Changes to MODL - 8 Feb 2010

ptlabs

Guest stelstar

Hi-

I think this may have lost me 15 points I was going to claim under the modl (as a qualified accountant).

Which takes me from 130 points down to 115.

I only qualified as an accountant in September 2008, but prior to that, I have had two roles, both of which were in finance, do you think it would be possible for me to claim 10 points under "specific work experience"?

Otherwise I believe I am screwed. Extremely annoying as I have just:

1. Renewed my passport

2. Sat IELTS test a couple of weeks ago

3. Received back all academic and professional exam results certified

and am just about to send off for skills assessment, details are as follows

1. Age 28

2. Qualified accountant (from Sept 2008)

3. worked in finance for 6 years

Would really appreciate any feedback as I would rather know now if my dream can no longer become a reality.

Planned to submit application - but not sure there is much point now

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a question.

Every newspaper article copy-paste the same notion that "The Immigration Minister will get the power to set a maximum number of visas that may be granted"

Where do they get it from? This last news don't say anything like this. Or am I wrong?

Then, I don't really understand what the purpose for states to have 2 lists is. If they sponsor people then it's obvious they want to see them soon. Not just after 3 years of waiting but almost right now. I know minister wants be a center guy who aproves everything in the Aus little world, but states do not need two lists. It's just stupid!

Yes, one would think that having 2 lists would be superfluous as the current state sponsored occupations are supposed to be 'in demand' and as you say, Mcklaut, the states would want them sooner. We can only hope that the states just add every occupation on their main list, to the new 'state migration plan'. Although if that were the case then cat 5 wouldn't exist anymore.

Based on the wording of the Priority 2, I begin to wonder if it may not even be based on occupations, but may allow states to nominate individuals depending on how valuable they assess that individual to be when they file their state sponsorship.

I was surprised that we haven't been provided with more information on what this new 'state migration plan' is, and sent an email to ACT Skilled & Business Migration (my state sponsor) for further clarification. Here is their response:

We were not privy to the new changes being publicly released today and as such do not as yet have a plan in place to manage these changes. Once we do, we will advise all applicants what these changes will be.

Did DIAC consult with the state sponsorship offices at all?

Have a question.

Every newspaper article copy-paste the same notion that "The Immigration Minister will get the power to set a maximum number of visas that may be granted"

Where do they get it from? This last news don't say anything like this. Or am I wrong?

This also concerned me too.. As I had not read that in any of the material. Maybe he will clarify that in his speech.

Guest rooperman

Wow. Just been trying to get my head round these new changes!

Firstly I think it is awful that some people (2007 applicants) will have their applications stopped. I think this sets a bad precedent for anybody who has had their application in the pipeline for a while already. I was hoping that these changes would help those who have already been waiting so long for a decision.

Secondly, like others have mentioned I can't understand why states would have too sponsorship list. Surely their list already show the relevant skills in demand. What could be the difference between the two? I currently have NSW sponsorship. I don't think many people apply for this as NSW wanted skills list is relatively small, and most of those are on the CSL - so because of fairly fast approval times for those on the CSL, people have not needed SS as well.

It is going to be interesting in the coming days to see how people with more know-how than me explain all the changes!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Im a little confused about something in one of the documents:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-sol.pdf

It states:

Q 6 Who will the new SOL apply to?

The new SOL will apply to all new GSM applicants from mid-2010, except those applicants who, at 8 February 2010:

• hold a Skilled—Graduate (subclass 485) visa, or had a pending subclass 485 visa application and had not yet lodged an application for a provisional or permanent GSM visa and who make an application by 31 December 2012, or

• had a pending GSM visa application.

How can a 'new GSM applicant' have a pending GSM application? Doesn't make sense to be listed as the second exception. Unless i'm missing something.

Guest bebac30

I have just got response from Victoria about State Migration plan, which i sent few hours ago. From this reply i would say they have been already consulted and they are waiting for approval from Minister or... whatever...

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your email.

As at 8 February 2010, the minister has not approved any state migration plans. Please keep checking DIAC's website for future updates.

Kind regards,

Skilled and Business Migration Program

Workforce Victoria

Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development

GPO Box 4509, Melbourne, Victoria 3000LiveInVictoria.vic.gov.au |www.employment.vic.gov.au

Guest rooperman
I have just got response from Victoria about State Migration plan, which i sent few hours ago. From this reply i would say they have been already consulted and they are waiting for approval from Minister or... whatever...

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your email.

As at 8 February 2010, the minister has not approved any state migration plans. Please keep checking DIAC's website for future updates.

Kind regards,

Skilled and Business Migration Program

Workforce Victoria

Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development

GPO Box 4509, Melbourne, Victoria 3000LiveInVictoria.vic.gov.au |www.employment.vic.gov.au

This is certainly interesting news! Can't wait to see what this special migration plan is all about for each state, and how it is going to differ from the current SS lists.

Well, having cap & cease for 2007 only does one thing.... sets a precedent...

this means that the same can be implemented for 2008 and 2009 applicants at some point in the future should he desire. This is a great way for them to remove the backlog of applicants. Admittedly I would be pi**ed if it happened to me, but at least they are refunding. I wonder how many people this actually applies to? Maybe the cap is high enough to include everyone who is outstanding in this group (no one will be rejected and no one pissed), and is just a backhanded way to set precedent.

Exactly my thoughts. So many potential immigrants who have already lodged for PR, are facing a wait of between 2/3 years, so based on the fact that approximately 20.000 pre sept 2007 applicants can now be refused, what security is there for the rest of us!

Question.

My occupation was removed from the SA occupation list after I got my state sponsorship and my occupation is not on MODL. Would that mean I am not in any better category? What if in the State Migration Plan, my occupation is not listed? what will happen to my application?

Is it too late if a visa is lodged today. My agent advised to wait until we receivced SS before we lodged application but if we lose 15 points then I dont think we will have enough because of OH age, he is 45 in May.

The pass mark for state sponsorship is 100, so if you actually qualify for 175 then losing 15 points for MODL would put you at 105, no? You should check on the DIAC website points calculator.

After 3 years of wait. Successful work verification, medical and PCC I found a news that they will reject my case....Well please is there any rule of law in Australia........Whom do I contact now. Can some body listen to the cries of family.... I wasted my 3 years in the hope that my future is in the hands of Australian officials.This is one of the disasters struck on me.

Well, somebody tell me what is cease and cap level for particular category.I asked my brother today who is equally surprised by the move . I got his call last night he said he is equally shocked by this. decision.He will meet my agent today in Melbourne.

IS there any hope for people like me now?Or all red. Can we complaint somewhere on this move to somebody.

Guest Gollywobbler
Is it too late if a visa is lodged today. My agent advised to wait until we receivced SS before we lodged application but if we lose 15 points then I dont think we will have enough because of OH age, he is 45 in May.

Hi Grainne

You cannot take advantage of the MODL points (15) today if this is what you mean?

What does your OH do, please? That is, what occupation does he intend to nominate for his visa? His occupation is by far the most important question just at the moment, hun, because that will determine exactly how much of a risk you should consider taking.

You have asked WA for your SS, I believe?

Cheers

Gill

After 3 years of wait. Successful work verification, medical and PCC I found a news that they will reject my case....Well please is there any rule of law in Australia........Whom do I contact now. Can some body listen to the cries of family.... I wasted my 3 years in the hope that my future is in the hands of Australian officials.This is one of the disasters struck on me.

Well, somebody tell me what is cease and cap level for particular category.I asked my brother today who is equally surprised by the move . I got his call last night he said he is equally shocked by this. decision.He will meet my agent today in Melbourne.

IS there any hope for people like me now?Or all red. Can we complaint somewhere on this move to somebody.

I really feel for you. I think its too early for the details of the cap and cease program. One can only hope that yours is one of those applications that makes it through the net. In terms of back up plans, do you think you would be able to qualify for a visa under current visa requirements? Do you have skills that would make you eligible for employer sponsored visa?

With 20,000 angry people, I don't think a refund of fees alone would suffice and make people feel any better.

Guest Gollywobbler
I will commit suicide today and write that cause is these changes........

Hi VB

I can understand your anguish but please do NOT do anything dramatic. Killing yourself - the main visa applicant - would not help anybody, my friend.

Sit tight for a while, I suggest. Meanwhile make a FUSS to the Australian Ambassador to your own country and to your country's Ambassador in Canberra.

Hugs

Gill

xx

Well guys my agent is saying there is a good news for me. I did not talk to him till now....

Q 17 I have been granted a provisional GSM visa and my spouse now wishes to join me, will they be able to do so?

Yes, applications for subsequent entrants for provisional GSM visas are exempt from priority processing arrangements. The provisional GSM visas are:

• Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)

• Skilled—Graduate (subclass 485)

• Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)

• Skilled—Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 496)

• Skilled—Independent Regional (subclass 495).

Guest janagaraja
I'm glad that they highlighted the fact that the current system turns away highly educated professionals, because they fall short in the current points system, yet allows hairdressers in. No offense to hairdressers, but I don't think the shortage of hairdressers could seriously affect the future development and prosperity of Australia. It just means you might have to wait 2 weeks instead of 1 week for a hairdo appointment.

Now where is the emoticon that says "goes into hiding, cowering from scissor wielding blood thirsty hairdressers" :wink:

Having said that Hairdressers may turn up on the new SOL and my view could be entirely wrong.

Hi

It is mere stupidy that the hairdressers are ahead of harvard university graduate .There is no value for education and skills.

cheers

jana

Archived