drowning in shipping quotes

Guest julesdeverne

Guest julesdeverne

can anyone recommend a shipping co. had quotes from Crown, shipping and eagle freight but would like some feedback on your experiences. we are moving from london to sydney in april so need to get my skates on

Guest guest33730

Try Doree Bonner, PSS and Pickfords - If you're really keen you could try John Mason's, whites and then if your really desperate Anglo Pacific.

Daniel

can anyone recommend a shipping co. had quotes from Crown, shipping and eagle freight but would like some feedback on your experiences. we are moving from london to sydney in april so need to get my skates on

Hi there,

We used Crowne last year - they weren't the cheapest, however our reason for using them was that they have another office in Aus. No subcontracting - so if there had have been a problem, Crowne was responsible and there was no where to pass the buck.

The packed up our house (3 bed semi) in less than a day and a half, the stuff arrived when they said it would and we had no problems with customs. (They did open and check stuff, but no quarantine issues) Nothing missing when it all arrived either.:biggrin:

On the down side, we have a heavy set chest of drawers that they must have put something heavy on at an angle in the container, and it cracked the top. :wideeyed:(Not one plate or glass broken mind you)

Good luck with your move!!

Cheers

Jules

i am currently shipping with white and company so cant say about service this side yet but in the uk cant fault them 2 guys wrapped and packed everything in 2 days and loaded container on my drive on 3rd day xxx take a look at my piccies on my profile and please pm me with any other questions xxxx good luck xxx

carole x

Guest guest33730
Hi, we have had quotes from a few.,. I seem quite boggled down with the shipping insurance. Did you use the shipping co insurance or your own, and how much did you pay?

Have a look at a new company - Removals Insurance | International Home Moving Insurance | from Insure Your Move - Their cover looks good at half the price of the shipping companies. I haven't used them yet but I am planning to for our move in June. (if anyone else has used them can you let me know how you got on)

Daniel

We have used Pickfords - container in transit. Our choice was mainly cost based and we used an independant insurance co to make it cheaper. On the sales service front and overall package, we would have liked to have used Crown but the pennies were too much.

Ok we used Crown for our move from UK to Melbourne and they were the best! The service was second to none both at the UK and AUS end, the container did get 'chosen' for inspection by customs BUT like an earlier post we had no issues or 'hidden' costs. Crown include AQIS inspection fees (not fumigation etc) and they gave (IMHO) the best advice from the UK end.

Everything went smoothly with the move and we were reunited with our things on Monday, and a bunch of flowers arrived from Crown this morning!! Not sure if this is normal but that is the kind of relationship we built with the company, although have to say I was a little disappointed they weren't an early Valentine's gift from the OH!!! Made my day though!!

We used the Birmingham office and Nick Berry's crew packed us up at the UK end (just make sure you have LOADS of sugar in - they all drink tea/coffee with 2 sugars) , good luck with your move.

Karen x

can i be really cheeky and ask roughly how much it cost to ship your bits and bobs, for example a 3 bed house to melbourne?

Hi Piglet,

We used Crowne to move from Milton Keynes to Melbourne a year ago (3 bed), and it cost £4,300. That included all customs costs - if anything had needed to be fumigated or destroyed we would have had to pay extra.

Cheers

Jules

• 1 month later...
i am currently shipping with white and company so cant say about service this side yet but in the uk cant fault them 2 guys wrapped and packed everything in 2 days and loaded container on my drive on 3rd day xxx take a look at my piccies on my profile and please pm me with any other questions xxxx good luck xxx

carole x

Hi Carole

Just wondered if your stuff has arrived yet?? We are considering using White & Co and hoping to hear a good response from you :wink:

We used Crown last year when we moved from Suffolk to Sydney. Wouldn't use them again. We had been quoted £4200 for sole use of a 20ft container, and were told that because it was sole use, it would get there quicker at 8-12 weeks (rather than waiting for it to be filled). So, as we have children, we decided to pay the extra cost (they were the most expensive) and go with them. The packers were great, as were the unpackers and aside from a couple of things that we found that we had asked them not to pack, and a dented bin, nothing was broken at all.

However, once our things were at sea, we had a letter from them stating that they were going to charge us an extre £600 or so because we had exceeded our quote amount (don't know how, it all fitted easily in the container and there were actually several items such as a range cooker and church pew that we had decided not to bring). Hubby phoned to say that we weren't happy to pay because as far as we were concerned we had paid what we had been quoted for, and aside from a couple of little bits and bobs (airing racks and two deckchairs) extra, which were more than cancelled out by the things we didn't take, they knew what was coming with us. Anyway, our contact at Crown in the UK said that he would have to check about the extra with his supervisor, and then charged our UK credit card anyway, which we did not know about until the statement arrived via hubbys mum weeks later.

After we had been here for about 12 weeks, we had had no contact from the Sydney end at all, so we phoned and phoned, to be told that it hadn't arrived. After about 16 weeks, hubby phoned and was told that they had been trying to contact us (they hadn't) because it had arrived but we had apparently not supplied the paperwork (we had). They accused hubby of being a liar, and only after we photocopied and resent the paperwork that we had already given to them, they admitted that it had been lost.

The packers/unpackers were great, but the office staff were rude and unhelpful, and to be honest didn't do a very good job. I believe that because they knew that we had had several quotes, they underquoted to make themselves seem more attractive (or just through a poor assesment from the estimator, I guess), and then charged the extra once it was at sea and we could do nothing about it (the guy from the London office told us that our things wouldn't be released until it had been paid).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Carole

Just wondered if your stuff has arrived yet?? We are considering using White & Co and hoping to hear a good response from you :wink:

hi there i have posted on shipping thread about white & co !!!! fantastic service

carole

Archived