Guest guest36187

Hi all,

New to the forum and thought I'd sign up so I can start contributing rather than just reading through...

My situation, we're both citizens (having migrated 10 years ago).

Applied for the subclass 103 visa for my parents. Their queue date is 10 April 2013.

Any ideas on what we should expect to happen? looking back through the posts they are assessing applications with a queue date of Aug 2010.

So it is it a case of wait a few more years before we hear anything? The last contact we had from the dept. was the letter advising us of the queue date.

On 10/11/2018 at 22:16, Judy said:

From my  email yesterday. 

OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 103)
When your application is allocated to a case officer, your eligibility for a visa will be assessed and if you are found to meet eligibility requirements your application will be placed in a queue and assigned a queue date to wait for a visa place.  

We are currently assessing applications for a queue date lodged in March 2017.

We are currently assessing applications for visa grant with a queue date in August 2010.

On 12/11/2018 at 15:35, palaceboy1 said:

The 103 queue has reduced  today for the following queue dates

23/05/2011.       100

01/05/2014.         20

16/06/2016.          10

total.                      130

Display approximate queue position
Queue selected: Subclass 103 - Parent (Class AX)
Queue date entered: 10 April 2013

Approximate number of persons ahead of you in the queue: 10600      - This number includes applicants being considered for visa grant this program year. Numbers in the queue are affected by grants, refusals, withdrawals and the queuing of successful review cases.

Here's an extract from the queue date calculator, having put in the date noted.

Best regards.

Thanks @Alan Collett - thought as much.

Assuming they process the maximum 1,500 visa's per year, that's still 7 years away. It looks like they also don't process the maximum so could be another few years on top.

With no further news on the temp 3/5 year parent visas (last I checked the bill was still stuck in parliament); is a subclass 600 the next low-cost option?

The subclass 600 would let them stay for 12 months in an 18 month period; and possibly get visa for a 5 year duration (as they are already in the queue).

We have been in the 103 queue for 3years and it has reduced by over 9000 , I suspect that there are a high number of drop outs when the time comes . So who knows for queue date in 2013 could be 7 years or 3 years . Another thing I was wondering about is of those 1500 visas granted how many actually make the move or are they using dual nationality to travel to and from

I don’t think it can be dual nationality as my  understanding is that dual nationality is only possible once you gain citizenship rather than PR. PR only allows travel for 5 years,  after which you need to apply for RRV or citizenship which takes about 4-5 years and a long period of actual residence in Australia - or so I believe. Happy to be corrected!

Also they are not granting the full amount of visas , either 103 or 143. Last two years the 103 visas have only had 1300 or so granted out of possible 1500 and  for 143 visas around 6000 out of possible 7175.

The Australian government has also - in last few days - flagged up a possible further reduction in the number of visas granted from next year. Two years ago it dropped from a total c.190000 to c183000.  Last year it dropped to  c. 162000  now they’re talking of a possible further drop of 30000 from next year taking it to only a possible 130000 visas granted in total  obviously that figure is for all immigrants. 

So it’s difficult to judge how long people will have to wait for either visa. 

Current government thinking published online (have lost the link as website has changed!) says 6 years for 143 and 30 for 103. There are now almost as many people in queue for 143 as there are for 103 - over 50000 for 103 and over 48000 for 143 so even with big dropouts  and with future reductions in actual grants it will still take a long time. 

44 minutes ago, Karen j said:

You can only use dual nationality to travel to and from for so long, as I understand it. Don’t you have to get a residents return after five years? I think you can only get that after spending two of the previous five years actually living in Australia?

What qualifies as actual living ? We spend the winters in Spain in a Motorhome on campsites , the official rules state if you stay over 183 days you should register with the Spanish authorities also vehicles be on Spanish plates , there are loads of brits on these sites who do not register and are effectively living in 2 countries

42 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

Great news there has been an improvement on the processing times for both 143 and 173 (was 43 months and 48 months) We need some uplifting news!

75 per cent of applications processed 90 per cent of applications processed
42 months 45 months

I do wonder how true this is though as we’re on 39.5 months and haven’t heard anything at all so if something happens in the next few weeks Aos will have to move itself to reach even the 45 month target!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I do think the processing times relate to the wait time of the visas they are actually processing at that time eg June 2015 plus 42 months is December 2018? 

So August 2015 plus 42 months is February 2019 at a minimum? 

Hi if it is and it’s early December they will really have to move!  I can’t see it being processed until July next year...the beginning of the new processing year as I think June 2015 took all the visas they’re willing to grant during this year!  Sorry to sound so pessimistic but we’ve been waiting so long and being treated so badly as regards processing etc. that I don’t see things changing dramatically.

Well December 2018 would be 42 months and obviously March 2019  if 45 months for June 15 applicants  

But I actually agree with you! In fact given the queue at end June 2015 I’m very concerned that next years visa allowance will still be working on June 2015 applications. Such an awful prospect especially when 2015 applicants thought it was only a 18- 24 months wait! 

Apparently govt is also saying it’s a longer waitlist as they’re having to be more  careful in vetting applications as there have been some fraudulent ones.

I see no prospect of my  visa happening for many years with an application date of June 2017 so you’re not the only pessimistic one!!  

I know we should just get on with things but it’s hard !!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

We have been in the 103 queue for 3years and it has reduced by over 9000 , I suspect that there are a high number of drop outs when the time comes . So who knows for queue date in 2013 could be 7 years or 3 years . Another thing I was wondering about is of those 1500 visas granted how many actually make the move or are they using dual nationality to travel to and from

I don't check the queue calculator that often but here's the dates/queue lengths since we lodged:

02/09/13 - 21,980

22/04/16 - 16,010

22/11/16 - 14,670

09/03/18 - 12,610

22/11/18 - 10,600

In an ideal world 10,600 in the queue at a rate of 1,500 per year makes it just over 7 years left. However seeing what has been happening; I think it could be another 10 years...

The ever shifting ending is making me lean more towards getting a subclass 600 visa to tide them over.

That may help. From what I’ve seen on this and other forums the most likely outcome is a visa with 3 year validity and  a 12 months in 18  months stay and a must maintain private health insurance condition which is expensive - I believe about £800 per person per year. They will ask for proof of this  

Also immi seem reluctant to allow a further application for a second time after the visa runs out or only allow for a shorter period. 

I do feel that the proposed long stay parent visa won’t happen unfortunately but  that’s only my opinion. They realised that after a maximum 10 years a lot of parents could be too old and frail and would resist leaving - and face deportation and the resultant outcry. 

Whichever visa older people apply for will probably have the health requirement attached so if people have had health issues (especially if living on shore and therefore probably easily checked) they run the risk of not passing the medical and thereby not getting the grant.  

Australia really only wants young people who work and pay tax as like every other country they face an ageing population who need looking after,  which is expensive. Sorry  to be pessimistic but it seems a realistic view of parental immigration at present. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

Sorry  to be pessimistic but it seems a realistic view of parental immigration at present. 

I agree with you, from a personal POV it's not ideal but looking at the bigger picture you can sort of understand the rationale.

Their website does say that they may give 5 year visas (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#About) if applicants are already in the 103 visa queue.

The question would be; would they grant another 3/5 year visa after the initial one expires and they still haven't processed the 103 visa (I don't think there is a definitive answer to that)

PHI is a cost, but in the grand scheme of things (BUPA quote says $4,500 for a couple per year); it's a manageable amount.

6 hours ago, Ashy B said:

I agree with you, from a personal POV it's not ideal but looking at the bigger picture you can sort of understand the rationale.

Their website does say that they may give 5 year visas (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#About) if applicants are already in the 103 visa queue.

The question would be; would they grant another 3/5 year visa after the initial one expires and they still haven't processed the 103 visa (I don't think there is a definitive answer to that)

PHI is a cost, but in the grand scheme of things (BUPA quote says $4,500 for a couple per year); it's a manageable amount.

Thanks for the info. However I’m extremely surprised that only 103 applicants can apply for a 600 visa with a 5 year validity  when the time is already probably passing that for  recent 143 applicants from 2016 onwards as some  June 2015 applicants still haven’t been approached to begin preparing documents and global processing times are approaching 4 years. It appears from reading the info that health requirements must also be met and therefore may possibly have to have Medicals? 

That is something new I think? I must have a good look through the new website and see what - if anything- is different 

On 21/11/2018 at 14:21, Karen j said:

You can only use dual nationality to travel to and from for so long, as I understand it. Don’t you have to get a residents return after five years? I think you can only get that after spending two of the previous five years actually living in Australia?

When will you get your visa, please let us know. Thanks

On 17/11/2018 at 17:38, muffin72 said:

interested in applying for 143 visa Form 47PA   the new one   the question regarding  question 13   do any members of your family even if not immigrating) have or have held  visa   How far afield in the family would we have to go   For instance my daughter is visiting this month and therefore would have a visa while IO am applying  but my grandsonm visited Austgra;lia 5 years ago  so do I need to give details about him?   They also ask  When did you l;ive in Australia  do they also mean you have to tell them when you visited as a  holiday maker  not just when you came with the 410 visa.

Hope we are right, we checked the definition of ‘family unit’ on the official government web site. So have not included our grown up children as they are over 18, or 23 at oldest age mentioned, and are not dependent on us, and not allowed to be included in our application. Any way our application is in and until the far off day we get a CO we won’t know. 

Quite some time ago somebody (sorry, can't remember who), posted some very useful information about combining(?) linking(?) UK State and private pensions into the Australian system, for those who are working - like my daughter.

I have searched for the post but without success so far - if anybody can point me to the posts(s) I'd be very grateful.  

Presumably, retired people who are taking their pensions from the UK would just transfer funds from their UK bank, and it would be treated as income?