Guest guest36187

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The question is, if you don’t  tell them the used items are less than 12 months old, how would they ever know?

Perhaps because if they really wanted to find out they could, and I'd prefer not to lie on a customs declaration form.  I'd just like to be prepared as to the likelihood of having to pay duty and tax.  

4 hours ago, David Leask said:

Hi Sadge,

We declared a total of $1025 of goods that were less than 12 months old.  Some were going away gifts and were clearly unused.  We noted them as gifts on the customs declaration form.  I don't think our MoveCube was opened and inspected by customs and we didn't incur any import tax.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

David

Thank you, they obviously do have some discretion then - I'll declare the things and just hope that the customs people are having a good day!  

40 minutes ago, Sadge said:

Perhaps because if they really wanted to find out they could, and I'd prefer not to lie on a customs declaration form.  I'd just like to be prepared as to the likelihood of having to pay duty and tax.  

How could they find out? The only possible way they could know is if it’s a model that wasn’t being made over 12 months ago and they’re hardly going to check that kind of thing. Anything that horas obvious signs of wear won’t be questioned

Thank you, they obviously do have some discretion then - I'll declare the things and just hope that the customs people are having a good day!  

I also asked myself ‘how would they know?’. This question was quickly followed by ‘would they really believe I have nothing less than 12 months old in a large MoveCube?’.

I’ve always thought honesty is the best policy so I declared everything under 12 months old. I doubt you’ll go far wrong by doing the same thing.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sadge said:

Getting things together to go in my Movecube.  I have four things to declare as having been owned less than 12 months, two were bought and have been in obvious use since January & February and two will be completely new and unused, but added together the four will be over the $900 allowance - probably a total of around $1200. Does anybody know if Customs has any discretion where obviously used things are concerned?   

Some used items could have depreciation applied, and if you travel in group, you could combine your allowances.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peter2 said:

Some used items could have depreciation applied, and if you travel in group, you could combine your allowances.

Just me and my Movecube!   I didn't think of depreciation, so fingers crossed.  Thank you. 

Having the opportunity to be able to apply for this visa is a great privilege of which I am so grateful....yes there is a but coming...... but waiting for nearly 45 months now I must say it is for the survival of the mentally fittest.

• Sad 3
  • Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, Sadge said:

Just me and my Movecube!   I didn't think of depreciation, so fingers crossed.  Thank you. 

Generally they are really looking for people who are importing stuff to sell, do if you had four fridges and three washing machines, all brand new, they are going to ask questions. If all you have is a container full of normal household goods they aren't interested., its more trouble than its worth. Many people don't declare anything, and most of those genuinely don't have anything new. 

Just don't go out and buy loads of new gear and then ship it in the original packaging, and you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

Having the opportunity to be able to apply for this visa is a great privilege of which I am so grateful....yes there is a but coming...... but waiting for nearly 45 months now I must say it is for the survival of the mentally fittest.

Nearly there! I’m really thinking what to do about mine now. As a June 2017 applicant it’s going to be years more yet!! 😥

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Nearly there! I’m really thinking what to do about mine now. As a June 2017 applicant it’s going to be years more yet!! 😥

Think about as having already done 2 years and try and forget about it and enjoy your time here. 🤔

I just really think it will be a lot longer than the current nearly 4 years wait. But it’s The only way! I think it’s because my daughter has just gone back home to Oz after a visit and we are both feeling sad!! 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Sad 1

@CEJ I think these past 4 months have been worse than the previous 39!

I was there on holiday this time last year for my daughter's birthday and told her it would be the last birthday we will be apart but now her bday is on Thursday and I am still in the UK 

Edited by Marilyn
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

I just really think it will be a lot longer than the current nearly 4 years wait. But it’s The only way! I think it’s because my daughter has just gone back home to Oz after a visit and we are both feeling sad!! 

Exactly the same they landed back I syd yesterday with my two grandchildren, it's been a amazing 4 weeks but we have no control apart from booking your next trip over 😜

57 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

I was there on holiday this time last year for my daughter's birthday and told her it would be the last birthday we will be apart but now her bday is on Thursday and I am still in the UK 

I agree marilyn my mind tells me to wake up in the middle of the night to check my emails its exhausting 😫 but I'm keeping busy sorting through all my stuff, (mostly clothes and shoes ) and getting rid x

Edited by CEJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marilyn said:

I’m beginning to think exactly the same....Aos is dragging on ...Centrelink don’t seem to have a clue!  Waiting to be reassessed as they did it wrong the first time 🤬😎😎😎

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Peter2 said:

What allowances do you get?  I can’t see where to find all this info ...can you give me a link at all?  Ta 😎

2 hours ago, Peter2 said:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/duty-free

Can't find official link for depreciation.

There is no link for depreciation. If you declare goods less than 12 months old, they may charge you the GST. Older than 12 months they aren't interested at all, they are just personal possessions.

They really are just looking to charge tax on goods that they believe may be imported for resale.  

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

There is no link for depreciation. If you declare goods less than 12 months old, they may charge you the GST. Older than 12 months they aren't interested at all, they are just personal possessions.

They really are just looking to charge tax on goods that they believe may be imported for resale.  

Thanks for that...I hadn’t even thought about the reselling issue....we’ll only have a few items and our clothes etc so hopefully no problems.

9 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

Thanks for that...I hadn’t even thought about the reselling issue....we’ll only have a few items and our clothes etc so hopefully no problems.

Before you decide to leave everything behind, do a trial shop online to see what it will cost to replace everything in Australia. 

A medium or large Movecube usually works out to be worth the investment, even if you’re bringing stuff that’s a good few years old.

Try petersofkensington.com.au for pots, pans, crockery, cutlery. Thegoodguys.com.au for whitegoods and electrical. HarveyNorman.com.au for furniture.

If you’re in your sixties like me, you’ve probably amassed a collection of decent housewares over time and don’t realise how much it will cost to replace with the same quality, so a trial shop is a good reality check

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Marilyn said:

WOOHOO - I received an email too with request to pay....I am beyond excited AND its my daughters birthday tomorrow so a great gift to us both.

Shall I expect one too, I guess/hopefully?

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1