Guest guest36187

5 minutes ago, NewBee2019 said:

We're traveling and hence may not be able to finish up on time. So, would you/anyone happen to know, in the worst case scenario that we are unable to submit returns on time, is previous year notice of assessment and recent payslips sufficient? 

I assume you have a tax agent as we are now past the deadline for submitting a tax return without an agent's involvement.

Liaise with your tax agent, who should be able to process the tax return and deliver it to you electronically for review and approval.

If you are employed the tax return should be pre-filled with your salary and PAYG details.

Just lodge your 2019 tax return - then your concerns will disappear!

Best regards.

13 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

I'm not clear - why can't you submit your 2019 tax return?

It is now over 4 months since the end of the 2018/19 tax year.

Best regards.

Sometimes dividends from related private companies will only be determined when finalising the tax returns for the whole group.  Depending on the complexity of the entities involved, returns for the individuals might be delayed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, florafilan said:

Sometimes dividends from related private companies will only be determined when finalising the tax returns for the whole group.  Depending on the complexity of the entities involved, returns for the individuals might be delayed. 

I think you are saying that dividends might be retrospectively determined and backdated to the financial year 2018/19.

IMHO a dividend that was declared in 2018/19 will have been appropriately minuted and the amount ascertained before the end of the tax year.

Best regards.

11 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

I think you are saying that dividends might be retrospectively determined and backdated to the financial year 2018/19.

IMHO a dividend that was declared in 2018/19 will have been appropriately minuted and the amount ascertained before the end of the tax year.

Best regards.

True for public companies.  When it comes to a private company especially a SBE, where directors are often also the shareholders and they only require special purpose financials etc etc, it's quit a common practice.  And also there are deemed dividends which can only be determined after year end.

Best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, florafilan said:

True for public companies.  When it comes to a private company especially a SBE, where directors are often also the shareholders and they only require special purpose financials etc etc, it's quit a common practice.  And also there are deemed dividends which can only be determined after year end.

Best.

Yes, I understand that - I'm a practising tax accountant.

Respectfully though - if the tax return and the ensuing tax assessment are key to achieving a visa outcome for one's relation/s (and they are) I would have thought a priority might be to conclude on dividends and to finalise your personal tax return relatively soon after the end of the tax year,.

If you are keeping tabs on the likely timeline for the AoS you would know for which year your tax assessment would be required, and hence when you might need to give your accountant a nudge to ensure things happen.

IMHO.

Best regards.

@Alan CollettTotally agree. A nudge usually works.  If it doesn't and everything required has been provided then it is time to change accountants.  But I believe you do appreciate that sometimes things are just out of control for either parties and there could be legitimate reasons for the delay.  Best way to go about it is just talk to the accountants.

Best.

2 hours ago, Biggsy said:

florafilan forgive me for asking but am I correct in assuming your investment is based in Australia?  Reason I ask is that I was told by a financial advisor (in Australia) that I couldn't unless I was a permanent resident!  Have I maybe missed something?

I'm based in Australia.  Applying CV 143 for my parents.  I am sure you can invest as a foreign investor.  There might be more red tapes to jump through though.  Try a different advisor or maybe an international broker that has Australian presence.

Edited by florafilan
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, theballies said:

Police clearance:

My parents have been in and out of Australia over the last 3 years on a holiday visa, never for longer than 12 months at a time, do they require an Australian police check.

Thanks in advance 😊 

Yes they will need police clearance if they have spent 12 months total in any one county in the last 10years. Like Linda said it’s accumulative.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biggsy said:

florafilan forgive me for asking but am I correct in assuming your investment is based in Australia?  Reason I ask is that I was told by a financial advisor (in Australia) that I couldn't unless I was a permanent resident!  Have I maybe missed something?

I thought that was how people got the old 405/410 visas - by investing in Australia?? They didn’t have permanent residency either? 

13 minutes ago, florafilan said:

I'm based in Australian.  Applying CV 143 for my parents.  I am sure you can invest as a foreign investor.  There might be more red tapes to jump through though.  Try a different advisor or maybe an international broker that has Australian presence.

Thanks florafilan, that makes perfect sense now, I didn't realise the visa was for your parents rather than for yourself.  I knew about about the foreign investor option but as you say lots of red tape and not really worth persuing now in view of the amount of time we have left to wait (I hope 🤔)

51 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I thought that was how people got the old 405/410 visas - by investing in Australia?? They didn’t have permanent residency either? 

To qualify for the old 410 retirement visa, all you had to do was to qualify, eg age and income and  apply . It cost very little, I can’t remember if we needed a medical, or other things? We didn’t need to invest anything in Australia. There were a few restrictions on house buying. It cost very little to renew, $300/400 ? and the renewal dates went from originally every 2 years to every 10 years.

It was stopped for new applicants in 2005.

We had however bought an investment flat several years before moving here or getting our visa. Not sure whether it’s as easy to buy as an overseas buyer now, but had nothing to do with needing to invest anything for the visa.

The 405 investment retirement visa had very different conditions. It was a very expensive visa. Depending on the area you had to lodge a large amount with the regional Government, either $500,000 or $750,000, a certain amount was refunded after the first 4 years, but the rest stayed till you left, or the alternative!! It was also dependent on a good income. It had to be renewed/re applied for every 4 years, with relevant checks done again, and cost I think over $20,000? Interest was paid on the amount lodged. These details are to the best of my knowledge.

Also now stopped.

So the 410 long term temporary retirement visa had absolutely no investment requirement and depending on your definition of investing the 405 investment temporary retirement visa had to lodge money with the regional government.

Edited by ramot

Our son is waiting for the AOS phone interview. He is concerned about when the call is likely to come through as he has a very busy work life and some times can’t answer his phone. Can someone who has received the call let me know the number so he can check his phone. I suspect there are many numbers they call from but it’s just another thought!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Bridgie

10 minutes ago, bridgie said:

Our son is waiting for the AOS phone interview. He is concerned about when the call is likely to come through as he has a very busy work life and some times can’t answer his phone. Can someone who has received the call let me know the number so he can check his phone. I suspect there are many numbers they call from but it’s just another thought!!!

Bridgie

Daughter in law received a text message to say she would be receiving a phone call but as she was in a meeting she missed both text and call but they phoned again later that evening. It was more than 2 months after they lodged the Aos application.

Edited by Jellybean T
Added extra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bridgie said:

Bridgie

It will most likely come from a private number.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NewBee2019 said:

@Han and @Alan Collett

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assurance-support/how-apply/documents-you-need-provide

This website, as recommended by @Kathss56 states the following. Does it mean that we can provide previous FY notice of assessment + 2 recent payslips, if we dont have one for 2018-19 yet? I am in the same situation and havent filed this year's yet and given the short timeframe for AoS lodgement I am afraid I wont have enough time to do it.

image.thumb.png.b505fc927f78fbb095c1eb7345dee1ae.png

Hi @NewBee2019 i spoke with the ATO and they said as long as your employer provides all info to the ATO, then the statement of income found on your MyGov login, should be enough info. But this is interesting

On 23/10/2019 at 10:15, kevvo said:

I want to make a suggestion here to all the people whom have gone through the Centrelink saga as it has to many variations 

can every on that is finished with Centrelink please post here what they have done start to finish from application to payment earlier post about setting up bank account to pay it great info  from my own experience I feel it’s a case of them making it up as we go along also if we had everyone’s input it helps so much because one little mistake with Centrelink can cost so much time backtracking with the application 

We are expecting mail to submit additional docs by end of Nov19. For AoS, Can anyone please tell us -

1. We have joint sponsors, my Son and Daughter. Do both are required to submit their Docs thro their own MyGov account separately or thro' any one MyGov account?

2. They will get Interview call both or any one ?

3. AoS Application Form SU594 they both are required to fill and send to Centrelink or only One sponsor?  Also, Application Form to send by online MyGov or printed one to take & submit in Centrelink?

4. Bank Guarantee can be issued by any one sponsor from CBA?  or it should be issued by joint account of both sponsors?

5. We have to submit Bank Guarantee letter scan copy online in MyGov?  or Original BG by hand delivery to Centrelink?

All confusing for me................. Plz help in advance............

I’m not sure you will hear by end November for a Feb 2016 application. But it may be worthwhile  completing your Form 80 as I understand that takes quite a while to complete.! 

If you look at the figures supplied by @Biggsy earlier https://www.pomsinoz.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=24852

There were 486 lodged by end January 2016 and a further 241 by 8 February 2016