Guest guest36187

On 17/06/2019 at 13:47, Jellybean T said:

I agree ..... it’s very sad but as you say rules are rules. If the family pay for her care perhaps they will let her live the short time she has left in Australia.... but the Australian people shouldn’t have to foot the bill for her care as she doesn’t meet the visa requirements. We all have to wait and see if we meet the health requirements and as we are all getting older we are mor susceptible to health problems. Very sad situation.

Yes, I agree that there should be a way to let her stay if the family pays the medical bills. If she returns to the UK with no family and isn't able to pay for private care, then her remaining time on this planet is going to be imaginably pitiful. Very sad to read other comments where other posers are so consumed with there own woes, they have lost sight of basic morality.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, I agree that there should be a way to let her stay if the family pays the medical bills. If she returns to the UK with no family and isn't able to pay for private care, then her remaining time on this planet is going to be imaginably pitiful. Very sad to read other comments where other posers are so consumed with there own woes, they have lost sight of basic morality.

The trouble is I don’t think there is any mechanism to allow her family to pay all her medical bills and governments aren’t good at creating special rules for just one person 

One would certainly hope that if she has to go back to the UK, her family would not let her go alone

Edited by Marisawright

Unfortunately it looks like the family aren’t in a position to pay for her care as stated in the article 

“Mr Rowe, who works full time in cleaning and maintenance, said he accepts the government’s determination that Ms Manley’s care will cost Australia’s health system, but believes the cost is justified because her direct relatives are paying taxes in Australia and it will only be for a short period of time due to her failing health”

Possibly ministerial intervention could help due to her advanced age and the length of the journey to UK - which I also find draining and I’m a lot younger than this particulate lady!! 

7 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Why would it be pitiful? The uk won’t leave her on the street, she would be in a nursing home (just like she is now) which would be paid for by the state if she has no money/assets. No ones suggesting it’s a nice situation, it’s not. It’s just that it is a situation that was likely to happen and it has, it is what it is. 

The problem with saying that "the family promise to pay the medical bills" is the basic fact that the government cannot force them to pay up. Its the same as we see with cases where a child has a condition which causes the family to be denied a visa. Even if the family promise to pay the bills, they cannot be held to it because of the way the australian health service is designed. If the family run out of money, or simply refuse to pay when it comes down to it, then Medicare will have to step in and the government will end up paying after all. Even if the family take out private insurance there is nothing to stop them cancelling it as soon as the visa is issued, and then, again, Medicare would have to take over. 

• Like 1

Latest is that ‘ to be honest as expected, as it was pretty inhumane to deport a very ill 93 year old’  she is now being allowed to stay.

Also the family can apply for the medical assistance visa, to enable her to stay here.

Any case as in this case as in this one, that appears as very unfair because of the emotional impact, hits the news and evokes an understandable reaction. The reality is that rules for eligibility for emigration are there for a reason. If you believe all the stories about health tourists in UK using the NHS for free when not eligible,  then the conditions here make more sense. This obviously excludes  a genuine emergency situation.

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Latest is that ‘ to be honest as expected, as it was pretty inhumane to deport a very ill 93 year old’  she is now being allowed to stay.

Also the family can apply for the medical assistance visa, to enable her to stay here.

Any case as in this case as in this one, that appears as very unfair because of the emotional impact, hits the news and evokes an understandable reaction. The reality is that rules for eligibility for emigration are there for a reason. If you believe all the stories about health tourists in UK using the NHS for free when not eligible,  then the conditions here make more sense. This obviously excludes  a genuine emergency situation.

So the solution for all those parents who are doing the right thing, waiting patiently for their Contributory Parent Visa to come through is simple - just come to Australia on a tourist visa, apply onshore for the 804 and then when you fail the medical years later, make a fuss in the newpapers and you'll be allowed to stay.

I feel sorry for the woman but I wish they would put a stop to this bridging visa loophole and process the genuine visa applicants faster instead.

• Like 11

Hi everyone.  Although I check in regularly, I haven't made any contribution to this forum for ages.  It’s so frustrating to see that nothing at all seems to be happening for post Aug 2015 applicants and this seems to have been the case for months.

In the meantime I continue to be happily here on a 600 visa with 5 year validity.  I was one of the lucky ones who somehow was granted this visa with multiple entry and maximum 12 month stays on each re- entry.  I have just had a brief return to the UK with return flights to Oz.  I breezed back into Australia through the electronic passport-in-slot system whereupon my visa  was automatically renewed for another 12 months.  This just goes to show that there is apparently no need to have a return flight to the UK booked.  The day after my return I went to Centerlink, applied for an updated Medicare card under the reciprocal agreement and have just received it, valid till next June which is when my current 12 month visa will expire.  All so easy. 

Hoping and hoping that my own 143 visa will be sorted in the next 12 months, but it’s hard to be optimistic when it seems that no progress whatever is being made.  Good luck to everyone else in the system and let’s all just try to keep smiling 😊😊

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AMP said:

I continue to be happily here on a 600 visa with 5 year validity.  I was one of the lucky ones who somehow was granted this visa with multiple entry and maximum 12 month stays on each re- entry.  I have just had a brief return to the UK with return flights to Oz

Hi AMP,  that is indeed very lucky as I have only heard that on 600 you get 3 years visa with multiple entries (apologies I do have heard about it...I reckon its for people who are in the parent visa queue where 600 can be for 5 years validity)

my question is more regarding the minimum outside stay 🙂

Could you please advise if there is a requirement on how many months do you have to be away from Australia to come back for another 12 months as you mentioned you had a brief return to the UK...

Edited by Anks

I recently posted with an incorrect visa number, I'll start again. Has anyone recently had a request for police checks ect. for visa 103 or have been allocated a case officer  Last year a chart was displayed showing the date that further documents were being requested as  August 2010,  Does anyone know if this as been updated?    Any information would be really appreciated

I initially applied for the 103 lodged in May 2012 I just checked what my status would be today and I would still have 4 years and 9 months still to wait - I did withdraw it in July 2015 and applied 173 in October 2015. Hopefully I only have a few more months to wait.

43 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

I initially applied for the 103 lodged in May 2012 I just checked what my status would be today and I would still have 4 years and 9 months still to wait - I did withdraw it in July 2015 and applied 173 in October 2015. Hopefully I only have a few more months to wait.

I didn’t realize you’d started the process so long ago......if you’d applied for 173 back in 2012 you’d have been through the whole process ages ago 🥴

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Marilyn said:

Hi Marilyn, 

Do you think it's going to be another couple of months for us ? 

When so you think they will they will get in touch again ? 

Clare 

@CEJ I am hoping /praying that I will get request to pay next week and then my visa granted in the new financial year so anytime week commencing 1st July. My PCC and medical was sent 3 months ago and haven't heard anything so I am guessing they are only processing those 173 lodged Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 in the new financial year ...but it is all a guess.

@Rosiejaq It has been a very long journey for me (7 years worth of waiting). I was not fully aware at that time if I submitted my 173 and withdrew the 103 on the same form my waiting time would have already be considered and I would have by visa granted within 6 months. I only found out later.

Edited by Marilyn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yes exactly the same marilyn apart from your waiting time, and my guess is after the 1st. fingers crossed but my daughter and 2 grandsons are here from SYD until july the 15th so all good at the moment.  I'm hoping I can get it through while she is here to celebrate.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marilyn said:

@Rosiejaq It has been a very long journey for me (7 years worth of waiting). I was not fully aware at that time if I submitted my 173 and withdrew the 103 on the same form my waiting time would have already be considered and I would have by visa granted within 6 months. I only found out later.

It’s a pity you didn’t know....hopefully things will start happening in July.  We’re waiting for our Aos to be reassessed as they made a ballsup of the original submissions!  We’ve been told that they should’ve processed it correctly in about 2 weeks so hopefully we’ll have to pay Aos soon and then wait for 2nd VAC.....on tenterhooks now 😁😎😎

• Like 2

Re: Transferring proceeds of house sale.

Having at long last (see my timeline!) got a serious buyer after several false starts, letdowns and disappointments, the question of transferring the proceeds into my Australian bank a/c has me a little concerned.  I would be transferring the money from my UK bank via Moneycorps but would this be seen as taxable income by ATO?  The house I'm buying in Australia won't be ready for some time (new village development) so the money would have to go into my account rather than direct to the developer, and appear as income.

I'm just wondering how others have managed to avoid having to pay tax on their overseas house sale, as this must be quite a common scenario.

1 hour ago, Sadge said:

Re: Transferring proceeds of house sale.

Having at long last (see my timeline!) got a serious buyer after several false starts, letdowns and disappointments, the question of transferring the proceeds into my Australian bank a/c has me a little concerned.  I would be transferring the money from my UK bank via Moneycorps but would this be seen as taxable income by ATO?  The house I'm buying in Australia won't be ready for some time (new village development) so the money would have to go into my account rather than direct to the developer, and appear as income.

I'm just wondering how others have managed to avoid having to pay tax on their overseas house sale, as this must be quite a common scenario.

Hi Sadge, Must admit I thought there would be no problem...sell house in UK, transfer money to Oz, buy house in Oz...job done. there are loads of websites that give info but I've never come across a specific one on proceeds from house sale.... found this site    https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/do-457-visa-holders-owe-tax-when-they-transfer-money-to-australia/    which basically says no problem unless it's earned income that hasn't been taxed in UK. I've transferred quite a bit so far in bits and pieces when the rate looks good and just been asked what it's for... I tick "relocation" and never been asked to pay tax. ( you will pay tax on any interest earned on that money in OZ though )  We are coming up to moving out there for good ( 7th July ) and will have the proceeds from our own home to send plus money from savings....fingers crossed some tax department doesn't want to get their sticky hands on any of it.

Good luck with your move.

35 minutes ago, Ray and Geri said:

Hi Sadge, Must admit I thought there would be no problem...sell house in UK, transfer money to Oz, buy house in Oz...job done. there are loads of websites that give info but I've never come across a specific one on proceeds from house sale.... found this site    https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/do-457-visa-holders-owe-tax-when-they-transfer-money-to-australia/    which basically says no problem unless it's earned income that hasn't been taxed in UK. I've transferred quite a bit so far in bits and pieces when the rate looks good and just been asked what it's for... I tick "relocation" and never been asked to pay tax. ( you will pay tax on any interest earned on that money in OZ though )  We are coming up to moving out there for good ( 7th July ) and will have the proceeds from our own home to send plus money from savings....fingers crossed some tax department doesn't want to get their sticky hands on any of it.

Good luck with your move.

Useful link and info - thank you.  I think then if it's noted as proceeds of sale it should be OK.  You're a few months ahead of me (Sept/Oct) so you'll be well settled by summer, hope it all goes smoothly for you.  30 months to get my visa, then another 30 months to sell the house - if nothing else, this process teaches patience!