had the balls to tell me to take it to get serviced myself!!!! well ya can only imgaine the fall out from that.. hense to say we outa here as soon as lease is up...... we hate it here..... (house not oz) hahah and cant wait to have enough saved for our ''home''....

Guest Guest31881

Hi Pablo,

I live in a "unit" do not confused them with what you may consider a flat. Although you can get flats in multi block I have always had a unit that has its own front door and parking space near door. Normally a converted house.

If you look at my profile you will find a photo of our Unit, we have the upstairs. Front and back doors both with separate access. Large rear garden with BBQ (but I also have my own BBQ on balcony), Sliding door from living room to balcony, the two main bedroom also have sliding door onto balcony, The balcony runs across front of unit, down the side and round to back of building, with access via two staircases, Third bedroom could take a double bed but we use it for a single. The landlord never comes in the Unit unless we ask him to repair something. The property can be inspected every 3 months but we have found that after the initial inspection the subsequent inspections are just a quick look round and ask you if any problems.

Our unit is $235 a week, for 3 bedrooms with shower room, toilet, through living room/ kitchen and a laundry room, some agents can be a bit regimental! but ours is no problem at all. :notworthy:

We are fed up to the back teeth of inspections.It seems like every week we have to let some one in to inspect one thing or another.Fire inspections,alarm inspections,drainage,gas,gutters,air con etc etc.

So how did you explain the furry tail hanging out the back of your your knix err goin to afancy dress party mate lmbo

Guest guest17301

Hi Basil...you wouldn't mind if it was grime...it was bleeding shining was that clean just forgot to scrub the metal bits on the hob! I wouldn't mind but it was cleaner than when we moved in and we have made an inoperational retic ststem fully functional at our own cost as we cant stand brown grass!!

The contract doesn't state they have to give notice to enter the property? (usually 24hours and a mutually convenient time).

That's outrageous, in UK contracts there's a phrase about giving tenants 'quiet enjoyment' of the property.

The contract is regulated by each state reiwa inWA , ,like everything else here each state g=has its own laws

Guest mtcosby

they have to give notice to enter the property.. they are not allowed to just turn up on the doorstep and be allowed to come in.... we get phone calls from service people asking whens best for us.... but when its inspections we get 2 weeks notice then they just walk in....... whether we in or not!!!!!!:arghh:

I dont like them walkimg round the property when we are not there... it has all our furniture and personal things in there.... they shouldnt be allowed to do that ... we put anything thats personal in our car the night before they come....I dont trust them at all!!!

Hi Basil...you wouldn't mind if it was grime...it was bleeding shining was that clean just forgot to scrub the metal bits on the hob! I wouldn't mind but it was cleaner than when we moved in and we have made an inoperational retic ststem fully functional at our own cost as we cant stand brown grass!!

:no: mucky bugger, lol , soft lass dont fix the retic report it , bugger the brown grass costs you money in water bills , Kallaroo retic on workin 200 + for water usage , at somerly with the tiny garden 25 bucks they use loads retics and it aint your grass , leavethe ball in ther court to fix it

Mally

Guest Guest31881

48 hours notice normally and it has to be a written notice. if my agent just turned up they have no rights to enter. Even repaires we get 48 hours notice, When renting you are given a book detailing your rights and the rights of the landlord. Some agents do like to try and bend the rules, but they are very strict rules and the agent can be in serious trouble if you complain about them. If you are not given the book, then ask for it, they have to give you one, Well in QLD they do, it will be simmilar for other states.

Archived