Guest guest36187

I can only speak for us. we are totally self funded (no Medicare) on a temporary long term visa so we can only get overseas visitors cover, we have top cover Medibank. Not cheap $11,000 for two, but we have never paid anything extra for anything. Everything medical is covered, but dental has a limit. Eye checks aren’t covered, I think because they are free over a certain age, but do get money towards glasses. We get prescriptions at the PBS(?) rate, blood tests at the Medicare rate, free mammograms, because although not PR we are residents. A bit illogical.

On a bad year last year, 2017, I claimed more than I had paid in. Not too far behind last year either, you get better value the older you get!!!

it must depend how much is covered on the cost of your cover. If and when we ever get PR, then the equivalent top cover price would be cheaper for us at the moment.

It is a bit of a worry though how much it increases annually.

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

is it not possible to pay for extra options and add dental  cover as I thought you could - also for ambulance etc? 

Yes but there is usually a shortfall between what they pay for a service and what the doctor or hospital or dentist charges. 

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you I was getting confused as I thought medicare  paid approx 70% and then you took out private health insurance to fund the remaining 30%!

I've used Medicare under the UK reciprocal agreement on visits and never yet been asked to pay anything apart from a dentist visit which cost me $80 for a filling - but that seems cheap now having read other posts. I did pay for my prescriptions though but nothing for a foot X-ray.  

Edited by LindaH27

On 07/01/2019 at 13:58, apparition said:

Hello.

Now that the Contributory Visa processing time is exceeding 49 months, can we apply for a visit visa with a Longer Visa Validity Duration (3 or 5 years)?

The Longer Visa Validity Duration availability seems to be directed towards 103 applicants and not 143 applicants, since, amongst other clues, it asks for a parent visa Queue Date and disallows a parent visa Application Date.

Has anyone considered applying for Longer Visa Validity Duration, while 143 is processing?

Thank you.

My Wife and I went out on a 600 Holiday visa, while waiting this ran out, having spent just over 13 months in OZ/ Bali.

now back in the UK.

Just got so good news, our Daughter/Sponsor has had the Acceptance Letter from the AOS.  

• Like 7
  • Congratulations 2

2 hours ago, jimbob007 said:

My Wife and I went out on a 600 Holiday visa, while waiting this ran out, having spent just over 13 months in OZ/ Bali.

now back in the UK.

Just got so good news, our Daughter/Sponsor has had the Acceptance Letter from the AOS.  

Congrats jimbob007 hope you don’t have to wait too much longer!

15 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you I was getting confused as I thought medicare  paid approx 70% and then you took out private health insurance to fund the remaining 30%! 

No, that's not the case.  

The difference between what the doctor charges and what Medicare pays is called  'the Gap".  Health insurance does not cover you for that, you just have to pay it.  

Where you've paid nothing, you've encountered a system called "bullk billling".   You pay nothing, and the doctor charges Medicare direct.   Obviously he gets less money because he only gets the Medicare fee - but it saves the doctor a lot in staff and record-keeping, because he doesn't need to process individual payments and can just send Medicare one big bill.  So some doctors think it's worth it.

Dentists, optical (apart from eye tests), physiotherapy and similar therapies are not covered by Medicare at all, so you need private health insurance for those.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, that's not the case.  

The difference between what the doctor charges and what Medicare pays is called  'the Gap".  Health insurance does not cover you for that, you just have to pay it.  

Where you've paid nothing, you've encountered a system called "bullk billling".   You pay nothing, and the doctor charges Medicare direct.   Obviously he gets less money because he only gets the Medicare fee - but it saves the doctor a lot in staff and record-keeping, because he doesn't need to process individual payments and can just send Medicare one big bill.  So some doctors think it's worth it.

Dentists, optical (apart from eye tests), physiotherapy and similar therapies are not covered by Medicare at all, so you need private health insurance for those.

I go to a bulk billing practice, so I pay nothing at all.  I do have to pay for prescriptions, but that's the only difference from the UK where I got free prescriptions.  I do pay for dental and glasses, but I always had to pay for those in the UK anyway, so again no difference.  Ambulances are free in Queensland, but I believe you have to pay for those in other states.  

I decided against private health insurance - I never had it in the UK and so I don't miss it.  I use a fantastic medical practice where you can choose which doctor to see according to their particular fields of interest/speciality and book appointments on line - never have to wait - a d blood tests and xrays are done at the same place.  It's really impressive, way ahead of anything I ever experienced in an NHS practice. 

• Like 2

Hi Catlady you are very lucky, we have found Bulk billing practices thin on the ground and people having to wait a long time to see the Drs. The Drs we used to go to near our daughters however did sometimes bulk bill at their discretion when it was a short follow up appointment for instance and we too have found the Drs good here and X rays etc done amazingly quickly at PRP. We are about to start at a new Drs practise having moved into our renovated house and  I understand some of the Drs there only bill privately so will have to choose carefully as it is a fairly small practise, we are not in a city.  I hope you are enjoying life in Queensland.

• Like 1

Hello! 

Has anyone applied for the aged parent contributory visa (864 and 884) and have an idea of how long it takes? 

The immigration website doesn’t give average processing times as the number is too small. I got excited when I saw on the department email reply that they are up to 27 October 2016 but it looks like from other posts that hasn’t changed in a long time! 

Thanks! 

35 minutes ago, vicky bajwa said:

All dears 

Anyone recently got aos call please update here. Also please mention aos lodgement date if possible. 

How much time after aos acceptance letter immi will take for 2nd Vac request. Please put some light here.

Vicky Bajea if you complete your timeline everyone will be able to follow your progress the same as you can follow theirs. It helps everyone get the most out of this site.  Regards Shelagh

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vicky bajwa said:

All dears 

Anyone recently got aos call please update here. Also please mention aos lodgement date if possible. 

How much time after aos acceptance letter immi will take for 2nd Vac request. Please put some light here.

Vicky I know you’re anxious but you’ve asked this question lots of times and the simple answer is that people don’t know! It’s like asking how long is a piece of string?  We are all in the same boat waiting - only immi and the government know what’s happening ( and I suspect immi don’t know as much as the government!)  I do sympathise with you but no one can really tell you what happens for everybody else  - they can only update their own progress  

Please would you add your own progress with dates after your signature as others have done . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Vicky I know you’re anxious but you’ve asked this question lots of times and the simple answer is that people don’t know! It’s like asking how long is a piece of string?  We are all in the same boat waiting - only immi and the government know what’s happening ( and I suspect immi don’t know as much as the government!)  I do sympathise with you but no one can really tell you what happens for everybody else  - they can only update their own progress  

Please would you add your own progress with dates after your signature as others have done . 

How to add signature or timeline . I don't know . Please help regarding this als0

Ok. Go to the top of the page and on top right hand corner are three lines. Click on these. This opens up to shows list - click on Account, then scroll down to Account settings. Click on signature and scroll down to empty box. Write all your details and dates in here then press Save. Your details should now show up under any posts you make in future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi Catlady you are very lucky, we have found Bulk billing practices thin on the ground and people having to wait a long time to see the Drs. The Drs we used to go to near our daughters however did sometimes bulk bill at their discretion when it was a short follow up appointment for instance and we too have found the Drs good here and X rays etc done amazingly quickly at PRP. We are about to start at a new Drs practise having moved into our renovated house and  I understand some of the Drs there only bill privately so will have to choose carefully as it is a fairly small practise, we are not in a city.  I hope you are enjoying life in Queensland.

There are plenty of bulk billing practices in my area.  Have you tried searching for bulk billing practices using healthengine.com.au?  I'm not sure that a link to it will be allowed on the forum, so I'll send it to you by pm.  

• Like 1

103 Queue update

queue date.        In queue.      Reduced by

03/05/2010.         570.                20

23/05/2011.       5400.                50

01/05/2012.        7610.                60

01/05/2014.       13130.               70

16/06/2016.       30550.               80

2 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

103 Queue update

queue date.        In queue.      Reduced by

03/05/2010.         570.                20

23/05/2011.       5400.                50

01/05/2012.        7610.                60

01/05/2014.       13130.               70

16/06/2016.       30550.               80

Thanks for that...

noob question - how do you get that information? I remember seeing an email address that you send a blank email to but I couldn't get a response after several attempts

Secondly with the dates above, I assume that queue dates not listed but in that date range (2013) had some progress?

Thanks  palaceboy1. Our queue has gone down 7350 in 2 and a half years which is encouraging. Lots of drop outs or transfers I guess. Ashy B you can send the test email but don't put 'test' in the subject line as I think that doesn't work anymore. If you can get the auto reply there is a link to the queue date calculator for the 103 visa and you can put your own queue date in to see how many are in front of you. I keep a note periodically of the date I am checking and queue position to see how quickly or not it is moving. I try not to check too often......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashy B said:

Thanks for that...

noob question - how do you get that information? I remember seeing an email address that you send a blank email to but I couldn't get a response after several attempts

Secondly with the dates above, I assume that queue dates not listed but in that date range (2013) had some progress?

I have a selection of queue dates from the time we entered the queue and it’s just a matter of deducting from the previous update . The figures for 2013 are the same as 2014 so I did not post individuallly .

If anyone has an interest in a particular queue date I could include it in future updates

17 hours ago, Ruth7862 said:

Thanks  palaceboy1. Our queue has gone down 7350 in 2 and a half years which is encouraging. Lots of drop outs or transfers I guess. Ashy B you can send the test email but don't put 'test' in the subject line as I think that doesn't work anymore. If you can get the auto reply there is a link to the queue date calculator for the 103 visa and you can put your own queue date in to see how many are in front of you. I keep a note periodically of the date I am checking and queue position to see how quickly or not it is moving. I try not to check too often......

Thanks @Ruth7862 - will give it another go. what's the correct email address?

15 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

I have a selection of queue dates from the time we entered the queue and it’s just a matter of deducting from the previous update . The figures for 2013 are the same as 2014 so I did not post individuallly .

If anyone has an interest in a particular queue date I could include it in future updates

@palaceboy1 - thanks for that; didn't realise it was something you had to manually work out.

I'm happy to check the queue date calculator once or twice a year as we still have some way to go yet

Edited by Ashy B