Guest guest36187

18 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I shouldn’t get too excited, I experienced the constant retrospective changes to immigration affecting thousands of people’s lives when Chris Evans was the Labour Immigration minister. 

It’s not so much excitement it’s more wariness. 

We knew where we stood with Dutton-  it depends who gets the job and how they see it. 

If retrospective measures took effect in the past and the Australian  govt is anti immigration I’m not sure why the proposed AOS changes didn’t actually go ahead. I believe Morrison at the Treasury is in favour of immigration. 

I'm still amazed st how easily and quickly govt personnel changes happen in Australia - in UK it takes place quite slowly.  Is it 6 PMs in 10 years now?

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

It’s not so much excitement it’s more wariness. 

We knew where we stood with Dutton-  it depends who gets the job and how they see it. 

If retrospective measures took effect in the past and the Australian  govt is anti immigration I’m not sure why the proposed AOS changes didn’t actually go ahead. I believe Morrison at the Treasury is in favour of immigration. 

I'm still amazed st how easily and quickly govt personnel changes happen in Australia - in UK it takes place quite slowly.  Is it 6 PMs in 10 years now?

Hopefully they will re-employ the +- 300 staff members he laid off so that they can catch up to the backlog and we can start moving in the waiting room again. My backside has spread from sitting for so long!

Mine too! Reinstating staff -  that’s something to be hoped for but the govt are presently asking businesses to tender for the almost total computerisation (is that even a word?? Digitising??) of visa processes. It almost looks like it could end up as “computer says no!” That could speed up processes but human intervention would always  be needed in more difficult cases. Downsizing the present 99 different visas to 10 is also going to take time so I’m not sure things will move any quicker at present sadly. Also although Dutton had a reputation as a hard man he was probably following the party line on immigration- it would be hard for a single minister to direct policy. It will be interesting to see who is the next minister for home affairs! 

• Like 2

Hi Forum members,

Thanks for all your information so far - I'm really grateful.

I'm having an absolute nightmare understanding one section of the 47PA form:
Part H – Members of the family unit aged 18 years or over (Each member of the family unit aged 18 years or over listed below,
whether they are migrating or not, must also complete a form 47A Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over.)

1) So, I have a sister living in my parent's country. She is married and her life is generally independent from ours.
Should the sentence "child or other dependent family member" be interpreted as " [child] and [other-dependent] " or " [child and other]-dependent".

So, basically should we as children need to fill this section up even if we are not dependent on our parents just because we are the members of the same family ?

If not, the only section to mention our relationship is in: Part J – Details of other family members.
2) Here, should my father and mother both have our names listed in their respective sections?

Sorry for this complicatedly phrased question.

Edited by vika

On 17/08/2018 at 17:32, envinur said:

received an email from a case officer requesting additional documents

What documents did they request on 15-Aug? I assume you submitted the health check and police clearance back in February, when you started preparing documents?

6 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thanks that’s a huge improvement. And 38  - 40 months for 173. 

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to why the wait time has shrunk so much? ?

I think this is the time scale up to the 31st July .. not for future visas that have not been issued yet. Could be wrong!!

3 minutes ago, Jellybean T said:

I think this is the time scale up to the 31st July .. not for future visas that have not been issued yet. Could be wrong!!

That's also my understanding, so certainly hasn't shrunk for me!  Applied July 2015 and was hopeful of visa approval around October/November this year, but now looking like next March  

5 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

But it went up to 56 months a while ago so a drop to 44 months is a big improvement 

It may have gone to 56 months for more recent applications, but as far as I am aware, not as far back as July 2015 applicants.  I think applicants from around this time frame were expecting a processing time of about 40 months - well I certainly was!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, surfersj said:

That's also my understanding, so certainly hasn't shrunk for me!  Applied July 2015 and was hopeful of visa approval around October/November this year, but now looking like next March  

I would still think you could have your visa by the end of this year. It would be nice to have some clarity on the time scales being quoted. Also how many applications are in front of us.... each month is different, there could be lots of applications during May and June just Incase the fees went up for the new financial year and then a drop off for a few months when they didn’t go up. I know we all are waiting much longer than the time schedule expected and it’s very stressful. We are also getting older and may not pass the medical by the time our applications come to the top of the list so you don’t want to sell up just in case. If they can produce a queue for the 103visa why can’t they provide one for the other parent visas. Make life a lot easier for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surfersj said:

Very wise to plan for March 2019. Unfortunately the processes is now moving so slowly many of us are going to be 48/60 months (and much longer for newer applicants). So better to be realistic than to keep being disappointed. These global times don't really mean anything to parents waiting in the queue, sadly it's just false hope to think it's suddenly speeding up.

My parents are in the queue for a subclass 143.

The old man had a health scare last night - "acute pulmonary oedema secondary / hypertensive emergency" last night (fluid in lungs due to heart failure). Thankfully he's out of the woods now, just needs to stay a couple of nights in hospital. 

We've been DIYing their application so far. They're a few years away from having their visa application assessed. Would Dad's health scare warrant going to an Agent for assistance? I'm nervous about the implications this might have on his health assessment when the time comes.

Also, they're in Malaysia whereas I'm in Sydney. I've been coordinating the paperwork to date. Would people recommend an Agent in Sydney or should an Agent also be based where they live? (they aren't too tech savvy but Mum has grasped email and Facebook). 

Edited by Qflyer

19 hours ago, Jellybean T said:

I would still think you could have your visa by the end of this year. It would be nice to have some clarity on the time scales being quoted. Also how many applications are in front of us.... each month is different, there could be lots of applications during May and June just Incase the fees went up for the new financial year and then a drop off for a few months when they didn’t go up. I know we all are waiting much longer than the time schedule expected and it’s very stressful. We are also getting older and may not pass the medical by the time our applications come to the top of the list so you don’t want to sell up just in case. If they can produce a queue for the 103visa why can’t they provide one for the other parent visas. Make life a lot easier for us. 

We lodged 143 June 2015 hoping to get it by this December just waiting on Centerlink 2nd vac 

• Like 1