Truck driver - experienced need only apply??

rikyuu

hi

I'm off to Oz with my family in August (have visa already) and I was considering a career change. I have been having truck driving lessons in the UK and plan to have some lessons in Oz and then get my HR licence. This is probably going to be in Perth.

I've read lots about truck drivers being in demand, however when I look through all the job adverts, pretty much every one asks for experience. Now I'm thinking that I might struggle to get a driving job being a Pom with no experience.

Has anyone had any experience of getting a driving job? Do you think I will struggle with no experience? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Lee

hi

I'm off to Oz with my family in August (have visa already) and I was considering a career change. I have been having truck driving lessons in the UK and plan to have some lessons in Oz and then get my HR licence. This is probably going to be in Perth.

I've read lots about truck drivers being in demand, however when I look through all the job adverts, pretty much every one asks for experience. Now I'm thinking that I might struggle to get a driving job being a Pom with no experience.

Has anyone had any experience of getting a driving job? Do you think I will struggle with no experience? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Lee

Alrite lee

Later on "tracy123" will be on,he's a good lad to ask,geoff was a lorry driver over in oz so he will advise,im "guessing" its the same as here in that you might end up having to work for agencies first to gain the experience?

Tbh its something im looking at for a career change as well.

Guest wayniexagt

ok while on hoilday in 08 i flew to perth and took my HR test . if your used to driving class 2 trucks in the uk then its a doddle . i can put you in touch with who sorted me out for lessons ( i only had 1) etc

you need to past the theory test of which i have the Q and A sheet for . send me your email address and ill forward you a copy

have you driven trucks before because i think if you havent then you will have to start from the bottom and make your way up to HR.. (th same as the uk )

as regards getting a job ........ they are out there if you have experience ( and the only way you get it is to do it . ............. i just went round the local industrial area in bunbury and got offered a job i didnt even go for after 2 weeks ........ and the moneys decent

but you mite also need your FLT licence aswell (it helps to be multi skilled) and have your blue card (safe at work permit)...

anything else let me know if i can help .

Hi Lee and welcome to PIO

I have never worked in WA so I'm unsure of how you get a WA licence but I'm lead to believe it's the easiest of all the states.

As for work you will find it hard on 3 fronts (now this will make it hard but not impossible)

1st off, You will not know your way around, and it's no good using a sat nav because they send you up streets that you are not allowed up and also under low bridges....

2nd No experience, Alot of companies will not employ you as it effects their insurance, so you will need to look at huge companies like Lynfox or Tolls that buy their insurance in bulk rather than per claim or work for a company that have old trucks, treat you like sh1t etc.

3rd Using a road ranger gear box! Alot of the trucks that are driven in Australia have American gear boxes , very few have syncromesh gear boxes. These are great to use but very unforgiving (so try not to change gears in the yard!!!!)

Ok the way to fix this is easy.

Lie about your experience, tell them you drove in the UK give them your brothers, friends, who evers phone number, 9 times out of 10 they wont call, but to help you out change 1 didget that way they will call you to confirm the number and it will give you a chance to call whoever so they are ready to answer as Joe Bloggs transport, and give you a reference. Tell the truth that you have had to re sit the test in Australia so your experience in Australia is zip.

If you can, start as a white van man, the work is none stop but it allows you to familiarize yourself with the areas that you will be going, it's also a lot easier to turn around if you get lost, trying to figure out where you are, learning to use a gearbox and learning to drive is a stressful thing

An agency is the best way to get work, you will start out doing all the work no one else likes, but it will only take a short while of you saying yes before they move you up, also with an agency it opens up doors that may of well been closed to you.

Ask plenty of questions, make sure you ask drivers for maps of the places you are going (a drawn map is far easier to follow) No one will think you as stupid also wear a uniform, don't turn up in jeans and a t-shirt. This may all seem simple advice but trust me you will get judged more on the way you dress, than the way you drive (well unless you smash the truck) most companies factor in that agency staff take longer to get anywhere.

There is plenty of work in Australia for a truck driver, and once you start you will never be out of a job.

Cheers

Geoffrey

many thanks for all your replies. It looks like a difficult thing to get into without doing a load of carp jobs initially. I think I'll still get my license so it's there for the future, but stick to what I'm experienced at for now.

• 3 years later...
Guest Kristenstewart

Why you wanted only experienced driver? You can take help from even fresher.. Consider freshers who are been trained in national reputation driving schools which can help you.. For freshers you can pay less than experienced guys..

Archived