Guest guest36187

On 24/04/2019 at 00:47, SusieRoo said:

I think with the increased queue lengths for parent visas, it would now be humane to automatically handout bridging visas to all applicants. I wonder if Labor would stick that in it's manifesto?

I can see problems with that.  For one thing, living on a bridging visa isn't easy and if they were automatic, I can see droves of people going for the bridging visa without doing their homework - and ending up in lots of strife.  Especially people from countries that don't have any reciprocal health cover.   

For another, I wonder ifit would encourage people to make spurious applications, because they'd think, "OK, my visa will get rejected when it eventually reaches the front of the queue, but in the meantime I can get six/seven/eight years in Australia and that's better than nothing".  

On 24/04/2019 at 09:04, Kalil said:

@Marilyn 

I am with you on this pain. Looks like this government needs to change for good. 

Be careful what you wish for (though personally I'll be glad if it does).   You can't be sure any other government will see things differently.   Remember, the New Zealand closed its doors to parent visas completely for a while.  It could just as easily happen in Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

3 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

This is most probably a reference to the tax deduction in the UK for mortgage interest, which is limiting the rate of tax relief to the basic rate only.

Most who are living in Australia will not be paying tax at 40%, so unlikely to be an issue.

Best regards.

I think the article I was reading was about changes from April 2020  to the capital gains being taxed if/when selling a UK rental property. Apologise if I am wrong, never my intention to confuse. 

Edited by ramot

3 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Those who are living in Australia as the holders of subclass 870 visas will probably be able to make use of the temporary tax resident exemptions in Australia - so UK rental income will not taxable in Australia until a permanent residency visa is granted.

Might be best to discuss with a tax accountant?   Concerned persons are welcome to send a PM to me if they would like an initial freebie chat.

Best regards.

If you rented out your home in UK and lived with your children in Australia, your place of abode would be "more likely than less likely" to be Australia. Since you would be likely to stay in Australia more than 183 days in a financial year and you couldn't establish either your place of abode is elsewhere or you have no intention to take up residency in Australia, the latter of which is downright hard to prove, I would suggest 870 holders are technically tax residents. Another point is when there's ambiguity, ATO tends to interpret in their favour so they can collect more.  

But this is only my opinion, you should certainly ask for professional advice. 

Edited by Shane2019

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I think the article I was reading was about changes from April 2020  to the capital gains being taxed if/when selling a UK rental property. Apologise if I am wrong, never my intention to confuse. 

Yes I think that one was something to do with Principal Rate Relief ( no tax on profit of sale of own home) ) but you will have to sell within 9 months instead of original 18 months if property unoccupied in order to escape capital gains tax. Something like that anyway. 

Also empty properties attract premium council tax rates after a certain period. 

Again the stress is on the fact that I’m no expert!  

9 hours ago, Shane2019 said:

If you rented out your home in UK and lived with your children in Australia, your place of abode would be "more likely than less likely" to be Australia. Since you would be likely to stay in Australia more than 183 days in a financial year and you couldn't establish either your place of abode is elsewhere or you have no intention to take up residency in Australia, the latter of which is downright hard to prove, I would suggest 870 holders are technically tax residents. Another point is when there's ambiguity, ATO tends to interpret in their favour so they can collect more.  

But this is only my opinion, you should certainly ask for professional advice. 

We have lived in Australia for 16 years on a temporary long term retirement visa. All our income comes from the UK, we are taxed in UK. No idea if the same on the 870 visa. Everything must be checked by the individual concerned to see what applies to them.

Alan Collett an MA who posts on PIO is recommended by many as very knowledgeable on both Australian and UK tax. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

I am quite happy to share this news with you guys that today we have our 143 visa granted after a long wait of 4 years. 

It was a stressful journey.   Never mind , All's well that ends well

Thanks everyone for your precious suggestions throughout this journey & Good luck to everyone. 🙂 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 10

Just my opinion - I did say probably!  I believe applications for processing are released in batches (from another forum post). If that is correct then surely they know how many are being processed and how many places are left for the year?? 

• Thanks 1

Woohoo! At last! Email from IMMI today not only asking for 2nd VAC but also giving instructions for going offshore in order to get the visa.   I’ve paid the 2nd vac online by debit card this evening. Rather disgusted that that involves a hefty surcharge, the same as paying by credit card. You also have the option of paying by Paypal which I found quite surprising.  We have a month from today to go offshore and a week to inform IMMI of our travel plans. We need to spend 3 days minimum out of country. We’re off to the travel agent tomorrow to book a short trip to New Zealand, hopefully the week after next.

As an added bonus we’ve found a house we love and our offer on it was accepted today with the vendors happy to wait until our visas come through....and that was before we had the email from IMMI.   It’s been a rather good good day!

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 12

3 minutes ago, Emmys Gran said:

Woohoo! At last! Email from IMMI today not only asking for 2nd VAC but also giving instructions for going offshore in order to get the visa.   I’ve paid the 2nd vac online by debit card this evening. Rather disgusted that that involves a hefty surcharge, the same as paying by credit card. You also have the option of paying by Paypal which I found quite surprising.  We have a month from today to go offshore and a week to inform IMMI of our travel plans. We need to spend 3 days minimum out of country. We’re off to the travel agent tomorrow to book a short trip to New Zealand, hopefully the week after next.

As an added bonus we’ve found a house we love and our offer on it was accepted today with the vendors happy to wait until our visas come through....and that was before we had the email from IMMI.   It’s been a rather good good day!

@Emmys Gran what visa did you apply for?

12 minutes ago, Emmys Gran said:

We tend to suggest payment of the 2nd VAC by bank draft - it saves hundreds of $'s compared with a payment by VISA or MasterCard.

Even though not given as an option the PVC still accepts payments this way.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

We tend to suggest payment of the 2nd VAC by bank draft - it saves hundreds of $'s compared with a payment by VISA or MasterCard.

Best regards.

7 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

Don’t they  have any payment option for money order?

29 minutes ago, Emmys Gran said:

Cpv 143 lodged 22 June 2015

So your Aos took approx  11 months whatever happened to the roughly 6 months for this stage. It’s just going worse. 😩😩😩

Anyway many congrats on getting through 👍😄

Edited by Kathss56

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

So your Aos took approx  11 months whatever happened to the roughly 6 months for this stage. It’s just going worse. 😩😩😩

Anyway many congrats on getting through 👍😄

As I posted earlier Centrelink screwed things up. My son had the telephone interview about the 20 Dec 2018 and about the same time was emailed for some further id. He provided this the same day but Centrelink didn’t link it to the Aos application and the file just sat there with no action being taken. By the beginning of March we were at our wits end   We didn’t know why the delay and couldn’t get any information from Centrelink. It took a request to the local federal MP to get things moving. That added nearly 3 months to the process. I was panicking as the anniversary of our medicals is 9 May and we also didn’t want to get caught up in the June visa grant hiatus. Fortunately IMMI have the option to extend the medicals & police check validity to 18 months & we’ve just snuck in before June. Total processing time for us will be about 47 months

• Sad 2