Guest guest36187

27 minutes ago, Rosiejaq said:

Did this mean that people got their money back, or they were just cancelled?

The only situation I can quote is when the student visas were changed retrospectively. At that time it was an official route to PR and International students were encouraged to study here.

When the applicants who were on student visas applied for PR, all their applications were front loaded. Ie Medicals, taken IELTS passed, correct points, and application correct and paid for. The government decided retrospectively to change the rules. The students were all put on bridging visas, which went on for at least 3 years, before the majority were told to go home. There was a lot of publicity about how badly the students were being treated but it made no difference.

My son was one of the few students who were granted PR, but I think the fact he was a mature student and already had a UK degree, plus Australian and an Australian  masters made the difference. I honestly don’t know how many were ever eventually repaid their application fees, but I remember it wasn’t easy. I can’t remember what year this happened 2009’sh, but it was so stressful and so unfair on the genuine students, but there were so many rorts going on at that time. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ramot said:

The only situation I can quote is when the student visas were changed retrospectively. At that time it was an official route to PR and International students were encouraged to study here.

When the applicants who were on student visas applied for PR, all their applications were front loaded. Ie Medicals, taken IELTS passed, correct points, and application correct and paid for. The government decided retrospectively to change the rules. The students were all put on bridging visas, which went on for at least 3 years, before the majority were told to go home. There was a lot of publicity about how badly the students were being treated but it made no difference.

My son was one of the few students who were granted PR, but I think the fact he was a mature student and already had a UK degree, plus Australian and an Australian  masters made the difference. I honestly don’t know how many were ever eventually repaid their application fees, but I remember it wasn’t easy. I can’t remember what year this happened 2009’sh, but it was so stressful and so unfair on the genuine students, but there were so many rorts going on at that time. 

I think there is a big difference in the ability to depart Australia between those students - most of whom were relatively young - and parents, many of whom are onshore and by definition are aged.

The furore would be significant if there was a move to cap and cease onshore 804s (say) - I doubt such a move would get through the Parliament.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

I think there is a big difference in the ability to depart Australia between those students - most of whom were relatively young - and parents, many of whom are onshore and by definition are aged.

The furore would be significant if there was a move to cap and cease onshore 804s (say) - I doubt such a move would get through the Parliament.

Best regards.

Completely agree, was only really answering the question raised. Didn’t mean to scare anyone.

Edited by ramot

Hi All,

This might not be related to this forum however just want to know if anyone knows anything about cruises outside of Australia (Sydney to South pacific).

My mum is currently in Australia on tourist visa 600 with 8558 condition which lets her stay 12 months in Australia in 18 months period. From my understanding if shes goes out of the country during the 12 months period she can stay those number of days more in Aus. E.g. if she arrived in Australia on 1st May 2019 she should leave Aus on or before 30th April 2020. Now if we plan a cruise for 10 days to the south pacific will she be able to stay in Aus until 10th May 2020? Is it how this works? And if the south pacific cruise which is in the international waters considered her time out of Australia?

Any help would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Anks said:

Hi All,

This might not be related to this forum however just want to know if anyone knows anything about cruises outside of Australia (Sydney to South pacific).

My mum is currently in Australia on tourist visa 600 with 8558 condition which lets her stay 12 months in Australia in 18 months period. From my understanding if shes goes out of the country during the 12 months period she can stay those number of days more in Aus. E.g. if she arrived in Australia on 1st May 2019 she should leave Aus on or before 30th April 2020. Now if we plan a cruise for 10 days to the south pacific will she be able to stay in Aus until 10th May 2020? Is it how this works? And if the south pacific cruise which is in the international waters considered her time out of Australia?

Hi

Going on a cruise is not considered as departing Australia. You must book flights and leave through Airport. 

Edited by dunken

1 minute ago, dunken said:

Going on a cruise is not considered as departing Australia. You must book flights and leave through Airport.

Hi Dunken,

Thanks for a quick response, so even though we will be on international waters its still not considered departing Aus. As we havent done this before not sure about the procedure.. Isn't there an Immigration check post departing Aus?

1 hour ago, Anks said:

Hi All,

https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/form/immi-faqs/i-am-going-on-a-cruise-do-i-need-a-visa

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

Can somebody please confirm what boxes (if any) Seven Seas provide with a Large MoveCube?  I'm busy packing and am running out of boxes that I acquired from various sources - don't want to buy more if it's not necessary.  

30 minutes ago, Sadge said:

Can somebody please confirm what boxes (if any) Seven Seas provide with a Large MoveCube?  I'm busy packing and am running out of boxes that I acquired from various sources - don't want to buy more if it's not necessary.  

Ring them and ask them, or check your paperwork. If there were any boxes included in the price, it should say so

2 hours ago, Sadge said:

They told me that you have to provide your own boxes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sadge said:

Hello Sadge,

We used the Seven Seas Large MoveCube to move our belongings to Australia last year.  We would highly recommend them.  For us, the service was faultless.

Around a week before you are due to move the Seven Seas driver will come to your house and carry out an access inspection to make sure there will be no issues on the day they deliver the MoveCube.  The driver will leave the free packaging material.  This includes large and medium cardboard boxes, bubble wrap and lots of rolls of sticky tape.  I'm afraid I can't remember how many boxes we got.  I think it may have been 6 of each (large and medium).  I do remember that what they give you is not nearly enough to fill the MoveCube and therefore I suggest you start searching out more cardboard boxes.

The driver will also leave you a load of forms to complete (and hand over on the day of the MoveCube pick up).  These forms include Customs Declarations.  You will also have to list everything that is in every box in your MoveCube.  It's quite a task to complete this list (almost as tough as Form 80! LOL) but I think it's worth spending time over.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Good luck

David

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anks said:

Hi Dunken,

Thanks for a quick response, so even though we will be on international waters its still not considered departing Aus. As we havent done this before not sure about the procedure.. Isn't there an Immigration check post departing Aus?

Please watch this video for more info

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Leask said:

Hello Sadge,

We used the Seven Seas Large MoveCube to move our belongings to Australia last year.  We would highly recommend them.  For us, the service was faultless.

Around a week before you are due to move the Seven Seas driver will come to your house and carry out an access inspection to make sure there will be no issues on the day they deliver the MoveCube.  The driver will leave the free packaging material.  This includes large and medium cardboard boxes, bubble wrap and lots of rolls of sticky tape.  I'm afraid I can't remember how many boxes we got.  I think it may have been 6 of each (large and medium).  I do remember that what they give you is not nearly enough to fill the MoveCube and therefore I suggest you start searching out more cardboard boxes.

The driver will also leave you a load of forms to complete (and hand over on the day of the MoveCube pick up).  These forms include Customs Declarations.  You will also have to list everything that is in every box in your MoveCube.  It's quite a task to complete this list (almost as tough as Form 80! LOL) but I think it's worth spending time over.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Good luck

David

Thank you so much David, for your very helpful reply.  I have done the majority of my packing, just leaving the last minute stuff - mainly kitchen items, some bedding and other bits and pieces that I'll still be using until the last day or so.  I've compiled a spreadsheet of the numbered boxes ready to add to the Customs forms, and 6 extra boxes of both sizes will be plenty to finish off what's left.  I hope I've given sufficient detail of the contents of the boxes, otherwise there'll be an element of panic setting in.  The thought of having to open up each box to count how many sheets and pillowcases I put in the box 27 marked 'bedding', just doesn't bear thinking about!  Just waiting for the completion date of my sale and I'll book my MoveCube.  

Thank you again.

Thank you so much David, for your very helpful reply.  I have done the majority of my packing, just leaving the last minute stuff - mainly kitchen items, some bedding and other bits and pieces that I'll still be using until the last day or so.  I've compiled a spreadsheet of the numbered boxes ready to add to the Customs forms, and 6 extra boxes of both sizes will be plenty to finish off what's left.  I hope I've given sufficient detail of the contents of the boxes, otherwise there'll be an element of panic setting in.  The thought of having to open up each box to count how many sheets and pillowcases I put in the box 27 marked 'bedding', just doesn't bear thinking about!  Just waiting for the completion date of my sale and I'll book my MoveCube.  
Thank you again.

Hi Sadge,

It sounds like you are well organised. We were the same, mostly packed before we got the free boxes.

We didn’t count everything either. We put ‘bedding’, ‘ladies clothing’ etc on our forms. You will have to list all items (with values) less than 12 months old. Also, they will want details of all wooden items. If you are taking bikes, I would steam clean them (and state this on the form).

I don’t think Customs opened our MoveCube. Door to door our goods took 99 days to arrive in Australia.

I’m sure you’ll be just fine.

Best regards
David
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, summerskybird said:

They told me that you have to provide your own boxes.

This is why I'm suggesting to ring up and ask.  We didn't use a Movecube in the end, but I do remember that when we got a quote, we had a CHOICE of whether to include packaging or not.  

If you ask to include packaging, they deliver the boxes about a week in advance, but you can ask to have them dropped off as early as you like.

@VLong No I have had no movement since submitting my docs - I did write to PVC team 1 last week enquiring and they have basically indicated that they are working according to the auto reply timings so August 2015 but we do know they have requested for September 2015 lodgers.

It doesn't make a difference what stage you are with 143 or 173 with the submission of documents so I will have to just wait until they reach October 2015 and that is when they will be processing my application.

You can follow via my timeline - it would help others too if you put yours up.

Edited by Marilyn