Guest guest36187

10 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I’m not sure if it’s a credit card or just a debit card (savings) you need, but we discovered Transferwise a few years ago. I would highly recommend their debit card linked to virtual bank accounts. Especially good for converting currency with a super easy to use app on your phone and you can have your income paid in from any country.

Yes I have a debit card. I found that in order to be able to hire a car when travelling they will only accept a credit card, so this is the reason I wanted one.  Also you get extra protection when buying stuff online and booking airline tickets etc.

20 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

Has anyone had a problem in applying for a credit card once you are in Australia?  We have been banking with Westpac for over 4 years and have just tried to get a credit card with them.  We were so used to using our credit card for monthly shopping in the UK, paying the balance off each month and would have liked to continue that way now that we are here in Australia.  We were very disappointed that Westpac didn’t even want to know what our income from our UK pensions was (I have a very good state pension and hubby has state pension plus military pension plus work based pension, all very good).  The reply we got was that we needed to have an Australian taxable income.  We confirmed with them that we are registered for tax in Australia and that all our UK pensions were liable to Australian tax.  Their reply “I have double checked this with our credit team today and they have confirmed that we cannot accept only UK Pensions as a sole income to support a credit card application. Our current policy will not allow it. We would need you to be drawing a Australian pension as well for the UK pensions to be able to be used.”  We will try other financial establishments but did just wonder if anyone else has come up against this problem.  We are fully retired so won’t be able to get an Australian work based pension and won’t be eligible for an Australian state pension for another 9 years and even then because of our income from UK pensions and assets this will probably be close to zero.

We joined NAB in 2015 but also were unable to get a credit card for the same reasons as yourself. There maybe on line credit cards available?? but we didn’t bother in the end and just use our debit card now 😀

Geoff & Gill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

The card was in my husband's name.  Apparently you have to have a taxable Australian income to be eligible to apply.  I have found one card, Virgin which will consider overseas pensions, but have read some bad reviews.

Once you have permanent residency and are living in Australia UK pension income IS taxable income in Australia.

Indeed, IMHO it is a more secure and regular source of income that that of a salaried employee.

The banks are most bewildering organisations ...

Best regards.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2020 at 00:38, Rosiejaq said:

Hi you don’t have to be a citizen to be a sponsor, PR is good enough, but I think you should’ve been in Australia for at least 2years?  Balance of family required us to state who family members were, and where they lived.  I think you have to give some proof of who you are, birth certs, marriage/divorce certs etc but I don’t know the Indian system so can’t help you there.  Maybe ask on an Indian Oz visa site?  Good luck 😎

Thanks a lot. I am providing all details possible but have nothing which records all family members on the one document. Appreciate you trying to help though.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2020 at 01:40, sh aron said:

I had same issue then I send them ration card copy translated in English not a big issue and ur passport and citizenship certificate is proof of ur Australian residency.

Thanks very much for the response. Unfortunatey dont have ration card at this point in time. Unable to apply for a new ration card from Australia. Any other options? I can only think of a stat dec from myself, mum and dad to this effect?

4 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Once you have permanent residency and are living in Australia UK pension income IS taxable income in Australia.

Indeed, IMHO it is a more secure and regular source of income that that of a salaried employee.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, exactly, I agree.

6 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

Totally agree Alan.  Guess it's a good job we don't need a mortgage or a loan, I assume the same criteria would apply!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dj cat 5 said:

Thanks very much for the response. Unfortunatey dont have ration card at this point in time. Unable to apply for a new ration card from Australia. Any other options? I can only think of a stat dec from myself, mum and dad to this effect?

But they will ask u why u can’t get ration card made ?

On 13/02/2020 at 10:46, Pertenhall said:

Has anyone had a problem in applying for a credit card once you are in Australia?  We have been banking with Westpac for over 4 years and have just tried to get a credit card with them.  We were so used to using our credit card for monthly shopping in the UK, paying the balance off each month and would have liked to continue that way now that we are here in Australia.  We were very disappointed that Westpac didn’t even want to know what our income from our UK pensions was (I have a very good state pension and hubby has state pension plus military pension plus work based pension, all very good).  The reply we got was that we needed to have an Australian taxable income.  We confirmed with them that we are registered for tax in Australia and that all our UK pensions were liable to Australian tax.  Their reply “I have double checked this with our credit team today and they have confirmed that we cannot accept only UK Pensions as a sole income to support a credit card application. Our current policy will not allow it. We would need you to be drawing a Australian pension as well for the UK pensions to be able to be used.”  We will try other financial establishments but did just wonder if anyone else has come up against this problem.  We are fully retired so won’t be able to get an Australian work based pension and won’t be eligible for an Australian state pension for another 9 years and even then because of our income from UK pensions and assets this will probably be close to zero.

Have you tried American Express ?

Good evening

First can I ask what PIO stands for? There are a lot of abbreviations to get used to on this site. 

Secondly, I had a call with a Registered Migration Expert on Friday, but as one bit of information they have given me appears to be incorrect, I thought I would run a second one past you. 

My daughter has a de facto visa and is hoping to get her Permanent Resident visa this summer. I was under the impression that we had to wait to her to get her PR before she could sponsor me for the CPV 143, but I was advised that her partner could sponsor me, but I can't find anything that confirms that on the immi.homeaffairs.gov.au site. 

Does this sound right to you?

I am sorry if this is not the correct thread for this question. I started the weekend thinking the waiting time for CPV 143 was 2-3 years and I could just get the Visitor 600 visa and spend alternate three month periods in Oz and UK for those two years working remotely for a UK company. This was what I was advised. I have finished the weekend doubting that advice and learning that the wait time is now 6-8 years. 

Is there any light out there?

Thanks

Shell

PIO simply means Poms In Oz!!

i was under the impression your sponsor for 143 had to be an eligible child - unless the child was under 18. The Assurance of Support sponsor towards the end of visa processing  could be your daughters partner but I don’t think so for the main 143 but I’m sure others on the forum  will either confirm or deny  that. 

I’m assuming you meet the Balance of Family  test as well?  

Yes you are correct that people applying for 143 visa now face a wait of 8-9 years. With over 52000 in the queue at end of June 2019 and rising and less than 6000 being granted every year it’s simply maths to work it out! 

People need to have realistic expectations.

Also on 600 visa you are not allowed to work. A 600 visa for a 143  applicant could be granted for three years but with a condition of only 12 months stay in any  18 months and will carry the condition of No Work

Edited by LindaH27

43 minutes ago, NYNL20 said:

Good evening

First can I ask what PIO stands for? There are a lot of abbreviations to get used to on this site. 

Secondly, I had a call with a Registered Migration Expert on Friday, but as one bit of information they have given me appears to be incorrect, I thought I would run a second one past you. 

My daughter has a de facto visa and is hoping to get her Permanent Resident visa this summer. I was under the impression that we had to wait to her to get her PR before she could sponsor me for the CPV 143, but I was advised that her partner could sponsor me, but I can't find anything that confirms that on the immi.homeaffairs.gov.au site. 

Does this sound right to you?

I am sorry if this is not the correct thread for this question. I started the weekend thinking the waiting time for CPV 143 was 2-3 years and I could just get the Visitor 600 visa and spend alternate three month periods in Oz and UK for those two years working remotely for a UK company. This was what I was advised. I have finished the weekend doubting that advice and learning that the wait time is now 6-8 years. 

Is there any light out there?

Thanks

Shell

I think your daughter has to be PR and settled in Aus for 2 years. Not sure if that 2 years can be on a temp/provisional visa or has to be PR. Your daughter has to sponsor you but your SIL can be your assurer. Pretty sure this is correct but others may know better. 
If you haven’t already signed up with your agent I would recommend speaking with @Alan Collett  as he is all across this and provides lots of help here on the forum.

No idea about working/not working, sorry.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I think your daughter has to be PR and settled in Aus for 2 years. Not sure if that 2 years can be on a temp/provisional visa or has to be PR. Your daughter has to sponsor you but your SIL can be your assurer. Pretty sure this is correct but others may know better. 
If you haven’t already signed up with your agent I would recommend speaking with @Alan Collett  as he is all across this and provides lots of help here on the forum.

No idea about working/not working, sorry.

Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Shell

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

PIO simply means Poms In Oz!!

i was under the impression your sponsor for 143 had to be an eligible child - unless the child was under 18. The Assurance of Support sponsor towards the end of visa processing  could be your daughters partner but I don’t think so for the main 143 but I’m sure others on the forum  will either confirm or deny  that. 

I’m assuming you meet the Balance of Family  test as well?  

Yes you are correct that people applying for 143 visa now face a wait of 8-9 years. With over 52000 in the queue at end of June 2019 and rising and less than 6000 being granted every year it’s simply maths to work it out! 

People need to have realistic expectations.

Also on 600 visa you are not allowed to work. A 600 visa for a 143  applicant could be granted for three years but with a condition of only 12 months stay in any  18 months and will carry the condition of No Work

Hi everyone

This is my first post on this forum.

I applied for my parents 143 visa in December 2018.

At that time, the auto-responding email said there was a wait time of 48 months.

This website now says the wait time is now 51 months, so it appears the wait time has been fairly consistent at about 4 years:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

However, you mention a wait of about 8 or 9 years. I wonder how this reconciles with the 4 years processing time as mentioned above?

I know you have calculated the 8 years based on 52000/6000=8.7 years.

But then is the information on immi incorrect? 

Thank you all.

3 minutes ago, apparition232 said:

Hi everyone

This is my first post on this forum.

I applied for my parents 143 visa in December 2018.

At that time, the auto-responding email said there was a wait time of 48 months.

This website now says the wait time is now 51 months, so it appears the wait time has been fairly consistent at about 4 years:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

However, you mention a wait of about 8 or 9 years. I wonder how this reconciles with the 4 years processing time as mentioned above?

I know you have calculated the 8 years based on 52000/6000=8.7 years.

But then is the information on immi incorrect? 

Thank you all.

The time quoted  on immi processing website is for the applications they are actually processing now ie early 2016

The length of the queue and the actual amount they grant annually now dictates the length of the wait. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

The time quoted  on immi processing website is for the applications they are actually processing now ie early 2016

The length of the queue and the actual amount they grant annually now dictates the length of the wait. 

Thank you. And I do agree that your logic makes sense (unless a significant number of applications are denied, in which case they can process the 50000 in the queue more quickly than 8 or 9 years, say in 51 months? Do you know what % of the applications are rejected?)

Quoting from the immi website: "based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 51 months to be released for final processing."

It clearly says "new contribution visa applications, on current planning levels = 51 months"

If 8 or 9 years is indeed more accurate, then what immi website is saying is an outright lie! What are your thoughts?

35 minutes ago, apparition232 said:

Thank you. And I do agree that your logic makes sense (unless a significant number of applications are denied, in which case they can process the 50000 in the queue more quickly than 8 or 9 years, say in 51 months? Do you know what % of the applications are rejected?)

Quoting from the immi website: "based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 51 months to be released for final processing."

It clearly says "new contribution visa applications, on current planning levels = 51 months"

If 8 or 9 years is indeed more accurate, then what immi website is saying is an outright lie! What are your thoughts?

It is not accurate! When I applied in Mar 16 it was 12-18mths processing.  The following year it was 18-24 then 24-36 then 36-41 and so on, it just increased every year. My application is being looked at now, so yes it maybe through in 51mths if I’m lucky 

they have speeded up slightly as prioritising offshore visas, but once they reach parity with the onshore ones that are already done up to 2017 applicants, it will go much slower again unfortunately.  AoS submitted today, estimate completion is 6 weeks and we ALL know that usually doubles! 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, an outright lie!

The time quoted on Immi has been contentious since about 2016 as we applied in August 2015 being told 18-24 months and even our agent thought this would be about right, but there was a massive increase in applications and we eventually received our 143 after 52 months! So if you want to believe the site you can but I really don't think it will be 51 months as quoted.  We originally made plans for 18-24 months but had to completely rethink our lifeplan as a result of the extended wait....if we'd have known differently I think we would have got through the wait with much less stress. Good luck 😎

• Like 3

VAC2 Payment request received today. VAC2 Payment done today. 143 GRANT Letter received today. 😀😀 48 Months of Long Waiting is over today.

Thanks to all on this Forum for contributing very valuable information related to cpv 143 which really helped us to do it ourselves. 

• Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 12

Thank you everyone for the replies..

14 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

@apparition232 you could always look at the new temporary parent visa 870, which will give you up to 10yrs in Oz whilst waiting for your 143. But lots of rules and may not suit a lot of parents. 

Thank you for this.

Wow... I had my parent on a 3 year 600 visa... Looks like the 3 or 5 years on 600 is no longer available after the launch of the 870 visa!

Looks like I will be needing a 5 year 870 visa, after the 600 expires, before 143 comes through.. if the parent is alive then..

This is very depressing..

Thank you for your support..

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, apparition232 said:

As many others have also confirmed my original statement,  yes  the wait time is a lot more than stated on immi website!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apparition232 said:

Thank you everyone for the replies..

Thank you for this.

Wow... I had my parent on a 3 year 600 visa... Looks like the 3 or 5 years on 600 is no longer available after the launch of the 870 visa!

Looks like I will be needing a 5 year 870 visa, after the 600 expires, before 143 comes through.. if the parent is alive then..

This is very depressing..

Thank you for your support..

The 600 visa will still be available. They have changed the “replaces 600 visa”  wording since