New MODL being released on Mon 8 Feb 2010

Guest Migration Help

Guest Migration Help

According to the Minister of Immigration a new MODL will be annnounced on Monday as well as a number of other changes to both the General Skilled Migration programme as well as the temporary business sponsored 457 visa.

Skilled migration shake-up

YUKO NARUSHIMA

February 6, 2010

THE federal government is set to overhaul Australia's skilled migration program, but industry bodies fear it will throw the flagging international education sector into further disarray.

The changes, due to be announced by Immigration Minister Chris Evans on Monday, will include amendments to the ''migration occupations in demand'' list, which sets out areas where skilled workers are needed and awards ''points'' to migrants applying to work in these areas.

The changes, which are aimed at meeting the country's long-term skill needs, are being heralded as ''significant policy reforms'' by Immigration Department secretary Andrew Metcalfe.

Senator Evans will detail the changes in a speech to industry and union representatives, including the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, AiGroup, the Minerals Council of Australia and the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.

The government is also expected to reconsider January 1 changes to the temporary ''457'' category of visa, which businesses have criticised for impeding the ability of Australian employers to recruit desperately needed workers from overseas.

In private discussions, immigration officials have said the government would support changes that place a greater focus on employer-sponsored visas, and give state governments power to import workers under state sponsorship visas.

Though points migrants earn for working jobs on the demand list are small, they can tip the balance between being eligible to live in Australia and not being admitted. An industry source said skilled migrants under 30 most frequently used the points system.

The changes are expected to break the link between permanent residency and trade occupations, such as hairdressing and cookery, currently on the demand list and attractive to overseas students wishing to stay on in Australia.

''It's a very sensitive area,'' the industry source said. ''The problem is, we can't compel students to work in the job for which they train.''

The implications for Australia's $17 billion education sector are significant.

The changes could dash the permanent residency hopes of foreign students enrolled in a sector already battling college foreclosures and bad publicity for attacks on Indian students.

''In the short term, registered training organisations could face closure and bigger providers like TAFE could take a big financial hit,'' the source said.

The Skilled Migration Consultative Panel was due to complete its review of the migration occupations in demand list in late 2009. It last met on January 21 to discuss imminent changes.

At the meeting, immigration officials told interest groups the current points test for migrants would be revised as it was inefficient in responding to employers' immediate skills needs.

The changes are expected to take effect from midnight the day of the announcement, with industry warned of a surge in applications from people wishing to take advantage of the current system before it changes.

The chief executive of the Australian Council of Private Education and Training, Andrew Smith, said he hoped the review factored in the value of the education sector to the economy and looked after students.

''We'd be concerned to ensure that changes have appropriate transition arrangements so students have certainty and disruptions to this vital sector are minimised,'' Mr Smith said.

SOURCE

Regards

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Migration Help
oops. "They did it again"

Thanks a lot MH!

Oops indeed! They have certainly done 'it' again. Let's hope this it is not as bad as the last 'its' they have done - all eyes on Monday's announcement !!

I must admit that in all my years in Australian migration (both as an assesing officer in DIAC as well as a migration agent) I have never experienced quite the rollercoaster ride DIAC has treated us to over the last 15 months. My fear as we enter a new Federal election year is for the peaks and troughs to get worse! Fasten your seatbelts one and all - the ride is going to get rougher.

Guest Angie and Tony
hi thanks for that,

could you tel me does this just affect new applications or everyone who is awaiting a decision on their visa.

I am a hairdresser.

thanks

April:huh:

I'm a hairdresser too, and have WA SS...hoping against hope that it wont affect us already applied.:unsure:

Thanks for this thread, great info. Sort of dreading Monday now though lol, fingers crossed though..

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sheelagh

Many thanks for this new information.

I've made your post sticky and we will see what happens on Monday, I guess....:shocked:

Cheers

Gill

Guest rooperman

Well it's going to make for an interesting weekend waiting for the news! Hope the new changes bring a bit of common sense back into the system. Hope there is also some good news for those who have been waiting years already for their visas. Fingers crossed!

''The changes are expected to take effect from midnight the day of the announcement, with industry warned of a surge in applications from people wishing to take advantage of the current system before it changes.''

Thankyou for posting this information.

The above part of the statement is very interesting....:wideeyed:

Do you think it will mean those that have already lodged visas, will be safe from any changes.....:unsure:....I truly hope so

Guest VickyMel
Thanks for this thread, great info. Sort of dreading Monday now though lol, fingers crossed though..

I think I am going to use this as a good excuse to buy some comfort food and alcohol to

a) keep me occupied and my mind off it over the weekend :biggrin:

b) just in case needed Monday - then I don't have to go shopping with blubby eyes if it is bad news

Trying to stay hopeful until we know more...

Guest Migration Help

Thanks Gill for making the post sticky.

What a wait we all have this weekend.

I would love to say that based on precedent the changes should not affect anyone who has already lodged an application. However, this current government and Immigration Minister seem to be a law unto themselves so who knows what they have up their sleeves. It really is a case of wait and see.

As to those who rush to make an application before the Monday deadline, I am ashamed to admit I honestly could not advise you what or what not to do. All I can say is good luck no matter what you decide.

Kind regards

Sheelagh

Guest VickyMel
''The changes are expected to take effect from midnight the day of the announcement, with industry warned of a surge in applications from people wishing to take advantage of the current system before it changes.''

Thankyou for posting this information.

The above part of the statement is very interesting....:wideeyed:

Do you think it will mean those that have already lodged visas, will be safe from any changes.....:unsure:....I truly hope so

Gosh I hope we are "safe" from the changes - although whether it pushes us a bit further down the pecking order who knows..?

The sentence doesn't really make sense to me...

It is a newspaper report and I didn't find much else out there on the news so I suppose we should also be a bit wary of its accuracy if the reporter is not an expert in immigration they may word things a bit odd maybe? I just know newspaper reports sometimes get the details a bit wrong.

It saying "industry" warned it suggests it may affect the employment visas?

Which sounds odd as we know they are encouraging those so would expect the changes to be better for this group?

And if the changes are as on midnight - not many industries would be able to interview people who applied and get the application in in time for midnight??

I agree with VickyMel, report is a bit all over the place, and the main thrust seems to be revision of MODL and student sponsored pathway.

Revision of MODL was long overdue, so that is no surprise.

I think some of the more substantial changes will be around student visa route, as Minister has been talking up this issue for a number of months, around the abuse of the system and unintended consequences of giving inexperienced students more points than overseas academics. Unfortunately some occupation might suffer as a consequence of revised MODL due to student route abuse.

I would also hope to see some prioritization of SS 176 visas, but I’m not sure how DIAC and states propose to reconcile existing CSL list with state specific shortages.

One thing is probably certain, if you occupation is on current CSL, minister’s personal pet project, than you will probably still be on any new MODL/CSL/FSL list.

Guest Off to the Sun

this is from the immi website:

How often do the pass and pool marks change?

Changes to the pass and pool marks occur to address Australian labour market needs.

You should check the current pass mark immediately before making an application. You will be assessed against the pass and pool mark that is in effect at the time a decision is made on your application.

I thought that the points were set once you applied, maybe not......

God my stomach turned....is this going to be good news or bad??????? really cant cope with anymore bad news now....

Arhhhhhh, dont know if i want to look on monday

Same felling. I can not bare any new bad. They are bound to give us, whatever they have promised to us during we have applied. Because we have applied on base of they promised on that time.

New rules Always applied on new one not on old one.

If they will do any unreasonable with old applicants. I want to think, I will put whole my life to learn a lesson to Australian Government. till my death.

We are human. Not toys. They can not play with our life.

They have to think before accepting applications from applicants. They have to control what ever they want to control during accepting applications. But they do not. They are not accept applications but they are collecting $$$$ dollars to keep them live and Rich by using innocent applicants' hard earned money.

On which face the talk and advertise about Humanitarian Program On which they have Proud. I want to ask them One question " Are applicants Human ?"

Hi all,

I have read the article and am slightly ashamed to say that cannot fathom if changes will affect me and people in the same boat as me. I lodged my visa application on 01/01/09, its a 175 skilled visa and am currently in the line until 2012, can anyone give any advice on this, i realise that noboby really knows but your thoughts would be much appreciated.

New rules Always applied on new one not on old one.

If they will do any unreasonable with old applicants. I want to think, I will put whole my life to learn a lesson to Australian Government. till my death.

We are human. Not toys. They can not play with our life.

They have to think before accepting applications from applicants. They have to control what ever they want to control during accepting applications. But they do not. They are not accept applications but they are collecting $$$$ dollars to keep them live and Rich by using innocent applicants' hard earned money.

On which face the talk and advertise about Humanitarian Program On which they have Proud. I want to ask them One question " Are applicants Human ?"

Big round of applause for you :hug:... I totally agree with you Pogo. It'll be injustice for the old applicants. We have even paid a processing fee which is not of a very negligible amount and we put such an amount on the bet after a pre-calculation according to the rules that they said us to be followed. If we think of it collectively for all the applicants, it would be a huge amount that DIAC is earning each year from the applicants. They just cant deceive all these applicants in this way. It would be sheerly un-ethical if they think of somthing like axing the old applicant's hope in this way :frown:

Well my stomach just turned reading the original post - and so now all of us will try to occupy our minds over the weekend to try and not think about what could be coming our way!!!! Retrospective????? Not retrospective - then what happens to us existing applicants???? Then the infamous MODL - will we be on it.....will we be off it.....what will happen either way!! I think shopping, chocolate and a glass of wine may be had this weekend!!! Positive thoughts EVERYONE please!!!

Guest rachbarlow

I know this may sound a bit silly....... but just to understand all the above in simple terms, does this then mean they are looking at reducing the student visas who apply for skilled visas as they have studied in OZ, and are going to try to push the skilled people through instead???? Or is that my wishful reading????

We are currently on the MODL list, but at the moment this list seems to have little relevance in the processing of applications, way down the pecking order, the CSL are priority. I wonder if they are now going to force the MODL list like the CSL? I hope so, but I hope we stay on it. I cannot take anymore of these rollorcoaster changes!!!

What does this mean for applications submitted and acknowledged? I suppose only Monday will have the answers as we can speculate all we like.

Eyes out for Monday.............................................. or maybe i'll look on here at peeps responces ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR NOT AGAIN!!!

I know this may sound a bit silly....... but just to understand all the above in simple terms, does this then mean they are looking at reducing the student visas who apply for skilled visas as they have studied in OZ, and are going to try to push the skilled people through instead???? Or is that my wishful reading????

It seems to me like they are really trying to break the link between student visas and the expectation of a pathway to PR once you complete your studies. I Think this will be a disaster, economically, for the university and trade colleges. However, it is the student visa system that I belive has landed them in their current mess with a backlog of applicants for PR.

... the government would support changes that place a greater focus on employer-sponsored visas, and give state governments power to import workers under state sponsorship visas.

Do you think this means that the states will be able to push through their SS applicants quicker? Could this be good news for us non-CSL SS people?

Archived