Could I enter Oz on a 461 Visa & then Apply for a 475 Visa?

Guest rhk001

Hi can anyone help? we have a few questions around sorting out visas for Australia from the UK.

My Partner is a New Zealand Citizen which means that we could enter Australia and provided I follow her in I could get in on a sub class 461 this has some drawbacks especially if we settle and grow old so would prefer not to go that route.

As the 461 visa only takes 12 weeks and is a low cost would it be better to apply for this visa, enter Australia and then try to get a potential employer to sponsor me for a 457 visa ? (am I actually allowed to apply for another visa once I am in on the 461)

Or Would it just be best to take the risk enter on the 461, start my new life and make sure I get the right amount of insurance to cover me for medical, pension & disability.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Hi can anyone help? we have a few questions around sorting out visas for Australia from the UK.

My Partner is a New Zealand Citizen which means that we could enter Australia and provided I follow her in I could get in on a sub class 461 this has some drawbacks especially if we settle and grow old so would prefer not to go that route.

As the 461 visa only takes 12 weeks and is a low cost would it be better to apply for this visa, enter Australia and then try to get a potential employer to sponsor me for a 465 visa ? (am I actually allowed to apply for another visa once I am in on the 461)

Or Would it just be best to take the risk enter on the 461, start my new life and make sure I get the right amount of insurance to cover me for medical, pension & disability.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

What is the second visa you are referring to? You have put 475 in the thread title, 465 in the post and mentioned an employer sponsored visa, which would presumably be a 457 :wink:

A 475 visa is an offshore visa, you cannot apply for it whilst inside Australia, it is also a skilled visa, not an employer sponsored. Have never heard of a 465 visa.

So I am going to assume you meant the 457.

On the assumption you are eligible for the 461, there is nothing wrong with you coming over to Australia on that and then applying for another visa, such as the 457. I think it is a good idea to find another visa that provides you with more security than the 461 does.

Thanks for the reply Pumkin ;-)

You are right I did mean the 457 Sponsored visa. I think that may be the route that my partner & I will try, go in on the 461 and then look for a sponsor once we have settled down on the where we want to live & I have sorted out a decent job.

Archived