Guest guest36187

Link pasted and copied instead.....

Written on Oct 2015 so figure of £155 is now £164

But in the first five years of the new pension, only around a third of those reaching state pension age are estimated to get the full “flat-rate” pension of £155 per week, worth around £8,000 a year.

By 2021, those eligible for the full rate will rise to just over 50 per cent, but it will be more than three decades before the state pension is paid to nine in ten retirement savers.

System shake out
The chief reason why many won’t get the full state pension is due to how the government has dealt with previous periods of contracting out as the old system converts to the new.

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Pre 2016 new pension changes the maximum you could get was a lot less. Many if not all  of the pensioners on here with pensions paid before 2016 would, I suspect, getting a much lower figure  than 164 p.w even after adding on what used to be called SERPS. This was state earnings related pension which would give you an increased amount if you earned more than a limit  and therefore paid more but this was means tested in that if you also paid into a private works pension this would be taken into account in the SERPS calculation. 

Pre 2016 category A full state pension was £125.95

Even with the new state pension very few people will actually receive the full amount. This is what’s causing the big outcry - see a good explanation here  

https://www.ft.com/content/6564a2c4-6cd5-11e5-aca9-d87542bf8673

sorry link doesn’t appear to be working - will try to copy and paste 

Oh,  sorry about that I didn't know. That said I know many who have certainly been getting their pensions much longer than pre 2016 and get more than the lower figure. Maybe that's when you get more when your spouse dies or something.  Apologies again. 

No apologies needed! Yes most get more than £125 as they get the added SERPS and also something called GRB. - graduated retirement benefit.  All that changed in 2016  

Widow/widowers  could also have  inherited some of their late spouses  pension as well. 

So that’s why some pre 2016 pensioners do get more than £125 and also why new pensioners aren’t getting a very good deal! 

I don’t believe any government has got this right despite tinkering around with increasing pension ages etc and wonder whether we will eventually see a system whereby we each pay into our own “pot” like Australia and New Zealand. 

Every country is facing the the problem of an increasing aged population - and no one seems to have got it quite right yet! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ferrets said:

My numbers were a bit simplistic, and were admittedly based only on the new pension.  For those retiring before 2016 the contributions made would typically have been at a different average salary - but will park that one.

Certainly agree that there is trouble brewing though!

No they would not be typically average salary. Since the vast majority of people currently receiving pensions will at present be on theold system, the average salary of pension recipients will not have changed much. I agree that will change as more people retire but at this point your figures are not simplistic they are incorrect, because you have based them on the assumption that the new flat rate is received by most people - it isnt!

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Figure is wrong, it's about £8500pa (£164pw)

The full new State Pension is £164.35 per week. The actual amount you get depends on your National Insurance record. The only reasons the amount can be higher are if: you have over a certain amount of Additional State Pension.

Not sure why you have quoted me? My post was about the lower amount still received by the majority of pensioners, i.e. 6400 or so for up to 44 years contributions. I think your post was more relevent to Ferrets?

10 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

No they would not be typically average salary. Since the vast majority of people currently receiving pensions will at present be on theold system, the average salary of pension recipients will not have changed much. I agree that will change as more people retire but at this point your figures are not simplistic they are incorrect, because you have based them on the assumption that the new flat rate is received by most people - it isnt!

Won’t be received by me as I paid into private pension you are classed as contracted out. I will have to pay for 50yrs not the 35yrs contributions to get the full new rate ?

• Sad 1

Hi everyone,

I thought I posted a picture of our Singapore airlines plane at the gate at Manchester Airport a week ago when we were waiting to board but no sign of the post or picture ?. 

Anyway we are finally here in Perth and registering for medicare, seniors card, buying a car and deciding whether to build a new house or buy an established home. 

All of these stressful tasks are soooo much easier when a winter's day is sunny and around 20 degrees. 

Thank you to everyone in the forum for advice and help through our journey. If you have been in the queue for a while and hit problems as we did , try and look to the future and hopefully like us eventually it will happen and you will join your children and look forward to sharing their lives and them yours. 

Good luck everyone and congratulations to those who have advanced.

See you all soon!

On 25/04/2018 at 17:57, nyorksgrannie said:

Congrats Gafuk - your patience has certainly been put to the test,  wonderful news! Enjoy!

Edited by gafuk
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Can I suggest that discussion on Pensions be moved to the Money & Finance section of the forum:  https://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/7-money-finance/

This section of the forum is more specifically for visa topics.

Fair point, only problem is that tracking the progress of an 864 that has moved 6 weeks in 21 months (as @ramot pointed out) I am struggling to keep on topic.  Might be easier to log out and log back in in 36 months time to check progress ?

Edited by Ferrets
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

Fair point, only problem is that tracking the progress of an 864 that has moved 6 weeks in 21 months (as @ramot pointed out) I am struggling to keep on topic.  Might be easier to log out and log back in in 36 months time to check progress ?

That's a bit optimistic!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Have a wonderful life in Oz! Keep popping in if you can with any snippets of advice for the rest of us patiently waiting

A picture of our plane ( a week late ) and a picture from today's walk by the beach in Alkimos North of Perth

IMG_9009.JPG

IMG_9048.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, gafuk said:

Hi everyone,

I thought I posted a picture of our Singapore airlines plane at the gate at Manchester Airport a week ago when we were waiting to board but no sign of the post or picture ?. 

Anyway we are finally here in Perth and registering for medicare, seniors card, buying a car and deciding whether to build a new house or buy an established home. 

All of these stressful tasks are soooo much easier when a winter's day is sunny and around 20 degrees. 

Thank you to everyone in the forum for advice and help through our journey. If you have been in the queue for a while and hit problems as we did , try and look to the future and hopefully like us eventually it will happen and you will join your children and look forward to sharing their lives and them yours. 

Good luck everyone and congratulations to those who have advanced.

See you all soon!

Hi gafuk

congratultions on finally getting there. Our 2vac is now paid, the house goes on the market in a couple of days, busy packing and sorting those thousand and one things out that we've left until the last minute. Planning on flying out to Perth at the end of July. ??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikenC said:

Hi gafuk

congratultions on finally getting there. Our 2vac is now paid, the house goes on the market in a couple of days, busy packing and sorting those thousand and one things out that we've left until the last minute. Planning on flying out to Perth at the end of July. ??

Congratulations mikenc hope everything goes smooth for you and the pound improves for all of us !  Perth is great ! 

CF7C00B7-72EC-4FE0-823F-33A00D75ACA5.jpeg

45 minutes ago, MikenC said:

Hi gafuk

We are already sorting stuff and getting rid of rubbish and trips to the charity shop. We thought about putting our house on the market when we know our assurance of support is sorted so that we can make a quick getaway when the visa is hopefully granted. 

Does anyone have any ideas on when the best time might be to put a property on the market? They don't take long to sell where we are but I should imagine that solicitors and searches etc will take their time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are lucky enough not to need the equity in your house to move over, then I would suggest as we did and wait for the Visa to be granted. Houses here sell very quickly to, but unless your lucky it could take three months or more to complete. It’s never an easy or straight forward decision to make I’m afraid

good luck with which ever way you choose to do things. 

2 hours ago, Judy said:

We are already sorting stuff and getting rid of rubbish and trips to the charity shop. We thought about putting our house on the market when we know our assurance of support is sorted so that we can make a quick getaway when the visa is hopefully granted. 

Does anyone have any ideas on when the best time might be to put a property on the market? They don't take long to sell where we are but I should imagine that solicitors and searches etc will take their time. 

Difficult to say but worth bearing in mind property prices are dropping in much of the uk, even in the south so you may not want to wait too long 

On 13/06/2018 at 05:44, Fisher1 said:

Congratulations!   Enjoy New Zealand / Bali/ wherever .. we had a nice six days in Auckland ...

Hi, we’ve just sent you a private message but can’t find confirmation that it went! Can you let us know if you received it! 

Thanks 

Geoff & Gill

17 hours ago, Judy said:

I had an open day. Best thing ever. Only get the house “ready” once and got 4 offers. Took 11 weeks with no chain after open day date. Took the first time buyer offer at asking price for speed.  Good luck!

• Like 2