Joiners, Carpenters, Plumbers, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc etc etc

Proview220

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally don't think that us tradies have much to worry about. My Oh is a cabinetmaker, and I have looked at the new MODL list released as of feb 8th 2010 and there are quite a few trades still on here, as well as ours. PHEW!!!! Is Your Occupation in Demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration.

Even though our application has already been submitted and we are not going to loose any points, and wouldn't because we are still on the list, it is good to know that were are still on this list and our trade is in such a demand. Hopefully in the long run this will mean that things are pushed through quicker for us all still on this list!!!

Well my OH - Joiner is still on the list, so fingers crossed it stays like that !! Thanks

Guest rachbarlow

All I think is if our occupations are STILL on this list post 8th feb, and for new applicants this list is N/A, (that's the way I understand it!), it is good news for those of us in the system??

Here is some positive sign, for good dreams:

Skills shortage returns to Australia as economy improves:biggrin:

The most highly sought after people are those aged under 45 with six to seven years experience in a trade especially in specific jobs such as automotive electricians, car mechanics, furniture upholsterers, welders, tool makers, roofers, tilers, carpenters, brick layers, plumbers and chefs.

mhhh i've got a strong feeling that the cabinetmakers are still some of the unlucky guys:arghh:

Hi Why cabinetmakers??? have they had bad news??

in the most of the news the speech is nearlly everytime "Joiner,Carpenter, Furniture...." both quite seldome "cabinetmaker!" NO idea why but is true!

Hi all, I've been in Perth for nearly six months now and I haven't managed to find a plumbing job! There are jobs advertised and I've applied for a lot of them, this is only what's happened to me, I'm sure their are others out here that have found a job, so I don't want to put anyone off! I just thought I'd post this so u know it's not gonna be easy! The main thing I am being asked when I call or apply is....what west Australian experience do u have??? Obviously I haven't any and then I don't hear from them again even if I call back! When u get here u need to apply for your plumbing licence $200?? I think, then u have to do a migrants course with the books it's about $900(it's easy but it's a week long) I'd recommend getting yr gas license as well recently I was told it's about 2.5 weeks long and costs $2500 ish.

Even with that some do still ask about wa experience!!! I'm popping over to Melbourne for a few days to c if it's any better out there! Once again some people can and will find work I just wanted to post this as I wish someone had done so before I sold everything and came out!

Nice and sunny tho!!! Lol

anyone kno wat plumbing work situ is like in the south east?? Just in case....;0)

Just wondering if anyone is yet to apply for a visa. I am just in the process of getting all my letters/certs for the TRA for Carpenter/Joiner and will then be applying for visa. Am hoping tradies will get some good news mid 2010. Wondering if anyone is holiding off on their visa application until they know what exactly is happening.

Just wondering if anyone is yet to apply for a visa. I am just in the process of getting all my letters/certs for the TRA for Carpenter/Joiner and will then be applying for visa. Am hoping tradies will get some good news mid 2010. Wondering if anyone is holiding off on their visa application until they know what exactly is happening.

Hi tfarrell

Already got my positive trade assessment for Carpentry, Just waiting for my WA SS ( hopefully mid March ) then I think I will put my application straight in and hope the DIAC and W.A. still want me.:notworthy:

Cheers

Carlos

Guest rachbarlow
mhhh i've got a strong feeling that the cabinetmakers are still some of the unlucky guys:arghh:

When I read your posts, not being funny, but they are depressing!!!!!! :cry:My OH is a cabinetmaker, we would NOT be on the new feb MODL list I attached the other day, or on WA SS list if we were not wanted!!!!! We would not have got WA SS if we were not needed. All these new immigrants need houses, they ALL need kitchens bedrooms and bathrooms, esp the new ones being built!!!!!!

Keep positive..................it is the only way forward. I don't think that when they make speeches they are going to say every last trade on the list, or they would be there for a good 5 mins just reaming off trades. We are on the lists...............we are wanted...........please stay positive!!!!!!!

P.S. waiting game it HAS to be cat2!!!! (please!!!!!!)

Guest Freudian Slip
I had just got in touch with Go matilda a couple of days before the Feb 8th fiasco, to get the ball rolling and got a reply, but basically told me they would re-contact me when they had more info regarding the changes, being a tradie, taper/jointer (fibrous plasterer) im stuck in limbo as i dont know where we stand or what happens next or if we will even get a chance to lodge for a visa, im debating wheather to go ahead and get my AQF III done or wait till i hear more back from go matilda, What would you do????

Hi Scotty

sdp is a solid plasterer,( I am his Mrs who has just hijacked his username,) he is working away at the moment, but when he gets back I am sure he will advise/help you anyway he can.

We started the ball rolling early this year, our agent advised us to try and get the visa lodged before 1st of July 2010.

At first we thought, well yeah, he is bound to advise us in that direction because he has a business to run. But I suppose you have to put trust in someone at some point, so why not trust someone who has just taken a load of money off us :huh:................:laugh:

Sarcasm aside .........Yes we are going ahead with the visa application, and fingers crossed it will work out, it's a huge risk I know, but it is for many other people too, so you are not on your own, good luck!:biggrin:

Regards, Gill.

Hi tfarrell

Already got my positive trade assessment for Carpentry, Just waiting for my WA SS ( hopefully mid March ) then I think I will put my application straight in and hope the DIAC and W.A. still want me.:notworthy:

Cheers

Carlos

Bet you cant wait carlos, when you get the ss it feels good to get on to the next stage, do you think we will get our visa this year, I lodged myself on the 10th Dec 2009, I hope i can see light at the end of the tunnel.....................

good luck

proview

how you doing, what stage are you upto with ss??? what ever happened to all you stuff you was shipping over??

proview

hi am ok i suppose, hows all you? no ss yet but now just praying for 175 instead of 176, should get ss soon was july 6th application. yea stuff in storage there, nightmare !!!, if dont get visa this year will def give up and buy house again get stuff back etc sick of life on hold , been on hold nearly 2 years , bit of hope though that we will all hear soon , good luck !!!

hi am ok i suppose, hows all you? no ss yet but now just praying for 175 instead of 176, should get ss soon was july 6th application. yea stuff in storage there, nightmare !!!, if dont get visa this year will def give up and buy house again get stuff back etc sick of life on hold , been on hold nearly 2 years , bit of hope though that we will all hear soon , good luck !!!

You must stay focus on the 175 or the 176 ss, once you have secured the ss then you will feel as though you are making progress, its very hard trying to keep up the good spirit for a good out come, but with all us people on PIO im sure we will get there soon, I have a good feeling many trades will jump up to cat 2 although nothing is for sure, but lets all keep our fingers crossed, Must admit this Forum does keep me going and gives me hope with all the good vibes from most people.

good luck guys

Proview

You must stay focus on the 175 or the 176 ss, once you have secured the ss then you will feel as though you are making progress, its very hard trying to keep up the good spirit for a good out come, but with all us people on PIO im sure we will get there soon, I have a good feeling many trades will jump up to cat 2 although nothing is for sure, but lets all keep our fingers crossed, Must admit this Forum does keep me going and gives me hope with all the good vibes from most people.

good luck guys

Proview

i no we will but if not heard this year we will give up. yea hope april gives good news to us all. this forum keeps me going to everyone is very helpful and supportive. good luck to you too, you are not in a rush to go is this correct?? it would be good for you to have visa now though eh?? thanks!!!!

Bet you cant wait carlos, when you get the ss it feels good to get on to the next stage, do you think we will get our visa this year, I lodged myself on the 10th Dec 2009, I hope i can see light at the end of the tunnel.....................

good luck

proview

Hi Proview

Its the waiting, its a killer.....

My guess is that the DIAC will put SS up to cat 2..... if this were to be true I am not holding my breath for getting my visa this year, presuming I apply in March.

Just hope the DIAC dont cock up the system again with these new changes due in April/July....

Cheers

Carlos

When I read your posts, not being funny, but they are depressing!!!!!! :cry:My OH is a cabinetmaker, we would NOT be on the new feb MODL list I attached the other day, or on WA SS list if we were not wanted!!!!! We would not have got WA SS if we were not needed. All these new immigrants need houses, they ALL need kitchens bedrooms and bathrooms, esp the new ones being built!!!!!!

Keep positive..................it is the only way forward. I don't think that when they make speeches they are going to say every last trade on the list, or they would be there for a good 5 mins just reaming off trades. We are on the lists...............we are wanted...........please stay positive!!!!!!!

P.S. waiting game it HAS to be cat2!!!! (please!!!!!!)

Hi rachbarlow,

we should have a thread only for ...............we are wanted...........please stay positive!!!!!!! for comments that are positive especially when we need a pick me up Thanks Tania:biggrin:

Archived