Guest guest36187

2 hours ago, ramot said:

A couple of points that I think you need to confirm in your post as correct.

I think The OP’s mother will be eligible for Medicare on a bridging visa if she is from UK as it is reciprocal, but I’m not sure if there are limitations? This needs to be checked.

Reference the 864 visa. This is a permanent visa when granted so you have full Medicare, so unlikely to be deported. More likely to be a possibility while waiting on a bridging visa.

There is a visa? Or something that has been mentioned that you can apply for if the worst happens, but you would have to ask an MA about that.

Re reciprocity with UK this has been raised before. As she would not be classed as resident in Australia on a bridging  visa  but as a visitor from UK it only covers emergency treatment it does not cover on going preexisting conditions as stated in  UK gov website ........

The standard of healthcare in Australia is very good. Under the reciprocal healthcare arrangements, British citizens resident in the UK and travelling on a British passport are entitled to limited subsidised health services from Medicare for medically necessary treatment while visiting Australia. This does not cover pre-existing conditions, or treatment that does not require prompt attention. These provisions do not apply to non-visitors, for example those who are studying in Australia. Other exclusions under the reciprocal agreement include pharmaceuticals when not a hospital in-patient, use of ambulance services and medical evacuations, which are very expensive.

yes as PR she would be covered for Medicare  but not on bridging visa I believe   

There is a medical visa but it is usually a temporary visa till treatment is concluded and I get the impression you have to show you can afford the heslth costs. https://www.activemigration.com.au/visas/medical/602-medical-treatment-visa/

I agree the best thing is to consult MA.

Apart from age - I'm late sixties - I’m in a similar situation myself to the OP so I have been looking at options and finding very few! 

9 hours ago, VictoriaP said:

Hi Susie, thanks for this, yes I suspected as much. And I agree, having my Mum here for her last few years will be worth the risk. Immigration will probably force our hand, as she can't wait until she's 90! And if heaven-forbid she fails the medical and gets deported, we'll have to just deal with that when it happens - what's the alternative!!

Yes, you simply cannot control everything and life is all too short to worry about things that might go wrong. There is also a new temp parent visa (due to start soon), which may be an option. And there is an expectation that you can still remain in another parent visa queue while on this new visa.

Edited by SusieRoo

7 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Under the reciprocal healthcare arrangements, British citizens resident in the UK and travelling on a British passport are entitled to limited subsidised health services from Medicare for medically necessary treatment while visiting Australia. This does not cover pre-existing conditions, or treatment that does not require prompt attention. These provisions do not apply to non-visitors, for example those who are studying in Australia. Other exclusions under the reciprocal agreement include pharmaceuticals when not a hospital in-patient, use of ambulance services and medical evacuations, which are very expensive.

Thanks for finding this, Linda.  The Australian sites don't have all that detail.

So for the OP,  it look as though her mother will need international private health insurance, because she'll be paying full fees for all her prescriptions and all medical treatment for any existing conditions

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ramot said:

A couple of points that I think you need to confirm in your post as correct.

I think The OP’s mother will be eligible for Medicare on a bridging visa if she is from UK as it is reciprocal, but I’m not sure if there are limitations? This needs to be checked.

Reference the 864 visa. This is a permanent visa when granted so you have full Medicare, so unlikely to be deported. More likely to be a possibility while waiting on a bridging visa.

There is a visa? Or something that has been mentioned that you can apply for if the worst happens, but you would have to ask an MA about that.

I think the deportation bit was about when she gets to the front of the queue for actual visa she will have to have a medical. If she fails that then she would face going back to the uk as she would be denied the PR and therefore would no longer have a bridging visa. 

OP, does your mum really want to up sticks and relocate at the old age of 80?  I can't imagine many would.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks for finding this, Linda.  The Australian sites don't have all that detail.

So for the OP,  it look as though her mother will need international private health insurance, because she'll be paying full fees for all her prescriptions and all medical treatment for any existing conditions

Yes she would need international medical insurance that would cover everything, that won't be cheap at aged 80. 

Hi,

Can anyone gave us some advice on the following issue of our Parent visa 143. 

Our story:

We are in Perth Australia on a 457 working visa(husbands) we applied for the Parent visa Beg October 2015 with intention of staying permanently and working in Oz we both have good jobs which we would like to keep, however we have been informed that the 143 visa we applied for will not meet up timewise (457 visa at the end of August.)

We have been told by our Migration Agent that the only way round this is to leave the country End August apply for a tourist visa and then apply Mid Novemeber for an 804 parent visa which will give us work rights, all a bit confusing, now we are told that to apply for the 804 visa we need to withdraw the 143 visa we have paid 5k already for and reapply and start at the beginning of a very long waiting list.

Can anyone help, please

13 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I think the deportation bit was about when she gets to the front of the queue for actual visa she will have to have a medical. If she fails that then she would face going back to the uk as she would be denied the PR and therefore would no longer have a bridging visa. 

OP, does your mum really want to up sticks and relocate at the old age of 80?  I can't imagine many would.

Have a look at the subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa.

The 602 visa is available to those aged over 50 who have been refused an onshore visa on health grounds.

Best regards.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2018 at 09:10, VictoriaP said:

My Mum's story .... We applied for 143 in June 2017 as the processing times then were around 30-36 months, but it seems like that is going to blow out considerably. Mum has just turned 80 and is living in the UK on her own with no family support at all. I can't leave her there alone for another 3/4 years!

I'm thinking of bringing her over and then applying for the 864 visa instead, so at least she is here while it's being processed. Can anyone tell me if we do this, does she go back to the start of the queue again as it is a different visa? I know we have to pay the initial fee again so I'm assuming she would start at the beginning of the queue unfortunately. Also is there anyone out there who can give me some idea of the 864 processing times? Immigration wouldn't give me any idea at all.

Thanks so much guys.

Yes, you would have to withdraw the 143 application to lodge an 864.

Processing timeline expectations for 864s should now be the same as for 143s.   It wasn't so a year + ago, when the expectation for 864 application processing was a year to 18 months - but the Department with its usual lack of transparency has apparently decided to equalise processing times for 143s and 864s.

So I was informed by the PVC in January this year: Within the straight 864 and 143 cohort is has been noted that the 143s are significantly behind the 864s and it is intended to bring the two processing times closer together over the next few years.  

IMHO it does the Department no credit to be so opaque in not communicating processing expectations with stakeholders, but that affliction seems to be prevalent across many areas of Government these days.  

I hasten to add that this is not a political statement, as I anticipate matters would not improve under a different administration.

Feel able to also telephone me to discuss.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I've lodged my parent visa (143) on 6th July 2015 and I am still waiting to hear back from visa center for next steps such as AOS or health check ect.

I have some questions to ask :

1. Has Anyone who lodged in July 2015 received an email from the visa  center to processing next steps?

2. Normally I was tracking the status by sending email WA center (subject :test). They used to send automatic reply that tells what they are up to.

but I haven't got any reply from mid June 2018 even though I sent emails several time. Anyone knows about why?

3. Most important question for me is about the income test between the time of AOS lodgement and interview. 

Let's say I have eligible income for AOS that Centerlink requires so I submit the documents (payslip ect) when I lodge.

While I wait to be interviewed by Centerlink,  I quit the job so I don't have a income. (Bit extreme example)

Then I fail to be a assurer?

Very appreciated if anyone can help.

Medical treatment is covered by the RHCA if you are from the UK.

Yes, the s/c 602 is a temporary residency visa.

The point I am trying to make is that being refused a visa under subclass 864 (or 804) on health grounds doesn't necessarily mean the parent has to depart Australia.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I was advised by the Department of Human Services last year:

When you have submitted an application for a Parent visa (subclass 103 or 804) with Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) you are only eligible to enrol in Medicare if you were residing in a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) country immediately before arriving in Australia.

The Australian Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with the Governments of Belgium, Finland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Republic of Ireland, Slovenia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. These agreements entitle eligible visitors to Australia access to limited subsidised health services for medically necessary treatment. Reciprocal Health Care Agreements are not designed to replace private travel health insurance for overseas travel.

The following services are generally covered under RHCA:

·         >  Medicare benefits for medically necessary out-of-hospital treatment (except for New Zealand and the Republic of Ireland)

·         >  Medically necessary treatment as a public patient in a public hospital including pregnancy related services. Person seeking treatment must provide individual hospitals with a valid RHCA Medicare card or visitors from the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand must provide their passport or documents to confirm residency with that country

·        >   Medicines available on prescription which are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

Medically necessary treatment relates to a medical condition that need immediate attention This means any ill health or injury which occurs while you’re in Australia and requires treatment before you return home. The period of entitlement depend on the country a person has travelled from, the UK is generally for the period of an individual’s stay as indicated on their visa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, che said:

Hello,

I've lodged my parent visa (143) on 6th July 2015 and I am still waiting to hear back from visa center for next steps such as AOS or health check ect.

I have some questions to ask :

1. Has Anyone who lodged in July 2015 received an email from the visa  center to processing next steps?

2. Normally I was tracking the status by sending email WA center (subject :test). They used to send automatic reply that tells what they are up to.

but I haven't got any reply from mid June 2018 even though I sent emails several time. Anyone knows about why?

3. Most important question for me is about the income test between the time of AOS lodgement and interview. 

Let's say I have eligible income for AOS that Centerlink requires so I submit the documents (payslip ect) when I lodge.

While I wait to be interviewed by Centerlink,  I quit the job so I don't have a income. (Bit extreme example)

Then I fail to be a assurer?

Very appreciated if anyone can help.

Welcome! Only a few posters here are real experts and the rest of us are just giving our opinion and making assumptions. So you should talk to a good migration agent if you have a important issue, but…

I think you will find some parents with similar lodgement dates to yours, will have been contacted by immi. But it is not unusual to find a large discrepancy with how this works and you only need to start worrying when the official processing date moves well past your lodgement date.

You are not getting replies from immi test emails because they have not moved forward for so long. If you retry sending from a different email address, you may get a reply, but it will probably still show the 5th May 2015.

As I say, I’m not an expert. But it would seem obviously unwise to quit your job before you have AoS conformation. I suspect if you told this to Centrelink during your interview, you would not be accepted as assurer.

7 hours ago, Kath said:

Hi,

Can anyone gave us some advice on the following issue of our Parent visa 143. 

Our story:

We are in Perth Australia on a 457 working visa(husbands) we applied for the Parent visa Beg October 2015 with intention of staying permanently and working in Oz we both have good jobs which we would like to keep, however we have been informed that the 143 visa we applied for will not meet up timewise (457 visa at the end of August.)

We have been told by our Migration Agent that the only way round this is to leave the country End August apply for a tourist visa and then apply Mid Novemeber for an 804 parent visa which will give us work rights, all a bit confusing, now we are told that to apply for the 804 visa we need to withdraw the 143 visa we have paid 5k already for and reapply and start at the beginning of a very long waiting list.

Can anyone help, please

Hi I’m assuming you have children in Australia so that you meet the balance of family test. The 804 visa is I believe for aged parents ie over 67? Yes you would have to reapply  and start again  

For info see https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/804-

Edited by LindaH27

3 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Hi I’m assuming you have children in Australia so that you meet the balance of family test. The 804 visa is I believe for aged parents ie over 67? Yes you would have to reapply  and start again  

For info see https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/804-

No, aged is presently 65.5 years old.

https://www.dss.gov.au/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension

Only the main applicant has to be "aged".

Best regards.

Hi,

We were told by our migration agent I would ned to 65 we applied once I turned 65 only to be told I need to be of pension age with in my case if 65.6 which will be November, w have tried to extend the 457 but they will not allow us, my only daughter and her family live in Oz, so was wondering if there is any other option than the one we are taking