ENS121 - Timeline

Guest ScottishSteve

Guest ScottishSteve

Does anyone know how long it's taking just now to go through ENS121 (CAT 2 I think)

I may have an employer ready to sponsor but wants to bring me on a 457. If I can get a ENS in roughly the same time I would like to go that way. I would be changing my GSM176 that is already lodged:idea:

Guest VickyMel

Just bumping Steve's query up as I am interested as well.

Congrats Steve on the potential job.

I have an interview in another state to the one where my OH has been approved for SS.

However, I am a little concerned about what to do if offered a position on a 457.

After all the changes since 23rd Sept (and who knows what the future brings) I don't think I would be prepared to ditch OHs potential PR SS visa for a temp 457 visa in another state where we are not eligible to apply for 176SS.

I imagine if I am offered a position the employer would be keen for me to start relatively quickly - so the time difference involved between a 457 and 121 would be of interest to me too.

Guest ScottishSteve
Just bumping Steve's query up as I am interested as well.

Congrats Steve on the potential job.

I have an interview in another state to the one where my OH has been approved for SS.

However, I am a little concerned about what to do if offered a position on a 457.

After all the changes since 23rd Sept (and who knows what the future brings) I don't think I would be prepared to ditch OHs potential PR SS visa for a temp 457 visa in another state where we are not eligible to apply for 176SS.

Thanks

Tough one. In my case I'll continue with my GSM176 SS even though I'm over on a 457 but I'm in the same state. Anyone advise?:eek:

Guest KerryCraig

Bumping up!!!!!!!!!

Also would like to know timeline at present for 121 as we lodged on 16th December!!

would be intersted to know if anyone else has and how long it took>......

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to get my 176 issued in Jan 10 (Cat 5) I did also lodge a ENS nomination as a fall back in WA. I understand Nomination approval time varies from State to State WA told me around 8 - 12 weeks in November 09. If you are looking for ENS in WA, email Daniel Bell he is Industry Outreach Officer, Western Australian State Office, Department of Immigration and Citizenship. He is very helpful please pm me for his email. I also understand if your file is decision ready (all docs met, meds finialised) the visa swap is fairly quick. WA were quoting 6 months in total but I understand the whole process was on average taking around 16 weeks (but every file is different)

On a side note Steve if you can do take the ENS as it gives you PR, and life in Oz on a TR visa is a bit harder, if you are a tradie licencing can also me more costly and harder to obtain as the Tafe fees are higher for TR visas.

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers Freaks

Guest ScottishSteve

Thanks Freaks:notworthy:

I know that the TR restricts you from claiming Medicare, Benifits, Drivers License etc,but would it stop you from getting credit for a loan or mortgage? I'm trying to build my case for a potential employer and I don’t want it to seem as if I’m using them just to gain a PR visa.

If you can point out any other disadvantages that I can use, that would be great:wubclub:

Hi Steve,

457 involves nomination fees and annual fees to DIAC the applicant generally elects to pay these for the life of the visa, ENS only only has the nomination fee around £250 then thats it as you will be swaping your visa over from 176 which is/was free. The ENS Nomination paperwork is around 7 pages not a great headache for the employer but it will be rejected if the employer does not full fill all the critera required. There are a number of condition on the employer and employee to get ENS 121 eg the job must be available for at least 3 year/Skills assessment etc. You also are required to hold all necessarry licencing on application so please check before applying. That said I understand should your employment end on ethier parties after say 2 years with good reason it should not effect your PR visa status. Also with a 457 the employer is reasponsible for your return flight costs back to the UK should your employment end early, not the case with ENS. You also then on 457 only have 28 days to find another employer or leave. Have a look on the DIAC website all info/forms can be found/downloaded there. Not sure about finance on TR sorry.

Cheers Freaks

Guest guest17520

I am waiting on an ENS 856, my employer put their part in last week, am waiting for the result of that before I send mine in.

Guest ScottishSteve

I've got one big concern. Since the changes yesterday I need to know if I change my 176 visa to an ENS and then for some reason it doesn't go through and I have to go back to GSM, would I be subjected to the new 8-Feb10 rules. I think I prob would but can anyone confirm?

Guest VickyMel

Hi Steve

Came across this today a post in BE about ENS 121 timelines.

British Expats - View Single Post - ENS Visa (121/856) Current Timescales

Someone got an answer to a PLE "At the present time there has been no progress on your application, standard processing times for ENS applications is 5-7 months."

Plus comments that people who applied around Nov are starting to hear now.

VickyMel

Guest ScottishSteve

Thanks for that. Think it'll be 457 and apply for ENS over there. Then again, with all the changes my GSM176 may come through quicker!:eek:

I've got an issue with changing to ENS though. Becasue my 176 application was placed before 8-feb10 (Oct09), I still qualify. But if I change to ENS and for some reason there was a problem and had to go back to GSM, I would have to qualify under the new rules (I would expect). It's all very confusing :goofy:

Guest June Pixie

Steve, I hear what you are saying and would like to know the same thing. My OH was offered a sponsorship this morning via a telephone interview (at 3am!!!) at present we don't know what the employer has in mind re visa choice - 457 or 121 - I'm pushing for the 121. The job is in Brisbane and we are presently sponsered by SA on a 176. Do we leave our 176 running with SA and accept a temp 457 visa and then convert to 176 when we are over there? But being in Queensland could be an issue? or push harder for the 121 ENS which would be beneficial for us and the employer (I would reckon). I'm very confused as it's the first job we applied for in Australia (after narrowing down loads of other options) Sponsership route was never in our heads so it'll take me a while to get my head around it after thinking we have a 2-3 year delay.

Guest ScottishSteve
My OH was offered a sponsorship this morning via a telephone interview (at 3am!!!)

I've got my interview tonight at 9pm:shocked:

I've already had a first interview with them so I'm still in the running. Feeling really nervous though.:chatterbox:

Calm blue ocean.....Calm blue ocean.....Calm blue ocean.....Calm blue ocean.....

I'm think if offered the job it may be better to accept the 457 and wait for the GSM as at the moment things aren't getting any worse. I wouldn't want something to happen during ENS so may have to wait it out. Tough one!!

Guest June Pixie

Good luck Steve!! Stay calm. We didn't have a pre-arranged 'interview' but the guy rang us at 3am to let us know that he would sponser us after a short exchange of emails. My OH has never spoke to a prospective employer half asleep and in bed!!! So funny!

Have you already lodged a 176 visa like us? Yes you have - just re-read your post.

Guest ScottishSteve
Good luck Steve!! Stay calm. We didn't have a pre-arranged 'interview' but the guy rang us at 3am to let us know that he would sponser us after a short exchange of emails. My OH has never spoke to a prospective employer half asleep and in bed!!! So funny!

Have you already lodged a 176 visa like us?

Wow...An offer without even seeing each other and just chatting on the phone! :swoon: OH must be good.

Yeah, 176 SS non-CSL lodged 2-Oct-09. As with the rest, no CO or any movement as yet but I'm in the queue!!

Guest June Pixie

I'm think if offered the job it may be better to accept the 457 and wait for the GSM as at the moment things aren't getting any worse. I wouldn't want something to happen during ENS so may have to wait it out. Tough one!!

Yes that's our thinking too - Although this prospective employer seems very keen for my OH to be there so I'm hoping he may cut to the chase and do the 121 route straight off, due to our SA commitment. If he is still under the 457 when our 176 comes though I'm wondering if we will have to up sticks and leave Queensland due to not being on their 'in demand' list. For all intents and purposes the 121 is going to be less hassle all round. Does this make sense? I'm hoping I'm reading things right - Does an occupation need to be 'on a state list' to be ENS??

Guest ScottishSteve
Yes that's our thinking too - Although this prospective employer seems very keen for my OH to be there so I'm hoping he may cut to the chase and do the 121 route straight off, due to our SA commitment. If he is still under the 457 when our 176 comes though I'm wondering if we will have to up sticks and leave Queensland due to not being on their 'in demand' list. For all intents and purposes the 121 is going to be less hassle all round. Does this make sense?

Yeah. In your case I would say 121 is best. If you are on a 457 in Queensland and get a 176 in SA I think to avoid loosing the 176 you will have to leave and re-enter the country to validate within a year(or so). This would take away your ability to work in QL. Although, the 176 may take over a year to get so you potentially have 2 years to work in QL.

The only thing is, a 457 takes about 4-6 weeks. ENS can be up to 7 months!!

Sorry if this confuses things more:goofy:

Guest KerryCraig
Got the job!!!:jiggy:

Going to go with the 457 route and continue the 176. Don't want to 'rock the boat'

Congratulations Steve!!

Archived