Guest guest36187

49 minutes ago, Poonam Sharma said:

Thanks Tulip. Also , would like to know about the queue date being mentioned. We did not receive any such mail ??!!

I think the queue dates started after you lodged so you won’t have one.

Applications before June 2018: queue dates are application dates no matter what.

Applications from June 2018: queue dates are the dates given after your applications are accessed and only if they are eligible.

Question is: did the visa department actually access before-June-2018 applications and only contacted non-eligible applications to let them know they are out of the queue, or no access at all. If no access, it would be too unfair for before-June-2018 applications as they applied earlier but have to wait in the dark, while from-June-2018 applications at least know well if they are all good and it's just a matter of time.

6 minutes ago, VyVy said:

Applications before June 2018: queue dates are application dates no matter what.

Applications from June 2018: queue dates are the dates given after your applications are accessed and only if they are eligible.

Question is: did the visa department actually access before-June-2018 applications and only contacted non-eligible applications to let them know they are out of the queue, or no access at all. If no access, it would be too unfair for before-June-2018 applications as they applied earlier but have to wait in the dark, while from-June-2018 applications at least know well if they are all good and it's just a matter of time.

Respectfully, the sooner you forget the notion of fairness in the context of the processing of visa applications the happier you will sleep at night.  😀

Best regards.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Respectfully, the sooner you forget the notion of fairness in the context of the processing of visa applications the happier you will sleep at night.  😀

Best regards.

Thanks, but that's not an answer for my question.

15 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

I think you probably already know the answer to your question ... hence my observation about the issue of fairness.

Best regards.

If I already knew I didn't have to ask.

Edited by VyVy

Taken from The Guardian (online) 24/5/21 - probably part of the ongoing Senate enquiry  Note : the Parents total will be the sum of both contributory and non contributory, also bear in mind the projected 25 years wait times isn’t accurate as it includes non contributory which can take up to 30 years but it’s still pretty grim reading! 

Also given that the Partner stream quota allowed is 72000 (?) it looks like the bulk of the wait list  for that could possibly be dealt with in one year! 

“In Estimates, Home Affairs officials are going through the statistics on the backlog of parents and partners of Australian still awaiting visas.

Officials said the family visa program is the biggest in 25 years. Partners waiting for visas peaked at 98,000 at the end of October, but has come down to just over 77,000 in April.

And parent visas? 114,000 people have applied and are still waiting. Just 4,500 places have been allocated for parent visas this year. At that rate it would take 25 years to clear the backlog.

Earlier, the secretary Michael Pezzullo said: As announced in the Budget, the 2021-22 migration program will have an overall planning level of 160,000 places, carrying over the 2020-21 migration program composition and planning levels, including 79,600 places for the skill stream and 77,300 places for the Family stream. The skill stream will continue to focus on visa categories that will help Australia’s economy rebound from Covid-19, with priority given to visa cohorts that drive economic growth, job creation and investment into Australia.”

Edited 
Edited by LindaH27

Hi guys, just received the Queue Letter from PVC an hour ago. We applied in July 2018, and got the queue date of 28 May 2021. Tbh, I don't really understand the separation between applications submitted before and after June 2018. What about the gap between June 2018 and May 2021? It's totally meaningless, imo.

4 hours ago, hawkeye10 said:

Hi guys, just received the Queue Letter from PVC an hour ago. We applied in July 2018, and got the queue date of 28 May 2021. Tbh, I don't really understand the separation between applications submitted before and after June 2018. What about the gap between June 2018 and May 2021? It's totally meaningless, imo.

Hi,  Applicants prior to June 18 are given their lodgement date as their queue date.  I assume they will be processed in queue date order and ignore the 3 year gap.  Going forward Immi will start using queue dates rather than lodgement dates.  Will that be so processing wait times don’t seem as long, even though they are?

11 minutes ago, MillieB said:

Hi,  Applicants prior to June 18 are given their lodgement date as their queue date.  I assume they will be processed in queue date order and ignore the 3 year gap.  Going forward Immi will start using queue dates rather than lodgement dates.  Will that be so processing wait times don’t seem as long, even though they are?

Won’t they actually be longer? They go by the dates so currently they’re processing May/June 2016. So surely an application with a queue date three years later than  the actual application is bound to take longer?? EG applied July 2018 but won’t  look at it when it reaches that processing date but only when the processing date reaches the queue date three years later? I wonder if it’s a way of saying they expect it to take 3 years longer than normal due  to the  length of the queue? 
804 and 103 parent visas have always had a queue date - and they’re only presently considering  dates for 2010 (I think!) which would have applied earlier than that. 

10 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Won’t they actually be longer? They go by the dates so currently they’re processing May/June 2016. So surely an application with a queue date three years later than  the actual application is bound to take longer?? EG applied July 2018 but won’t  look at it when it reaches that processing date but only when the processing date reaches the queue date three years later? I wonder if it’s a way of saying they expect it to take 3 years longer than normal due  to the  length of the queue? 
804 and 103 parent visas have always had a queue date - and they’re only presently considering  dates for 2010 (I think!) which would have applied earlier than that. 

I am assuming they will just take the next one out of the queue.  Are you saying they will not  start processing any 143 applications after May 18 lodgements for 3 years?  Wow!  I think I’ll ask our agent’s take on this. 

10 minutes ago, MillieB said:

I am assuming they will just take the next one out of the queue.  Are you saying they will not  start processing any 143 applications after May 18 lodgements for 3 years?  Wow!  I think I’ll ask our agent’s take on this. 

I’ve no idea  - I was just wondering how they would work it! if they say they go on queue dates for processing then obviously a 2024 queue date is later than a post July 2018 date ?? May 2016 dates aren’t being processed till 5 years after they applied.  Given  that in May/June 2017 alone there were nearly 9000 applications, -well  going on that - at a quota of 3600 per year those two months alone are going to add well over two years to the wait time ! 

It would be helpful if an agent could comment in this to help other applicants waiting in the queue  if you get a reply please post here TIA

Edited by LindaH27

16 minutes ago, MillieB said:

Errr ... I think not!

Stay calm.  

45 minutes ago, MillieB said:

Are you saying they will not  start processing any 143 applications after May 18 lodgements for 3 years? 

Re read my post - I didn’t say that. I never mentioned May 18 lodgements! I was wondering aloud and asked questions whether it would take longer - lots of question marks in my post 

Edited by LindaH27

My parents applied 143 in June 2017, from what I'm reading on this forum (the FOI document listed number of applicants by months and by category), it seems there are more than 20,000 people ahead. If the quota is 3600 each year, which means my parents still need to wait for another 6 years for the visa? 

This has been the biggest regret in my life, I could have applied visa for them in July 2015 they could have already been granted the visa. My parents are getting older each day too and I am their only child. My husband and I had our first baby in 2019 and my parents only got to meet my baby briefly when she was born. And with the border restriction that they couldn't use the 600 visa to come visit. I so much miss them and wish they are here and can spend the time with us and their granddaughter.

I know regret cannot change a thing, and regret is useless, but it just brought me into tears every time I think of the visa and border and feel so hopeless. Is there anything I could do to change? I've explored the option of 'compassionate ground exemption to enter australia', the option of visa 870, the option of change to 864 (probably bad idea as I think we'll lose the position of July 2017). Maybe I should just accept and get on with my life, instead of spending my energy in regret? Sorry I just need to vent. 

To Linda, thanks for all your posts, they are very informative. My parents applied around the same time as you. Do you think it would need another 6 years? What can we do if it's another 6 years? It has already been 4 years... I found hard to cope, if I knew it took so long I would have applied in 2015.

2 minutes ago, April said:

To Linda, thanks for all your posts, they are very informative. My parents applied around the same time as you. Do you think it would need another 6 years? What can we do if it's another 6 years? It has already been 4 years... I found hard to cope, if I knew it took so long I would have applied in 2015.

Hi yes I’m June 2017 and feel as upset as you. I had the chance to apply in 2015 when my grand daughter was born, having been an regular  visitor for many years before that and my daughter would come home every two years.  I spent 4 months with them, I arrived 2 weeks before she was born and was so happy to be there at that time. I haven’t seen them since 2018 as personal circumstances (selling house and downsizing to apartment , decluttering etc) meant I couldn’t go in 2019 then the borders closed in 2020 just before I was going to go over again although I did get my flight refunded. . We did look into applying for 143 when I was there in 2015. . But my daughter was going on 12 months maternity leave.  At that time the wait list was (incorrectly) advised as being around 18 months but because immi would require two years of proof of her income as sponsor we decided to wait until she was back at work before applying so left it till 2017. We both really regret that as I would have had my PR by now. 
When the current Australia govt was elected one of its campaign promises was   to slash immigration - it’s also not allowing parents to try for exemptions to enter at this time as parents are not considered immediate family!!! It’s extremely difficult to get an exemption on compassionate grounds as well. There’s a group called Parents are immediate family on a big social media site ( I don’t think we are supposed to mention names here) and  the stories on there are very sad. 

Parents  are considered to cost the taxpayer too much as they get older snd need more medical help and potential aged care and the cost of the visa  is construed as only being a tenth of the actual cost. There  is currently a Senate enquiry going on into the fairness,  costs, and efficacy of parent visas and a report is due in August. This has happened because there has finally been an outcry about cutting the quotas etc and various politicians (Julian Hill and Nick McKim) have been taking up the grievances from their constituents and their parents about this. This backlog of visas is apparently the biggest for 25 years. There’s an election next year and you can make your choice depending on which party you think would give you a better chance to restart parent immigration at higher levels than Present ones. The govt has also decided to temporarily prioritise those who were onshore when the borders closed despite the proviso that all applications are dealt with in strict date order. 

If your parents  choose to change to 864 then yes they  would lose their  place in the queue. You would have to withdraw the 143 application and apply for 864 with a new queue date. They  can obviously stay onshore with that but they would be on a bridging visa for many many years as 864 is in the same queue as 143. There are various difficulties attached to being on bridging visas, especially Medicare limitations etc 

870 is potentially the way to be onshore and keep the 143 going but again can have some repercussions. You would probably need the 5 year rather than the 3 year costing $10000 per parent. If 143 is not granted before 870 ends they would have to leave Australia for 3 months before they could reapply for another 870 - I don’t know if that would be an automatic acceptance or would go through the wait for processing again in case sponsor/parent  details have changed. The processing time is currently being given in terms of months   so its possible the time outside Australia could stretch from 3 months to 6 months so they would need somewhere to live. None  of us know yet what will happen as we haven’t reached that point in time when 870 is due for renewal. The first ones were issued in 2019 so a 3 year one would be coming up for renewal next year in 2022. 
Also there’s an annual limit of 15000 places on 870 - and with the borders closed there have been a lot of applications already that are just waiting to be finalised and granted once the borders open. 
It’s difficult  to estimate the remaining wait time. The numbers could reduce because people have died, been refused a visa for various reasons or changed to another visa with a new later queue date  or simply withdrawn because they think they will be too old by the time they potentially reach the top of the queue. On  other hand some on the 103 non contributory parent visa with a very long wait time can change to 143  and still keep their original application date so could immediately go to the top of the queue. Or a new govt with more favourable  ideas about parental immigration may increase the quota. It’s really very difficult to assess. I can’t really help. My way is to get on with my life here as best I can and FaceTime regularly which is a blessing that we can do that. I remember my  uncle emigrating to New Zealand many many years ago and only corresponding through the blue airmail which took weeks to get there and the reply took weeks to come back !  You had to book a phone call and there was always a gap between one person’s speech ending before you could reply - so  being able to see and chat with family in real time now  is amazing! . Although definitely not a substitute for a real hug etc ! 

You’re not alone, I do understand and there are so many people in the same boat. I think people have thought “I’m only 24 hours away” when deciding to emigrate but sadly world events have changed that. Let’s keep our fingers crossed the Senate enquiry comes back with some news that is positive. Let’s also hope that Australia gets its vaccination program speeding up and that Australians are prepared to be vaccinated to help with the borders opening. 

Gosh, yes Linda, everything you said.   It’s a very difficult situation and I feel desperately sorry for people joining the 143 queue now with such a long wait ahead of them.   We also delayed applying by a year as we didn’t want to have to apply for police certificates from China where we had lived from 2005-7.  Had we not waited, we would have been close to processing by now.  I think you are right to say that we must carry on with our lives where we are, spending years yearning to be somewhere else is not a happy place to be.   We live on a retirement visa in Malaysia.  We came here ten years ago after spending 15 years in other parts of Asia, with the view that we were halfway between our daughter in Tasmania and our parents in UK.  The idea was to travel between the two with relative ease which worked reasonably well until last year.  We’ve just heard that we are to have another grandchild early next year and ideally we would be there to help out and welcome the new addition.  That’s not going  to happen now.   We just have to keep positive and keep FaceTiming!