and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest iatmum

Early Childhood Learning

Guest iatmum

Hi,

I shall be moving to Sydney with my 1.5 year old daughter. I intend to stay at burwood region or North Sydney region. Can you help me in knowing various education/learning related options and good pre-school / child care in these region.

Thank you in Advance.

Sam.

Kids dont start preschool until they are either just turned or just about to turn 4 so you have a while to go yet. There are very few government preschools in NSW they are mostly user pays. There are a load of childcare centres out there which are all user pays - I dont know that I would be looking at any of them as educational establishments, they are essentially childcare and will cost you around the $60 a day mark.

Guest iatmum

Hi Quoll,

Thanks for the reply. Between North Sydney region & Burwood which area has better schooling options. As after settling in Sydney we would not think of relocating for schooling needs.

Secondly one of the blogs post mentioned about 3 types of schooling options - Public, Private & Selective. But not able to understand their difference in practical sense. It also mentioned that in order get adminission in Selective schools parents has to start planning when the child turns 2 years. Also what would be fees structure between these schools and does the government provides any assistance towards schooling expenditure.

Thanks in Advance.

Sam.

Hi Quoll,

Thanks for the reply. Between North Sydney region & Burwood which area has better schooling options. As after settling in Sydney we would not think of relocating for schooling needs.

Secondly one of the blogs post mentioned about 3 types of schooling options - Public, Private & Selective. But not able to understand their difference in practical sense. It also mentioned that in order get adminission in Selective schools parents has to start planning when the child turns 2 years. Also what would be fees structure between these schools and does the government provides any assistance towards schooling expenditure.

Thanks in Advance.

Sam.

AFAIK the selective schools are High Schools so not sure what you would be planning for at 2. NSW has OC classes which are for kids who are particularly bright (not crammed) and I think they start at year 5.

Have you seen the new site which gives a basic comparison of schools based on NAPLAN results? Find a school | ACARA that might be a good place to start. Usual rule of thumb is that if you wouldnt like to live in a particular area you wouldnt want to send your child to a school in that area.

Private schools you pay for (anything from $3k - 20k pa), public schools you dont pay for and selective schools you have to do well in testing (intelligence, skills, aptitude)

Guest iatmum

Hi,

Thanx for the info and the website. It's beneficial.

Cheers!!!