Guest guest36187

9 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Good point Ramot.   My parents bought their retirement home in Wales when they were in their late fifties and never gave a thought to the staircase - which shot out of the tiny hall at quite a dizzying gradient. It was only thirty years later that chickens came home to roost and my poor mum had to move to a sheltered flat at a time when she really didn't want to leave behind memories. Also worth considering whether there is a downstairs bathroom, and whether it's possible to get from house to garden to street without needing a ramp. Three steps to our front door was no problem till we had to negotiate it with mum's wheelchair.   Don't want to be a misery but I look at steps and stairs in an entirely new light these days! 

Yes, been there, t-shirt etc. So we now have very fixed requirements for future proofing the house we buy in Australia. Especially after seeing two sets of parents struggle with daily practicalities in unsuitable properties. Sadly when you do need to relocate, this is also the time in your life when moving home is the most traumatic.

There is a bit of a sigma attached to anything in the home designed to aid people. We had a very positive experience staying in a posh hotel in Noosa, when we were told they only room available was a ‘disabled’ room. Normally you expect to compromise a bit on luxury or aesthetic. But we got a really well thought out and practical wetroom/bathroom which would not looked out of place in any modern city apartment.

I also like the idea of a separate utility room with washing machine at waist height and a big practical sink. Plus a walk-in pantry with everything neat and tidy on open shelves (just like it used to be) instead of lots of little cramped cupboards. And obviously a walk-in-wardrobe is essential darling. All this would all be very expensive in the UK but thankfully not as costly or unusual in Australian new-builds.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I agree. Exactly what I thought That 7175 was the figure ! And that they only issued about 6000 from that. Totally confused!

I think they must have got mixed up with this. There has never been 8675 CP-Visas granted in any year and I think the cap has been set at 7175 for the last 3 years.

Possibly the previous legislative instrument recorded both types of parent visa together to give a total of 8675, instead of 7175 and 1500 for the individual categories.

I don’t think a new cap has yet been announced for 2018-19, but we do know there is to be some consideration for the extra retirement visa places. So who knows, and actually it doesn’t even mean much now considering they were 957 visas short of the cap last year.

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes, been there, t-shirt etc. So we now have very fixed requirements for future proofing the house we buy in Australia. Especially after seeing two sets of parents struggle with daily practicalities in unsuitable properties. Sadly when you do need to relocate, this is also the time in your life when moving home is the most traumatic.

There is a bit of a sigma attached to anything in the home designed to aid people. We had a very positive experience staying in a posh hotel in Noosa, when we were told they only room available was a ‘disabled’ room. Normally you expect to compromise a bit on luxury or aesthetic. But we got a really well thought out and practical wetroom/bathroom which would not looked out of place in any modern city apartment.

I also like the idea of a separate utility room with washing machine at waist height and a big practical sink. Plus a walk-in pantry with everything neat and tidy on open shelves (just like it used to be) instead of lots of little cramped cupboards. And obviously a walk-in-wardrobe is essential darling. All this would all be very expensive in the UK but thankfully not as costly or unusual in Australian new-builds.  

The property you mention sounds very similar to the house my daughter rents.  It is all on one level...4 bedrooms, lounge,kitchen, bathroom and the ensuite to the master has a walk-in shower.  Utility room has sink and washmachine/dryer on top of each other.  Pantry is huge with shelves so you can see everything and reach everything quite easily.  There are numerous large cupboards throughout the house and a small garden.  Only downside are the two steps outside to get in but it is in a hilly part of Port!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wishfull said:

Hi 

I am confused - am I missing something?

Both Kath's extract and the legislation that Alan cites refer to the number of visas that may be granted in the year 2017-2018, that is this current year. Neither says anything about next year 2018/2019. Also the maximum number of contributory parent visas (143/173/864/884) stated in all documents is 7175 and the maximum number of non contributory visa (103/804) is 1500. This is consistent with the allowance given at the start of this year and also for the previous 3 years, it was increased to 7175 from 6675 in 2013/2014 for contributory parent visas.

So I am at a loss to understand how the conclusion from this information is that the number of visas for next year will decrease and also where the figures 8675 and 1550 for contributory and non contributory parent visas come from in Kath's extract.

Can somebody help me out please.

I agree. Exactly what I thought That 7175 was the figure ! And that they only issued about 6000 from that. Totally confused!

On 02/06/2018 at 07:13, nyorksgrannie said:

You can arrange a private viewing with an agent and the open to views on Saturdays usually run a few weeks as the early ones are often to assess what buyers think it is worth before they put a price on it, in fact if you are on an agents list they may invite you to an early viewing before on the market where only a couple of people view it and if a bid is offered that is acceptable it might be accepted it depends on the sellers circumstances. So don’t worry you will usually get more than 30 mins. I do know what you mean about houses too big for tbe block (plot) they seem to build almost up to the boundary fence even when it is a self build, which is partly why we went for an existing property that is on a decent sized block so we don’t feel so enclosed. Good luck.

I think it's more about the blocks being so small than the houses being small or up to the boundary

OK, here is a review of the position for 2016/17:

Detailed numbers for 2016/17

• Non contributory parent visas
    • Budgeted – 1,500
    • Actual – 1,345
  • Contributory parent visas
    • Budgeted – 7,175
    • Actual – 6,218

The Instrument of this week caps the number of visas for 2017/18 at:

*  Non contributory parent visas - 1,500

*  Contributory parent visas - 7,175

Which I'm sure many will note is the same number as was budgeted in 2016/17.

Whether this number will be granted remains to be seen.   Personally I doubt it, as the Minister wants to be seen to be reflecting the wishes and needs of ordinary Australians.

In other words - if I might say - the Government doesn't want to set the agenda.   Rather, it follows opinion polls.

Remember that under Minister Dutton the migration program sets a ceiling on the number of visas, not a target.

See the interesting article here: http://insidestory.org.au/where-now-for-australias-immigration-level/

I have yet to see the non humanitarian migration program breakdown for 2018/19, but believe the total is expected to be unchanged from 2017/18.

Best regards.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

OK, here is a review of the position for 2016/17:

Detailed numbers for 2016/17

• Non contributory parent visas
    • Budgeted – 1,500
    • Actual – 1,345
  • Contributory parent visas
    • Budgeted – 7,175
    • Actual – 6,218

The Instrument of this week caps the number of visas for 2017/18 at:

*  Non contributory parent visas - 1,500

*  Contributory parent visas - 7,175

Which I'm sure many will note is the same number as was budgeted in 2016/17.

Whether this number will be granted remains to be seen.   Personally I doubt it, as the Minister wants to be seen to be reflecting the wishes and needs of ordinary Australians.

In other words - if I might say - the Government doesn't want to set the agenda.   Rather, it follows opinion polls.

Remember that under Minister Dutton the migration program sets a ceiling on the number of visas, not a target.

See the interesting article here: http://insidestory.org.au/where-now-for-australias-immigration-level/

I have yet to see the non humanitarian migration program breakdown for 2018/19, but believe the total is expected to be unchanged from 2017/18.

Best regards.

Thank you Alan, that makes it very clear.

So overtly we should not expect to see the "ceiling" for CPVs to decrease for 2018/2019. It will be interesting to see what is actually achieved for 2017/2018.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kimboslice said:

We are thinking of going over to see the family next year (may, june or july time).

This is going to be close to my visa being allocated (fingers crossed)

I know you have to be offshore but what timescale do you have to re-ply.

mark

We were with family in Australia when our agent was contacted by immi, for people in Australia they advised we  had 28 days to leave the country and to send scanned copy of departure details (flight reservations) within 7 days.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

We were with family in Australia when our agent was contacted by immi, for people in Australia they advised we  had 28 days to leave the country and to send scanned copy of departure details (flight reservations) within 7 days.

thanks for that, i might go april/may time just to be on the safe side.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kimboslice said:

We are thinking of going over to see the family next year (may, june or july time).

This is going to be close to my visa being allocated (fingers crossed)

I know you have to be offshore but what timescale do you have to re-ply.

mark

A planned holiday clashed with the allocation of our visa two years ago, which was sooner than we had expected (!) We liased with a case officer and booked a quick week's holiday in Auckland - emailed a screen shot of the booking confirmation from an online travel company.  We left for New Zealand early one morning and found an email allocating our visa when we arrived at our hotel.

• Thanks 1

On 02/06/2018 at 21:26, Kathss56 said:

Hi All,

Sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong place, but I wanted it to land where parent visa applicants are currently reading.

It looks like government are trying to pass a bill (*subject to legislation) to have newly arrived migrants granted PR after Ist Jul 18 wait 4 years before they are eligible to the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card and a number of other things:

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/05_2018/updated_original_factsheet_-_encouraging_self_sufficiency_for_newly_arrived_migrants_-_4_year_narwp_1_0.pdf

I think Allan Collet originally posted the above link.

My understanding is this card is access to Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme prescription medicines and certain medicare services at concession rate.

If this is passed I’m wondering exactly what you get for your PR at in the region of $50K a visa?  Or am I missing something?

Should we start writing to the Greens, etc who supported the Assurance of Support changes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenses said:

It looks like government are trying to pass a bill (*subject to legislation) to have newly arrived migrants granted PR after Ist Jul 18 wait 4 years before they are eligible to the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card and a number of other things

My understanding is this card is access to Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme prescription medicines and certain medicare services at concession rate.

If this is passed I’m wondering exactly what you get for your PR at in the region of $50K a visa?  Or am I missing something?

The card gives you additional discounts as a pensioner.  Many Australians don't get that card either, it's a subsidy for pensioners on a low income.

If you don't qualify for the card, you still get prescriptions and Medicare benefits at the normal rate.  That's what your visa fees pay for.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lenses said:

Hi All,

Sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong place, but I wanted it to land where parent visa applicants are currently reading.

It looks like government are trying to pass a bill (*subject to legislation) to have newly arrived migrants granted PR after Ist Jul 18 wait 4 years before they are eligible to the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card and a number of other things:

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/05_2018/updated_original_factsheet_-_encouraging_self_sufficiency_for_newly_arrived_migrants_-_4_year_narwp_1_0.pdf

Should we start writing to the Greens, etc who supported the Assurance of Support changes?

As far as I can make out, you have to ve resident for at least 10 years anyway, so it makes no difference.  Have I got that wrong?  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

As far as I can make out, you have to ve resident for at least 10 years anyway, so it makes no difference.  Have I got that wrong?  

What I will try to find out is should the need arise that you need in home care before the 10 years is up, do you qualify for subsidised care or be whacked for higher charges? 

• Thanks 2

My understanding is if you apply for a contributory parent visa you need to be PR for 10 years before the aged pension.

If the bill goes ahead it would make the wait ANOTHER 4 years after PR for:

 Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card  Low Income Health Care Card

I was trying to work out is if you need the above card( or cards) to get seniors rates on prescription medication and as Ramot asks would you get in home care straight away when you have PR or have to wait on the above cards?  Hopefully you don't have to wait 10 years until eligible to aged pension!?!

3 hours ago, Lenses said:

Hi All,

Please excuse me if I'm mistaken but as I understand it, there are two different cards available to pensioners. One is the commonwealth seniors' card and the other is the pensioners' card.

The commonwealth seniors' card entitles you to various discounts that (in my opinion) are easy to live without. In New South Wales it entitles you to a Gold Opal card - which caps your costs on Public transport (train, bus and ferry) to $2.50 per day. A fantastic perk which enables us to travel far and wide without a second thought. Possibly there are similar schemes in other states?

The pensioners' card is different - it only goes to people receiving the state pension, which is a benefit paid to those on a low income. The pensioners' card gives discounts on (I believe) important living expenses such as power. This Australian state pension is the one you can't apply for until you've been in the country for ten years.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

Please excuse me if I'm mistaken but as I understand it, there are two different cards available to pensioners. One is the commonwealth seniors' card and the other is the pensioners' card.

The commonwealth seniors' card entitles you to various discounts that (in my opinion) are easy to live without. In New South Wales it entitles you to a Gold Opal card - which caps your costs on Public transport (train, bus and ferry) to $2.50 per day. A fantastic perk which enables us to travel far and wide without a second thought. Possibly there are similar schemes in other states?

The pensioners' card is different - it only goes to people receiving the state pension, which is a benefit paid to those on a low income. The pensioners' card gives discounts on (I believe) important living expenses such as power. This Australian state pension is the one you can't apply for until you've been in the country for ten years.

Not quite.

The NSW Seniors card is available to everyone who is over 60 and retired. It is this card that qualifies you for the Gold Opal plus some other, lesser perks. Other states might have an equivalent. Funded by the State Government.

The Commonwealth Seniors Health card is harder to get nowadays but is basically for people who meet an income test but DONT qualify for an Aged Pension. Eligibility for this one changed a while ago. Super income used not to be counted in the income test, but is now. It is this card that qualifies non-pensioners to discounted scripts. It is much prized by self-funded retirees and as its name suggests is funded by the Commonwealth or Federal government.

Then I understand that there is a Pensioners Concession Card with reduced price scripts and other discounts. Obviously it is this card that Aged Pensioners and other Benefit recipients get automatically.

• Like 3

So to summarise if I have understood this correctly, there are 3 cards.  Cont Parent Visa holders at some point will be eligible to:

NSW Seniors card = Gold Opal and a few other minor discounts, ie not worth much, get this immediately.

Pensioners Concession Card = Only get this card when you get the aged pension, ie 10 years after being a PR:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/pensioner-concession-card/eligibility/who-can-get-it

Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card = Qualifies non-pensioners to discounted scripts, BUT this is the bill govt are trying to put through to have PR’s wait 4 years.  Subject to the passage of legislation****  If PR approved before 1st July you will get this card, after 1st July if the legislation is passed you will wait another 4 years (after you get PR).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenses said:

My understanding is if you apply for a contributory parent visa you need to be PR for 10 years before the aged pension.

If the bill goes ahead it would make the wait ANOTHER 4 years after PR for:

 Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card  Low Income Health Care Card

I was trying to work out is if you need the above card( or cards) to get seniors rates on prescription medication and as Ramot asks would you get in home care straight away when you have PR or have to wait on the above cards?  Hopefully you don't have to wait 10 years until eligible to aged pension!?!

You cannot get the aged pension until you have been there for 10 years. Fair enough though, you can't move somewhere and expect to start getting given money for the rest of your life.

• Like 6