Guest guest36187

12 minutes ago, Taswegians2B said:

Gosh, yes Linda, everything you said.   It’s a very difficult situation and I feel desperately sorry for people joining the 143 queue now with such a long wait ahead of them.   We also delayed applying by a year as we didn’t want to have to apply for police certificates from China where we had lived from 2005-7.  Had we not waited, we would have been close to processing by now.  I think you are right to say that we must carry on with our lives where we are, spending years yearning to be somewhere else is not a happy place to be.   We live on a retirement visa in Malaysia.  We came here ten years ago after spending 15 years in other parts of Asia, with the view that we were halfway between our daughter in Tasmania and our parents in UK.  The idea was to travel between the two with relative ease which worked reasonably well until last year.  We’ve just heard that we are to have another grandchild early next year and ideally we would be there to help out and welcome the new addition.  That’s not going  to happen now.   We just have to keep positive and keep FaceTiming!

I just really wish that immi and migration agents would tell prospective new applicants about the “real” potential wait times! I really hate it when I see posts that say “we’ve just applied and we will be there in 3-4 years!” 

I actually think there may be some changes from the Senate enquiry - and I don’t think it will be reasonably good news.  Im probably wrong  - but I think they will attempt to stop the non contributory 804 parent visa - it’s now taking up to 30 years but the applicants are onshore on bridging visas and those from countries with reciprocal health care agreements  are costing the govt money in terms of using Medicare, public hospitals  and prescriptions etc and because they are classed as temporary residents,  any tax they pay on their income is being paid to their own countries and not to Australia. They’ve tried once before but it didn’t get through but other reviews since then have recommended it be stopped. The last review in 2016 had 4 recommendations

a) reduce the annual quotas

b) introduce a paid long term temporary visa

c) stop 804 except for very specific compassionate reasons 

d) increase the charges for the visas  

The first two have actually happened! The last one is one of the reasons so many applied in May/June 2017 as they thought or were told about the possibility of the charges being hugely increased so rushed to get them in before the new financial year started.

Any guesses on whether C & D options will happen this time ?? Im not even going to try and guess what they will say about the backlog that is the biggest for 25 years!!

Keep on keeping on !! 😊

• Like 1

Thank you both, you speak to my heart. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope your children and their little families are well, but I'm sure they miss you lots! We had our first baby in 2019 and very fortunate to have my parents coming over supporting us for 3 months. I had emergency caesarean and almost had postnatal depression. My husband, my parents and my very good friend's support in that first 6 weeks got me out of the baby blue, and my husband and I as first time parents learnt how to look after our baby. There were lots of tears when my parents left but we all thought they can come back visit us soon. Now we're planning to have our second baby, and we don't know who's going to look after our toddler when I go to give birth (it's likely to be another caesarean) - my parents can't come until the border is open, and my husband's parents are older and not in great health themselves. I know my situation is not alone and on that parents are immediate families group, there are lots of people in much difficult situation than me. Back then each year it's either me going back or my parents coming over for one or two months, now I'm doing lots of facetime with my parents (love seeing them laugh when my daughter did something funny, you know toddlers they are the cutest). Thank you for listening to me, that means a lot. 

12 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I just really wish that immi and migration agents would tell prospective new applicants about the “real” potential wait times! I really hate it when I see posts that say “we’ve just applied and we will be there in 3-4 years!” 

I actually think there may be some changes from the Senate enquiry - and I don’t think it will be reasonably good news.  Im probably wrong  - but I think they will attempt to stop the non contributory 804 parent visa - it’s now taking up to 30 years but the applicants are onshore on bridging visas and those from countries with reciprocal health care agreements  are costing the govt money in terms of using Medicare, public hospitals  and prescriptions etc and because they are classed as temporary residents,  any tax they pay on their income is being paid to their own countries and not to Australia. They’ve tried once before but it didn’t get through but other reviews since then have recommended it be stopped. The last review in 2016 had 4 recommendations

The first two have actually happened! The last one is one of the reasons so many applied in May/June 2017 as they thought or were told about the possibility of the charges being hugely increased so rushed to get them in before the new financial year started.

Any guesses on whether C & D options will happen this time ?? Im not even going to try and guess what they will say about the backlog that is the biggest for 25 years!!

Keep on keeping on !! 😊

If they stop 804, those 804 applicants are likely to choose 143 and if they are back-dated, which means the queue for 143 is even longer. 

4 minutes ago, April said:

Thank you both, you speak to my heart. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope your children and their little families are well, but I'm sure they miss you lots! We had our first baby in 2019 and very fortunate to have my parents coming over supporting us for 3 months. I had emergency caesarean and almost had postnatal depression. My husband, my parents and my very good friend's support in that first 6 weeks got me out of the baby blue, and my husband and I as first time parents learnt how to look after our baby. There were lots of tears when my parents left but we all thought they can come back visit us soon. Now we're planning to have our second baby, and we don't know who's going to look after our toddler when I go to give birth (it's likely to be another caesarean) - my parents can't come until the border is open, and my husband's parents are older and not in great health themselves. I know my situation is not alone and on that parents are immediate families group, there are lots of people in much difficult situation than me. Back then each year it's either me going back or my parents coming over for one or two months, now I'm doing lots of facetime with my parents (love seeing them laugh when my daughter did something funny, you know toddlers they are the cutest). Thank you for listening to me, that means a lot. 

You’re welcome! The aim of this forum is, I think and hope,  to help,  advise and support each other. Obviously any advice given is layman’s advice and should always be followed up with an agent  

Just now, April said:

If they stop 804, those 804 applicants are likely to choose 143 and if they are back-dated, which means the queue for 143 is even longer. 

No it wouldn’t happen that way. 804 cannot change to 143 only 103 can - as far as I understand the rules. They can change to contributory 864 but I’m not sure whether they can keep their  original date. 

If 804 decided to change to 143 they’d have to go offshore as 143 does not allow bridging visas to stay onshore - which is a sore point for many of us!! 

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there is a big increase for the 2nd VAC in the next year.  They have been tinkering around with small increases for the 1st VAC for the past few years but nothing much with the big number at the end of the process.
You could well be right about the 804 too.  I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, April said:

Thanks for the clarification Linda! Do we know what is the quota for next financial year for 143? Thanks

Not officially ! But there was mention in their recent budget that the levels of immigration would remain the same as this years. 

Hi guys, 

I applied the 143 CPV for my parents and my sibling as a dependent child on July 2017. He was 21 at the time.

At the current intake, it seems it is going to take 5+ years until my application is reached.

Does this mean my sibling  will no longer be eligible as a dependent child anymore by the time of visa decision? Is there anything we can do?

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, mikesee said:

Hi guys, 

I applied the 143 CPV for my parents and my sibling as a dependent child on July 2017. He was 21 at the time.

At the current intake, it seems it is going to take 5+ years until my application is reached.

Does this mean my sibling  will no longer be eligible as a dependent child anymore by the time of visa decision? Is there anything we can do?

Thank you.

Yes s/he would need to be 23 or younger to be eligible. It’s the age at the time of grant that counts,  not the age when  the application is made unfortunately. There’s quite a few cases I’m aware of where the dependant will no longer be eligible. I think from what the websites say, there may may be a very very small chance if the 23 year is disabled and dependant on the parents  etc but then you run up against whether they would then pass the medical as they also look at the potential costs of the disability.  

I believe what happens when your application reaches the top of thd queue is that immi will let you know the dependant is no longer valid. You then have the option I think to just remove the dependant and allow the parents alone to have the grant or all can withdraw. 

You would be best to ask an agent what to do. It may be possible for your sibling to apply for a grant of some kind in their own right given that your sibling will now be around 25 years old if he was 21 in 2017. 

2 hours ago, mikesee said:

Hi guys, 

Thank you.

Unfortunately he was never going to be eligible as he has to be under 23 at visa grant.  Being already 21 at the time you lodged the application, it was never going to be ok as the process was always going to take more than the under 2 years you had to play with before he reached 23.  There is nothing you can do, he will have to somehow get a skill that will allow him to migrate himself.  Many are in the same situation. It is unfortunate but it’s just the way it is.  

7 hours ago, mikesee said:

Hi guys, 

Thank you.

As Linda said, he was never going to be eligible, so you were badly advised.

Hi folks, 

My father in law and brother in law (was 17 years of age at the time of subclass 173 lodgement) currently onshore on subclass 173 for the last 1.5 years. We lodged application for 143 and immigration requested to provide AOS. 

I recently lodged AOS application for both of them and received an approval letter this morning requesting $10,000 bank guarantees for my father in law and mentioned assure name just my father in law not my brother in law who is currently around 22  years of age. I’m wondering why they didn’t ask bank guarantee for my brother in law ? 

also we have lodged another 143 application on in progress for my father and my younger brother lodged in may 2017 still waiting for approval. Just a quick question if they grant my father application can I provide assurance of support to my father as I know an individual you are allowed to provide AOS to 2 adult. 

if you kindly share your knowledge around that it will be highly appreciated. 

21 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Keep on keeping on !! 😊

Lol, I've always wondered why there was a sudden increase in applications during the last 2 months of that FY 16-17. Now I've got the answer.

On 30/05/2021 at 19:59, LindaH27 said:

Keep on keeping on !! 😊

Hi @LindaH27 or anyone who can assist - If they do increase 2nd VAC charges, will the increase only apply to new applications or they can still charge exponential increased fees for existing application in progress? I applied for my parents in May 2017. 

2 hours ago, amsaini15 said:

Hi @LindaH27 or anyone who can assist - If they do increase 2nd VAC charges, will the increase only apply to new applications or they can still charge exponential increased fees for existing application in progress? I applied for my parents in May 2017. 

From my understanding, any changes will apply to new applications only. That explains why so many people rushed to make applications in May/June 2017 when they were afraid that VAC would increase soon.

Edited by hawkeye10

On 02/06/2021 at 12:37, hawkeye10 said:

From my understanding, any changes will apply to new applications only. That explains why so many people rushed to make applications in May/June 2017 when they were afraid that VAC would increase soon.

Thanks hawkeye10. I would imagine the same unless govt. comes up with some excuse to apply increased charges to existing applicants. 

2 hours ago, Lya said:

Hi,

just wondering is there anyone know our queue date is the date of visa application or the date of acknowledgement application received?

Thank you 🙂

B5BF3EAC-E5B2-4197-85EA-A4B844290F88.jpeg

For application submitted before June 2018, they are the same date. 

I have a couple of questions which may also assist other new applicants who are just jumping into this thread:

1) Is the second instalment amount payable 'frozen' at the application date?  That is, if I send the application this month, and the fees subsequently increase over the next however many years, when I am called upon to pay the second instalment will it remain fixed at today's date? Is the date at which the payment is fixed the date the department receive the application in the post or the 'queueing date' which I understand is now 3 years later in many cases?

2) Is the income requirement for a sponsor of 1 parent $45k or $85k? I have done the eligibility calculator for AoS for a 143 visa on Centrelink's website and it is telling me something like $45k for 1 assuree (parent) or $50k for 2 assurees (parents). I saw someone post on here that they believe it is more like $85k for 1 parent and $160k for 2 parents? Which is correct? Are there any additional income requirements for the sponsor as opposed to the assuree, or are these higher amounts only for the temporary 173 visas?

3) I understand that if 1 parent is granted a 143, that parent can then sponsor the other parent 5 years after the 143 is granted? I do not wish to assume incorrectly but I imagine that for most parent visa applicants, after the grant they will be splitting their time between Australia and their country or origin (rather than living in Australia full-time). In those circumstances, I am surprised not to see more people applying for a single 143, having the other parent visit on a visitors visa while the first parent spends part of each of the first 5 years in Australia, and then subsequently sponsoring them for a partner visa - am I missing something?

4) I understand the timeframe from submission of application to visa grant is now well over 5 years for a 143, possibly 7? Is this accurate, and is there any way it could improve? This is absolutely incredible where such large sums of money are being required supposedly for a fast processing time.

As an Australian assisting my spouse with a 143 visa application for her mother, it is absolutely dismaying to read the last few pages of this thread. As Australia has always relied upon immigration throughout its history, I feel that it is shameful for our country to be treating immigrants, who have a need like anyone else to look after their parents in old age, in this totally unaccountable way - particularly where very large sums of money and represent considerable sacrifices are being paid for fast processing. I understand that there are large social security costs, however this should be seen as the other necessary side of the equation which sees us benefit from millions of hardworking immigrants. It is wrong and unacceptable to treat the needs of these immigrants as such a low priority just because they do not form a majority of the voting population.

Thanks to any guidance anyone is able to provide.

5 hours ago, Radagast said:

I have a couple of questions which may also assist other new applicants who are just jumping into this thread:

1) Is the second instalment amount payable 'frozen' at the application date?  That is, if I send the application this month, and the fees subsequently increase over the next however many years, when I am called upon to pay the second instalment will it remain fixed at today's date? Is the date at which the payment is fixed the date the department receive the application in the post or the 'queueing date' which I understand is now 3 years later in many cases?

2) Is the income requirement for a sponsor of 1 parent $45k or $85k? I have done the eligibility calculator for AoS for a 143 visa on Centrelink's website and it is telling me something like $45k for 1 assuree (parent) or $50k for 2 assurees (parents). I saw someone post on here that they believe it is more like $85k for 1 parent and $160k for 2 parents? Which is correct? Are there any additional income requirements for the sponsor as opposed to the assuree, or are these higher amounts only for the temporary 173 visas?

3) I understand that if 1 parent is granted a 143, that parent can then sponsor the other parent 5 years after the 143 is granted? I do not wish to assume incorrectly but I imagine that for most parent visa applicants, after the grant they will be splitting their time between Australia and their country or origin (rather than living in Australia full-time). In those circumstances, I am surprised not to see more people applying for a single 143, having the other parent visit on a visitors visa while the first parent spends part of each of the first 5 years in Australia, and then subsequently sponsoring them for a partner visa - am I missing something?

4) I understand the timeframe from submission of application to visa grant is now well over 5 years for a 143, possibly 7? Is this accurate, and is there any way it could improve? This is absolutely incredible where such large sums of money are being required supposedly for a fast processing time.

As an Australian assisting my spouse with a 143 visa application for her mother, it is absolutely dismaying to read the last few pages of this thread. As Australia has always relied upon immigration throughout its history, I feel that it is shameful for our country to be treating immigrants, who have a need like anyone else to look after their parents in old age, in this totally unaccountable way - particularly where very large sums of money and represent considerable sacrifices are being paid for fast processing. I understand that there are large social security costs, however this should be seen as the other necessary side of the equation which sees us benefit from millions of hardworking immigrants. It is wrong and unacceptable to treat the needs of these immigrants as such a low priority just because they do not form a majority of the voting population.

4) Way more than that number. Currently the number of applications on-hand is about 50k, while quota for 143 is below 4k (roughly 3600). You can do the math. If one of the parents are over 65/67 (the pension age), better apply for 864 as that gives them the bridging visa to stay in Australia while waiting for grant.

I can’t answer all your questions but wanted to say I don’t think it’s shameful on Australia at all to not want thousands of parents in.  Why would they want a load of old people coming over to live and drain the system in expensive aged care and the medical issues getting older brings.  I say this as a British parent waiting in the queue and I’m not that old but I fully understand why the country doesn’t see us as prime assets.  If migrants have such a need to look after their parents then they can chose to do that on home soil.  You can’t move to a different country to live and then moan about the fact that country doesn’t want your parents racking up, of course they don’t.  It is much harder to bring an Australian parent to the UK so we should be grateful a parent visa to Australia even exists.  As for the timeframe of 143 visa. Those applying now are looking at a wait of about 10 years, maybe more.  I’m not too sure about the 5 year wait after 143 to do a spouse visa but know it exists. I’d think you’d have to be resident in Australia for five years first but I could be wrong. I don’t think most would get the visa and spend their time between both countries. If that was someone’s plan they could just do regular long holidays and save a fortune. Again, no idea how many people do that but I’d think most get the visa to make the permanent move to live near their children/grandchildren. As for the income requirements of the sponsor, again not sure but I’d be very surprised if it was $45k, that’s very low to show you can financially look after another person if necessary. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

1)  The 2nd Vac currently remains at what it was when you applied. Whether it can ever be retrospectively changed - I don’t know ! 

2) Not sure but it fluctuates  depending if the sponsor has children I believe? 

3) That rule was brought in a few years ago as immi realised people were using it as a cheap way to get in! Pay for one parent then sponsor the other as partner so they stopped it! You can’t apply for partner visa until you have been in Australia for 5 years - if you’re outside of the country at 5 years you would have to apply for a resident return visas to get back in. You also need to be seen as resident for a certain amount of years for the partner visa. 

4) the queue is now around 60000 - annual quota is 3600! I’ll leave you to figure out the maths 

Edited by LindaH27

14 minutes ago, hawkeye10 said:

4) Way more than that number. Currently the number of applications on-hand is about 50k, while quota for 143 is below 4k (roughly 3600). You can do the math. If one of the parents are over 65/67 (the pension age), better apply for 864 as that gives them the bridging visa to stay in Australia while waiting for grant.

To say it’s better to apply for 864 may not be true. Sure they would get a bridging visa to stay in Australia but they would also spend the rest of their lives on that bridging visa as the 864 has a 30 year wait.  There are many disadvantages being on a bridging visa and they need careful consideration before they can decide it’s a better option.  I’d say you need a vast amount of money for it to be a better option.  No access to any state benefits etc so if you ever need aged care and none of us know we won’t then you’ll have to pay for it yourself.  Just one of many examples of the pitfalls of a bridging visa. 

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

To say it’s better to apply for 864 may not be true. Sure they would get a bridging visa to stay in Australia but they would also spend the rest of their lives on that bridging visa as the 864 has a 30 year wait.  There are many disadvantages being on a bridging visa and they need careful consideration before they can decide it’s a better option.  I’d say you need a vast amount of money for it to be a better option.  No access to any state benefits etc so if you ever need aged care and none of us know we won’t then you’ll have to pay for it yourself.  Just one of many examples of the pitfalls of a bridging visa. 

I think you might be confusing the subclass 864 visa with the 804 visa ...

Best regards.

• Like 1