Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

My apologies for any upset I may have caused to anyone and this was absolutely not my intention. It was supposed to be more of a pop at myself, as I had felt guilty for being a little rough on the young man in a previous post.

Anyway I hope everyone’s having a wonderful weekend, it’s another long bank-holiday weekend here, a little cooler but still lots of sunshine.

It made me laugh, as my Gran always used to say she was part of the "blue rinse brigade", and for her and her friends it was just a funny off the cuff remark! I always said I wanted coloured hair so I'd be starting the alternate group, the "pink rinse brigade"!!

Maybe I'm just weird but a good sense of humour is what's kept me sane through several visa processes, success and failure, and without it I'd have gone under years ago

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Calmac said:

Thanks Catlady...we have not yet withdrawn the application and will wait until the last moment in case we get a lottery boost.

We made the decision effectively at Christmas when we visited family for a couple of months. What might have been achievable price wise in 2015/16 had simply gone beyond reach.

I will certainly complete an online feedback form to comment on the current farcical situation....we fondly imagined18 months wait at the time and in those cicumstances might have made it!

Sad to hear of your decision, I imagine there's many out there in the same boat. I honestly think many should consider spending that huge chunk of visa money on flights out to Oz to visit family. You  can stay for several months a year, could even fly business class if cattle class gets too much. I know people will say there will come a time that the flights will be too much. That's probably true but many fly out in their 70's and 80's. By the time we can't manage a flight the chances are we won't be able to manage enjoyable living and fun anyway so it won't matter where we live. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Calmac said:

About 4 years since the decision was made to apply and just over 3 since application finalised and submitted. So much has changed in that period personally, financially  and politically. Property prices have continued to rise in Melbourne and drop in North East England; Brexit has damaged the exchange rate; and when you are in your late sixties/ early seventies health issues can arise.

Application dropped and we'll just have to take the loss of the initial payment!

I really feel your anguish.  Can you not pool your resources and go down the granny annexe route like some of us are? Although I know it’s not for everyone. Hope you do manage to sort something after all this painful wait. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Calmac said:

About 4 years since the decision was made to apply and just over 3 since application finalised and submitted. So much has changed in that period personally, financially  and politically. Property prices have continued to rise in Melbourne and drop in North East England; Brexit has damaged the exchange rate; and when you are in your late sixties/ early seventies health issues can arise.

Application dropped and we'll just have to take the loss of the initial payment!

I understand the finances only too well - just substitute North Wales and Sydney and you have a perfect financial storm to match your own. We were very lucky, firstly that we got our visa just before the current fiasco masquerading as a visa process. Secondly we had already decided we didn't want to live in Sydney and would be happier in a seaside town down the coast - more like the town we were leaving. Prices there had rocketed up but we could still just about afford it if we bought a smaller house needing work. Is there no chance that you could buy within reach of Melbourne e.g. Ballerat (one hour by train) or Geelong (also one hour by train) ? It seems such a shame to have gone through all this for nothing.

Having said that, we were talking about staying in England when we were finally free to move over and found it a worrying time financially. There comes a point when you have to throw in the towel. As someone else said, don't drop out officially till the very last minute - you have nothing to lose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have written before about how important it is to look long term at the costs of living here, not just we can afford it now.

The move alone will be expensive, and depending on where you live in U.K. The reality of the cost of housing of where you are moving to here against where you have moved from. as Sydney Melbourne prices compare to London but seems to come as a shock to many.

When we came here 15 years ago, there were $3 to the pound, and the cost of living was much cheaper, so your money went much further. More couples that we know have returned to UK in the last 6 months than ever before, most really didn't want to leave. Free NHS is a big factor, 

The amount you have to put down should you need to go into care is exhorbitant, you need to be aware of this. In home care seems fairly reasonable in Qld.

One thing parents who move here should do is check every discount they are entitled to as a pensioner, eg some utility bills. States differ, but there is help. Join into local activities and clubs to meet people.

Sorry if any of this is depressing but they are important things to consider long term, living here can be a big adjustment and I think I am probably one of the only posters who has lived here for any length of time and seen how much the cost of living has increased.

Having written the above, we love living here, have an active social life, we have made great friends and are part of a very caring group who genuinely look out for each other, have no desire to leave. Even though you might have to pay towards your medical costs here, I can't fault the health service here where we live on the Sunshine Coast  Qld. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, ramot said:

I have written before about how important it is to look long term at the costs of living here, not just we can afford it now.

The move alone will be expensive, and depending on where you live in U.K. The reality of the cost of housing of where you are moving to here against where you have moved from. as Sydney Melbourne prices compare to London but seems to come as a shock to many.

When we came here 15 years ago, there were $3 to the pound, and the cost of living was much cheaper, so your money went much further. More couples that we know have returned to UK in the last 6 months than ever before, most really didn't want to leave. Free NHS is a big factor, 

The amount you have to put down should you need to go into care is exhorbitant, you need to be aware of this. In home care seems fairly reasonable in Qld.

One thing parents who move here should do is check every discount they are entitled to as a pensioner, eg some utility bills. States differ, but there is help. Join into local activities and clubs to meet people.

Sorry if any of this is depressing but they are important things to consider long term, living here can be a big adjustment and I think I am probably one of the only posters who has lived here for any length of time and seen how much the cost of living has increased.

Having written the above, we love living here, have an active social life, we have made great friends and are part of a very caring group who genuinely look out for each other, have no desire to leave. Even though you might have to pay towards your medical costs here, I can't fault the health service here where we live on the Sunshine Coast  Qld. 

Thank you Ramot for taking the time to give us all this insight to living in Aus.. I  total agree with everything you say as we moved to Spain 14 years ago when we were getting €1.60 to the £1 and now it's not much better than €1.10 , a lot of people we know also moved back to UK for the same reasons. 

There is a big difference between going somewhere on holiday and actually living there, we love it here and would not be moving except we now have 2 granddaughters in Adelaide and really don't want to miss out on them growing up. We won't be living in their pockets but we will be close enough to help out with childcare when needed and our son and daughter in law will also help us out in our old age.

Life is what you make it and you have to be prepared to make big changes when you move to a different country,  we can't wait to start our new adventure in Australia but will downsize considerable so we can put a lump sum in the bank incase our pensions don't always cover our costs. We don't want yo be a burden to our family or the Australian people.

It would be nice to have some idea of how much longer we will be waiting before we get the all important Visa, we are not getting any younger I'm 66 and my husband is 76. Fingets crossed we will be there this time next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

I understand the finances only too well - just substitute North Wales and Sydney and you have a perfect financial storm to match your own. We were very lucky, firstly that we got our visa just before the current fiasco masquerading as a visa process. Secondly we had already decided we didn't want to live in Sydney and would be happier in a seaside town down the coast - more like the town we were leaving. Prices there had rocketed up but we could still just about afford it if we bought a smaller house needing work. Is there no chance that you could buy within reach of Melbourne e.g. Ballerat (one hour by train) or Geelong (also one hour by train) ? It seems such a shame to have gone through all this for nothing.

Having said that, we were talking about staying in England when we were finally free to move over and found it a worrying time financially. There comes a point when you have to throw in the towel. As someone else said, don't drop out officially till the very last minute - you have nothing to lose.

Thanks Fisher...we hoped to be helping on the school run, and generally be available to assist with baby sitting duties. Ballarat and the likes would just be too far out!

I'll keep on with the lottery and annual visits I think.  It's nice to get way from a north east winter for a couple of months a year!

• Like 4

Having read posts about people returning to UK after long periods abroad can I just add a wee warning? 

Obviously people paid into and used NHS whilst they were living here. But given the sorry state of affairs now with an underfunded NHS creaking at the seams trying to cope with the extra pressures caused by an increasing population and a growing elderly population ( in common with Australia and other countries)  the UK govt are obviously looking at ways to rectify this. 

There have been grumbles in the past in various media about the costs of expats returning home for free treatment - and especially expensive treatment as they are older - just like Australia is now grumbling about Medicare costs for older parent immigrants who in many cases are paying large sums of money towards their visas. 

Last month I had a hospital appointment - first in ages -  I had to fill in forms asking lots of questions including was I a British  citizen etc and also how long I had been resident in the UK for!

So I’m not saying you won’t get free NHS treatment in the future if you return home after a long absence because I don’t know,  I’m just saying it looks as though perhaps it’s something that’s being considered? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ramot said:

It's not depressing, Ramot, it's realistic.

Things we did to avoid nasty suprises on arrival?   

1) checking out the property web sites on a weekly basis for two years before we moved.  

2) Calculated our monthly living costs in the UK, added 25% and changed the total into dollars at a modest 1.6 to the pound. It gave us a monthly budget that we have been able to stick to and could cut back on if we had to.

Since arriving we  have bought a much cheaper house than we could have afforded, leaving some capital to invest elsewhere and hopefully produce an extra income.

Finally - We will enjoy being here for our grandchildren while they are tiny but we are prepared to return to the UK if things don't work out financially. 

The big scary for me is the cost of later life care.  But care costs are horrendous in the UK too. I think the difficult part is acknowledging a need to return to the UK if necessary, before you get too decrepit to make the trip!!   

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Having read posts about people returning to UK after long periods abroad can I just add a wee warning? 

Obviously people paid into and used NHS whilst they were living here. But given the sorry state of affairs now with an underfunded NHS creaking at the seams trying to cope with the extra pressures caused by an increasing population and a growing elderly population ( in common with Australia and other countries)  the UK govt are obviously looking at ways to rectify this. 

There have been grumbles in the past in various media about the costs of expats returning home for free treatment - and especially expensive treatment as they are older - just like Australia is now grumbling about Medicare costs for older parent immigrants who in many cases are paying large sums of money towards their visas. 

Last month I had a hospital appointment - first in ages -  I had to fill in forms asking lots of questions including was I a British  citizen etc and also how long I had been resident in the UK for!

So I’m not saying you won’t get free NHS treatment in the future if you return home after a long absence because I don’t know,  I’m just saying it looks as though perhaps it’s something that’s being considered? 

Yes, this is another worrying trend. Although the state the NHS is in at the moment, I'm not sure it will exist in its current form for much longer. I think you'll find they've tightened up on charging overseas visitors for treatment ( I mean overseas visitors who are not UK citizens) at the moment and that's why you were asked to fill in forms giving your citizenship status.

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 2

Yes I think people in Australia would be shocked if they saw how bad the NHS is now! Huge waiting lists,  treatment in corridors and 2-3 weeks wait before you can even get to see a GP!!  Last week I tried to get an appointment to see my doctor - there are 3- 4 doctors at that surgery. First available appt was 12 June! ?

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, sh aron said:

Hi everyone 

is there any link where we can find how many visas are granted this year and how many  visas spaces  left ?

thanks

If there is I have not found it. It would be really useful to have that sort of information and transparency, but so far we all seem to have to just muddle along in the dark.

@Fisher1 said “Yes, this is another worrying trend. Although the state the NHS is in at the moment, I'm not sure it will exist in its current form for much longer. I think you'll find they've tightened up on charging overseas visitors for treatment ( I mean overseas visitors who are not UK citizens) at the moment and that's why you were asked to fill in forms giving your citizenship status”

Yes  that’s right but it just made me wonder whether they would take it further -  eg to long term expats - given that it’s already been talked about in various media. Every country is facing huge demands from an growing elderly population. I can envisage everyone having to have some sort of health insurance before they can immigrate/ return. In UK when travelling abroad just for holidays we have to or should take out travel insurance which also covers medical costs so maybe govts worldwide will be looking at  something similar for people moving / returning to their countries ? 

As you say NHS is unlikely to survive without some drastic injection of cash - from wherever and whoever!!  And just like Australian tax payers,  the UK tax payers won’t take kindly to being asked to pay more money to provide NHS services to other people. Sad fact of life everywhere.  

Edited by LindaH27

10 hours ago, ramot said:

Great post. One thing to mention re needing to go into care, very few now get that free unless of course you have no means to pay but I guess that's the same in Oz.  You have to pay and that includes selling your house to do so. Once your assets get down to £23k your contributions stop and the payments are covered by the state. Some go into nicer, private homes when they start off and have the ability to pay to however once you get down £23k and the state starts paying you will have to either move to a state care home or somehow top up the difference as there is a maximum the state will pay.  Even people with very advanced dementia will not get it covered by the NHS, even though they can no way care for rhemselves. 

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Yes, this is another worrying trend. Although the state the NHS is in at the moment, I'm not sure it will exist in its current form for much longer. I think you'll find they've tightened up on charging overseas visitors for treatment ( I mean overseas visitors who are not UK citizens) at the moment and that's why you were asked to fill in forms giving your citizenship status.

You have to be uk residents not just citizens. If you don't reside in the uk you are not entitled to free NHS regardless of citizenship 

19 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You have to be uk residents not just citizens. If you don't reside in the uk you are not entitled to free NHS regardless of citizenship 

I was under the impression that UK citizens could still get treatment in the UK if they were taken ill there - particularly as there is a reciprocal agreement with Australia?   The question about residence is how long you need to be there before you are officially considered a resident again?   

31 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Great post. One thing to mention re needing to go into care, very few now get that free unless of course you have no means to pay but I guess that's the same in Oz.  You have to pay and that includes selling your house to do so. Once your assets get down to £23k your contributions stop and the payments are covered by the state. Some go into nicer, private homes when they start off and have the ability to pay to however once you get down £23k and the state starts paying you will have to either move to a state care home or somehow top up the difference as there is a maximum the state will pay.  Even people with very advanced dementia will not get it covered by the NHS, even though they can no way care for rhemselves. 

Yes, care costs are horrendous in the UK. Having watched my mother's life savings being gobbled up at the rate of a thousand pounds a week, I find the whole notion of extreme old age absolutely terrifying.  If you stay home and your long suffering partner tries to care for you, payments for respite help depend on where you live and what your council can afford. I don't know what the answer is so I tend to stick my head in the sand.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I was under the impression that UK citizens could still get treatment in the UK if they were taken ill there - particularly as there is a reciprocal agreement with Australia?   The question about residence is how long you need to be there before you are officially considered a resident again?   

Yes but Reciprocity only covers unforeseen emergency etc. Not pre existing conditions or elective surgery. Eg hip replacement may covered if broken in an accident but probably not if it’s an on going condition and probably not prescriptive medicine. 

Just found this

https://www.hr.admin.cam.ac.uk/hr-services/relocating-uk/living-uk/healthcare/eligibility-nhs-treatment

it specifically mentions the following 

In practice, you are normally ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK if you are living and working in the UK and are:

• A British citizen

• Naturalised within the UK

• Settled within the UK (commonly referred to as holding Indefinite Leave to Remain)

British citizens/EEA/Swiss nationals who are visiting the UK may be charged for NHS services they receive at the point of accessing care. The final decision to charge will rest with the healthcare provider.

no time limit  given for residency though 

22 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Sad to hear of your decision, I imagine there's many out there in the same boat. I honestly think many should consider spending that huge chunk of visa money on flights out to Oz to visit family. You  can stay for several months a year, could even fly business class if cattle class gets too much. I know people will say there will come a time that the flights will be too much. That's probably true but many fly out in their 70's and 80's. By the time we can't manage a flight the chances are we won't be able to manage enjoyable living and fun anyway so it won't matter where we live. 

For us this was not an option because it was impossible to find anyone who would insure us for longer than thirty days once we turned sixty five. Several people have said on here that longer periods can be insured well into old age, but when we made our decision we had already searched high and low with no success ... So dont bank on being able to get travel insurance for long term visits.

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Just found this

https://www.hr.admin.cam.ac.uk/hr-services/relocating-uk/living-uk/healthcare/eligibility-nhs-treatment

it specifically mentions the following 

In practice, you are normally ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK if you are living and working in the UK and are:

• A British citizen

• Naturalised within the UK

• Settled within the UK (commonly referred to as holding Indefinite Leave to Remain)

British citizens/EEA/Swiss nationals who are visiting the UK may be charged for NHS services they receive at the point of accessing care. The final decision to charge will rest with the healthcare provider.

no time limit  given for residency though 

I would imagine if you are resident for tax you would be considered resident for NHS provision? It seems that you are resident for UK twx if you spend more than six months in the UK or if you have a residence for your sole occupancy for more than thirty days. I think so called health tourism is ruled out but if you were temporarily resident, who knows ... One of the main complaints about frozen pensions is that we frozen pensioners are saving the government money by NOT using the NHS ...

Edited by Fisher1

4 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Under the agreement  you are entitled to emergency care of course. This would not cover existing conditions or ongoing conditions.  It would also not cover going into care homes,. 

5 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

honestly not looking to return to the UK once we've gone except for the odd family event ie marriage or funeral!