Guest guest36187

49 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

No final decision yet on the cricket families. Its possible that Cricket Australia and the ECB could fund a quarantine hotel specifically for them,....

That's what is happening with other sporting groups as they move around the country - the players and their families have to stay in a bubble, in a hotel(s) booked specially for them and paid for by the sporting body.   

On 23/09/2021 at 16:27, Juniper said:

I read with mounting fury today that Boris Johnson has asked Scott Morrison for special dispensation to allow the Uk cricketers families to accompany them to Australia for the Christmas Test Matches!

I was incandescent!  There are thousands of us who would love special permission to spend Christmas with our families who live in Australia & whom we have been forcibly separated from since the outbreak of Covid 19, including new grandchildren whom we have never seen!

Boris Johnson will probably not even be aware of our heartbreaking situation but I am sure that Scott Morrison is only too aware!  Surely this cannot happen?

Same, November 2019 to see him born, not been able to get back since. Booked for April 22 but who knows?

33 minutes ago, Karl D said:

Same, November 2019 to see him born, not been able to get back since. Booked for April 22 but who knows?

April 22 might be ok. But when the borders open,  it looks like stranded Australians, skilled workers and students first. Tourists appear to come last. Perhaps they need all that time to work through all the outstanding various visitor  visa applications etc 

39CDEE14-0EEB-42AD-8D6E-BF98FE1FCA69.jpeg

On 23/09/2021 at 23:27, Juniper said:

I read with mounting fury today that Boris Johnson has asked Scott Morrison for special dispensation to allow the Uk cricketers families to accompany them to Australia for the Christmas Test Matches!

I was incandescent!  There are thousands of us who would love special permission to spend Christmas with our families who live in Australia & whom we have been forcibly separated from since the outbreak of Covid 19, including new grandchildren whom we have never seen!

Boris Johnson will probably not even be aware of our heartbreaking situation but I am sure that Scott Morrison is only too aware!  Surely this cannot happen?

You could look at this in a different way . The more special exemption persons/groups that are given visas/entry the sooner the borders will open to all . We were lucky to make the move to WA in October 2020 but since here I have not met anyone who wants to open the strict borders but have listened to numerous people going on about their rights to not be vaccinated or to choose which vaccine . You can see where certain people are coming from , life is good with no restrictions other than travel and WA is a massive place to explore.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

You could look at this in a different way . The more special exemption persons/groups that are given visas/entry the sooner the borders will open to all . We were lucky to make the move to WA in October 2020 but since here I have not met anyone who wants to open the strict borders but have listened to numerous people going on about their rights to not be vaccinated or to choose which vaccine . You can see where certain people are coming from , life is good with no restrictions other than travel and WA is a massive place to explore.

That attitude of “I’m ok in my bubble”  will see the restrictions/lockdowns continue forever. Until the vaccine is taken up in big numbers outbreaks will occur and the vulnerable will succumb. This virus will find a way into WA or any state /  country in the world. It’s just naive to think otherwise.

3 hours ago, Karl D said:

That attitude of “I’m ok in my bubble”  will see the restrictions/lockdowns continue forever.

I don''t think so.   After the 2020 debacle, Victoria had very effective controls in place for 2021, and had already managed to completely wipe out a couple of Delta outbreaks. But eventually more infected people got in over the border, infections got out of control, and the government has been forced to give up on the Zero Covid policy.  The same is bound to happen in other states at some point.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think the bubbles will last forever, but I don't blame anyone for wanting their bubble to last as long as possible, until the maximum number of people are vaccinated.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don''t think so.   After the 2020 debacle, Victoria had very effective controls in place for 2021, and had already managed to completely wipe out a couple of Delta outbreaks. But eventually more infected people got in over the border, infections got out of control, and the government has been forced to give up on the Zero Covid policy.  The same is bound to happen in other states at some point.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think the bubbles will last forever, but I don't blame anyone for wanting their bubble to last as long as possible, until the maximum number of people are vaccinated.

As you say Marisa, we know that so far we have been very lucky in Qld that we have had very little covid or lockdowns here, but we aren’t stupid or naive, but to be honest because of the closed borders we like Perth, we are living an almost normal life. People are very good on the whole, wear masks while out as well as in the shops etc. 

We also realise that it is unsustainable long term, and the slow vaccination rate is unacceptable. It does seem to have been ramped up at last, and all we can hope is that if or when we have an outbreak, enough people will have been vaccinated to lessen the the load on the health system.

Just literally just seen that there is a public alert for Brisbane for a new locally acquired covid case, an airport worker?  close to where my son lives. He and wife had their 2nd jabs on Sunday, might give some protection.

Hope this doesn’t spread.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ramot said:

As you say Marisa, we know that so far we have been very lucky in Qld that we have had very little covid or lockdowns here, but we aren’t stupid or naive, but to be honest because of the closed borders we like Perth, we are living an almost normal life. People are very good on the whole, wear masks while out as well as in the shops etc. 

We also realise that it is unsustainable long term, and the slow vaccination rate is unacceptable. It does seem to have been ramped up at last, and all we can hope is that if or when we have an outbreak, enough people will have been vaccinated to lessen the the load on the health system.

Just literally just seen that there is a public alert for Brisbane for a new locally acquired covid case, an airport worker?  close to where my son lives. He and wife had their 2nd jabs on Sunday, might give some protection.

Hope this doesn’t spread.

Unfortunately there have been more cases. I’ve also just seen a quote in The Guardian  newspaper which said 

“Behind closed borders, Queensland remains particularly vulnerable to a potential Delta-variant outbreak. The state’s vaccination rates are well behind the rest of the country and there have been ongoing concerns about  whether public hospitals are equipped for cases to spread.”

I guess the NRL game could potentially  be a super spreader event as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it doesn’t take hold! 

Edited by LindaH27

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Unfortunately there have been more cases. I’ve also just seen a quote in The Guardian  newspaper which said 

“Behind closed borders, Queensland remains particularly vulnerable to a potential Delta-variant outbreak. The state’s vaccination rates are well behind the rest of the country and there have been ongoing concerns about whether public hospitals are equipped for cases to spread.”

I guess the NRL game could potentially  be a super spreader event as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it doesn’t take hold! 

Thanks, we should be seeing our son this weekend and then flying to Hamilton Island for a break! We thought long and hard about going away, and thought if we booked late with no covid around we should be ok. Have to wait & see now. 

8 minutes ago, ramot said:

Thanks, we should be seeing our son this weekend and then flying to Hamilton Island for a break! We thought long and hard about going away, and thought if we booked late with no covid around we should be ok. Have to wait & see now. 

Yes Im sorry to hear that - that’s a dilemma- but I’m sure I’ve no need to tell you just how virulent the Delta strain is! I guess WA will be vulnerable as well although I’m not sure of their vaccination rates. 

8 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes Im sorry to hear that - that’s a dilemma- but I’m sure I’ve no need to tell you just how virulent the Delta strain is! I guess WA will be vulnerable as well although I’m not sure of their vaccination rates. 

The one good thing about the outbreaks in NSW, VIC and ACT are that they've frightened hesitant people into getting vaccinated.  NSW is way ahead right now, partly because they got extra Pfizer doses due to the severity of their outbreak, but partly because of that fear factor - NSW were getting high numbers of cases about six weeks before Victoria's surge, so people got of their bums earlier!

https://www.covid19data.com.au/vaccines

I was watching the AFL game in Perth and stunned at the crowds and the way everyone was behaving, hugging and shaking hands etc.  Perfectly safe, there is no Covid in WA, but I could hardly believe it was real.   But you can see why people think there's no rush to get vaccinated when life is so  normal.  

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 06:38, palaceboy1 said:

I'm in WA and know of only one person in my social circle who are against opening up. Even those with no family overseas are keen to travel again and seem to grasp that staying closed once vaccinated is not a solution. The biggest issue WA has is McG  - saying we will open when we reach a vaccination mark is providing no incentive to those on the fence. (All my opinion).

On 28/09/2021 at 15:23, Marisawright said:

The one good thing about the outbreaks in NSW, VIC and ACT are that they've frightened hesitant people into getting vaccinated.  NSW is way ahead right now, partly because they got extra Pfizer doses due to the severity of their outbreak, but partly because of that fear factor - NSW were getting high numbers of cases about six weeks before Victoria's surge, so people got of their bums earlier!

I was watching the AFL game in Perth and stunned at the crowds and the way everyone was behaving, hugging and shaking hands etc.  Perfectly safe, there is no Covid in WA, but I could hardly believe it was real.   But you can see why people think there's no rush to get vaccinated when life is so  normal.  

Exactly this. It's getting to the point where those who have been vaccinated are to be penalised to keep those who don't want it safe. Purely political move in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

Exactly this. It's getting to the point where those who have been vaccinated are to be penalised to keep those who don't want it safe. Purely political move in my opinion. 

So what’s the alternative , if I look at the Uk daily figures there are approximately 35000 daily cases 200 deaths daily and 7500 in hospital seems strange that they don’t report how many of the deaths have been fully vaccinated .I am not against travel or vaccination just posting what I hear from local Australians. This topic is on the wrong thread I think so won’t comment further

• Like 1

On 28/09/2021 at 15:10, LindaH27 said:

Must be getting up there. Every time I see one of the vaccination places they're busy. Our youngest, 25, got his 2nd pfizer today, our eldest couple of weeks ago, me and the wife both AZ's. Now we have moderna and walk ins at a lot of chemists. 

I think a lot of youngsters are going for it. School holidays, bored, lets go and get jabbed😁

On 28/09/2021 at 15:23, Marisawright said:

Barring about 6 weeks tops that's how it's been the whole time. Normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 14:48, Kathss56 said:

Everyone please sign , might have to be yr Oz family or PR etc who sign

Petition for annual caps on parent visas to be increased.

Hope ok to post have asked permission but not recvd a reply. Thanks

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN3366

Thank you for this Kath. My son has signed the petition. You have to be an Australian citizen to sign.  I am surprised more people have not responded to this.

Please please ask your Oz family to sign this. You may remember when Australian government was trying to increase the fees for 147. Many people wrote to their MPs and got the government to backtrack.

This petition if successful will help raise awareness in parliament and who knows may even result in increased numbers.

54 minutes ago, Manrug said:

Thank you for this Kath. My son has signed the petition. You have to be an Australian citizen to sign.  I am surprised more people have not responded to this.

Please please ask your Oz family to sign this. You may remember when Australian government was trying to increase the fees for 147. Many people wrote to their MPs and got the government to backtrack.

This petition if successful will help raise awareness in parliament and who knows may even result in increased numbers.

You may not be aware but there’s currently a senate enquiry going on into the problems with parent visas (as well as some partner visas) because people were contacting their MPs etc 

Up until April People were allowed to send submissions in including many organisations,  detailing the problems cause by the lengthy queue. It’s due to report in November. 

So something is currently happening with the government. 
Im not sure what visa the 147 is - do you mean Assurance of Support? 

Edited by LindaH27

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

You may not be aware but there’s currently a senate enquiry going on into the problems with parent visas (as well as some partner visas) because people were contacting their MPs etc 

Up until April People were allowed to send submissions in including many organisations,  detailing the problems cause by the lengthy queue. It’s due to report in November. 

So something is currently happening with the government. 
Im not sure what visa the 147 is - do you mean Assurance of Support? 

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Most of the senate enquiries are a complete waste of time in my opinion,

Unless the government in the House of Representatives wants to change a policy nothing will happen. But it does give the senators something to do I suppose.

1 hour ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi I wonder if anyone on here has transferred their UK pension to an Australian super?  I'd like some help with doing this but am worried I'll lose the small amount of money I have by choosing the 'wrong' advisor.

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

I looked into this a while back. I believe you have to have a minimum of £100,000 to transfer and there are all sorts of restrictions and rules. Also I think you may have to do this within 6 months of leaving the UK. Best to enquire with an Oz pensions advisor who has done this before.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi I wonder if anyone on here has transferred their UK pension to an Australian super? 

None of the established superannuation funds can accept a UK pension.   There is one fund that will take them, but it's a fairly new company with no track record, so personally I'd be a bit nervous of handing over my money.  Bear in mind, money in superannuation funds isn't covered by the bank guarantee system.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Biggsy said:

I looked into this a while back. I believe you have to have a minimum of £100,000 to transfer and there are all sorts of restrictions and rules. Also I think you may have to do this within 6 months of leaving the UK. Best to enquire with an Oz pensions advisor who has done this before.

There's no minimum per se - but the costs of the exercise can become disproportionate,.

Maybe enquire of @Andrew from Vista Financial ?

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1