Guest guest36187

4 minutes ago, GMERIN53 said:

Thanks for the super quick reply 🙂

She lives in the UK ( Scotland )

I have tried to find this out on the Immi website but could not find the info.

Do you have experience of this ?

It’s not on immi. It’s centrelink website! 
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/when-you-visit-australia

UK is on the list!  Just be aware it’s essential care only. Eg if you fall and break a hip,  you qualify for a new hip but you wouldn’t qualify if it was due to arthritis and general ageing etc. 

Edited by LindaH27

5 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/when-you-visit-australia

UK is on the list!  Just be aware it’s essential care only. Eg if you fall and break a hip,  you qualify for a new hip but you wouldn’t qualify if it was due to arthritis and general ageing etc. 

Also, be aware that she would have to pay full PBS prices for all her prescriptions.  No pensioner concessions and no safety net.  

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

I was a bit confused if the poster was saying his mother wants to come and stay here, and then apply for a parent visa onshore?  I know that’s not possible until things change.

Does the above apply to a visitor visa only? If you are here on a bridging visa having applied for an onshore parent visa, then unless the rules have changed several couples I know from the UK who now have PR from the 804 visa never had a problem being treated for anything on Medicare, I don’t know how much their prescriptions cost, but I will ask next time I see them. Luckily for them the waiting time was much less when they came, 10 years was the quickest. The longest 12 years? 

Edited by ramot

49 minutes ago, ramot said:

I was a bit confused if the poster was saying his mother wants to come and stay here, and then apply for a parent visa onshore?  I know that’s not possible until things change.

Does the above apply to a visitor visa only? If you are here on a bridging visa having applied for an onshore parent visa, then unless the rules have changed several couples I know from the UK who now have PR from the 804 visa never had a problem being treated for anything on Medicare, I don’t know how much their prescriptions cost, but I will ask next time I see them. Luckily for them the waiting time was much less when they came, 10 years was the quickest. The longest 12 years? 

Yes he is asking about his mother coming over then applying for 804 but his question was concerning reciprocal health agreement which is what I answered. 

As far as I’m aware the rules concerning reciprocal  health  agreement apply also to bridging visas. 

Legally the rules say only essential but I know from other posters (and agents) that  some Medicare staff have not questioned this and therefore some people have received the normal Medicare. Guess it’s pot luck which way applies. Possibly they will now be stricter given the problems with Covid and the cost to the taxpayer and Medicare? 

New 804 applications are now said to be 30 years wait - thats if they are still Available after the latest enquiry on parent visas! They’ve tried to get rid of it once before and will possibly try again. We will know more once the the enquiry finished towards end April and the report is due early August. 

• Like 1

Yes , this is not possible at the moment due to covid.

Planning for the future , Life as normal will go on at some time in the future.

Hopefully sometime soon

Thanks for all the information so far 😀

Edited by GMERIN53
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes he is asking about his mother coming over then applying for 804 but his question was concerning reciprocal health agreement which is what I answered. 

As far as I’m aware the rules concerning reciprocal  health  agreement apply also to bridging visas. 

Legally the rules say only essential but I know from other posters (and agents) that  some Medicare staff have not questioned this and therefore some people have received the normal Medicare. Guess it’s pot luck which way applies. Possibly they will now be stricter given the problems with Covid and the cost to the taxpayer and Medicare? 

New 804 applications are now said to be 30 years wait - thats if they are still Available after the latest enquiry on parent visas! They’ve tried to get rid of it once before and will possibly try again. We will know more once the the enquiry finished towards end April and the report is due early August. 

Interesting I’ve just googled the 804 visa bridging visa conditions with Medicare and it states both 103 and 804  applicants not eligible for Medicare while on a bridging visa, as you said, and have to rely on reciprocal agreements. Think people in the past might have slipped through the net? or just been lucky with everything they had needed to be done was done with no problem?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ramot said:

Interesting I’ve just googled the 804 visa bridging visa conditions with Medicare and it states both 103 and 804  applicants not eligible for Medicare while on a bridging visa, as you said, and have to rely on reciprocal agreements. Think people in the past might have slipped through the net? or just been lucky with everything they had needed to be done was done with no problem?

I suspect it’s like the NHS in the UK, where Brits resident in Europe aren’t supposed to be allowed to get free treatment in the UK but local staff aren’t always on the ball. 

On 12/03/2021 at 12:54, Marisawright said:

The main objection to applying onshore for a parent visa is the medical one, for most people.  If your parents are currently resident in a country with reciprocal rights, then that issue doesn't apply because effectively, Medicare will cover everything they need.   You just need to be aware that their prescriptions will be at full price, no pensioner concessions or Safety Net, whereas they would be getting all their medications free in the UK.  No bus passes either!

The other objection is the fact that they have to uproot their whole lives, sell their home, dispose of goods etc, without any certainty that they'll get a visa.  They might fail the medical or discover too late there's  a mistake in the application, or the rules change, and they'll be forced to go back home to nothing.   

Finally, there's the fact that they will pay tens of thousands of dollars extra if they want to buy a home while they're waiting.  

Once upon a time, before the waiting times were so ridiculous, most people would have advised the elderly were better off waiting offshore in the comfort of their own home, with their own possessions and friends around them and full access to the NHS, until they had a permanent visa.  Nowadays it's not such a clearcut decision.  However, as it's very unlikely your parents can get a visitor visa this year, it's all a bit hypothetical anyway.

Thanks @Marisawright They are from UK. They would sell everything to come over on an 870 so I guess that's just the way it has to be unless they want to wait in the uk for the next 8-10 years. 

They will stay with us until they can buy a home. 

Do you know how long after application they are sent for for medical?

On 15/01/2021 at 16:58, LindaH27 said:

Recent changes from last October.

Applications made before June 2018 have their lodgement date as queue date. But after June 2018 applications will be assessed and if valid will then be given a queue date - which will be later than the lodgement date. Similar to that of 103 and 804. These commonly have a queue date 2 years late than application date ! Whether this will be the case with post June 2018 isn’t clear yet as it only started last October 

Ive attached a screenshot of a post by Alan Collett 

6AFDA79F-249A-472A-A0BF-569D2B390432.thumb.jpeg.d1af23b0188267eadd41f6940ad3d1ea.jpeg

Why would an earlier application get a queue date later than a more recent application? 

On 03/02/2021 at 13:56, Arti said:

Yes I agree, everyone needs to rally around this and make some noise so we get heard. How does one go about this, do you send your local MP an email?

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/FamilyandPartnerVisas?fbclid=IwAR2xiqpk_qz0FmtdnCPwB9rOMW-aR3Jni_J8Ju_jQjEHG4iVloRO6M76Xuk

There is an enquiry as to the efficacy, fairness, timeliness and costs of the processing and granting of partner and family visas. Please take time to submit and have your say! 

1 hour ago, Ollie1234 said:

Thanks @Marisawright They are from UK. ...They will stay with us until they can buy a home. 

Do you know how long after application they are sent for for medical?

I mentioned the country because occasionally, we see parents who have retired to Spain or France before deciding to come to Australia, and they're not covered.  It's the country of residence that counts not the country of citizenship (only mentioning that for the sake of others who might read this post).

So, do you mean they'll live with you for the 8-10 years?  

My understanding is there's an initial, basic medical check.  The full medical occurs when the visa is finally processed, and that's the reason it's an issue. Parents who are in good health now, might not pass a medical in 8-10 years' time.  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I mentioned the country because occasionally, we see parents who have retired to Spain or France before deciding to come to Australia, and they're not covered.  It's the country of residence that counts not the country of citizenship (only mentioning that for the sake of others who might read this post).

So, do you mean they'll live with you for the 8-10 years?  

My understanding is there's an initial, basic medical check.  The full medical occurs when the visa is finally processed, and that's the reason it's an issue. Parents who are in good health now, might not pass a medical in 8-10 years' time.  

They will live with us - we're looking into a dual living set up. 
Thanks for info re medical. Yes, very risky expecting them to pass a medical in 10 years, but at least they will have spent 10 years here. If they do that and then fail we would have no choice but to go back to the UK with them. 

3 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

Why would an earlier application get a queue date later than a more recent application? 

The comment is intended to highlight the importance of moving quickly when requests for medicals and police clearances are requested - you can jump up the processing queue if you are on the ball.

Having a supportive migration agent who is on the ball - who is able to anticipate the request for medicals and police checks - can therefore help you achieve a faster visa outcome - and hence be with children and grandchildren quicker.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

The comment is intended to highlight the importance of moving quickly when requests for medicals and police clearances are requested - you can jump up the processing queue if you are on the ball.

Having a supportive migration agent who is on the ball - who is able to anticipate the request for medicals and police checks - can therefore help you achieve a faster visa outcome - and hence be with children and grandchildren quicker.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards.

I would definitely recommend a supportive migration agent!  saved us a lot of stress and hassle.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

They will live with us - we're looking into a dual living set up. 
Thanks for info re medical. Yes, very risky expecting them to pass a medical in 10 years, but at least they will have spent 10 years here. If they do that and then fail we would have no choice but to go back to the UK with them. 

They will have a temporary medical about 2-3 years ( currently) after they apply for 804 - this is is put them into the queue or deport  them if they don’t pass. It could be longer than that. It might be best waiting for the result of the current enquiry - report due in August. However until the borders open,  parents can’t get onshore to apply anyway and the fact the borders are closed could mean they decide to make any changes before they reopen  

They are looking into ALL parent visas. They have tried before to get rid of 804 as it costs the taxpayers too much money in  health care as they get older. I believe you would have to pay for aged care home as well if needed  

The last review in 2016 recommended 4 things

1.  Introduce a paid long term temp visa

2. Reduce the quota of parent visas allowed

3.  Only allow 804 on compassionate grounds

4. Greatly increase the cost of contributory parent visas. 

They've done the first two!

They could  be looking at the third due to the cost of aged care plus the fact that Australian economy needs boosting after Covid - hence the increase in Partner visa quota to get more young people in who will work, not just to reunite families. 

The fourth resulted in the huge increase  in Applications in people hoping to avoid any increase in charges - which is why the queue jumped so dramatically in May/June 2016 and 2017 as people were worried in case the increase would come in at the start of financial year date in July.  Ironically this is leading to exactly what they don’t want - an increase in 804 applications! 

Finally the reciprocal health agreement is just that - an agreement rather than a law! It also only applies to 11 countries - so Australia could decide to cancel the agreement if they wanted to, if it was costing them too much money 

There is some sort of precedent for them to do similar if they wanted to. UK pensions are frozen  once they leave UK. Australia had an agreement to top those pensions up - but they stopped that a few years ago too! 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Remember that if the health test is failed the parent/s has the option of the subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa.

Failing the medical examination doesn't mean deportation - that's a tad extreme, even for Australia!

Best regards.

Thank you Alan perhaps”asked to leave” within so many days (possibly 35?) would have been a better way of putting it! 

As a matter of interest is the 602 Medical Viss only a temporary one to - say - finish any treatment currently being taken or can it be used to remain permanently in Australia? It just seems odd that you have to pass a medical to remain in Australia but can then apply for 602 if you fail - rather defeats the object of having to have Medicals? 
Would appreciate your thoughts on this,  thank you ! 

Edited by LindaH27

• 2 weeks later...

WELL!

they have stuck to their word and started issuing parent visas to those onshore as from today. 
Got my grant this morning after 5yrs 5days!
Good luck to the others waiting, as at least we know now they saved us a place !

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 11

8 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

WELL!

they have stuck to their word and started issuing parent visas to those onshore as from today. 
Good luck to the others waiting, as at least we know now they saved us a place !

Fantastic - great news, Kath!

Best wishes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

WELL!

Congrats you’ve had a long wait...it definitely is worth it....enjoy being an Aussie 🇦🇺🇦🇺😎😎

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

WELL!

Great news Kath. We also got ours granted today. It has been a great effort by everyone who helped get this concession but we could not have done it without the help and support of Julian Hill MP. He has been awesome! Now  we can enjoy staying in this wonderfull country with our families. Good luck and best wishes to everyone who is still waiting. 

• Congratulations 9

6 minutes ago, Bigtrev said:

Great news Kath. We also got ours granted today. It has been a great effort by everyone who helped get this concession but we could not have done it without the help and support of Julian Hill MP. He has been awesome! Now  we can enjoy staying in this wonderfull country with our families. Good luck and best wishes to everyone who is still waiting. 

Very true. Julian was amazing. Best wishes !

• Congratulations 1

13 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

WELL!

That’s such good news Kath! 
It’s been a long road & as you say - great to know places were saved for those of in your position. Makes it all feel a little fairer! 
Now celebrate your new status and relax into Australian life 👍  You’ve made it! 🎉

• Thanks 1