Guest guest36187

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I’ve just seen on another site that says someone came in on a tourist visa and applied onshore for 143 which  I know you can do. However the poster then said that a bridging visa was granted so that the parent could stay in Australia until visa is granted!! . I wasn’t aware of this as I thought no bridging visas were given on a 143 but when I suggested it was perhaps 864  or 804 visa instead I was told it was definitely a 143 

Does anyone know any differently about any changes in this area as it could have a massive impact if 143 applicants could get a bridging visa to be with their families instead of waiting offshore. TIA

I think bridging visas are being issued with the current covid situation. I don't think 143s can get a bridging visa that'll last all way through till decision time.

12 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I’ve just seen on another site that says someone came in on a tourist visa and applied onshore for 143 which  I know you can do. However the poster then said that a bridging visa was granted so that the parent could stay in Australia until visa is granted!! . I wasn’t aware of this as I thought no bridging visas were given on a 143 but when I suggested it was perhaps 864  or 804 visa instead I was told it was definitely a 143 

Does anyone know any differently about any changes in this area as it could have a massive impact if 143 applicants could get a bridging visa to be with their families instead of waiting offshore. TIA

Hi Linda.

Feel able to send a link to the other site privately and I'll have a look.

Best regards.

Hi all

our 143 visa was granted on 28th January 2020, our arrive by date is 28th January 2021.

As it stands are we 100% going to be accepted into Australia as until we arrive we are not classed as a residents , so we are worried that we could be turned away, or are we classed as residents the moment our visas were granted.

mark

2 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Hi all

our 143 visa was granted on 28th January 2020, our arrive by date is 28th January 2021.

As it stands are we 100% going to be accepted into Australia as until we arrive we are not classed as a residents , so we are worried that we could be turned away, or are we classed as residents the moment our visas were granted.

mark

Hi Mark, like you I was worried about entering Australia as wasn’t sure if my visa(143) was classed as resident until I validated it. If you go to   immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/VEVO    That’s the Visa Entitlement Verification Online site,  you can put in your details and under Visa description it will show RESIDENT.   We are traveling the beginning of July and have not validated our visa yet. Other people have posted on here at the beginning of lockdown entering without any problems. You are classed as Permanent Resident.

Shelagh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

My parents were due to come to Australia in a few weeks and apply for the 864 visa onshore. 
Just wondering whether it would be worth us applying for compassionate/compelling circumstances for them to still travel. I very much doubt it would be granted but interested to hear if anyone had tried and been successful. They are from the UK and have an existing multiple entry tourist visa that is still valid. They also have paid a deposit with a migration agent back in February which may help to support their case.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, emma2104 said:

Hi all,

My parents were due to come to Australia in a few weeks and apply for the 864 visa onshore. 
Just wondering whether it would be worth us applying for compassionate/compelling circumstances for them to still travel. I very much doubt it would be granted but interested to hear if anyone had tried and been successful. They are from the UK and have an existing multiple entry tourist visa that is still valid. They also have paid a deposit with a migration agent back in February which may help to support their case.

Cheers,

If you have already engaged an agent, then ask him. However as they are not permanent residents, and unless there is some compelling reason why they need to see you (like illness), I can’t see how they would get permission.

Re: Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

There is a four year qualification to obtain this Health Card, but I am unsure which date is the determining one - the date of the grant of 143 Visa; the validation date; or the date of arrival to take up physical residence. 

Does anybody know the answer please?  Calling Centrelink is not something to be undertaken lightly at the moment!

On 09/06/2020 at 21:10, fremarco said:

Hi Sadge

When we got ours, it was only 2 years then, it was the date that we started to live here permanently i.e. physical residence.

Good luck, 

Thank you.  Yes, it changed from 2 to 4 years.  It's a little confusing because it appears that new 143 visa holders are being classed as "residents' for the purpose of allowing travel into Australia during the current travel restrictions, even though they haven't previously validated or taken up permanent residence.   

53 minutes ago, Sadge said:

It's a little confusing because it appears that new 143 visa holders are being classed as "residents' for the purpose of allowing travel into Australia during the current travel restrictions, even though they haven't previously validated or taken up permanent residence.   

When you are granted a permanent visa of any kind, you are classed as a resident from the date you arrive to settle permanently in the country.  That has always been the case.  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

When you are granted a permanent visa of any kind, you are classed as a resident from the date you arrive to settle permanently in the country.  That has always been the case.  

I'm not disagreeing with you, just that it appears new visa holders are able to enter Australia in spite of the present restrictions on travel, with no requirement that their journey is for the purpose of taking up permanent residence at this time (rather than making a validation trip) because they are classed as "residents".  I am referring to an earlier post by Jellybean.  

20 hours ago, Sadge said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, just that it appears new visa holders are able to enter Australia in spite of the present restrictions on travel, with no requirement that their journey is for the purpose of taking up permanent residence at this time (rather than making a validation trip) because they are classed as "residents".  I am referring to an earlier post by Jellybean.  

If they hold a PR visa they can fly in, if temp they can't. That is part of (not in spite of) the current restrictions. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If they hold a PR visa they can fly in, if temp they can't. That is part of (not in spite of) the current restrictions

I thought familly of PR or Citizen still can pass border even they hold temp

49 minutes ago, VLong said:

I thought familly of PR or Citizen still can pass border even they hold temp

Can a 491 visa holder travel at the moment as it’s not a temporary visa it’s classed as with provisions, I think the answer is no, but just double checking. 

1 hour ago, kimboslice said:

Can a 491 visa holder travel at the moment as it’s not a temporary visa it’s classed as with provisions, I think the answer is no, but just double checking. 

This was asked on another thread and an agent answered.   Although the 491 is a provisional visa, it's not permanent - therefore you can't travel. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I believe a spouse can, family in general can’t

Australia’s borders are closed. Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers#:~:text=Only Australian citizens%2C residents and,travel restrictions may also apply.

In this situation,  i think immediate familly who is in same familly unit (father , mother , bro , sis but not person who in law )

2 minutes ago, VLong said:

Australia’s borders are closed. Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers#:~:text=Only Australian citizens%2C residents and,travel restrictions may also apply.

In this situation,  i think immediate familly who is in same familly unit (father , mother , bro , sis but not person who in law )

I really don’t know for sure but I’d have thought immediate as in spouse and children. The mother or father would already a citizen/PR so it would be their  spouse and their immediate family as in their children.  I don’t think it’s family from other households. For example, if you had citizenship/PR your partner and your children would be your immediate family. Your parents and your siblings are not. That would be my take on it but I don’t know for sure. 

This is taken from the Home Affairs website:-

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia

You are only considered to be an immediate family member if you are:

• a spouse
  • a de facto partner
  • a dependent child/ren
  • a legal guardian.

All travellers arriving in Australia must undertake a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities (for example, a hotel), in their port of arrival.

You may need to provide information to the Department before travelling to Australia.

Edited by Yorkie
  • Like 1