State Migration Plan-What states are saying?...

cartertucker

According to the people I spoke with at the ACT, they technically only have one SS list. Just that some occupations have quotas and the others don't. There wasn't even a distinction on their website until after November. Prior to that it was just one big list.

When I applied in September there was a clear distinction between the 2. Baseline & off-list. Regardless of the list, there is a quota for each occupation. However, the entire off-list is limited to a maximum of 500 places so once they reach that they will no longer issue SS to those who are not on baseline.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I applied in September there was a clear distinction between the 2. Baseline & off-list. Regardless of the list, there is a quota for each occupation. However, the entire off-list is limited to a maximum of 500 places so once they reach that they will no longer issue SS to those who are not on baseline.

I clarified myself in a later post saying I applied in July and *though* it was November and apologised by being off by two months. Regardless, when the ACT tells me not to worry, I am not going to. Others have been told the same thing as me so I doubt numerous of us are being lied to.

I clarified myself in a later post saying I applied in July and *though* it was November and apologised by being off by two months. Regardless, when the ACT tells me not to worry, I am not going to. Others have been told the same thing as me so I doubt numerous of us are being lied to.

Correct, ACT will always try to act in the best interest of those it sponsored. After all, they want you to be there. Also, I feel that ACT pay that little extra special attention to the people they sponsor because fewer people actually want to move there. However, whilst ACT may submit everyone, be prepared for DIAC to pick the list to pieces, and remove whatever professions they deem 'unsuitable'.

Interesting... they say they want to try and get people in the regional areas. Well, with SS they are committed to a state not to a region, so I don't see how that will work out. Unless, they have some special surprise in store?

For me this artical is of a little value. In fact, it says about things that already exist. Like, the state will be able to attract migrants it needs. It has always been like this and no State Plan approved by the DIAC is needed.

It looks like a story for those who knows nothing about current Aus migration, in other words for locals.

Ok, so i got a response from ACT. Here it is:

Therein lies the problems with being bombarded with questions - sometimes the answers are not always clear. What I meant was we already have a off-list quota list in place and we will add all of the occupations from the baseline list (that are still relevant to Canberra) and anything else that is appropriate to Canberra for our new State Migration Plan skills in demand list.

The State Migration Plan means that the states will have more of a say in what is relevant to their own workforce and will be able to formulate a list of skills in demand around that. We no longer have to be restricted to the MODL and this also works the other way - we no longer must accept occupations that are on the MODL that may no longer be relevant to Canberra/ACT.

I hope this clarifies for you.

Still a little confusing, but I guess we will wait and see. This sounds like both baseline & off-list will be submitted.

Guest Gollywobbler

Still a little confusing, but I guess we will wait and see. This sounds like both baseline & off-list will be submitted.

Hi Mat

It sounds to me as if the ACT plan to do exactly what I would do in their shoes - ie shove everything into the draft SMP and leave the Minister to wield the red pen. He wants these SMPs. He didn't give the State Governments clear instructions about what he wants the SMPs to include. Therefore I would leave the Minister to do the work with the pen because that might focus his own woolly mind about exactly what he wants from these SMPs - and why - in the first place.

If I were a State Govt, I'd also shove a sting in the tail for good measure. According to the Minister, he and DIAC are competent to work an economic lever - ie what skills to allow into Australia in future. However apparently they are not really competent to work this economic lever, in fact, because they say that they are going to leave Skills Australia to decide what occupations should be in the new SOL.

How is it possible that the Minister/DIAC are not competent to say what should be on the new SOL but apparently they are competent to say what should be on an SMP? That is a contradiction of notions, surely?

Cheers

Gill

How is it possible that the Minister/DIAC are not competent to say what should be on the new SOL but apparently they are competent to say what should be on an SMP? That is a contradiction of notions, surely?

Cheers

Gill

Good question Gill!

I'm sure it's more about inside games rather than real science.

Guest archisami

hi,

Thanks for your try for clarification.

I don't see any dark spot in this response.

good for everyone in this thread,both lists are in their SMP.

Lets hope we'll be in the 2nd priority very soon . . . why not?:jiggy:

I think there is nothing to do now but to force them to draw up the list asap.

Update on WA State Migration Centres Website::wideeyed:

Notice they havent actually mentioned the new SMP, although they do refer you to the DIAC website for further details.....:v_SPIN:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

On 8 February 2010 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship announced several changes to the General Skilled Migration Program. These changes include the removal of the MODL, a new Skilled Occupation List, and the capping of GSM applications lodged before 1 September 2007. For further details please refer to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Due to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's (DIAC) decision to cap and cease GSM applications lodged before 1 September 2007, the State Migration Centre will no longer process sponsorship for these applications. Please refer to the DIAC website for further information.

State Migration Centre » Skilled Migration

It sounds to me as if the ACT plan to do exactly what I would do in their shoes - ie shove everything into the draft SMP and leave the Minister to wield the red pen. He wants these SMPs. He didn't give the State Governments clear instructions about what he wants the SMPs to include. Therefore I would leave the Minister to do the work with the pen because that might focus his own woolly mind about exactly what he wants from these SMPs - and why - in the first place.

He probably just wants to have the power to scrub hairdressers from any SMP.

Guest thescore
Update on WA State Migration Centres Website::wideeyed:

Notice they havent actually mentioned the new SMP, although they do refer you to the DIAC website for further details.....

Somewhere in this forum I saw this: "WA" actually means "Wait Awhile". :laugh:

BTW I'm also WA state sponsored and waiting for more information on their plan anxiously.:unsure:

Guest Gollywobbler
hi all,

Anyone hear anything from SA about SMP?

Violet

Hi Violet

SA have not said anything new. Like all the other States, they are grumbling that they have received no clear, detailed instructions from DIAC about how the new SMP is to be structured, so it sounds as if - like all the other States - they plan to put a draft together and then wait to see what happens at the Minister's end.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Violet S

Hi Gill and all,

Thanks for the update.

BTW, just wonder... wondering only... since the csl will be scrapped by mid of this year, does it mean it will move the cat 5, 6, and 7 will move up to 3, 4, and 5? Does it mean that the new cats will be processed faster? hehehe...

Thanks.

Violet

Hi Gill and all,

Thanks for the update.

BTW, just wonder... wondering only... since the csl will be scrapped by mid of this year, does it mean it will move the cat 5, 6, and 7 will move up to 3, 4, and 5? Does it mean that the new cats will be processed faster? hehehe...

Thanks.

Violet

For now the processing priority should not change from the new one released on the 8th. There will still be plenty of existing CSL applicants who will need to be processed. If you are in Priority 7 now, you should still be in priority 7 mid year.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cat 7 end up taking even longer than predicted, as more and more people are trying to switch from 175 to 176 in order to speed things up. Those who don't switch will remain at the end of the line.

Guest Violet S
For now the processing priority should not change from the new one released on the 8th. There will still be plenty of existing CSL applicants who will need to be processed. If you are in Priority 7 now, you should still be in priority 7 mid year.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cat 7 end up taking even longer than predicted, as more and more people are trying to switch from 175 to 176 in order to speed things up. Those who don't switch will remain at the end of the line.

hi matjones,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there is no changes for now, I understand that. But how about after the mid of the year...

Cheers,

Violet

hi matjones,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there is no changes for now, I understand that. But how about after the mid of the year...

Cheers,

Violet

I dont see it changing after mid year either. I only see it changing once all existing CSL apps are processed. Could be another year +. But what do I know ? :biggrin:

Hmm.. I don't think so.

As the history shows all new priority arrangements applied for all non finalised applicants. So, I think the new one will follow the procedure.

I think after 01/07/10 will have the priority game like this:

1. ENS

2. SS included in SMP

3. SOL independent

4. SS without SMP

5. All other.

No CSL, no regard towards the finalisation stage for an application. So, those independent who are now in CSL but don't have it after 1 July will fall into cat. 5. And, of course, vice versa

Guest archisami

Hi,

with best regards for every one,

two days without any post . . .!!

I'm afraid of this very very useful thread(specially for state sponsored applicants) is going to be forgotten.

So, please do not hesitate in sharing little little information,it would be vital for somebody.

ok,let's start . . . now regarding matjones good news we know that ACT IS going to have a SMP list full of occupations in Baselist and Offlist but it is one of the states/territories that hasn't declared when SMP will be released?(they didin't say mid of the year even)

any recent news?

(I read somewhere that Julianne O'Brien (client manager) is going to be in her office at ACT Skilled and Business Migration Business & Industry Development on march 1st,maybe she knows more . . .)

Well, I would say that this statement is a very positive one.....Really good news.....:yes:

Great to hear that they dont think it will have major changes & even better they say it will be published very soon!.....:wink:

Hi Caretrucker,

I spoke to our agent yesterday and she said that they have been told that the migration plan will be ready for April. She also said that in her opinion, the states may just add all the occupations that they have in demand on to the new migration plan list. In fact there may be a few additions. Personally I think that even if the time frame was July, it wouldn't leave enough time to assess all the occupations again, therefore what our agent thinks does make a lot of sense. Also, my relatives in WA have been telling me that because of the recent mining projects, WA is extremely short of trades and they are now flying in workers from Victoria which is costing a small fortune. Perth airport itself is too small to meet the demand of the mining companies. The mining companies have taken a lot of tradies from WA as well, leaving a shortage, so that can only be great news for all of us here who are heading West.

John Gilfillan:hug:

I dont see it changing after mid year either. I only see it changing once all existing CSL apps are processed. Could be another year +. But what do I know ? :biggrin:

The announcement on 8th Feb didnt say they would process all the CSL, they said that the CSL will not exist (like the modl) when they bring out the new SOL which is expected at the end of April. From this I think that no more applicants from the CSL will get processed, I mean new applicants won't be accepted after end April. I thought that around this time the State Migration Plan would come in effect, otherwise why would they scrap the CSL list if the SMP isn't up and running??? Confusing. Even more confusing because the states seem unsure on their lists or when they will be available. As always its a guessing game and we all have to wait and wait and wait :arghh:

Archived