Guest guest36187

53 minutes ago, gafuk said:

I have met a few couples who have come over on holiday visa's and applied onshore for the aged parent visa and just keep renewing their bridging visa's. They seem to just keep doing that and have the luxuries (as above) but not the $100,000 + outlay.

Are we mugs for coming over on 143 ?

You can't renew a bridging visa.  They got a bridging visa ("BVA") when they applied for the aged parent visa, and it stays valid until they get the permanent visa (or, more likely, until they die - since the aged parent visa has such a long waiting time).

What they must do is apply for a separate bridging visa ("BVB") every time they want to leave Australia, e.g. to go on holiday. 

There are pros and cons to it.  Legally you're always a temporary visitor, even though you're living in Australia. That means you can't work, and have to get special permission if you want to buy a home. Brits are lucky because they are covered by Medicare for essential treatment, but they're not entitled to any benefits (which may not sound like an issue, but what about aged care?).   

The big risk is that if they are still alive when they get to the head of the queue, they'll have to pass a medical.   If they fail the medical, they have to go back to the UK - where they won't be entitled to treatment under the NHS because they've been away too long, ditto benefits.  Also, of course, they don't have a home in the UK and will have to start from scratch again, not an easy thing if you're in your 70's or 80's.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@gafuk good to hear you are doing fine! Maybe the 143 was more attractive when it was only up to 2-3yrs wait but now it may stretch to 5-6-7yrs for some it’s a kick in the teeth when your getting older and paying a large amount.  I’m still glad I’ve gone for it though as not having PR when you are older is a bit of an uneasy feeling for me.  Who knows, if in a few years time, you may get sent home because you have become a burden to Oz financially through serious illnesses etc.,  who could cope with that scenario when you have built a life here. 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi does anyone know of a Bank Account I can open before I get my visa granted?  (Preferably a savings account)

We opened one with Westpac.  It was no problem at all.  We went into their branch in London but you can probably do it on line too.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

We opened one with Westpac.  It was no problem at all.  We went into their branch in London but you can probably do it on line too.

That's interesting - did you have to have an Australian address in order to open one?  My son needs an Aussie bank account but he lives in London.

7 minutes ago, Quoll said:

That's interesting - did you have to have an Australian address in order to open one?  My son needs an Aussie bank account but he lives in London.

No - we just told them that we had applied for the 143.  At the time we thought it would only take a year from opening the account before we got here - in the end it was over 3, but there was no problem.

Things are getting tougher.  Just heard from ABC and 7news that Australians are told (advised) not to go oversea and the ones who are oversea arranged to get home.  I don't know how much impact would be on us who are waiting or have to make a travel out and in or to enter Australia to get visa validation. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

Yes I did it online and just went into Westpac Australia on my next holiday with ID 

• Like 1

Just now, AlwaysVet said:

Things are getting tougher.  Just heard from ABC and 7news that Australians are told (advised) not to go oversea and the ones who are oversea arranged to get home.  I don't know how much impact would be on us who are waiting or have to make a travel out and in or to enter Australia to get visa validation. 

This is my concern. Awaiting 2nd vac request. Im onshore so more of a problem than being offshore. I obviously want to stay in Oz for now. At least offshore you get 1yr to activate whereas I will have the 28 day condition. When I receive 2nd vac request will email them. Although wondering if they will slow down issuing it because of the ongoing situation. 

2 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

This is my concern. Awaiting 2nd vac request. Im onshore so more of a problem than being offshore. I obviously want to stay in Oz for now. At least offshore you get 1yr to activate whereas I will have the 28 day condition. When I receive 2nd vac request will email them. Although wondering if they will slow down issuing it because of the ongoing situation. 

I hope that they decide to allow 1 year for you in such situations that we should not travel.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

I share your concern Kathss56 as we have just had ourAOS accepted. We are currently here on a 870 3 year visa whilst waiting for our 143. Not sure whether this will make a difference. 
Our 143 was lodged on 16/3/2016.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Thanks, good to know! Did you have to wait until you'd been in branch in order for anything to be put in the account?

Can’t remember it was 4yrs who. But I was due in Oz on hols a few weeks after guess you will have to ring them and ask 

8 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

Is this karma?

I don’t actually wish Coronavirus on anyone. If you had been involved in family applying for immigration for as long as we have you would know that there have been far worse immigration ministers who killed of the hopes of thousands of potential immigrants with his retrospective after retrospective cruel changes to the rules.

We are in Australia on a Visitors Visa600 and are flying in and out every three months whilst awaiting our Parental Visa 143 (Due this year).

With all flights cancelled can we reapply for a Visa 600 long stay (12 months) without affecting our Visa 143 application.?

8 minutes ago, Sakkie said:

We are in Australia on a Visitors Visa600 and are flying in and out every three months whilst awaiting our Parental Visa 143 (Due this year).

With all flights cancelled can we reapply for a Visa 600 long stay (12 months) without affecting our Visa 143 application.?

Yes you can as I am here on a 600 awaiting 143. 
 Do you mean you are here on a e651?  If you apply for a 600 family tourist visa this will then just cancel out the e651

N

2 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Yes you can as I am here on a 600 awaiting 143. 
 Do you mean you are here on a e651?  If you apply for a 600 family tourist visa this will then just cancel out the e651

No, we are here on a Visitor (subclass 600) and in Melbourne at the moment, we can only stay 3months at a time, now we can't fly out and would like to reapply for a long stay, will this affect our 143 application.

9 minutes ago, Sakkie said:

N

No, we are here on a Visitor (subclass 600) and in Melbourne at the moment, we can only stay 3months at a time, now we can't fly out and would like to reapply for a long stay, will this affect our 143 application.

No it doesn’t affect your 143 application