Guest guest36187

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:48, palaceboy1 said:

Yes people do apply but nobody has yet waited 30 years for a non cont 103 visa the actual wait at the moment is 8 years

The 103 visa is a long wait and eight years may be a bit optimistic. We applied May 2010, our queue date is 24 December 2010, we are now 3460 in the queue which I expect will take us to 2020 before we get accepted. However I was interested in you saying that August 2010 is  now being considered. Where did this information come from? also can anyone who also applied in 2010 please let us know if you have been contacted about police checks ect.  We aren't 100% sure, (because of our age), whether we will eventually end up in Australia and I suspect there are a lot who are also thinking along the same lines. I have loved keeping a check on all the many people that have passed through this forum and the information and advise given by so many. Keep up the good work.  

30 minutes ago, pat and bill said:

The 103 visa is a long wait and eight years may be a bit optimistic. We applied May 2010, our queue date is 24 December 2010, we are now 3460 in the queue which I expect will take us to 2020 before we get accepted. However I was interested in you saying that August 2010 is  now being considered. Where did this information come from? also can anyone who also applied in 2010 please let us know if you have been contacted about police checks ect.  We aren't 100% sure, (because of our age), whether we will eventually end up in Australia and I suspect there are a lot who are also thinking along the same lines. I have loved keeping a check on all the many people that have passed through this forum and the information and advise given by so many. Keep up the good work.  

My mum applied in 2009 and our queue date is Aug 2010. we got allotted case officer in may and now we are waiting for AOS processing. hope she gets her visa soon.

I have been in the 103 queue for just over two years and the queue in front of me has gone down by an average of 3250 a year so Pat and Bill should hear before 2020. There seems to be a big drop out rate probably due to age and change of circumstances. As the 143 wait time lengthens I expect the drop out rate to also rise so both queues should be self limiting. I expect to have to wait about 11 years in total from queue date plus the 15 months it took to be assessed to join the queue. A long time but not the 30 years quoted although I haven't checked how long the queue is now for newly queued 103 applicants.

On 09/08/2018 at 17:45, Lolly T said:

Hi Peter2

I’ve updated my timeline if you would like to add me to your spreadsheet.

Lolly T 

Hi Peter2 

Thankyou for adding my timeline to your spreadsheet. 

I see our AOS from start to finish was the second longest so far at 6.07 months.

l hope they don’t take as long to grant our visas 

Lolly T 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any theories on why the volume of applicants rose so much in 2014-15 and continue to be so high ever since? I guess as there are applicants from all over the world issues in other countries might be the push factor. I think the 103 queue also rise significantly at about that time too. Do you know what the source of the figures is in the table? I do find statistics fascinating which might make me a bit weird ?

Edited by Ruth7862
Grammar

11 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I think @SusieRoo posted this ... and I believe there are currently over 50k waiting!!

368A28C3-57E8-45C0-9784-7A64F9E4BF77.png

Wow!  That's not pleasant reading.  If there's 50k in the queue and they're only granting 6218 a year - that's 8 years. (Not counting drop outs).  I wish I'd found Pomsinoz earlier with all this useful information.  We definitely would have applied much earlier.  

3 hours ago, pat and bill said:

The fact of the August 2010 now being assessed for grant is taken from the reply to test email when checking assessment dates - 

PROCESSING NON-CONTRIBUTORY PARENT VISAS

In the 2017-18 Migration Program year, 1500 Non-Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.

·         OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (Subclass 103)

Once your application is allocated to a case officer, your eligibility for a visa will be assessed and if you are found to meet eligibility requirements your application will be placed in a queue and assigned a queue date to wait for a visa place. 

We are currently assessing for a queue date applications lodged on 5 May 2016.

We are currently assessing for finalisation applications with a queue date including August 2010.

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times 

QUEUE FOR SUBCLASS 103 AND 804
All applications are initially assessed in order of date of lodgement until they are queued or refused. The order of queuing may be influenced if you respond to requests for documents or other actions quickly.  

Once queued, the queue dates cannot be changed even if compelling or compassionate circumstances exist, as all cases are considered equally deserving.  Please do not ask for your application to be prioritised or expedited. Applications are released from the queue in queue date order.  To do otherwise could disadvantage someone else with equally compelling or compassionate circumstances.

Changes in numbers in the queue depend on how many visas may be granted each year, fluctuations due to grants, refusals, withdrawals and successful review cases.  Once your 103 or 804 application is queued and you want to check your place in the queue please use our queue calculator. The queue calculator for non-contributory parent visas can be found at https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/qcalc/QDateAnswer.do

As visa places are limited (currently 1500 per year) your application will spend a long time in the queue.  The time spent depends on the Australian Government releasing visas

6 minutes ago, Ruth7862 said:

Does anyone have any theories on why the volume of applicants rose so much in 2014-15 and continue to be so high ever since? I guess as there are applicants from all over the world issues in other countries might be the push factor. I think the 103 queue also rise significantly at about that time too. Do you know what the source of the figures is in the table? I do find statistics fascinating which might make me a bit weird ?

My guesses   .....The 103 rose then because they closed 103 applications from June- September 2014 and only reopened due to pressure so people rushed to get the applications in. 

From 2014 onwards applications for 143 from India and China vastly increased. The three main countries for applicants are firstly India then China then UK 

I remember reading somewhere about The Australian govt commissioned a report about parent immigration and came to certain conclusions - none have yet been implemented but don’t hold your breath in future. All designed to make it harder for parent migrants  

19 minutes ago, MillieB said:

Wow!  That's not pleasant reading.  If there's 50k in the queue and they're only granting 6218 a year - that's 8 years. (Not counting drop outs).  I wish I'd found Pomsinoz earlier with all this useful information.  We definitely would have applied much earlier.  

Yes that’s why I can’t see 103 visa bring granted in 8 years as people pay a substantial amount  more on second vac for 143 for speedier processing so wouldn’t be happy paying out so much more if they were waiting as long as 103 applicants. Ive resigned myself to a long wait anyway! 

My Mum's story .... We applied for 143 in June 2017 as the processing times then were around 30-36 months, but it seems like that is going to blow out considerably. Mum has just turned 80 and is living in the UK on her own with no family support at all. I can't leave her there alone for another 3/4 years!

I'm thinking of bringing her over and then applying for the 864 visa instead, so at least she is here while it's being processed. Can anyone tell me if we do this, does she go back to the start of the queue again as it is a different visa? I know we have to pay the initial fee again so I'm assuming she would start at the beginning of the queue unfortunately. Also is there anyone out there who can give me some idea of the 864 processing times? Immigration wouldn't give me any idea at all.

Thanks so much guys.

5 minutes ago, VictoriaP said:

My Mum's story .... We applied for 143 in June 2017 as the processing times then were around 30-36 months, but it seems like that is going to blow out considerably. Mum has just turned 80 and is living in the UK on her own with no family support at all. I can't leave her there alone for another 3/4 years!

I'm thinking of bringing her over and then applying for the 864 visa instead, so at least she is here while it's being processed. Can anyone tell me if we do this, does she go back to the start of the queue again as it is a different visa? I know we have to pay the initial fee again so I'm assuming she would start at the beginning of the queue unfortunately. Also is there anyone out there who can give me some idea of the 864 processing times? Immigration wouldn't give me any idea at all.

Thanks so much guys.

Sorry I can’t give you any definite answers.

We applied for the 864 visa last year on the mistaken understanding that it would be processed in 1 year. 

All I can tell you from sending a blank email to parents@ home affairs that there has only been 6 weeks movement for a single  864 visa to be processed. It has moved from September 2016 to October 2016 and then absolutely nothing. Some thoughts are that they are delaying issuing to bring the 864 in line with the 143 waiting times but who knows.

Mystic Meg might know more!!!

I can’t give you advice about applying onshore, that’s your decision. Some people think it’s wrong to come on a visitors visa and apply onshore, in case entry is refused,  but many do just that. We are in a different position as we already live in Australia as self funded retirees on a visa that finished in 2005. You will need to find out the Medicare position, what would your mother be covered for on a bridging visa should she need costly treatment etc. Could she/you afford private health which again might be very expensive.

Sorry I can’t help more than the above. It’s the lies we are fed when we apply for a visa that absolutely apalls me.

Shame that the theoretical new 5/10 year parent visa hasn’t materialised yet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VictoriaP said:

Thanks so much guys.

Yes, unfortunately it’s back to the start and pay the initial fee again. But if I were you I would scratch the 143 application and bring your mum out on a tourist visa, then apply for a 864. She can then stay on a bridging visa while the application is processed. The aged parent visa channels have both ground to a holt in the last 12 months, so you can probably expect 10 years wait, but nobody really knows. I would value the time with mum over the vagaries (and vulgarities) of the Australian parent visa system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VictoriaP said:

Thanks so much guys.

I believe you would have to withdraw the 143 application and start again with a new lodgement date onshore for 864 and the bridging visa would start after the end of the tourist visa - but as many have said its a risky strategy, if they considered she had come  on a tourist visa with the intent to stay they could refuse entrance and set a three year ban on returning. Processing times seem set to follow 143 times.  She would not covered by Medicare whilst in a bridging visa. Private health insurance (especially for older people) is very expensive. She would still have to pass a medical. I believe there was a case a few months ago where the elderly  parent on 864 was going to be deported  as her medical  costs were too high. 

I don’t think there are any quick ways now to get a parent visa! 

Edited by LindaH27

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Sorry I can’t give you any definite answers.

We applied for the 864 visa last year on the mistaken understanding that it would be processed in 1 year. 

All I can tell you from sending a blank email to parents@ home affairs that there has only been 6 weeks movement for a single  864 visa to be processed. It has moved from September 2016 to October 2016 and then absolutely nothing. Some thoughts are that they are delaying issuing to bring the 864 in line with the 143 waiting times but who knows.

Mystic Meg might know more!!!

I can’t give you advice about applying onshore, that’s your decision. Some people think it’s wrong to come on a visitors visa and apply onshore, in case entry is refused,  but many do just that. We are in a different position as we already live in Australia as self funded retirees on a visa that finished in 2005. You will need to find out the Medicare position, what would your mother be covered for on a bridging visa should she need costly treatment etc. Could she/you afford private health which again might be very expensive.

Sorry I can’t help more than the above. It’s the lies we are fed when we apply for a visa that absolutely apalls me.

Shame that the theoretical new 5/10 year parent visa hasn’t materialised yet.

Thanks for your message. Yep, it seems that we all make decisions on the information that we are given at the time and then the goal posts are constantly moving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

I believe you would have to withdraw the 143 application and start again with a new lodgement date onshore for 864 and the bridging visa would start after the end of the tourist visa - but as many have said its a risky strategy, if they considered she had come  on a tourist visa with the intent to stay they could refuse entrance and set a three year ban on returning. Processing times seem set to follow 143 times.  She would not covered by Medicare whilst in a bridging visa. Private health insurance (especially for older people) is very expensive. She would still have to pass a medical. I believe there was a case a few months ago where the elderly  parent on 864 was going to be deported  as her medical  costs were too high. 

Yep, there are definitely risks involved either way. And let's all be honest, how many people genuinely come over for a holiday and then suddenly decide they want to live here permanently, not many I suspect, it is not something that people do on a whim. And actually it was Immigration that told me about swapping my Mum to the 864 the next time she was here and even gave me the details of which form to complete. With my Mum's age and the wait times now, even paying such a high fee, Immigration has left people like us with very few options.

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, unfortunately it’s back to the start and pay the initial fee again. But if I were you I would scratch the 143 application and bring your mum out on a tourist visa, then apply for a 864. She can then stay on a bridging visa while the application is processed. The aged parent visa channels have both ground to a holt in the last 12 months, so you can probably expect 10 years wait, but nobody really knows. I would value the time with mum over the vagaries (and vulgarities) of the Australian parent visa system.

Hi Susie, thanks for this, yes I suspected as much. And I agree, having my Mum here for her last few years will be worth the risk. Immigration will probably force our hand, as she can't wait until she's 90! And if heaven-forbid she fails the medical and gets deported, we'll have to just deal with that when it happens - what's the alternative!!

30 minutes ago, VictoriaP said:

Hi Susie, thanks for this, yes I suspected as much. And I agree, having my Mum here for her last few years will be worth the risk. Immigration will probably force our hand, as she can't wait until she's 90! And if heaven-forbid she fails the medical and gets deported, we'll have to just deal with that when it happens - what's the alternative!!

The reality is that they are her last few years.  I'm getting to be an old lady myself, and I'm very aware that far too few of us live past 80 in perfect health, and then drop dead suddenly and painlessly.  There's a very strong likelihood of her incurring high medical costs as she ages, and ending up in the same boat as this lady:

https://startsat60.com/entertainment/tv-movies/british-great-grandmother-fran-davies-high-medical-cost-deportation-today-tonight

The problem with that is that if she's sent back to the UK, she won't be entitled to the NHS straight away, because she's no longer a resident.  Plus she won't have a home to go to (unless she's going to keep her house in the UK) and she'll be even more isolated, having been away for some years.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

A couple of points that I think you need to confirm in your post as correct.

I think The OP’s mother will be eligible for Medicare on a bridging visa if she is from UK as it is reciprocal, but I’m not sure if there are limitations? This needs to be checked.

Reference the 864 visa. This is a permanent visa when granted so you have full Medicare, so unlikely to be deported. More likely to be a possibility while waiting on a bridging visa.

There is a visa? Or something that has been mentioned that you can apply for if the worst happens, but you would have to ask an MA about that.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1