Guest guest36187

19 minutes ago, Christa said:

Visa granted today - we're over the moon!! The long wait is over. Arriving in Oz on 29/2!

Thanks everyone for all your help and support.

Congratulations Christa,are you heading to sydney?I hope my aos gets approved soon ,hope to see you soon there

• Thanks 1

Hello folks, great to see such a supportive community. 

Have a few questions if someone could kindly help in relation to contributory 143 visa that I am applying for my parents.

1. Do you have to prove that the sponsor is a settled Australian citizen? I as the sponsor arrived in Australia in 2008, got my PR in 2012 and citizenship in 2016. I have hardly travelled overseas and have lived in Australia since. Planning to supply my Aussie passport and citizenship, would that suffice or should I attach anything else? I have been living at the same address for last 3 years.

2. I am the only child - How do you satisfy Balance of Family test? I dont have birth certificate ( we did not have one in India back when I was born), nor any family book. All I have is my ( former Indian passport) which has my parent details and a current Overseas Citizen of India (a lifelong visa of sorts for Indians who have settled overseas as India does not allow dual citizenship) card which also has my parents details. Details in each of the above docs matches my parents passport details. Have filled up form 47 PA with only my details under child details for applicant and partner. How else can I prove that I am the only child - stat dec from me, mum and dad perhaps? Or do I even have to if I just fill in the form with facts as they are?

Thanks so much,

DJ 

3 separate days, 3 attempts by my daughter to do AoS online, their site keeps crashing, am loathe to do paper application! 
very irritating! Will give it until end of this week to see what happens.  She is going into work extra early tomorrow to have another go!! 🤬

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

3 separate days, 3 attempts by my daughter to do AoS online, their site keeps crashing, am loathe to do paper application! 
very irritating! Will give it until end of this week to see what happens.  She is going into work extra early tomorrow to have another go!! 🤬

Very frustrating, I know the site can be flakey but it may be worth trying a different browser. Some of those can also cause problems.  Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

I feel for you I really do!  Our daughter had the same probs a year ago, even talked it through with them on the phone and they could see no reason why it wasn’t happening...in the end she had to do a paper application.  If you do eventually go down this route make sure you get confirmation references for later use as you may need them.  All the best and good luck 😎😎. Ps don’t know why I’m putting sunnies up when it’s been torrential rain here on the mid north coast all evening...and now into the small hours 😩

• Like 2

Oh Kath not you as well! It seems pot luck - some  people have problems others go through ok. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dj cat 5 said:

Have a few questions if someone could kindly help in relation to contributory 143 visa that I am applying for my parents.

1. Do you have to prove that the sponsor is a settled Australian citizen? I as the sponsor arrived in Australia in 2008, got my PR in 2012 and citizenship in 2016. I have hardly travelled overseas and have lived in Australia since. Planning to supply my Aussie passport and citizenship, would that suffice or should I attach anything else? I have been living at the same address for last 3 years.

2. I am the only child - How do you satisfy Balance of Family test? I dont have birth certificate ( we did not have one in India back when I was born), nor any family book. All I have is my ( former Indian passport) which has my parent details and a current Overseas Citizen of India (a lifelong visa of sorts for Indians who have settled overseas as India does not allow dual citizenship) card which also has my parents details. Details in each of the above docs matches my parents passport details. Have filled up form 47 PA with only my details under child details for applicant and partner. How else can I prove that I am the only child - stat dec from me, mum and dad perhaps? Or do I even have to if I just fill in the form with facts as they are?

Thanks so much,

DJ 

Any input would kindly be appreciated. Look forward to a response.

Thanks

We seem to be on the same timeframe and destination. My daughter also tried 3 times to do the AOS online and the site would not let her complete yesterday . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dj cat 5 said:

Thanks so much,

DJ 

Hi you don’t have to be a citizen to be a sponsor, PR is good enough, but I think you should’ve been in Australia for at least 2years?  Balance of family required us to state who family members were, and where they lived.  I think you have to give some proof of who you are, birth certs, marriage/divorce certs etc but I don’t know the Indian system so can’t help you there.  Maybe ask on an Indian Oz visa site?  Good luck 😎

10 hours ago, dj cat 5 said:

Thanks so much,

DJ 

I had same issue then I send them ration card copy translated in English not a big issue and ur passport and citizenship certificate is proof of ur Australian residency.

Has anyone had a problem in applying for a credit card once you are in Australia?  We have been banking with Westpac for over 4 years and have just tried to get a credit card with them.  We were so used to using our credit card for monthly shopping in the UK, paying the balance off each month and would have liked to continue that way now that we are here in Australia.  We were very disappointed that Westpac didn’t even want to know what our income from our UK pensions was (I have a very good state pension and hubby has state pension plus military pension plus work based pension, all very good).  The reply we got was that we needed to have an Australian taxable income.  We confirmed with them that we are registered for tax in Australia and that all our UK pensions were liable to Australian tax.  Their reply “I have double checked this with our credit team today and they have confirmed that we cannot accept only UK Pensions as a sole income to support a credit card application. Our current policy will not allow it. We would need you to be drawing a Australian pension as well for the UK pensions to be able to be used.”  We will try other financial establishments but did just wonder if anyone else has come up against this problem.  We are fully retired so won’t be able to get an Australian work based pension and won’t be eligible for an Australian state pension for another 9 years and even then because of our income from UK pensions and assets this will probably be close to zero.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

We seem to be on the same timeframe and destination. My daughter also tried 3 times to do the AOS online and the site would not let her complete yesterday . 

Thinking of printing form out, filling it in, then I try to fill in online and submit throughout the day for her. She has no holidays left to take time of work to into a centre.  Going into early to work to do today didn’t happen for her as my a grandson had her up 3 times in the night! 🙄 Wonder if over the weekends site might be less busy and working 😡

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

Thinking of printing form out, filling it in, then I try to fill in online and submit throughout the day for her. She has no holidays left to take time of work to into a centre.  Going into early to work to do today didn’t happen for her as my a grandson had her up 3 times in the night! 🙄 Wonder if over the weekends site might be less busy and working 😡

Have you checked if there is any adblock program enabled? Also try clearing browser cookies, go into incognito mode or a different browser.

• Thanks 1

Finally allowed her to do AoS online. Site was just working normally, so no private mode or anything needed  Now she has to go to Centrelink office for ID check, only problem is she is fully booked up at work until 21 Feb!

Be glad when this horrible stage is completed! 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

Has anyone had a problem in applying for a credit card once you are in Australia?  We have been banking with Westpac for over 4 years and have just tried to get a credit card with them.  We were so used to using our credit card for monthly shopping in the UK, paying the balance off each month and would have liked to continue that way now that we are here in Australia.  We were very disappointed that Westpac didn’t even want to know what our income from our UK pensions was (I have a very good state pension and hubby has state pension plus military pension plus work based pension, all very good).  The reply we got was that we needed to have an Australian taxable income.  We confirmed with them that we are registered for tax in Australia and that all our UK pensions were liable to Australian tax.  Their reply “I have double checked this with our credit team today and they have confirmed that we cannot accept only UK Pensions as a sole income to support a credit card application. Our current policy will not allow it. We would need you to be drawing a Australian pension as well for the UK pensions to be able to be used.”  We will try other financial establishments but did just wonder if anyone else has come up against this problem.  We are fully retired so won’t be able to get an Australian work based pension and won’t be eligible for an Australian state pension for another 9 years and even then because of our income from UK pensions and assets this will probably be close to zero.

Yes, I have had the same problem with NAB bank.  I don't understand it as we had a card which my husband applied for 5 years ago with only UK pension income.  My husband recently passed away and I applied for a card in my name, and even though I have roughly the same income, including an Australian super, I was told they could not consider my UK income, even though I was able to provide UK bank statements and proof of transferring monthly to my NAB bank account.

59 minutes ago, Bridgeman said:

Yes, I have had the same problem with NAB bank.  I don't understand it as we had a card which my husband applied for 5 years ago with only UK pension income.  My husband recently passed away and I applied for a card in my name, and even though I have roughly the same income, including an Australian super, I was told they could not consider my UK income, even though I was able to provide UK bank statements and proof of transferring monthly to my NAB bank account.

Would you have grounds for discrimination? Just a thought.

I find this very worrying, as all our retired income comes from UK. Did you have a card in your own name before your husband’s sad death? 

9 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

I’m not sure if it’s a credit card or just a debit card (savings) you need, but we discovered Transferwise a few years ago. I would highly recommend their debit card linked to virtual bank accounts. Especially good for converting currency with a super easy to use app on your phone and you can have your income paid in from any country.

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Would you have grounds for discrimination? Just a thought.

I find this very worrying, as all our retired income comes from UK. Did you have a card in your own name before your husband’s sad death? 

I should have added, that we already live in Australia and have an account with the Commonwealth bank, and cards in both names, so it has never crossed my mind that there might be a problem I Hope a long way away, retaining mine should my husband die?

9 hours ago, ramot said:

I should have added, that we already live in Australia and have an account with the Commonwealth bank, and cards in both names, so it has never crossed my mind that there might be a problem I Hope a long way away, retaining mine should my husband die?

The card was in my husband's name.  Apparently you have to have a taxable Australian income to be eligible to apply.  I have found one card, Virgin which will consider overseas pensions, but have read some bad reviews.