Guest guest36187

Hi everyone , Thought  I would share my experience of finding a job having been inPerth for a few months. It was a concern of mine as like most on the 143 visa I am a mature person ( older) and might not be as desirable as the younger applicants ( more ways than one) . Realistically Ageism must exist if an employer has a certain profile in his mind for his/her idea of the ideal candidate. So I knew that as Perth has a higher unemployment rate than it used to , I might struggle to get paid  work. After our planned few weeks off recovering from the stress of selling up and moving over , the job hunt began. I have a full work history in sales and was surprised and a little disappointed when my skills were not snapped up. I am confident in my ability but found that initially I had to adjust my cv and application , generally work hard to proceed past initial job application.  I was boosted by some interviews, video interviews, second interviews but it took a few goes  to get a yes!. Ironically a second yes came from a previous application two days into my job so I declined. The new job wasn’t all I hoped but a third yes came after a little follow up and I start my new role in new property sales this week. So if you need or want to work , keep positive and keep trying and something will turn up . It might be on day one but if not keep trying. I would say that as every where who you know not what you know can help. Anyone who is worried or trying and would like to chat tactics feel free to respond in the forum or pm me. I’m not a careers expert but I would be glad to share my experiences and knowledge gained. I will plug my role as a new homes salesperson in the Perth area another day !. 

Welcome to Australia to all the recent arrivals and to the waiters , your turn will come . 

Good luck all! 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, bridgie said:

Similar situation to the other two posters. We left Oz at the end of August and because we had to apply off shore for another 600 visa, we applied on landing in Doha. Our original 600 was all singing all dancing and allowed us to spend nearly two years in Oz. We applied for another exactly the same.

Heard two days after we arrived back in Spain. Immigration were not very happy that we had spent so long in Oz and as such they awarded us another three months only and told that when we leave Oz the next time we would have to stay off shore for a considerable time (they didn't quantify what a considerable time was).

Because I, perhaps naively, included a letter explaining what we had been doing in Oz during our visit.
I mentioned we had travelled a lot both in Australia and NZ. We carried out baby sitting for our daughter two days a week when available and to give something back as a thank you to Oz, my wife helped out at Salvos one day a week and I helped clear trails with Parks Victoria one day a month. All of this was done when we were not travelling.

Immigration took the view that we were not tourists and could be potentially taking work from Australians. Baby sitting should not be on a regular basis and should be for no more than 12 months.

As we have all mentioned before there seems to be little in the way of clarity and uniformity.

At the end of the day it's their game and their rules.

Wow we’ve watched the border protection programme on tv and people are refused entry on a tourist visa because they say they are doing things for no pay eg babysitting and voluntary work, or work for accommodation and food.  Immi don’t seem to look on this kindly at all ...so I hope all will be ok for you. Best of luck

21 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Hi everyone , Thought  I would share my experience of finding a job having been inPerth for a few months. It was a concern of mine as like most on the 143 visa I am a mature person ( older) and might not be as desirable as the younger applicants ( more ways than one) . Realistically Ageism must exist if an employer has a certain profile in his mind for his/her idea of the ideal candidate. So I knew that as Perth has a higher unemployment rate than it used to , I might struggle to get paid  work. After our planned few weeks off recovering from the stress of selling up and moving over , the job hunt began. I have a full work history in sales and was surprised and a little disappointed when my skills were not snapped up. I am confident in my ability but found that initially I had to adjust my cv and application , generally work hard to proceed past initial job application.  I was boosted by some interviews, video interviews, second interviews but it took a few goes  to get a yes!. Ironically a second yes came from a previous application two days into my job so I declined. The new job wasn’t all I hoped but a third yes came after a little follow up and I start my new role in new property sales this week. So if you need or want to work , keep positive and keep trying and something will turn up . It might be on day one but if not keep trying. I would say that as every where who you know not what you know can help. Anyone who is worried or trying and would like to chat tactics feel free to respond in the forum or pm me. I’m not a careers expert but I would be glad to share my experiences and knowledge gained. I will plug my role as a new homes salesperson in the Perth area another day !. 

Welcome to Australia to all the recent arrivals and to the waiters , your turn will come . 

Good luck all! 

Congrats....hope it goes well.  We’ll be looking for work as oldies once we get to Oz as well...both work in hospitality at the mo but have a few strings to our bows! 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gafuk said:

Good luck all! 

Congrats....hope it goes well.  We’ll be looking for work as oldies once we get to Oz as well...both work in hospitality at the mo but have a few strings to our bows! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gafuk said:

Good luck all! 

Will definately get in touch when my turn comes for sure. Did they ask you "where do you see yourself in 10 years time?" ?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

Hospitality is very big here , even if things are not as good the cafes and restaurants are pretty busy 

Wow we’ve watched the border protection programme on tv and people are refused entry on a tourist visa because they say they are doing things for no pay eg babysitting and voluntary work, or work for accommodation and food.  Immi don’t seem to look on this kindly at all ...so I hope all will be ok for you. Best of luck

Thank you for your concern. We return to Oz for three months in October and I will be ringing Immigration to talk about the Off Shore period. At the end of the day we are lucky we have somewhere to wait off shore and there are worse places than Spain to wait[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
  • Like 2

I’m feeling a bit wary at the ominous silence from the new immigration minister who doesn’t appear to have said anything since elected ! Happy to be corrected on this though.  Or am I reading into things??

Also new online visa processing contract tenders seem to include a higher service level for those who are willing to pay more? 

Its all about the money it seems where parents are concerned - best solution would be private insurance for long term aged care maybe then Australia wouldn’t kick off about elderly parents costing money! 

Hi everyone , hope some can give answer for my stupid questions. I am still gather documents for Visa 143. I have a step brother in Germany and our relationship is not very warm. As requirements, I need to get his identity to submit for my parents case, he sent me his certified copy ID by Germany officer in Germany. And his ID also have English in every title. So my confusion is that do I need to get an NATTI translate for his ID because the certified page is all in Germany?

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

@Pertenhall Many congratulations - just proves there’s light at the end of the tunnel.!!?

Best  wishes with the sale of the house - how long have they given you to go over and validate visas? 

Thank you.  We have to be there before 2nd January - the anniversary of our police checks.  So very little time to get anything organised.  We will probably do a quick trip over in November/December just to activate the visas and then come home and hopefully get the house done and dusted.  Can't believe it has actually happened - at last!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pertenhall said:

42 months, 2 weeks and 1 day later AND WE HAVE OUR VISAs.  Can hardly believe it.  Now we just need to sell the house.???

Congratulations you sure where put through the patience wheel! So very happy for you and your family. Thank you for all the valuable information you have provided.

Don't forget to update your signature with the last entry in capitals!

Edited by Marilyn
  • Like 1

Just found this excellent forum! 

Not sure how to add all the dates below the post, however we applied for 143 and this was receipted on 15th June 2015, Invite to complete AOS , police checks and medicals on 22nd March 2018, all done including AoS on 21st August 2018. 

I am hoping we may hear within 3 months about 2nd payment?

All v stressful - really reassuring to read how this is progressing for everybody here.

50 minutes ago, AKB said:

Just found this excellent forum! 

Not sure how to add all the dates below the post, however we applied for 143 and this was receipted on 15th June 2015, Invite to complete AOS , police checks and medicals on 22nd March 2018, all done including AoS on 21st August 2018. 

I am hoping we may hear within 3 months about 2nd payment?

All v stressful - really reassuring to read how this is progressing for everybody here.

Hi and welcome! If you go to the top right hand side where your name is you will see an downward arrow go to Account Settings and on the left hand side under Overview you will see Signature – don’t forget to save.