Bad Timing? Any Advice for an Engineer?

Guest pookycat

Guest pookycat

Hello everyone

I'm very new to POM in fact this is the first post :eek: but I'm sure not the last. My husband and I have been through the whole process of thinking about, telling family of plans (met with various degrees of excitement) and reading a lot. So imagine my surprise when I look at the various sites to discover that things are changing!!!!!!!!!

My husband is 40 and a senior building services engineer although that can be classed as mechanical in the engineering world I believe. Anyway he is fully chartered and very experienced which we thought would have been enough to get us on our way to applying for a lovely independent skilled visa...

I'm now not sure what on earth to do what with all these changes going on; I was going to get his skills assessed by Engineers Australia as this would be relatively simple due to his chartership but do I then approach an agent or best get advice first? I have read many places that the assessment is the hardest part but now with these changes I don't know what to do asides ramble a bit - sorry :embarrassed:

Can anyone suggest my first port of call?

x

hello and good luck , id try an agent for a chat anyway , better really to have the fact asap, try go mathilda , give em a google and a ring , im sure you will get advice so you can think your options etc ! all the best , and its a great site for rambling:wink:

Guest Mattias

Hello pookycat! Its my first post as well, and I'm an engineer, I also think that my skills will be assessed as a mechanical engineer. Im from Denmark but in the same situation as U. Im 36 and was going to apply for the 175, just having 105 points without modl and 120 WITH modl, and then my world fell apart....more or less, just making a point.

I dont know what to do either.

I think I will get my skills assessed, just so I have then in case things changes, U never know. My wife cant get skills points.

U could go for the state sponsored visa, I have heard but not all states have mechanical engineer on their list.

For me its problematic as I dont have funds to prove - I have heard that funds are not necessary to prove in any state, but cant figure our which one does not require funds....I will have funds once I go, in some years (aftyer a validation trip) but dont have them yet. I will let U guys know how my skills assessment turn out. Cheers Mattias.

Guest thebeatties

Hi there,

I am a civil engineer and also completed my assessment through engineers australia, the forms look huge and complicated, just take one step at a time, and if you have any problems then just phone EA. Thats what i did.

Got my 176 visa in November. Even better news got second interview next week.

Cheers

John

Guest Mattias
Hi there,

I am a civil engineer and also completed my assessment through engineers australia, the forms look huge and complicated, just take one step at a time, and if you have any problems then just phone EA. Thats what i did.

Got my 176 visa in November. Even better news got second interview next week.

Cheers

John

Good on you, John! Which state, and what funds did they expect you to bring or prove? About IEA, sure seems complicated, but I am doing it one step at a time, just begun to do my first career-episode - find the summary statement the craziest....But will probably get it as I go along:) Cheers.

Guest pookycat

Thanks guys for the info; I managed to get some chat time with some migration agents today and they were really helpful. It looks like state sponsorship now may be the way to go as opposed to waiting and seeing what comes out in the wash as these changes come through.

My husband and I are going to start reading up about different states for more info. Isn't it strange when things seem so easy...they usually are :rolleyes:

Oh well at least it looks like we may have a chance still to get to Oz which is the main thing :biggrin:

Archived