Guest guest36187

On 04/11/2021 at 10:54, Lady Jane said:

The worst part of the whole process is that parents applying go by the application processing time on the website. As you say your parents made the decision to delay applying, which we did too. It’s so difficult as your life revolves around when you might get the visa. 
if the immi website was clear in the processing times parents could then make an informed decision when to apply.  I know how you feel, we felt like it would never happen( especially with Covid)  but eventually it did.  
Keep your chin up and good luck. 

Thanks so much for your kind words Jane. Really appreciate. 🙂

I have a theory about the slow processing. I might be wrong though, but what if the department is only processing 300 applicants per month(3600/12), because if they process faster they will exhaust the cap earlier than July 1st 2022, so they wanna go at an even speed till then, what do we think?

27 minutes ago, Bre said:

I have a theory about the slow processing. I might be wrong though, but what if the department is only processing 300 applicants per month(3600/12), because if they process faster they will exhaust the cap earlier than July 1st 2022, so they wanna go at an even speed till then, what do we think?

Would be nice to think so but I know from 4.5 years waiting in the queue  that in previous years  they just carry on until the quota has been reached - sometimes they’ve stopped processing around May - but they don’t tell us! I’ve even a post on social media from a agent who says he’s had FOI  saying June 2016 should be processed by end of the year then July 2016 end next year. Unsure whether it actually means  end of current years or end of financial year - if it’s  actual years  it means June 2016 could  be processed by End June 2022 and July 2016 started from July 2022 - but as always immi don’t  make things clear ! 

They’ve also still been processing visas but only for those onshore to keep them legal 

Edited by LindaH27

I’ve got this standard response from Home Affairs, without answering my question about their estimated timeframe being misleading. I would be interested in participating their annual consultation process to inform the composition of the program, although I wasn’t aware of one last year.

”Thank you for your correspondence to the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, the Hon Alex Hawke MP, concerning processing of the Contributory Parent visa. The Minister appreciates the time you have taken to bring this matter to his attention and has asked that I reply on his behalf.
I appreciate your concerns regarding the processing times for Contributory Parent visa.
Family migration is an important element of Australia’s migration system, allowing Australian citizens and permanent residents to reunite with their family members and contributing
to stronger social cohesion outcomes. As you are aware, it remains the case that there is
a priority processing order for Family visa applications. Within this, Contributory Parent visa applications are assessed in date of lodgement order and finalised in queue date order within their respective categories. There is no provision to prioritise one Contributory Parent visa application over another Contributory Parent visa application as it may disadvantage other applicants who may be in similar or more compelling circumstances.
Each year a consultation process is undertaken by the Department of Home Affairs to hear the community’s views and inform the Australian Government on both the size and composition of the annual migration program. Following public consultations, the permanent Migration Program is set with Australia’s immediate and longer-term economic and social needs in mind. Australia’s permanent Migration Program has had a distribution of two–thirds Skill and one– third Family visas since 2005-06. In 2020-21 and 2021-22, in response to the impacts of COVID-19, the proportion of the Family stream increased to approximately half of the total migration program.
The priority in the Family stream category is given to immediate family members who are partner and dependent child applicants. This aligns with the current Government’s policy intentions, the need to give priority to certain applications, and to the size and composition of the migration program.
Visa places are also available, but to a lesser extent, to parents and other family members. However, increasing the number of places for Contributory Parent visas may have significant cost implications and would need to be considered by the Government in the context of budget decisions and the current economic climate.
The Government appreciates that the limited number of places for these visas each year may be disappointing for some members of the community. Ultimately, the Migration program must strike the right balance between sustainable family reunion and maximising Australia’s longer term economic growth and prosperity.
Applicants may wish to consider applying for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa, which provides an alternative pathway for parents to live in Australia on a temporary basis, for up to three or five years. Processing of these applications slowed during COVID-19, due to temporary visa holders being subject to travel exemptions. However, since
1 November 2021 parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents have been considered to be members of immediate family, and are eligible to apply for a travel exemption to reunite with family members in Australia.
Thank you for raising this matter with the Minister.”

4 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

"Thank you for your detailed letter, which unfortunately doesn't address the question in my letter.

I am enclosing a copy for ease of reference.

I look forward to hearing from you in response to my question."

Good luck!

They sent me the email from a ‘noreply’ inbox. 🙂 I’ll see what I’ll get from my local MP (Labour) and another Senator (Green). Not too much hope from Labour though, major parties are more similar than different these days. 

39 minutes ago, April said:

They sent me the email from a ‘noreply’ inbox. 🙂 I’ll see what I’ll get from my local MP (Labour) and another Senator (Green). Not too much hope from Labour though, major parties are more similar than different these days. 

Don’t forget Karen Andrews - Minister for Home affairs!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

One of the conditions to apply for 804 is

• not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa

What I would like to clarify is if someone has recently started the process of 870 and only applied for the sponsorship part will that be considered as "already applied for" as per the above clause OR is it when the applicant has applied for the 870 is when they consider it to be applied.

12 minutes ago, Anks said:

Hi All,

One of the conditions to apply for 804 is

• not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa

What I would like to clarify is if someone has recently started the process of 870 and only applied for the sponsorship part will that be considered as "already applied for" as per the above clause OR is it when the applicant has applied for the 870 is when they consider it to be applied.

Coincidentally I'm about to write a Go Matilda Parent Visas blog on this subject.

An application for approval as a family sponsor isn't a visa application, so all should be well in the situation you have described.

Best regards.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Coincidentally I'm about to write a Go Matilda Parent Visas blog on this subject.

An application for approval as a family sponsor isn't a visa application, so all should be well in the situation you have described.

Best regards.

Great, that's what I was thinking as well as the applicant application should be the one that would make it an application. Thanks for clarifying @Alan Collett, as always your swift replies are much appreciated. Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had apply for 143 visa for my parents and my sister as a dependent child. Would that be possible if my sister apply student visa and me as her sponsor instead of my parents? 

Please share if anyone has the same experience.

Thank youu 🙂

31 minutes ago, Lya said:

Hi,

I had apply for 143 visa for my parents and my sister as a dependent child. Would that be possible if my sister apply student visa and me as her sponsor instead of my parents? 

Please share if anyone has the same experience.

Thank youu 🙂

In my opinion, if your sister applies for a student visa and you become a sponsor the only quotation may arise if your sister is still dependent on your parents!

At the time of 143 visa application processing case officer will ask you to provide dependency evidence. If your sister financially relies on you and she does part-time work it may be a little harder to convenience the case officer that she is still eligible as a dependant.  I guess the best solution is to ask your parents to become sponsors and pay all the tuition fees and living costs for the duration of the study. Remember to keep those evidence as you can provide them as evidence to prove dependency. Also making sure she did not earn a full-time income at any period of time. otherwise, things may be a bit complicated in future! I always prefer to keep things simple and explainable. 

Merry Christmas gang! I hope it was a wonderful day with your loved ones, filled with food comas and crushing hangovers.

Question around the 'settled' citizen requirement please... 

I lodged my parents' contributory PR application back in Sept 2017 which means they are unlikely to be granted the visa for at another 3-4 years at least...

My partner and I have lived in Sydney since 2015 but are thinking about moving back to Melbourne. Will this mean I'm no longer a 'settled' Australian citizen until I've lived in Melbourne for a further 2 years? I've been living in Australia since 2002 - Melbourne originally, but have moved to Brisbane and then Sydney for employment opportunities.

I understand 'settled' to mean I as the sponsor need to be living in the same place for 2 years but am unclear on how they define the location - must the 2 years be spent in the same postcode / city / state / country etc...?

Of course we could always wait till my parents have been granted their PR but it seems a little silly to have to put any plans on hold (particularly with rapidly rising house prices) when there's so much ambiguity around processing times.

Edited by Qflyer

6 hours ago, Qflyer said:

Merry Christmas gang! I hope it was a wonderful day with your loved ones, filled with food comas and crushing hangovers.

I lodged my parents' contributory PR application back in Sept 2017 which means they are unlikely to be granted the visa for at another 3-4 years at least...

My partner and I have lived in Sydney since 2015 but are thinking about moving back to Melbourne. Will this mean I'm no longer a 'settled' Australian citizen until I've lived in Melbourne for a further 2 years? I've been living in Australia since 2002 - Melbourne originally, but have moved to Brisbane and then Sydney for employment opportunities.

I understand 'settled' to mean I as the sponsor need to be living in the same place for 2 years but am unclear on how they define the location - must the 2 years be spent in the same postcode / city / state / country etc...?

Of course we could always wait till my parents have been granted their PR but it seems a little silly to have to put any plans on hold (particularly with rapidly rising house prices) when there's so much ambiguity around processing times.

Hi Qflyer. I'm no expert, but according to a couple of websites I've looked at, it means legally resident in Australia. They don't say anything about being in one particular area. All the best

But what does “settled” mean?

Australia’s migration legislation provides that “in relation to an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, (settled) means lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period.”

Unfortunately, “a reasonable period” is not also defined within legislation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Qflyer said:

Our daughter moved states and houses numerous times while our application was in, it didn’t affect us getting the 143 visa. Think it means settled/staying in Australia. 

Edited by Lady Jane
  • Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 16:23, majharul said:

In my opinion, if your sister applies for a student visa and you become a sponsor the only quotation may arise if your sister is still dependent on your parents!

At the time of 143 visa application processing case officer will ask you to provide dependency evidence. If your sister financially relies on you and she does part-time work it may be a little harder to convenience the case officer that she is still eligible as a dependant.  I guess the best solution is to ask your parents to become sponsors and pay all the tuition fees and living costs for the duration of the study. Remember to keep those evidence as you can provide them as evidence to prove dependency. Also making sure she did not earn a full-time income at any period of time. otherwise, things may be a bit complicated in future! I always prefer to keep things simple and explainable. 

Thank youu 😊

Hi Guys,

I have applied 870 parents visa for sponsorship approval on 17th December. Guess its gonna take more than a year, after getting the sponsorship approvals to submitting sponsor application, (according to the website).

Can i apply for my parents Visitor visa in between and bring them over? and if the 870 approved what should i do?  and if the medical or Police clearance required, can i get it from here?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. parents got no one back in India and i really want them to bring over here.

Thank You in advance,

Naresh Saini

Hi All, 

I applied for my parents' 143 VISA in September 2018. I got a queue letter email from the department on Dec 2021.

When I originally applied, the wait time was approximately 4 years on their website.

What is the significance of the queue letter received with respect to wait times ? Any indications that could give us a clue about the wait times before we hear from the department for processing ? :'((((