Guest guest36187

Re SuzanneW - listing holidays

When we were at this stage I found it useful to check photographs to prompt my memory, we had most on computer  and some records of flights etc on a filed travel itinerary, also look at any stamps in your passport. It is time consuming putting all the dates in but better to do it than have questions later.

Good luck

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

When we were at this stage I found it useful to check photographs to prompt my memory, we had most on computer  and some records of flights etc on a filed travel itinerary, also look at any stamps in your passport. It is time consuming putting all the dates in but better to do it than have questions later.

Good luck

It’s not the holidays so much but employment for 40 odd years.....my husband doesn’t have a record of everywhere he’s worked or the dates so we’ll have to be “creative”. I’m not so bad as I’ve only had 7/8 jobs during this time period!

1 hour ago, Rosiejaq said:

It’s not the holidays so much but employment for 40 odd years.....my husband doesn’t have a record of everywhere he’s worked or the dates so we’ll have to be “creative”. I’m not so bad as I’ve only had 7/8 jobs during this time period!

Haven't got to that bit yet! Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosiejaq said:

It’s not the holidays so much but employment for 40 odd years.....my husband doesn’t have a record of everywhere he’s worked or the dates so we’ll have to be “creative”. I’m not so bad as I’ve only had 7/8 jobs during this time 

2 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Good luck

Thanks. Yes, was.looking at holiday photos last night, I think we've still got our previous passports somewhere 'safe'!. But like Freedie50 said, most of ours have been to Spain (& Australia) so not much record of that only photos. 

Will plough on but best to get it right at this stage & will be worth it. Thanks

15 hours ago, SuzanneW said:

Visa 173 applied Sept 15. Asked for medicals etc Feb 19. 

Just looking at form 80, most of it straightforward but do they really want to know EVERY holiday we've had in the last 10 years!! I really can't remember where we've been let alone dates etc. Can someone advise please. Thank you in anticipation.

I had luckily kept all my old expired passports and checked the entry and exit stamps in the passport and luckily I kept every itinerary for the past 13 years. Did you keep your old passports? I have been lucky to only have worked 23 years for 1 company, 5 years for another and 10 years with the current company.

Edited by Marilyn

For those that have already had their visa granted please could I ask the following as I want to make sure I get it right.

1. When you scanned and emailed form 80, colour page of passport and police certificate did you do it as 3 seperate documents on the same email?

2. Did you have the colour page of passport and copy of police certificate certified?

Thank you

For people getting concerned about the form 80. Before you applied for a visa the Australian immigration people would have never heard of you. All they need is a brief background of who you are, where you're from and what you've been doing for at least the last 10 years. (I've always had my CV online so could go back to when I left school)

From what I've gathered over past visits to Oz and discussions online, I think if you're from the UK they wouldn't study the forms so much if youve had a steady working life without big gaps in it. Or been on holiday to "normal" places like Europe or USA and obviously Australia for a couple of weeks or more at a time. They look a bit more, and would ask more questions, if holidays were to places like Bolivia, Cuba or Vietnam etc. Places more out of the ordinary for what they would assume English people would go to.

If you can't remember exact dates for holidays or work, just put the best you can and if there is a query they'll be back to you to fill in any gaps.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, freedy50 said:

For people getting concerned about the form 80. Before you applied for a visa the Australian immigration people would have never heard of you. All they need is a brief background of who you are, where you're from and what you've been doing for at least the last 10 years. (I've always had my CV online so could go back to when I left school)

From what I've gathered over past visits to Oz and discussions online, I think if you're from the UK they wouldn't study the forms so much if youve had a steady working life without big gaps in it. Or been on holiday to "normal" places like Europe or USA and obviously Australia for a couple of weeks or more at a time. They look a bit more, and would ask more questions, if holidays were to places like Bolivia, Cuba or Vietnam etc. Places more out of the ordinary for what they would assume English people would go to.

If you can't remember exact dates for holidays or work, just put the best you can and if there is a query they'll be back to you to fill in any gaps.

Thanks for the info, but I don’t think Cuba and Vietnam are considered unusual places for English people to holiday, in fact they’ve become THE places to visit in recent years! 

2 minutes ago, Rosiejaq said:

Thanks for the info, but I don’t think Cuba and Vietnam are considered unusual places for English people to holiday, in fact they’ve become THE places to visit in recent years! 

I'm just going by the way the immigration people might be thinking. I've possibly seen too many programmes of Nothing to Declare on tv? 😀 They question a lot of people at Customs if they've come from places possibly associated with drugs.

2 hours ago, Marilyn said:

For those that have already had their visa granted please could I ask the following as I want to make sure I get it right.

1. When you scanned and emailed form 80, colour page of passport and police certificate did you do it as 3 seperate documents on the same email?

2. Did you have the colour page of passport and copy of police certificate certified?

Thank you

Not certified but did send several emails to ensure not too big as they can get lost in the ether if attachments too large. 

• Thanks 1

We made a paper application for a 143 visa back in July 2015 and were advised that form 80, passport page and police certificates had to be submitted as hard copy paper submissions and we were not allowed to send them via email.  So, we sent them Royal Mail International Tracked which took 2 weeks.  We sent certified copies of the police certificates and passport photo pages as the invitation documents that we received asked for this - so didn't want to risk incurring delays.

2 hours ago, surfersj said:

We made a paper application for a 143 visa back in July 2015 and were advised that form 80, passport page and police certificates had to be submitted as hard copy paper submissions and we were not allowed to send them via email.  So, we sent them Royal Mail International Tracked which took 2 weeks.  We sent certified copies of the police certificates and passport photo pages as the invitation documents that we received asked for this - so didn't want to risk incurring delays.

We applied in March 2015 - submitted Form 80, scanned passports and scanned Police checks by e-mail.  Everything accepted OK. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Is it acceptable to scan everything in and email to family in Australia  to print out and post by courier - might be bit quicker and safer? 

We applied in March 2015 - submitted Form 80, scanned passports and scanned Police checks by e-mail.  Everything accepted OK - this was Jan 2018.

• Thanks 1

Has anybody had any experience of sending unaccompanied baggage to Australia from the UK?  Not talking about removal of household goods, but a largish suitcase (mainly clothing etc.) that will arrive more or less at the same time as me, so that I can actually travel with the minimum of luggage.  Be interested to have any recommendations please.

We did this using Sendmybag.com. Yes it is about £130 for a large suitcase but it’s cheaper than an airlines excess baggage. They were very efficient. Some one collected our case a few days before we travelled and it arrived in Aus a couple of days after us. I think it took about a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LBee said:

Try UniBaggage, I have used them in the past (not to Australia), but found them inexpensive and reliable, you can get a quote online.

Edited this comment my previous comment is incorrect.  they do Australia - apologise too much in a rush

Edited by Marilyn