Joiners, Carpenters, Plumbers, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc etc etc

Proview220

Guest June Pixie

Haha Tanjev - What I meant was he is a German cabinet maker, but is not in Bath. He studied his 4 year apprenticeship in Müllheim.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha Tanjev - What I meant was he is a German cabinet maker, but is not in Bath. He studied his 4 year apprenticeship in Müllheim.

uff thx god ;-) so we both have a 100% chance again:idea:

get my fingers crosed for your guys!!!!

Lets keep the fingers crossed for all the trades !! My OH is a joiner applying for QLD and am just hoping there on the new list for July but some reason i have a sneeky feeling it wont be....dont know why am just used to back luck with applying for this visa !! My fella did his vetesse test exactly a year ago yesterday and still not any closer !!

Hi,

Lets say for discussions sake that Joiner/Carpenter is taken off the list for Queensland, then surely we would be allowed to apply for another state where these trades are in demand rather than waiting?

Of course we would have to go through the process of applying to another state and waiting even more, but hopefully its an option for us applicants to consider if things dont turn out in our favour.

Queensland is the second fastest growing state in Australia, after Western Australia so surely they will need us trades to help with growth. But like always, we have to wait.

I bet if 'waiting' was an Olympic sport then we would have some serious athlete's on this site, Team GB would top the medals list by far. :biglaugh:

Cheers

Matt

Hi,

Lets say for discussions sake that Joiner/Carpenter is taken off the list for Queensland, then surely we would be allowed to apply for another state where these trades are in demand rather than waiting?

Of course we would have to go through the process of applying to another state and waiting even more, but hopefully its an option for us applicants to consider if things dont turn out in our favour.

Queensland is the second fastest growing state in Australia, after Western Australia so surely they will need us trades to help with growth. But like always, we have to wait.

I bet if 'waiting' was an Olympic sport then we would have some serious athlete's on this site, Team GB would top the medals list by far. :biglaugh:

Cheers

Matt

After the Indians maybe ;-) Friend of mine work in QLD in the Yacht industry and he told me 1 month before its quite difficult to find a job as joiner/cabinetmaker there at the moment. This is only for the Yacht / Boat industry!! i got no idea about other sectors!

Guest bindog1uk

Hi Matt, it shouldn't affect us now as far as visa's go as ours have already been lodged, the only way it will affect us is jobwise. By the time we get our visa's they should be near out of recession and hopefully on the road to recovery. Look on the brightside you and Paul can always go out for a dive while you are waiting for a job:wink:Cheers Lesley

Hi Matt, it shouldn't affect us now as far as visa's go as ours have already been lodged, the only way it will affect us is jobwise. By the time we get our visa's they should be near out of recession and hopefully on the road to recovery. Look on the brightside you and Paul can always go out for a dive while you are waiting for a job:wink:Cheers Lesley

Hi lesley,

Yeah I totally forgot about that, we could spend our time diving until we find a job. Good idea lesley :biggrin:

I read a while ago that the recession hardly hit Australia as they were well prepared due to seeing the effects it had to other countries but now I hear from PIO, that Oz is in recession.

By the time we get out there hopefully Australia will be out of recession and work would have picked up.

Now all we can do is....wait. I am telling you, we should contact the Olympic committee and have 'waiting' as an olympic sport! :biggrin: Just think of the gold medals we could win.

Matt

My OH is a fiberous plasterer, or suspended ceiling fixer/ dry wall liner and as far as I can see he is the only one on PIO, so I am hoping that due to the lack of them migrating to Oz he may be in demand, :biggrin:Wishfull thinking, Lesley:wink:

Hi Lesley,

I think there are a few dry liners lurking in the corners of PIO. We are one of those families! Good luck to us!

What concerns me with those tradies who have yet to apply for a visa is that the government have stated that the SOL will be made up of highly skilled jobs. Without wanting to offend any tradie as being married to one I know that it takes years to gain experience, respect and knowledge of the job, but are they really classed as highly skilled jobs? Compared to, for example, a marine biologistor speech therapist which take years at uni to train up as. We've already applied and apparently will be processed under the current guidelines but who is to say this will change, or they will frown upon these tradies?

I also am interested in knowing whether it is important to Oz when looking at applications if they take into account how much a family can bring to Australia in terms of finance and future generation (male children). I know they say it isn't but is it something they look at? Or do we think it should it be something they look at?

Kate

I just cant see oz being as bad as the UK workwise,or at least as bad as my area anyway,which is north west.

I havnt seen a bricklaying job in the lpool echo for a year!Yet there is ads for building courses next to the non existant building+construction section,"learn plumbing in 2 days"!

"learn bricklaying in a day" etc etc,makes me ####### laff,i tell yer.

I was over in adelaide april/may and at least there was jobs advertised,im pretty sure its a lot harder than it was over there,but i cant see it being as bad as here,could be wrong tho i suppose,hope im not tho!

My OH is a fiberous plasterer, or suspended ceiling fixer/ dry wall liner and as far as I can see he is the only one on PIO, so I am hoping that due to the lack of them migrating to Oz he may be in demand, :biggrin:Wishfull thinking, Lesley:wink:

Hi Lesley

Your OH trade is advertised for in the job section of the local paper most weeks. Good luck.

Lance.

Guest bindog1uk
Hi Lesley,

I think there are a few dry liners lurking in the corners of PIO. We are one of those families! Good luck to us!

What concerns me with those tradies who have yet to apply for a visa is that the government have stated that the SOL will be made up of highly skilled jobs. Without wanting to offend any tradie as being married to one I know that it takes years to gain experience, respect and knowledge of the job, but are they really classed as highly skilled jobs? Compared to, for example, a marine biologistor speech therapist which take years at uni to train up as. We've already applied and apparently will be processed under the current guidelines but who is to say this will change, or they will frown upon these tradies?

I also am interested in knowing whether it is important to Oz when looking at applications if they take into account how much a family can bring to Australia in terms of finance and future generation (male children). I know they say it isn't but is it something they look at? Or do we think it should it be something they look at?

Kate

Hi Kate, I agree with you OH has been Fiberous plasterer for over twenty years and his Knowledge and experience is vast, even to the extent that the reseccion hasn't affected him. He sub-contracts out to firms, but because they know how good his work is they have kept him going, surely this must be better than someone who has just learnt the trade. I think that if tradies are on the new list they will have to proccess those that have applied first if they are on the list.Does your OH do ceilings as well or just dry lining?Lesley

Guest bindog1uk
Hi Lesley

Your OH trade is advertised for in the job section of the local paper most weeks. Good luck.

Lance.

Hi lance, thats good news for us, can you just let the goverment know that:mad:. We never see his job advertised over here, it's always by word of mouth. when we get nearer to getting visa's we will def be looking to see what is advertised in Queensland,don't suppose you know roughly what fiberous plasterers are earning at the moment over there, any info will be helpfull. Cheers Lesley:biggrin:

Hi lance, thats good news for us, can you just let the goverment know that:mad:. We never see his job advertised over here, it's always by word of mouth. when we get nearer to getting visa's we will def be looking to see what is advertised in Queensland,don't suppose you know roughly what fiberous plasterers are earning at the moment over there, any info will be helpfull. Cheers Lesley:biggrin:

Not met no dri liners yet but what I've seen it is done the same in OZ as the UK.

As for wages I was a plasterer in the UK and I'm a renderer in OZ. Dri liners in OZ are called plasterers. Work could be better but picking up. Wages are higher than UK and the drive to work gets you out of bed in the morning.

Luv Lance

Guest bindog1uk
Not met no dri liners yet but what I've seen it is done the same in OZ as the UK.

As for wages I was a plasterer in the UK and I'm a renderer in OZ. Dri liners in OZ are called plasterers. Work could be better but picking up. Wages are higher than UK and the drive to work gets you out of bed in the morning.

Luv Lance

Cheers Lance, can't wait to get out there, all that sunshine and outdoor living [for me] while OH goes of to work:laugh:Lesley

Guest bindog1uk
Hi I'm not too sure whats been happening but when do we find out if these trades are affected. As my partner is a welder, so we need to find out as will be applying under his name. Thanks.

Hi there, not sure yet if it's end of April or July1st, think the later, sure someone else will pop up with a bit more info, but it wont be for a while yet. Cheers Lesley

Hi Kate, I agree with you OH has been Fiberous plasterer for over twenty years and his Knowledge and experience is vast, even to the extent that the reseccion hasn't affected him. He sub-contracts out to firms, but because they know how good his work is they have kept him going, surely this must be better than someone who has just learnt the trade. I think that if tradies are on the new list they will have to proccess those that have applied first if they are on the list.Does your OH do ceilings as well or just dry lining?Lesley

No offence meant,but theres hundreds of thousands of us out there who have "vast knowledge and experience",and the recession HAS affected us regardless of this.

Good luck to your husband,but im just pointing out that knowledge and experience dont mean the recession wont affect you,as thousands of us know.

Guest bindog1uk

Hi Pablo, absolutely, did not mean to be disrespectfull towards others at all, only trying to point out that all of you tradies should be highly required and respected for all your trades by the Oz goverment and they should be welcoming of such a good workforce wanting to move to there country. You all have such a whelth of knowledge between you all, especially those of you who have in the trade for a long time, experianced people are hard to come by and I would certainly not disrespect any of you. Cheers Lesley

Hi Pablo, absolutely, did not mean to be disrespectfull towards others at all, only trying to point out that all of you tradies should be highly required and respected for all your trades by the Oz goverment and they should be welcoming of such a good workforce wanting to move to there country. You all have such a whelth of knowledge between you all, especially those of you who have in the trade for a long time, experianced people are hard to come by and I would certainly not disrespect any of you. Cheers Lesley

Hiya lesley,no i didnt think for 1 minute you were being disrespectfull,honestly.

I was just thinking out loud "kind of thing",thats all,like i said..no offence meant.

But i was just saying i know every bricklaying subbie in the north west,been setting brick nearly 30 years,and have a decent name(maybe not on PIO tho:biglaugh:)but it hasnt helped.

Honestly,please dont think i was "having a pop",just saying that experience/contacts etc dont allways help,not when its as bad as it is now anyway.

Btw,good luck to you and all the others waiting on your visa:wink:

Guest bindog1uk

Cheers Pablo, must be really hard for a lot of people and really frustraiting, wanting to work, but just not given the opportunity. Hears hoping that things will improve once we finally all get to OZ. Good luck for your future. Lesley

Cheers Pablo, must be really hard for a lot of people and really frustraiting, wanting to work, but just not given the opportunity. Hears hoping that things will improve once we finally all get to OZ. Good luck for your future. Lesley

I "could" have been there since we got the visa in june 08!

Getting the visa hasnt been the be all and end all tho im afraid.

Still a hse to sell etc,but ive said this before,the people like yourselves who are going through the minefield of getting a visa "now" deserve a gold medal,not just a visa tag!

I thought i had a headwrecking time of it getting the old PR 136 visa,but when i see people having to take vetasses etc and the changes all the time,i realise we had it easy compared to now.

Hopefully it will be worth all the hard work you've all put in lesley,tara and good luck

Guest rachbarlow

I personally don't think that us tradies have much to worry about. My Oh is a cabinetmaker, and I have looked at the new MODL list released as of feb 8th 2010 and there are quite a few trades still on here, as well as ours. PHEW!!!! Is Your Occupation in Demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration.

Even though our application has already been submitted and we are not going to loose any points, and wouldn't because we are still on the list, it is good to know that were are still on this list and our trade is in such a demand. Hopefully in the long run this will mean that things are pushed through quicker for us all still on this list!!!

Just had a look at the MODL list , even though we have had our visas since 2007:chatterbox:!

Its good to know that Bricklaying is still on there as hopefully that means there may be a chance at finding a job.

OH is the builder ...not me ...and although he can do all the other building trades to a certain degree , we definitely need to go where the demand for bricklayers is .

We were all set for Tasmania but recently had to re-think and look elsewhere.

We haven't had such a hard time as the guy in Liverpool as work has ticked over here...nothing amazing but we have had people wanting work done and are fully booked til June.....so as long as we sell within the year coming we will leave for Oz 6mths later.

Good luck to everyone on their way or still doing the application xx

I personally don't think that us tradies have much to worry about. My Oh is a cabinetmaker, and I have looked at the new MODL list released as of feb 8th 2010 and there are quite a few trades still on here, as well as ours. PHEW!!!! Is Your Occupation in Demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration.

Even though our application has already been submitted and we are not going to loose any points, and wouldn't because we are still on the list, it is good to know that were are still on this list and our trade is in such a demand. Hopefully in the long run this will mean that things are pushed through quicker for us all still on this list!!!

Good positive post Rachel.....:yes: (have clicked your chicken for that)!

My husbands occupation is too on the list.....

All we can do now, is hope....:notworthy:

Guest rachbarlow
Good positive post Rachel.....(have clicked your chicken for that)!

My husbands occupation is too on the list.....

All we can do now, is hope....

Thank you Kelly... I like my chicken clicked!!! haha!!

I was thinking of all the PIO peeps I have met. I have learned that the only way to go forward in this process is to pick out the positives!! I know my posts may always sound a bit around the houses, but it all makes perfect sence when you go that way around!! :twitcy:

When I was looking at the feb MODL I was thinking of all the peeps on here in trades I have come across, so all I can say Kelly is looking good...........................:biggrin: (Hopefully!!!!!)

Glad to see solid plasterer is still on the list...:notworthy:

Does anyone know what trades were actually taken off? The list looks the same to me?!

Archived