shipping insurance quotes ?!

Dawn75

Hi- we have booked Pickfords to move us in May to Perth and their marine insurance comes in at 2.5% same as most I believe. Also they have told me once you calc the 2.5% you have to add 5% import tax on top ! Plus AQIS inspections fees !! :shocked:

After having small heart attack at our mounting costs does anyone know of any decent cheaper marine insurers please ?? or I will have to look again at what we are taking !!

Thanks.

Yes, the AQIS fee is extra AUD 750 if I remember correctly and there's now also a "container cleaning fee" where they hose it down before it gets onto the quay-side which is about another £20.

We booked Crown and they include this in their quote which takes the exchange risk out of the equation but Pickfords told us we would have to pay locally.

The only other thing that should be on the insurance is insurance premium tax (check you haven't picked them up wrong) like you would pay on your car or house insurance. It should only be 0.5% (sorry 5% of the premium per Daniel, below)

Guest guest33730
Hi- we have booked Pickfords to move us in May to Perth and their marine insurance comes in at 2.5% same as most I believe. Also they have told me once you calc the 2.5% you have to add 5% import tax on top ! Plus AQIS inspections fees !! :shocked:

After having small heart attack at our mounting costs does anyone know of any decent cheaper marine insurers please ?? or I will have to look again at what we are taking !!

Thanks.

I've been looking at insure your move.com which looks like half the price of Pickfords with almost the same cover. The insurance tax is 5% of the premium not 5% of the sum insured. You shouldn't have to pay import tax if it's all personal possessions over a year old.

Daniel

Guest guest33730
Try getting a quote from Letton percival for the insurance same cover for less than 2% usually. You do not have to use the insurance from the removals company. Do as always check the small print though!

Looked at Letton Percival but they are the same price as insure your move and didn't offer Mechanical Derangement and I think Mould cover was extra too

Daniel

Thank you , I made bit of a mistake- its not import tax its insurance premium tax !:rolleyes:

yes, the import tax is when the stuff is new. My brain is scrambled lately. But I will have a look at yourmove.com and see how it compares. Thanks everyone. :smile:

• 1 month later...

Archived