Guest guest36187

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I find it astonishing that people who went through the UK's early Covid experience can now say, "Covid's not that bad, Australia, just open up and let it rip".  Have you forgotten what it was like then? 

I am as angry as anyone over Australia's botched vaccination rollout but that's the reality - we are largely unvaccinated and if we open up now, we'll have to go through what the UK and eveyrone else did last year. 

I  know you're all upset because there's 100,000 grandparents sitting overseas unable to see their families temporarily.    But what you're saying is that we should just open up and let 100,000 grandparents die here, which will deprive thousands of Australian families of their loved ones forever.  Not a fair trade, sorry.

People have very short memories.  The UK was in lockdown more or less for a year.  I have friends and family scattered over various parts of the UK.  Lockdown there seemed never ending and was very difficult.  The people who are the most upset on the forum are as you say, the ones who can't get their parents over here or they can't return to the UK.  Most of us will just have to ride it out until the vaccine rollout is heading in the right direction which I hope will be sooner rather than later.  Hugely frustrating but not much we can do about it until then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I find it astonishing that people who went through the UK's early Covid experience can now say, "Covid's not that bad, Australia, just open up and let it rip".  Have you forgotten what it was like then? 

I am as angry as anyone over Australia's botched vaccination rollout but that's the reality - we are largely unvaccinated and if we open up now, we'll have to go through what the UK and eveyrone else did last year. 

I  know you're all upset because there's 100,000 grandparents sitting overseas unable to see their families temporarily.    But what you're saying is that we should just open up and let 100,000 grandparents die here, which will deprive thousands of Australian families of their loved ones forever.  Not a fair trade, sorry.

Please  tell me exactly where I said to let Covid rip through Australia as it’s not that bad??? Did not say anything like that. I said quite categorically that Australia wasted its border closure because it didn’t use the time to vaccinate, didn't buy enough vaccine and rubbished the AZ leading to hesitancy to get vaccinated and I still stand by that. . Like Alan Collett and some other forum members I was querying  the numbers quoted as dying through Covid. UK and probably Australia too sadly lose many people to flu every year and have done for many many years - I was pointing out that it’s not reported  daily although we are all aware of it and queue up in our millions to get our flu jabs every year. I didn’t want those deaths reported as Covid deaths when they weren’t. You have misinterpreted what I said. 

. How can you say I don’t care when I know people who have died and people whose mental health has deteriorated during the lockdowns which were far harder than the current ones in Australia.  I was told to go into isolation two weeks before rest of UK did by my consultant who was aware of this “new disease”.   I live alone with no family nearby so that was extremely hard.  

Everything shut down apart from supermarkets , even certain aisles in the supermarket were roped off and covered over in plastic as they weren’t considered essential goods..I had to wait up till 3am to be able to get an online delivery slot for my food.  68 million people - an entire country - went through those lockdowns.  I mentioned that deaths are likely to rise in UK this winter because of the flu and the inability  to access medical attention because last year as rightly pointed out we were in lockdown for a very long time therefore there wasn’t a lot of flu around and experts are now telling us that flu and respiratory illnesses will rise this winter - what I was saying was they should not be counted as covid deaths. Public  Health England is looking into how it’s been misreported 

Because of what I’ve been through I’m extremely concerned now for my family over there because Delta has finally got into Australia - and no country where it’s got in has managed to stop it as it’s so virulent but I truly hope Australia doesn’t suffer like the rest of the world has,  although the cases and deaths are now sadly rising. I think it’s likely I will not travel to Australia again now nor would I expect my family to travel to see me during these times, that’s going to be very hard for me as it will be for so many  others in both countries  

I’ve no wish for a free for all to develop on this forum - I’ve mostly tried to help people when I’ve posted  -  so I’m taking a break and wish all those waiting for their visas good luck. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

There are also many deaths every year from flu  - thousands - but we don’t freak out over those and do a daily headcount.

Yes...but the crucial difference is that the immune system of humans has been learning to respond to "normal" flu infections over generations, has developed a certain level of herd immunity plus has widespread protection from flu vaccinations.   That is a very different scenario from  Covid 19 where no protection - either naturally developed immunity or vaccination - was available at the beginning.  If the "let 'er rip" principle had been applied the death count would be exponentially higher than occurs from influenza  -  including in much younger and "healthier" cohorts  -  not to mention the  collapse of the health and hospital systems and the long term health consequences of "long Covid".   Hopefully we will get to the same scenario as flu, once enough of the population has been exposed (and survived) and/or vaccinated.  

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Please  tell me exactly where I said to let Covid rip through Australia as it’s not that bad??? 

I was responding to your last post and because I hadn't read your earlier posts, I misunderstood the context, sorry.  I'm not going to reply in detail because this is not the Covid thread and we're getting way off topic.

Thankfully I received my visa November 20 and due to fly to Australia in September, I always thought this forum was to get information on visa applications/ do and don’t etc.  It now seems it is all about COVID, and yes I know it has affected the number of visas, it is not what this forum should be about.  Yes, we all have an opinion on the various governments, but again not the purpose of this forum.  If the moderators of this forum think I am out of order with MY opinion of what I thought this forum was about, please remove me from it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LBee said:

Thankfully I received my visa November 20 and due to fly to Australia in September, I always thought this forum was to get information on visa applications/ do and don’t etc.  It now seems it is all about COVID, and yes I know it has affected the number of visas, it is not what this forum should be about.  Yes, we all have an opinion on the various governments, but again not the purpose of this forum.  If the moderators of this forum think I am out of order with MY opinion of what I thought this forum was about, please remove me from it.

I completely agree, but posters who are sadly still in the long wait for the parent, started to criticise Australia for various things concerning the  covid roll out etc and needless to say there was a reaction to this, and the thread was high jacked.

The best thing to do when this happens is to report it to the moderators, as they aren’t always aware of what is happening on every thread.

Please don’t leave the forum, it has helped so many people, and your experience might help someone else.

Wish you all the best for your future life in Australia with your family.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Please  tell me exactly where I said to let Covid rip through Australia as it’s not that bad??? Did not say anything like that. I said quite categorically that Australia wasted its border closure because it didn’t use the time to vaccinate, didn't buy enough vaccine and rubbished the AZ leading to hesitancy to get vaccinated and I still stand by that. . Like Alan Collett and some other forum members I was querying  the numbers quoted as dying through Covid. UK and probably Australia too sadly lose many people to flu every year and have done for many many years - I was pointing out that it’s not reported  daily although we are all aware of it and queue up in our millions to get our flu jabs every year. I didn’t want those deaths reported as Covid deaths when they weren’t. You have misinterpreted what I said. 

. How can you say I don’t care when I know people who have died and people whose mental health has deteriorated during the lockdowns which were far harder than the current ones in Australia.  I was told to go into isolation two weeks before rest of UK did by my consultant who was aware of this “new disease”.   I live alone with no family nearby so that was extremely hard.  

Everything shut down apart from supermarkets , even certain aisles in the supermarket were roped off and covered over in plastic as they weren’t considered essential goods..I had to wait up till 3am to be able to get an online delivery slot for my food.  68 million people - an entire country - went through those lockdowns.  I mentioned that deaths are likely to rise in UK this winter because of the flu and the inability  to access medical attention because last year as rightly pointed out we were in lockdown for a very long time therefore there wasn’t a lot of flu around and experts are now telling us that flu and respiratory illnesses will rise this winter - what I was saying was they should not be counted as covid deaths. Public  Health England is looking into how it’s been misreported 

Because of what I’ve been through I’m extremely concerned now for my family over there because Delta has finally got into Australia - and no country where it’s got in has managed to stop it as it’s so virulent but I truly hope Australia doesn’t suffer like the rest of the world has,  although the cases and deaths are now sadly rising. I think it’s likely I will not travel to Australia again now nor would I expect my family to travel to see me during these times, that’s going to be very hard for me as it will be for so many  others in both countries  

I’ve no wish for a free for all to develop on this forum - I’ve mostly tried to help people when I’ve posted  -  so I’m taking a break and wish all those waiting for their visas good luck. 

Don’t leave.  You do bring valuable help and suggestions to many.  Things sometimes get a bit heated on here and just like in the real world, tempers can rise.   Try and see it as no different to a slight disagreement in your local pub.  It soon blows over and is forgotten.  I’m sure no one on this site thinks bad of you and you are entitled to an opinion.  Just put it down to the difficult times we are in.  No one likes deaths/illnesses/hardships and not seeing loved ones.  Sometimes things just boil over a little but first and foremost I think that most on this forum are good people with high values and have no intention of hurting their PIO friends.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Don’t leave.  You do bring valuable help and suggestions to many.  Things sometimes get a bit heated on here and just like in the real world, tempers can rise.   Try and see it as no different to a slight disagreement in your local pub.  It soon blows over and is forgotten.  I’m sure no one on this site thinks bad of you and you are entitled to an opinion.  Just put it down to the difficult times we are in.  No one likes deaths/illnesses/hardships and not seeing loved ones.  Sometimes things just boil over a little but first and foremost I think that most on this forum are good people with high values and have no intention of hurting their PIO friends.

I actually saw your post just as I was about to switch off notifications and leave. Thank you for your kind words. It’s a fact of life I suppose that people can misinterpret things that have been said which sometimes escalates. I’ve no wish to cause problems. Life is hard enough at times for all of us. “Celebrating” my 70th birthday a few months ago on my own during lockdown wasn’t easy although I appreciate there are so many in the same boat. Hopefully I can have a 70+1 celebration next year!! 

I do agree most of us on here try to help and support each other, to keep us going during the long wait. I’m getting on with life and starting to go out more although I still wear my masks! 

I won’t leave then but I will keep a low profile for a while till the dust settles. Thank you again it’s very much appreciated. 👍

• Like 9

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Linda please don’t leave, you have given so much help and advice to other parents waiting in the queue.

Sometimes the written word doesn’t quite come across as it was meant. Let’s all forget about covid on the parent visa thread, and all be there for each other, helping to find a way to cope with the totally unfair wait for the visa.

xM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ramot said:

Linda please don’t leave, you have given so much help and advice to other parents waiting in the queue.

Sometimes the written word doesn’t quite come across as it was meant. Let’s all forget about covid on the parent visa thread, and all be there for each other, helping to find a way to cope with the totally unfair wait for the visa.

xM

Thank you - I do appreciate your post. As I said above in my reply to @Tulip1 I will stay but will probably not post so much for a while until we all settle down back into the rhythm of a parent visa forum. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you - I do appreciate your post. As I said above in my reply to @Tulip1 I will stay but will probably not post so much for a while until we all settle down back into the rhythm of a parent visa forum. 

Please don't leave. I was surprised to read your post because you are usually such a voice of reason, and it seemed out of character.  I now think I misunderstood what you were trying to say.  The best idea, really, is not to respond to posts that are off topic and drop a line to the moderators, which is what I should have done some time ago when the discussion turned to Covid.  There is a thread discussing Covid elsewhere for those who want to talk about it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Please don't leave. I was surprised to read your post because you are usually such a voice of reason, and it seemed out of character.  I now think I misunderstood what you were trying to say.  The best idea, really, is not to respond to posts that are off topic and drop a line to the moderators, which is what I should have done some time ago when the discussion turned to Covid.  There is a thread discussing Covid elsewhere for those who want to talk about it.

Thank you @Marisa I do appreciate that. I do try to think logically normally! I’m trying to keep the old brain from deteriorating too much. I won’t be going over to the thread about Covid. I just want to enjoy the relative normality I’m starting to have here and meeting up with my friends. It’s been a very long and  hard 20 months. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Linda I’ve been  on PIO for nearly 12 years, and over that time  I have found friendship, plenty of banter and much needed support , but  you will see from my number of posts 4, 710 , that I really don’t post all that much in comparison to many  posters. I’ve learnt it’s best to know when to take a break from posting, otherwise it can take over your life, and there is more to life than PIO. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bre said:

Question- Those applicants who have been granted their ca143 visa and are offshore, are they allowed into the country?

Yes if you can find a very scarce and expensive  flight and pay for 2 weeks quarantine. The caps for entry into Australia have been halved in recent weeks. 

Edited by LindaH27

On 11/08/2021 at 08:10, LindaH27 said:

Your replies are always cordial and informative. You don’t slam others and are always there to clarify doubts and help. I look forward to reading your comments and posts. Please DO NOT think of leaving the forum, EVER !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I actually saw your post just as I was about to switch off notifications and leave. Thank you for your kind words. It’s a fact of life I suppose that people can misinterpret things that have been said which sometimes escalates. I’ve no wish to cause problems. Life is hard enough at times for all of us. “Celebrating” my 70th birthday a few months ago on my own during lockdown wasn’t easy although I appreciate there are so many in the same boat. Hopefully I can have a 70+1 celebration next year!! 

I do agree most of us on here try to help and support each other, to keep us going during the long wait. I’m getting on with life and starting to go out more although I still wear my masks! 

I won’t leave then but I will keep a low profile for a while till the dust settles. Thank you again it’s very much appreciated. 👍

Linda, I have also benefited from your very reasonable and helpful posts which give much needed analysis and information. I first learned about the very long wait ahead and what was really happening from you and I too appreciate your helpful and totally realistic comments. 
I have noticed recently that the tone of all the 3 forums I follow, has changed, people have obviously been affected hugely by Covid and the reduction in visa numbers and this stress is showing in the type of comments and over-reactions.  It is so hard for us all especially for people on their own like you, but please be aware that many of us really do appreciate your comments and knowledge of the system!  It is very difficult and frustrating when others completely misunderstand what we are trying to say, but hang in there, some of us are still on the same wavelength!  I truly hope all these parent forums can soon return to being the supportive friendly places they once were. Hardship affects us all and we are all missing our families and are often in despair but we surely must try to continue to support each other and to have HOPE - as that is all we can have at the moment! Things will get better!  So please stay on this forum and others and we can simply wait and go forward together - with encouragement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Poonam Sharma, @Juniperthank you both for your kind comments. I’m very touched by everybody’s kindness.  The long isolation here was made bearable (sometimes) by coming on this forum and trying to help people or explain what seemed to be happening as I saw it - lots of time to think about things! I also spent time reading up on as much as I could find about Australia and its  visa system, firstly for my own benefit and then the realisation I could pass this information on. I certainly don’t claim to “know it all” and am always open to being corrected but if I can help then I will do so! 😊

• Like 3

On 11/08/2021 at 16:05, LBee said:

It does seem to have gone off track.  There is a COVID thread in the CTF part of the forum, and I suggest that COVID related topics get posted there rather than on this long running thread.  Future COVID related posts will be removed from this thread.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes if you can find a very scarce and expensive  flight and pay for 2 weeks quarantine. The caps for entry into Australia have been halved in recent weeks. 

How much the cost of the 2 weeks of quarantine?