Guest guest36187

40 minutes ago, VictoriaP said:

Yes she would need full medical insurance. Bupa have an Overseas Visitors policy and have quoted me $187 pcm for Basic Hospital and Your Choice Extras, which is pretty good in my opinion. There is no limit on age for this cover, so even if she is on the BV for 5 years or so, that is definitely affordable.

And yes, there are many 80 years old who would like nothing more to be with their families in their twilight years, rather than being all alone back in the UK!

Plus for the people who mentioned that she would not be eligible to the NHS if she's been in Aus for a couple of years and needs to go back to the UK, I found this on www.gov.uk, so I'm a bit confused as why she wouldn't be eligible - 

Returning to the UK to settle

Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.

Edited by Tulip1

8 hours ago, jimbob007 said:

Hi AOS Applied date  6/2/2018   and Meds done 27/04/2018  they don't seem right ?

She did the initial appllication for the AOS as soon as she could. We didn't rush the medicals as our agent said it would be at least May before they started processing, in which he wasn't wrong!! We didn't want to do them too early in case they had to be done again if it went on for ever..... as it seems to be doing!

• Like 1

On 08/08/2018 at 04:52, MillieB said:

Hi Vika,

I can't answer anymore of your queries but I have just got an email saying my 143 Visa application has been received.  I'm now expecting a very long wait! 

Hi MillieB,

Wow! That's great. Could you kindly tell me how long after you mailed the application did you get the news of progress ?

Thanks so much!!!!

@VictoriaP

Ive been looking myself for a similar product but was told I would need to specify I was looking for cover under visa subclass 10 Bridging Visa A not  overseas visitor  

I looked at Bupa but couldn’t get the policy you quoted.  Bupa have quoted me $194 pcm for similar policy to your mum and I’m in my sixties so younger than your mum. They also said pre existing conditions illnesses and ailments would not be covered for the first twelve months and that they would only cover prescriptions up to $30 per script up to a maximum of $300 per year - and I know medications are not cheap in Australia. Also anything cardiac is restricted so could be liable to big costs. Obviously we all hope nothing like that would be needed but you never know! 

I’m not sure how people get to be classed as settled in UK if they returned? Would you need to have a home to return to and sufficient income to support yourself as I believe you cannot claim benefits for 3 months or so on return ? 

Im just exploring all options due to the length of time the visas are taking 

• Like 1

Well, one step closer.  Our daughter paid the AoS bond today.  Despite already having a Commonwealth bank account and making an appointment she was still at the bank for over 2 hours!  Now just needs to take all the paperwork to Centrelink tomorrow.  Then we wait again.  But at least things are moving!?

• Like 12

On 13/08/2018 at 15:47, LindaH27 said:

You can switch to 864 but  you have to withdraw  your 143 application,  pay a new  first vac and most importantly you start with a new lodgement date so your parents would start again from a much later lodgement date. It doesn’t appear to be  faster any more. There’s been no movement for months and if you go back a few posts Alan Collett posted a reply from PVC which implied processing times for 864 are likely to be aligned with those of 143  

There have also been some articles recently written in Australia  about immigration and apparently they say there are too many people there on bridging  visas 

I think all any of us can do is just be patient and get on with our lives and hope one day to be reunited with our families. IF Australia wants bright young immigrants to work to pay its taxes and develop  the country etc they have to accept that some will want their parents with them too - those parents who contributed to the upbringing and education of those bright young immigrants.! 

On 13/08/2018 at 12:22, Zetta said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it was possible to switch from 143 to 864 since my parents now qualify for it and the queue is shorter, is there a way to switch to 864? (while preserving your position or perhaps the day you qualified for it?)

Hi Zetta,

Yes they can certainly switch and LindaH27 is correct in saying that they will have to forfeit the VAC1 they have already paid for their 143 application. It is also true that they will go to the back of the queue for their 864. However, whilst waiting for their 864 to be processed they can at least live as temporary residents and be with their families until such time as their 864 is hopefully granted. This is exactly the process I am currently going through, as due to my age I am not willing to waste my time waiting for a visa that is years away from being granted, and am tired of the toll - financially and physically that flying out to Australia twice a year is taking on my physical and emotional well being.  It's fine for younger members to hang in there, especially if they're not too far away from their visas being processed, but I neede to look at other options. Happy to chat with your parents if you think it will help.

• Like 2

Just now, LindaH27 said:

@suelear I’m in exactly the same  position as you regarding age and travel and wondering whether to go for the 864 instead. Can you pm me as I have various questions etc 

Just now, LindaH27 said:

@suelear I’m in exactly the same  position as you regarding age and travel and wondering whether to go for the 864 instead. Can you pm me as I have various questions etc 

Yes, will do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

@VictoriaP

Ive been looking myself for a similar product but was told I would need to specify I was looking for cover under visa subclass 10 Bridging Visa A not  overseas visitor  

I looked at Bupa but couldn’t get the policy you quoted.  Bupa have quoted me $194 pcm for similar policy to your mum and I’m in my sixties so younger than your mum. They also said pre existing conditions illnesses and ailments would not be covered for the first twelve months and that they would only cover prescriptions up to $30 per script up to a maximum of $300 per year - and I know medications are not cheap in Australia. Also anything cardiac is restricted so could be liable to big costs. Obviously we all hope nothing like that would be needed but you never know! 

I’m not sure how people get to be classed as settled in UK if they returned? Would you need to have a home to return to and sufficient income to support yourself as I believe you cannot claim benefits for 3 months or so on return ? 

Im just exploring all options due to the length of time the visas are taking 

The NHS can ask for stuff like where you are living in the UK, proof of sale/end of lease in oz, any proof of signing up for utilities. Electoral roll, even a one way ticket might be handy. But basically once you become resident in the UK again you are entitled to NHS treatment. Totally different from being eligible for benefits, though showing you have applied for anything may help prove your residency. 

One thing people need to bear in mind when getting medical insurance in Australia - Ambulances (except in Queensland) are not free. You need them covered on your insurance, and even if you are relying on medicare, you still need to pay for ambulance cover. It is not covered by medicare and a trip of only a few miles can cost thousands of dollars. 

• Thanks 1

Yes I think the policy I was quoted only allowed for 1 or 2 ambulance journeys so it’s not fail safe is it!!

Having said that I’m in awe of the Australia health service , same day gp consultations as a rule, X-rays scanners ultra sound etc all in same building - totally superior to my having to wait for 2-3 weeks for gp and I’ve just waited 3 months for a hospital appointment!! 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2018 at 23:58, David Leask said:

Hi Marylin,

Our sponsor has now got citizenship and we informed IMMI using Form 1022. It seemed to work and we received an acknowledgement.

We also used Form 929 to advise IMMI of a change of address for us and new passport details for my wife.

I would advise that you tell them now rather than wait for Form 80.

Best regards
David

Hi thank you for that I did email them and they said to fill in form 1022 with the changes but it is confusing so does my sponsor fill in the whole document as it says "applicant" or is that all my info and the new changes is for the sponsor.

• Like 1

Has anyone completed a Form 1022 - quite alot of my sponsors details have changed I contacted IMMI and they said to complete said form but I am confused as the front page says "Your details" so would this be all my details and then on page 4 Details of Change this would be all the changes on the Form 40 for the sponsor or does the sponsor fill in the whole document with just my file reference on the document.

11 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

Hi thank you for that I did email them and they said to fill in form 1022 with the changes but it is confusing so does my sponsor fill in the whole document as it says "applicant" or is that all my info and the new changes is for the sponsor.

Hi Marilyn,

I completed Form 1022 myself on the basis that I was the Applicant.  In the box marked 'Information which is no longer current' I referred to the question in the original application and said my daughter was now an Australian citizen.  In the box entitled 'New correct details' I listed my daughters Australian Passport Number and her Citizen Certificate Number.  I think it worked and I received an acknowledgement that they had received the information and that my file had been updated.

David

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, David Leask said:

Hi Marilyn,

I completed Form 1022 myself on the basis that I was the Applicant.  In the box marked 'Information which is no longer current' I referred to the question in the original application and said my daughter was now an Australian citizen.  In the box entitled 'New correct details' I listed my daughters Australian Passport Number and her Citizen Certificate Number.  I think it worked and I received an acknowledgement that they had received the information and that my file had been updated.

David

Thank you David - I will get onto that now - alot of her info has changed like citizenship, address, email and dwellling

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suelear said:

Hi Zetta,

Yes they can certainly switch and LindaH27 is correct in saying that they will have to forfeit the VAC1 they have already paid for their 143 application. It is also true that they will go to the back of the queue for their 864. However, whilst waiting for their 864 to be processed they can at least live as temporary residents and be with their families until such time as their 864 is hopefully granted. This is exactly the process I am currently going through, as due to my age I am not willing to waste my time waiting for a visa that is years away from being granted, and am tired of the toll - financially and physically that flying out to Australia twice a year is taking on my physical and emotional well being.  It's fine for younger members to hang in there, especially if they're not too far away from their visas being processed, but I neede to look at other options. Happy to chat with your parents if you think it will help.

Hi Suelear 

I lodge subclass 173 for my father and my younger brother under the age of 18 as a dependent child on 15th may 2017. I realise this application will take at least 5 years before we hear anything. Now my father here in Australia on visitor visa 600 and has no further stay condition on it. My brother also in Australia visitor 600 but doesn’t have no further stay condition on it. I’m thinking to lodge for 864 on shore. My question to the forum

1. is it possible to apply for 864 while my father has no further stay condition. If not Which way we can apply to remove 8503 condition ? 

2. If we successfully able to lodge 864 are we going to loose our original lodgement date? Or they will swap our application. Also application fees we paid what would happen to that. 

Any other advise please help. 

Thank you 

8 hours ago, vika said:

Hi MillieB,

Wow! That's great. Could you kindly tell me how long after you mailed the application did you get the news of progress ?

Thanks so much!!!!

The application was posted and it was received at PVC on 18 July 18.  They didn't acknowledge it until 7 August 18.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Majhar said:

Hi Suelear 

I lodge subclass 173 for my father and my younger brother under the age of 18 as a dependent child on 15th may 2017. I realise this application will take at least 5 years before we hear anything. Now my father here in Australia on visitor visa 600 and has no further stay condition on it. My brother also in Australia visitor 600 but doesn’t have no further stay condition on it. I’m thinking to lodge for 864 on shore. My question to the forum

1. is it possible to apply for 864 while my father has no further stay condition. If not Which way we can apply to remove 8503 condition ? 

2. If we successfully able to lodge 864 are we going to loose our original lodgement date? Or they will swap our application. Also application fees we paid what would happen to that. 

Thank you 

People  have to be over 65.5 years before they can apply for 864. 

No one can apply for another visa onshore with no further stay attached to existing visa. The condition cannot be removed as far as Im aware  

Yes you will lose your original lodgement date and you will also lose what you paid for the first application. 

Edited by LindaH27

14 hours ago, suelear said:

Hi Zetta,

HI Suelear,

Thats a very good point. Their submission is just 9 months from the processing now (May to Feb), but with things moving very slowly I think it can become 2-3 years until it gets to them.

I think we are better off waiting but thats a good option if they get impatient. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Majhar said:

Hi Suelear 

Thank you 

Hi Majhar,

600 visas all have some conditions such as:

8558 - MAXIMUM 12 MONTHS STAY IN 18 MONTHS
8101 - NO WORK
8201 - MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY

even if there is no further stay they have to go out every year and stay away for 6 months. Are you sure their visa has no condition?!

600 visa normally has mandatory no further stay now. - meaning it’s usually always added to the visa especially on family visas  

600 visa also normally only allows 12 months stay in any 18 months  - the no further stay condition is to prevent people from applying for onshore  visas to remain in Australia  and after 12 months would have to leave Australia and not re enter for another 6 months  

Im given to understand that sometimes if a no further stay has  been imposed on one type of visa it is likely it would be imposed on any other visitor visa subsequently applied for  

Is your father over 65.5 years?  If he is younger he cannot apply for onshore 864 visa anyway even if you did manage to get the condition removed. Also  as he has applied for 2 year temporary 173 visa rather than 143 please be aware  that he only has two years from grant of 173 visa to apply for 143 and the waiting list is getting longer all the time with the possibility of the 2nd Vac increasing dramatically and also you would have to pay AOS which you would also have to do on 864. Your father would also have to take out private health insurance as he would not be covered under Medicare until 864 was granted which could be many years in the future. 

Australia government is really making it very difficult for parents to migrate as they cost the tax payer too much money and no doubt it will become even harder in the future, the number of visas actually granted has been reducing in the last few years. 

Also the government is now saying that processing times for 864 will be similar to 143 processing times.  

Sorry if it seems like bad news - we are all in the same position and very frustrated at the length of time that it’s taking for visas to be granted. 

Hi Linda your explanation was superb.  My father age at the moment 63.5 and we applied 173 May 2017. One other reason we choose to apply CPV is to bring my brother who is under -18 so he can also get parmanent visa. Rather then applying student visa and get PR through this path as things are getting more complicated day by day. I think from your conversation we should switch it to 143 so my parents Can covered on Medicare also my brother can study on a permanent resident visa. Any suggestion please explain 

Thank you everyone 

They  will be covered for Medicare care when granted  the 173 visa - sorry if I didn't make that clear. It's usually the onshore visas with bridging visas that don't qualify for Medicare  (like 864) but also if there's a long delay between end of 173 and grant of 143 they will go on a bridging visa then I think and will need private health insurance  till grant of 143 

If you switch to 143 now you will start again with another application fee and new start date so probably best staying on 173 if your father is not old enough  for aged parent visa now but be advised that age of 65.5 will be increased  by 6 months every two years. So it will eventually in a few years only be for parents aged 67 or over. 

Again best to check with a migration agent regarding adult dependants as your brother will be older by the time the application is ready to be assessed - I don't know enough  about that. These are only  my opinions - I m not a qualified agent just what I've  learned and picked up over the years so for definitive answers you really need a migration agent - there are many who occasionally post on here 

Hello Roomies,

Well, today is the day I thought would never arrive! This evening we fly to Sydney – on a one-way ticket!!

Three years of waiting and wondering and sending ‘test’ emails and gnashing teeth when the date has not moved. Then six months of anxiety. Nerve-wracking medicals, frustrating AoS palaver, sorting removal firms, packing, chucking, scrubbing (shoes and boots), paper work, resignations, and emotional farewells. 

Everyone asks if I’m excited - but at the minute I just feel numb and just a teeny bit apprehensive. But this is the bottom line:

I am moving from one comparatively rich and comfortable country to another - to be with my daughters!

How very, very lucky I am . . . . .

Good luck to you all! This will be you one day!

See you in Oz,

M 

• Like 22
  • Haha 1