Guest guest36187

6 minutes ago, ramot said:

It was reported on the news today, that possibly immigration will be on hold until the borders are re opened, talk of 6 months? and apparently the Labour Party want immigration halted, to keep jobs for Australians. 

I was listening to Kristina Keaneally and Labor has called for Australia's immigration program to be overhauled and curtailed in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic saying Australian workers must "get a fair go and a first go at jobs", in comments that form common ground with some Coalition MPs.

Home affairs spokeswoman Kristina Keneally, who is part of Labor's core leadership group said the country had an unprecedented chance to shift the immigration program away from the "lazy" approach used by governments of all persuasions to boost the economy at the expense of local workers and community concerns.

18 hours ago, muz068 said:

Hey, I thought you said in your previous post that 143 application lodged after 1 June 2018 will be queued. 

Please correct my understanding if I am wrong

Sorry - you've lost me.

There's no inconsistency in my observation.

Can I suggest that you might re-read the relevant comments?

Best regards.

5 hours ago, Toots said:

I was listening to Kristina Keaneally and Labor has called for Australia's immigration program to be overhauled and curtailed in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic saying Australian workers must "get a fair go and a first go at jobs", in comments that form common ground with some Coalition MPs.

Home affairs spokeswoman Kristina Keneally, who is part of Labor's core leadership group said the country had an unprecedented chance to shift the immigration program away from the "lazy" approach used by governments of all persuasions to boost the economy at the expense of local workers and community concerns.

I think Kristina Keneally, is oversimplifying the relationship between immigration and the economy. Drastically reducing immigration numbers will not automatically generate employment for Australians. It will do the opposite.

Mass building booms in Sydney and Melbourne have been fuelled by mass immigration.

How do you prevent an ‘Ireland 2008’ style property crash happening in Australia 2021? What will a 50% devaluation of property feel like to ordinary people?

Also, now would be a good time for many Australian politicians to remove their heads from the sand and face the elephant in the room, which is the largest private debt bubble on the planet.

The virus is not the cause of this bubble, just the pin.

The RBA is running out of ammunition to keep pumping air in, with interest rates at near zero and printing A$90 billion (Which bails out the banks not citizens).

It’s also worth drawing a direct correlation between Australia having (until now) an unparalleled recession proof economy and a 41% growth in population since 1991. Australia’s heavy reliance on immigration to float the economy and fund government budgets is nothing short of a giant immigration Ponzi scheme.

You would need to be a brave (or foolish) politician to slam the brakes on immigration now.

• Like 1

Waiting for so long does not make any sense.We lodged visa application in feb 2016 still waiting a decision after aos approval,corona virus came and now suddenly no one knows when they will process applications again,someone should ask them,it is not fair to me and it is not fair to everyone who have lodged visa 143 with significant high costs,they dont even answer ,they should atleast  grant visas and let the people wait offshore until borders open or get them tested for covid and bring them over who are at final stages of processing and have already submitted all the required documents.It just doesnt make any sense,australian immigration is not transparent like canada

Edited by nitz

6 hours ago, ramot said:

It was reported on the news today, that possibly immigration will be on hold until the borders are re opened, talk of 6 months? and apparently the Labour Party want immigration halted, to keep jobs for Australians. 

Hi

where did you hear that they are going to take 6 months to open the borders 

8 minutes ago, nitz said:

Waiting for so long does not make any sense.We lodged visa application in feb 2016 still waiting a decision after aos approval,corona virus came and now suddenly no one knows when they will process applications again,someone should ask them,it is not fair to me and it is not fair to everyone who have lodged visa 143 with significant high costs,they dont even answer ,they should atleast  grant visas and let the people wait offshore until borders open or get them tested for covid and bring them over who are at final stages of processing and have already submitted all the required documents.It just doesnt make any sense,australian immigration is not transparent like canada

It makes perfect sense to me.  They have very low numbers infected with the virus and they don’t want to dish out a load of visas to people who can then travel over and make it worse for them. They are still processing applications, just stopping short of granting the visas until they want foreigners to start turning up. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

Hi

As per my post it was mentioned as a possibility On the news today, but it’s all theoretical until the Coronavirus  situation is clearer. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

I think Kristina Keneally, is oversimplifying the relationship between immigration and the economy. Drastically reducing immigration numbers will not automatically generate employment for Australians....

You would need to be a brave (or foolish) politician to slam the brakes on immigration now.

I don't agree.   Sadly, these days, politicians base their decisions on popular opinion, not what's best for the country. 

If there is high unemployment, Australians will become even more anti-immigration than they are already.  You've seen how it worked in the UK - one of the big drivers for Brexit was the popular belief that Europeans were "taking our jobs".  The same will happen in Australia, whether it's good for the country or not, and the government of the day won't dare go against it, for fear of losing power. 

20 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

When it was first announced in mid-March, we were told the borders would be closed for at least 6 months and probably longer.    That warning has been repeated by both the Treasurer and the Prime Minister several times at press conferences. We're now being told that opening international borders is the very last restriction that will be lifted.  

Citizens and permanent residents can still arrive, but cannot leave unless they qualify for an exemption.  Foreigners currently in Australia can leave but cannot return.   It's possible Australia may open its border with New Zealand earlier.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nitz said:

The harsh truth is that the current government wanted to abolish parent visas but weren't able to get it through parliament.  They've been "going slow" with applications instead, and the virus has given them the perfect excuse to go even slower.  They don't care whether you think it's fair or not.

26 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It makes perfect sense to me.  They have very low numbers infected with the virus and they don’t want to dish out a load of visas to people who can then travel over and make it worse for them. They are still processing applications, just stopping short of granting the visas until they want foreigners to start turning up. 

It’s even worse when you have paid second vac and visas are not issued . Not far short of sharp practice !!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The harsh truth is that the current government wanted to abolish parent visas but weren't able to get it through parliament.  They've been "going slow" with applications instead, and the virus has given them the perfect excuse to go even slower.  They don't care whether you think it's fair or not.

I thought it was the non contributory 804 parent visa they stopped then reintroduced after failing to get it through Parliament? 

The only thing I remember clearly from the Productivity  review was the cost of contributory visas should be greatly increased. 

If they wanted to stop parents visas they should have stopped them earlier or been honest with applicants about the prolonged wait times 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

It’s even worse when you have paid second vac and visas are not issued . Not far short of sharp practice !!!

Very frustrating I’m sure but understandable in these very unusual times. You know it’s coming, you just have to be patient. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I thought it was the non contributory 804 parent visa they stopped then reintroduced after failing to get it through Parliament? 

The only thing I remember clearly from the Productivity  review was the cost of contributory visas should be greatly increased. 

If they wanted to stop parents visas they should have stopped them earlier or been honest with applicants about the prolonged wait times 

Spot  on Linda, that’s what i mean by being transparent ,anyone in que should have a clear picture 

5 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

I don’t think that any visas are probably being issued at present, with Perhaps the exception of onshore visas? as Australia has closed its borders to anyone apart from returning Australians, and everyone has to go into isolation for14 days in organised hotels. You can’t even get into Qld unless you are a resident and have to apply for a permit, as the border with NSW is closed, and you have to self isolate for 14 days, and mostly Queenslanders are cooperating. 

So until restrictions are lifted and international air travel restarts, new visas are probably on hold. It might seem unfair, especially when you have paid the 2nd instalment, but hopefully you will be at the head of the queue when or if visas start to be issued again.

33 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't agree.   Sadly, these days, politicians base their decisions on popular opinion, not what's best for the country. 

If there is high unemployment, Australians will become even more anti-immigration than they are already.  You've seen how it worked in the UK - one of the big drivers for Brexit was the popular belief that Europeans were "taking our jobs".  The same will happen in Australia, whether it's good for the country or not, and the government of the day won't dare go against it, for fear of losing power. 

Yeah halting immigraion does not make More jobs available to the citizens lol,it rather dimishes the economy,imagine how much money they are getting from contributory parent visas only

2 minutes ago, nitz said:

Yeah halting immigraion does not make More jobs available to the citizens lol,it rather dimishes the economy,imagine how much money they are getting from contributory parent visas only

Sorry we will all cost the government more in the long term, than the cost of the visa, as we are all elderly and will have health issues, and health isn’t cheap in Australia. Both my husband and I were pretty fit when we got our visas last year,  but have had unexpected health problems since, so already cost the country a fair bit. Not every parent comes with plenty of money, a larger proportion come from Asia,.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nitz said:

We've had this conversation many times.  Parents on the contributory visa cost the taxpayer far more in medical costs and aged care than the fees they pay.      Like @ramot, I'm becoming very aware of how much I benefit from Medicare now we're in our late 60's - we're still (touch wood) pretty fit, but already lots of niggling things going wrong with aging bodies.   When you see the actual cost of the treatments and medications vs what you actually pay, you understand how the bill to the taxpayer mounts up over the last twenty or thirty years of a person's life. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You may be right… although I’m not sure if the magnitude of the economic collapse has been fully understood by many people yet. Most still expect lock-down to end soon and life will simply return to normal.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

You may be right… although I’m not sure if the magnitude of the economic collapse has been fully understood by many people yet. Most still expect lock-down to end soon and life will simply return to normal.

Are you in the UK or Australia?   There's a lot of worry here.  Australians, especially the millenials, are very into running their own business rather than working for corporations.   In the big cities, especially, there are thousands of tiny cafés, beauty salons, massage therapists, yoga studios etc., most of which operated on a shoestring even before lockdown.  Also, the "gig economy" is massive here, and that's what has been hardest hit. 

Edited by Marisawright