Guest guest36187

3 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Yes me too, this Centrelink thing of having to register in person is a real saga.  My daughter has no holiday due, so I don't know how we're going to get it done.  You'd think that it would be possible to create a CRN online, we do our police checks  etc online which is an identity check🤔

I know the queues are long, but she could try going in her lunch hour.  Alternatively, maybe she could ask her boss for a few hours off?  Centrelink offices open at 8.30 in the morning and if she's at the door on the dot, she might not take too long. 

2 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Centrelink are open 08:30 to 16:30. Monday to Friday.

Therefore, if your sponsor is working, it means taking time off work. Mine happens to have no holiday due, so is proving to be a pain.

I would say mention this to your sponsor before you're asked for your AoS to be lodged, could be years before, as once they have a CRN it will be easier further down the line. 

They can go into Centrelink in their own time, perhaps a booked day of leave etc.

Excellent idea, but it's worth noting that the process itself takes about half an hour.   It's only the queue that takes time.

I know Centrelink offices have a reputation of being horribly busy and having long queues, but it varies a lot from place to place.  I had to verify my identity and went to the Coburg Centrelink. 

The process is that you queue at the service desk and explain what you need.  They then allocate you a number and you sit down and wait till your number is called.

When I arrived at 2pm there was only one person in the queue in front of me.  I was allocated a number and then waited less than half an hour before my number was called.  All done and out the door in an hour total.

Edited by Marisawright

When I filled my Form80, I couldn't remember how many times and when I arrived and departed Australia. 

I have found that the information may be provided by Homeaffairs.gov.au on request. Just fill the form, sent it via email and not long when you will have your info back in your email box. 
Here is the form: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1359.pdf

Just in case anyone needs it.

• Like 2

Hi 

which question on the form 80 does it ask you to list all visits to Australia? It asks for other countries visited apart from Australia. Then further on which visa did you get to enter Australia??? Am I missing something? I’ve just finished completing mine but not as yet sent it off. 
thank you 

2 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

Hi 

which question on the form 80 does it ask you to list all visits to Australia? It asks for other countries visited apart from Australia. Then further on which visa did you get to enter Australia??? Am I missing something? I’ve just finished completing mine but not as yet sent it off. 
thank you 

Hi

Form 80 Part J, Q35....Asks for details of previous visas and you have to complete some info including arrival and departure dates.

Maj

@Alan Collett I recently read something about “accidental landlord” changes from April  this year. I can’t say I really understood it but got  the impression it might negatively affect people waiting in Australia for grant who still own or rent out their properties. Do you have a simpler explanation to help us all out? Thank you 🙏 n advance! 

There are

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

@Alan Collett I recently read something about “accidental landlord” changes from April  this year. I can’t say I really understood it but got  the impression it might negatively affect people waiting in Australia for grant who still own or rent out their properties. Do you have a simpler explanation to help us all out? Thank you 🙏 n advance! 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/accidental-landlords-forced-sell-april-tax-crunch/

There are changes to certain of the capital gains tax exemptions in the UK which will affect those selling a former main residence in the UK after the end of this tax year - it might have been this?

Best regards.

3 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you @Alan Collett ! Food for thought definitely - as I’m considering 870 due to long wait for 143 and wondering what people do with their property whilst in Australia but without PR 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/In-detail/Foreign-income-of-Australian-residents/Foreign-income-exemption-for-temporary-residents---introduction/

Remember that having a subclass 870 visa is likely to allow you to access the temporary tax resident exemptions in Australia.

Best regards.

19 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Once again thank you! Off to read that now. 

Don't forget things like inheritance tax too.   Given the thousands of pounds it could cost if you get it wrong, it would be well worth paying someone like Alan for a one-off consultation to examine your finances and explain how it will all impact you.  It's so complicated you can tie yourself in knots trying to work it out yourself!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Don't forget things like inheritance tax too.   Given the thousands of pounds it could cost if you get it wrong, it would be well worth paying someone like Alan for a one-off consultation to examine your finances and explain how it will all impact you.  It's so complicated you can tie yourself in knots trying to work it out yourself!

Thanks @Marisawright- yes if I decide to go ahead I will definitely seek advice from Alan. His posts on here have always been illuminating!! 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, theballies said:

Anyone who's had their visa granted recently - would you please let me know how much the second vac amount was?

TIA

ps. Just did AOS bond payment and submitted documents to Centrelink.

Hi we paid A$87200 for 2 people....A$43600 each.....good luck - hopefully won't be long! 😎

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Graham Bell said:

We received confirmation for the AOS has been approved on he 3/01/20,  does anyone know how long it will take till we get asked for the 2nd vac payment? And then how long the visa takes from there? Thanks 

Look at a few posts before yours. @kimboslice had aos accepted 8.1.2020, 2nd vac request 23.1.2020 and visa granted 28.1.2020. This may give you an idea.

On 27/01/2020 at 09:43, Alan Collett said:

There are

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/accidental-landlords-forced-sell-april-tax-crunch/

There are changes to certain of the capital gains tax exemptions in the UK which will affect those selling a former main residence in the UK after the end of this tax year - it might have been this?

Best regards.

Do you have a non-paywall source for information on this?