Guest guest36187

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Don’t do it. If you apply for 143 before you have been granted 173, you have to cancel 173 and start afresh with new queue date for 143 so means starting in the queue all over again!! 

👍

No I wouldn't. Thanks 

With the 173 my wife and I have got we were given a date of 26th March to be in Australia by to validate our visas. That works out as being the 1 year anniversary of when we got our UK police checks. We're going over for a couple of weeks in March for a validation trip and will go back again permanently in May. 

We're also in the process of applying for our 143 and haven't been told yet to supply any other paperwork. 

Edited by freedy50

16 minutes ago, freedy50 said:

With the 173 my wife and I have got we were given a date of 26th March to be in Australia by to validate our visas. That works out as being the 1 year anniversary of when we got our UK police checks. We're going over for a couple of weeks in March for a validation trip and will go back again permanently in May. 

We're also in the process of applying for our 143 and haven't been told yet to supply any other paperwork. 

Hi congrats, so are you not ready to move permanentlyin March? Did you get the police check before they requested it ? Or did you just decide yourselfs ? 

What date did you put your first application in ?. 

Thanks 

On 24/01/2019 at 08:04, Britgirl29 said:

It's called the Lifetime Health Cover - the section called New migrations in this link has more details 

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/lifetimehealthcover.htm

It says full Medicare cover so it may not apply on a bridging visa as they are on a reciprocal medicare card, but my parents wanted to get private health insurance anyway particularly as my Mum needs a knee replacement. 

And I was wrong it's not technically a  tax, you just pay extra insurance fees 

Hi, we're looking into visa options for my MIL (lives in Scotland) - if we apply for an onshore visa (115/ 804) will she have reciprocal healthcare while the visa application is being processed? (if you know) 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Hi, we're looking into visa options for my MIL (lives in Scotland) - if we apply for an onshore visa (115/ 804) will she have reciprocal healthcare while the visa application is being processed? (if you know) 

Thanks!

I believe 115 remaining relative visa is only an off shore option with an extremely long wait  list - far longer than 804 ( for this the parent  must be over 65 and the age limit is increasing to 67)

With an offshore application there may be a no further stay condition on any further visitor visas applied for to enter Australia 

9 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I believe 115 remaining relative visa is only an off shore option with an extremely long wait  list - far longer than 804 ( for this the parent  must be over 65 and the age limit is increasing to 67)

With an offshore application there may be a no further stay condition on any further visitor visas applied for to enter Australia 

Thank you for sharing that - she is 67. We would like to bring hr over & apply onshore so it sounds like we'll have to apply for 804. Do you know if she will be entitled to reciprocal healthcare while her application is being processed? 

I believe so but be aware that reciprocal cover is only basic.  Should she need further care or ambulance / hospital etc this is not covered and will be very expensive which is why most bridging visa applicants take out private health insurance as well. She will also pay for prescriptions/  medications etc. And I believe cannot claim any social security benefits. Best to check properly though. I think at 67 she  might look at 864 visa but this is contributory. The balance of family test , medicals etc still have to be met. The medical will be taken nearer the time of processing so if her health deteriorates she may not get through and could be asked to leave. Wait lists are increasing all the time,  the Australian government reckons on 30 years as there are already over 50000 in queue and only around 1200 granted per year. 

Should point out this is only what I've learnt over the years so please double check with an agent if possible 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I believe so but be aware that reciprocal cover is only basic.  Should she need further care or ambulance / hospital etc this is not covered and will be very expensive which is why most bridging visa applicants take out private health insurance as well. She will also pay for prescriptions/  medications etc. And I believe cannot claim any social security benefits. Best to check properly though. I think at 67 she  might look at 864 visa but this is contributory. The balance of family test , medicals etc still have to be met. The medical will be taken nearer the time of processing so if her health deteriorates she may not get through and could be asked to leave. Wait lists are increasing all the time,  the Australian government reckons on 30 years as there are already over 50000 in queue and only around 1200 granted per year. 

Should point out this is only what I've learnt over the years so please double check with an agent if possible 

Thank you for sharing your feedback, really appreciate it! We intend to arrange private health care for her but weren't sure what the reciprocal care actually covers (if anything) - very difficult to find info online about it. 

Try this https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/health

parts say 

The standard of healthcare in Australia is very good. Under the reciprocal healthcare arrangements, British citizens resident in the UK and travelling on a British passport are entitled to limited subsidised health services from Medicare for medically necessary treatment while visiting Australia. This does not cover pre-existing conditions, or treatment that does not require prompt attention. These provisions do not apply to non-visitors, for example those who are studying in Australia. Other exclusions under the reciprocal agreement include pharmaceuticals when not a hospital in-patient, use of ambulance services and medical evacuations, which are very expensive.

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times

The visa processing time updated on 25th January for end December on the above website is very disheartening - never seen that comment for 143 before.

173 - Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

143 -  Processing times are not available for this visa

Same with the new reply to the test email. Just shows the month rather than the date. Seems like immi realises we are all aware of lengthening wait times and perhaps is trying to hide the real situation?  Or it may be something to do with the govt trying to reduce 99 visas to 10 - and we don’t know which ones will go yet! If I had to guess I would say they would get rid of the non contributory ones - we cost them too much even with the contributions we do make ! I also read that most migrants over there are on bridging visas which again they are looking at. From other posts it also seems they can stop an existing visa when they want  - as they did for a while with the 804 back in 2014-15 and some other visas  

Immigration is really a hot topic for the Australian govt at present and my gut feeling is that it’s all going to get harder and longer to get a visa  - whether this would change with a different government I’m not sure  

Whatever,  it’s very disheartening !! 

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2019 at 13:09, CEJ said:

Hi congrats, so are you not ready to move permanentlyin March? Did you get the police check before they requested it ? Or did you just decide yourselfs ? 

What date did you put your first application in ?. 

Thanks 

Sorry, just seen this.  We just waited until we were told what to do by our agent who get told by the Immi people. About the beginning of March last year we were told to do medicals and police checks so these were done at that time.

19 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Same with the new reply to the test email. Just shows the month rather than the date. Seems like immi realises we are all aware of lengthening wait times and perhaps is trying to hide the real situation?  Or it may be something to do with the govt trying to reduce 99 visas to 10 - and we don’t know which ones will go yet! If I had to guess I would say they would get rid of the non contributory ones - we cost them too much even with the contributions we do make ! I also read that most migrants over there are on bridging visas which again they are looking at. From other posts it also seems they can stop an existing visa when they want  - as they did for a while with the 804 back in 2014-15 and some other visas  

Immigration is really a hot topic for the Australian govt at present and my gut feeling is that it’s all going to get harder and longer to get a visa  - whether this would change with a different government I’m not sure  

Whatever,  it’s very disheartening !! 

The current Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, was Minister for Immigration for a year between 2013 and 2014. I don't know if he would be anymore sympathetic about this because of that?

Also he's only been Prime Minister since August and they've got to have another election by May! Don't know if that would make things worse?

It's annoying that the dates have stopped like that. I want to know processing times and dates for a 173 to 143. I'm sure it can't be  3 to 4 years like the other visas?

I'm waiting to try the automatic emails on the 31st to see if the end of the month makes any difference in getting a reply?

Scott Morrison  is actually the guy who stopped the boats and set up off shore processing on Nauru I think - so doubt he will be more sympathetic!! 

From what I can gather they are assessing 173 - 143 applications with a queue date of March 2018 but I don’t know how long the process is and AOS is taking over 4 months now for people who have already applied for it. I think there are more rigorous checks on the sponsor. 

• Like 2

Judging from other posts in this forum I would guess people who lodged in May/June 2015 perhaps, I haven't seen any for July 2015  being granted, only asking for documents and perhaps AOS which is taking over 4 months to process. . When did you lodge yours? 

Msybe you can check the time dates under people's posts - they're very helpful. 

Edited by LindaH27

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Scott Morrison  is actually the guy who stopped the boats and set up off shore processing on Nauru I think - so doubt he will be more sympathetic!! 

From what I can gather they are assessing 173 - 143 applications with a queue date of March 2018 but I don’t know how long the process is and AOS is taking over 4 months now for people who have already applied for it. I think there are more rigorous checks on the sponsor. 

So if it's currently 10 months behind with the processing, it could mean that I might know something by about October/November and I'll already be living in Australia much before then anyway. ☺

My son will be ok doing the AOS even with more rigerous checks