timeline for de facto spouse visa (subclass 309)

Guest dazjoe

Hi, I'm looking for anyone who has recently been granted an offshore de facto spouse visa. We have applied for our's on Thursday and received an email confirmation of the application this morning. In the email it says it takes 3 to 4 months before a decision is made, I was wondering if that is the usual timeframe or if it could take shorter, and they say a longer time to cover their backs, so to speak?

We've provided a load of evidence of our relationship; receipts, photo's, writen testimonies, so hoping this will help speed things up. Just hoping someone here could let me know how long from applying to getting the decision it took them.

Many thanks to you.

• 3 months later...
Guest AussieMW

Hi there,

I've just started madly googling 'visa processing times' as we are waiting on a subclass 309 visa too. I thought this might be useful for you as our timelines are about the same, I think. My boyfriend (Who's English) applied on 28th Jan 2010, they have everything now (med check which was fine and police check also fine, these were both sent in about a month ago, I can't remember exactly but I suspect mid March). We are sadly still waiting and I'm in Australia working whilst he's in England. We've contacted the guy handling our visa (a few weeks ago) and all he said was that they had everything they need and were doing a few more final 'checks (?!)' but he couldn't see any reason why we wouldn't get it but we just need to wait. We included LOADS of evidence of our relationship as well but I don't think that speeds things up, it just ticks the first box that you're actually a legit couple.

Good luck - hopefully you've already got it so that means ours is coming in soon!!

Hi, I'm looking for anyone who has recently been granted an offshore de facto spouse visa. We have applied for our's on Thursday and received an email confirmation of the application this morning. In the email it says it takes 3 to 4 months before a decision is made, I was wondering if that is the usual timeframe or if it could take shorter, and they say a longer time to cover their backs, so to speak?

We've provided a load of evidence of our relationship; receipts, photo's, writen testimonies, so hoping this will help speed things up. Just hoping someone here could let me know how long from applying to getting the decision it took them.

Many thanks to you.

we applied 26th march, was told end of june/start of july. I dont think it would speed up things with your evidence ou have suggested as everyone sends that kind of stuff in. You just have to be patient

Guest fredandginger

I'm in same situation.. Hubby applied in UK in February 2010 and we still waiting. Hopefully not too much longer :)

Guest dazjoe

I got it in March!

was too excited I clean forgot to mention it on here.

Had to phone them to see if I could hurry it along, as my partners UK visa was close to expiring, luckly they said yes, emailed me the next day to tell me the visa was mine!

Living and working in Melb now, such a weight off my shoulders, best of luck to everyone else who's applying, fingers crossed for you

Guest Frannie

We applied in London. They received our front loaded application on the 2nd March. We received email confirmation on 26th April that we had been granted the visa! I was in Australia at the time so had to go to New Zealand for my application to be finalised.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul in UK
We applied in London. They received our front loaded application on the 2nd March. We received email confirmation on 26th April that we had been granted the visa! I was in Australia at the time so had to go to New Zealand for my application to be finalised.

Hi Frannie,

Hope life in Sydney is all well. I applied in London (19 April) for a Spouse visa (309/100), front loaded everything but haven't heard anything. I'm hoping that no news is good news!

Anyway, wife and kids have oz passports and we intend to go August/Sept and i will go with them. If i don't get the visa by then but i am in Oz when it does (fingers crossed) do you need to go outside of Oz (anywhere) to get it finalised?

Guest Frannie

Hi Paul, yes you have to be outside of Australia to get the visa finalised. You can go anywhere where there is an Australian embassy as you have to get your passport evidenced with the visa label. Many people go to New Zealand as it is the closest place and is pretty cheap to fly to, especially if you go with a budget airline. You can go elsewhere though, I know someone who went to Thailand and made a holiday of it. Just check there is an embassy. Also, just make sure that your CO knows your plans ahead of time. Good luck with your application, no news is definitely good news! We didn't get any requests for further information or an interview so I was a little concerned but all turned out well in the end! I'm sure you'll hear well before August/September. Whre abouts in Oz are you heading? Good luck!

Guest Paul in UK
Hi Paul, yes you have to be outside of Australia to get the visa finalised. You can go anywhere where there is an Australian embassy as you have to get your passport evidenced with the visa label. Many people go to New Zealand as it is the closest place and is pretty cheap to fly to, especially if you go with a budget airline. You can go elsewhere though, I know someone who went to Thailand and made a holiday of it. Just check there is an embassy. Also, just make sure that your CO knows your plans ahead of time. Good luck with your application, no news is definitely good news! We didn't get any requests for further information or an interview so I was a little concerned but all turned out well in the end! I'm sure you'll hear well before August/September. Whre abouts in Oz are you heading? Good luck!

Cheers, i feel a little better but i'm planning to ring them on Monday just to ask. We are heading to the Central Coast, my wife's parents/sisters live around Tuggerrah/Wyong. We will crash there, get the kids into school, hopefully to start in October and then look for a rental initially for 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fredandginger

Applied beginning of February, and got visa last week!!! Finally the waiting is over.... Thanks for your posts and info has kept me going.

• 2 months later...

Archived