Guest guest36187

On 27/07/2019 at 17:47, Alan Collett said:

Why not start another thread for parent visa application timelines?

This thread is a mixture of technical questions (fine) and (increasingly of late) posts that are asking what's happening.   Can we not have a separate thread for each?   Please?!

Best regards.

I have set up a new thread - 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, emma2104 said:

Hi all,

Am new to this forum but from a quick read I am already looking forward to hearing your ideas and advice 🙂

I am a PR here and can apply for citizenship from Feb 2020. Myself and my husband are looking to move my parents over from the UK.  We are leaning towards the Contributory Aged Parent visa and my dad turns 66 next July (in line with the increase in retirement age here).  My mum will be 60 however we have been informed that she will have access to the same visa as she is his spouse.

Just wondering about anyones current experiences with this visa?  My parents will need to sell-up and move to Oz to apply onshore (the money from the house sell will be needed to pay for the visa) It is a huge move and obviously comes with risks.

My main concern is my parents falling ill inbetween applying for the visa and the medical being requested, ultimately leading to the visa being denied.  I have looked into the health waiver however if major treatment was needed it would exceed the $49,000 'limit'.  If my parents had private health care would this waive this condition? Or because the cost of this visa is so high, would they be covered for ALL treatment? 

Also, if my dad was to pass away before the visa was granted, would my mum still be able to access it? 

These options terrify me/us but they are all possibilities so we need to cover all bases - I have nightmares of having a parent sent back to England with nothing.  

We have looked at other options however this visa seems (although v expensive) like the best option to get them here to stay permanently asap.  

Does anyone have an update on current wait times?

I hope this message does not sound overly dramatic but it is good to hear experiences.  We will probably go through a lawyer to have their added support too.

Thanks so much!

Emma

I'm not an expert but hopefully my parents experience of applying for an 864 may be helpful. They are from the UK and both over 65

They applied for an 864 in Australia in June 2017 and once their 3 month tourist visa expired they moved onto a bridging visa. Medicare gave them a blue interim medicare card which enables them to get top level medical insurance at similar prices to an Aussie PR. There is generally a 12 month waiting period for most treatments, but after that had passed my mum was able to have a double knee replacement in a private hospital with private rehab afterwards and only a small amount of out of pocket expenses. She was really pleased with the quality of the care. As medicare holders they are also entitled to go to a bulk bill doctor. They are not able to get a seniors card yet as they are not PR which means they pay full fare on public transport. They haven't bought a home over here and have no intention to do so as they prefer renting. The UK pension being fixed at the rate they came over is annoying, but they have a private pension too which does increase each year. It does fluctuate with exchange rates though. Having to apply for a visa to leave the country hasn't been an issue for them as they don't have a strong desire to travel outside Australia. 

It used to be that the 864 was processed quicker than the offshore visas however there has been talk on this forum of an intentional slow down by immigration to bring the visas into line. I don't believe there has been any official announcement on this and there is still movement in what the auto email response from immigration is now showing with the visa assessment date now showing as January 2017.

I think what you decide to do will depend on your personal circumstances. In my case my parents were eager to come out here and would prefer to wait for the visa here rather than the UK even if there is a risk they may be sent back. I think it's more likely that any changes to the visa will be tweaks rather than getting rid of it entirely and we are comfortably over the AOS limit which they have talked about increasing in the past. Whatever you do I would suggest applying as soon as you can as even a few months delay can cause over a wait time of over a year for the visa. 

•  
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Britgirl29 said:

It used to be that the 864 was processed quicker than the offshore visas however there has been talk on this forum of an intentional slow down by immigration to bring the visas into line. I don't believe there has been any official announcement on this and there is still movement in what the auto email response from immigration is now showing with the visa assessment date now showing as January 2017

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/about-us/blog/page/3/

you will need to scroll down for the post about 864

See this post by a reputable  agent back in February 2018. It has obviously taken many many months for the 864 to move forward 4 months to the present processing date - from Sept 2016 to January 2017. This is similar to  the general current movement of 173/143 visas, moving forward just 4 months in every year. The queue is bigger and moving more slowly every year and number of visas granted has been dropping. 

It also references the fact about the timeline for 864 becoming similar to that of 143s etc. 

We are all frustrated with the ever lengthening wait - it’s even been debated in Parliament. Simply put Australia doesn't really want old people who could potentially cost it a lot of money later in life. To this end they have actually reduced the number of contributory parent visas (173,143,864) they will now grant (6000 instead of 7175) so obviously that is also going to add to the wait time. 

Edited by LindaH27

5 hours ago, Mily said:

We have received the request to support document from immi 2day after 42 months

we applied 143 on 9 november 2015

and we have 70 days to do everything.

Congrats!  Can't believe so fast processing 143 applications! 

Is there anyone else Nov-15 applicants receiving call to submit docs??

• Like 1

We have received the request to support document from immi 2day after 42 months
we applied 143 on 9 november 2015
and we have 70 days to do everything.

Great news, if your dates are correct...and why wouldn’t they be[emoji3][emoji3] the time between lodgement and request is nearly 45 months, which is inline with correct predictions. Not that you’re worried[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

2 months behind you and that means we should hear around October....yabbadabbadoo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Greece said:

Congrats!  Can't believe so fast processing 143 applications! 

Is there anyone else Nov-15 applicants receiving call to submit docs??

Yes; My application was received on 18th November 2015, acknowledged on 20th November & got email for form 80, Medical & PCC. Thanks all of you.

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 3

56 minutes ago, Abdur Rashid said:

Yes; My application was received on 18th November 2015, acknowledged on 20th November & got email for form 80, Medical & PCC. Thanks all of you.

56 minutes ago, Abdur Rashid said:

Wow!  Great! So quick! Going at Super Jet speed. Unbelievable and giving us good hope too for our turn!

Hello everyone hopes you all doing well. As many of you know our 173 offshore application was granted recently for my father in law & my brother in law who was 17.5 years old at the time of lodgement and now 21.5 years old. 

We now considering to lodge subclass 143 application. My brother in law was dependent applicant at the time of visa grant and he was a full-time student. Now as he has full work rights & he is considering to find a full-time work, which means he will no longer dependent on his father on financially.  Now my question to the forum is 

1. If he works full time now can he still be considered in 143 application and grated as a dependent adult? 

2.  Will he be able to get Permanent residency though his father 143 visa application now? 

3. As I heard if a dependent over the age of 24 he will no longer be considered as dependent. Now the way immigration processing its application he may become 24 or older at the time of decision. Do you guys know if that's happened is he be effected and removed from his parent's application?

Hope someone went through this and be able to guide me. 

Aos saga continues.  After our initial application was rejected as they had our daughter only earning $1 in one of the years. .....their mistake, we now hear that it has been rejected again, as carer pensions are not considered allowable income for Aos even though the website says it is.  So now we have dropped our daughter and added a good friend....so hopefully will hear something more positive by the end of the month.....waiting....waiting....waiting...😎😎😎

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

Aos saga continues.  After our initial application was rejected as they had our daughter only earning $1 in one of the years. .....their mistake, we now hear that it has been rejected again, as carer pensions are not considered allowable income for Aos even though the website says it is.  So now we have dropped our daughter and added a good friend....so hopefully will hear something more positive by the end of the month.....waiting....waiting....waiting...😎😎😎

What a pain!

Just to flag if you are putting up the money for the AOS yourself, your good friend will be the legal owner of it according to Centrelink and Commbank, so if you fall out or lose touch in the next 10 years you might not get the AOS back, they can claim it and keep it. 

A poster on here had this issue a few months back.

I’m sure you have it covered but just putting it out there......

Fingers crossed for your visa soon!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

What a pain!

Just to flag if you are putting up the money for the AOS yourself, your good friend will be the legal owner of it according to Centrelink and Commbank, so if you fall out or lose touch in the next 10 years you might not get the AOS back, they can claim it and keep it. 

A poster on here had this issue a few months back.

I’m sure you have it covered but just putting it out there......

Fingers crossed for your visa soon!

Thanks..hadn’t thought of that actually....will be son in law and friend as joint.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

Thanks..hadn’t thought of that actually....will be son in law and friend as joint.

I think it’s something people tend not to think about in their desperation to be reunited with family and because you put the money up you assume it is yours but in legal terms it isn’t. 

Make sure you keep in touch with both of them and update Commbank as to their addresses as both of them will be needed in 10 years time to get the bond back.  If they have mygov accounts they can let Centrelink know as well so all the letters match up for addresses and so easier to identify everyone. 

I’ve just got my bond back so the issues are fresh in my mind!

All the very best to you. That 10 years will fly by! 😀

On 02/08/2019 at 07:56, Amber Snowball said:

I think it’s something people tend not to think about in their desperation to be reunited with family and because you put the money up you assume it is yours but in legal terms it isn’t. 

Make sure you keep in touch with both of them and update Commbank as to their addresses as both of them will be needed in 10 years time to get the bond back.  If they have mygov accounts they can let Centrelink know as well so all the letters match up for addresses and so easier to identify everyone. 

I’ve just got my bond back so the issues are fresh in my mind!

All the very best to you. That 10 years will fly by! 😀

Thanks Amber...we decided to use a friend who lives and works in Canberra rather than one in regional NSW as wages are much lower there!

• Like 1