Guest guest36187

8 hours ago, gafuk said:

YES YIPEEE !!! We had our visa granted today !!!whoooohoo!

Thanks for helping us to this point... I just hope we like it ?

Great news!! We moved on today aswell, our AOS acceptance letter was received today. Getting there slowly but surely ?

Edited by MikenC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tidang said:

Congrats to Gafuk hope you all the best in Oz. Did you pay 2nd VAC payment by cheque bank ??? 

We paid it to our daughter who got a bank cheque which was given to our agent, she was tempted to give it to a Mercedes dealership !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Those of you in Oz on a 12mth 600 visa.

Do you fill in form 85 for inland revenue or wait until you have an Australian tax number and 143 visa please. 

Thanks! 

We didn’t , 600 Visa is a tourist visa so until we have residency we are still under UK tax laws. At least that’s the way we view it.

Geoff & Gill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

We didn’t , 600 Visa is a tourist visa so until we have residency we are still under UK tax laws. At least that’s the way we view it.

Geoff & Gill

I thought so was double checking. Another thing crossed off the long list then ??

As mentioned by @bry45

i also have a Westpac account. Have now registered for money transfers with them, was very quick.

they said they will price match any online quotes I get on the day I want to move money

I have to transfer from my UK Bank to their London bank who then transfer to the Oz one, no fees! 

goes in quicker than money transfer  companies and feel secure with them. 

Will try it out when the time comes and see if they do price match etc. 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

Whatever your dealings with you do with the UK tax, document everything, with copies of anything. I have my 143 and moved out here in August 2017. I wrote to inform them of my intentions, I wrote to tell them my temporary address, then again to tell them my permanent address.

In October I received a letter telling me I would need to fill in a tax return. I stupidly assumed they meant at the end of the tax year. In November I received a letter demanding a tax return within a month of the letter date. As it had been incorrectly addressed, I had two weeks left to comply before incurring a fine. I wrote pointing out that I couldn't complete a tax return until April, but enclosing form 85 on my own initiative. No response. 

In February I began the process of claiming relief from dual taxation, by sending a form to the UK tax office via the Aus authorities. Australian tax office wrote confirming their official acknowledgement of my request had been forwarded to London. No response. 

In March the UK tax office sent me my coding for 2017-2018.  Not only was there no mention of my application under the dual taxation agreement but they proposed to charge me income tax of 1200 pounds on the buy to let property I had sold last October! The letter was also incorrectly addressed. 

The two letters they have sent me have both exhorted me to file my tax return online. Unfortunately the UK tax website does not allow you to file online if you live outside the UK ...

The one bright spot in all of this is that you can usually get them on the phone - unlike in the UK - and it is very cheap on Skype. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:
  • @Kathss56. Did you set up westpac account in Australia or in Uk? I have westpac set up in Australia but they don't seem to know about money transfers and in fact charge me whenever money is paid  into that account! 

I opened account online whilst in the UK.i then received my bank account number etc., via email.  I was then  asked to go into a branch in Oz with ID on my next trip. I did this and recvd  bank card to my Oz address  

I then automatically received a welcome email from their money fx transfer team.( I would go online if I were you and look at Westpac FX)

I replied back to them ( 8mths later) saying please register me, they then sent me an email with their London bank details.

i gave  them my UK bank details, so when I’m ready  I just transfer to Westpac London who in turn move money into my Oz account with no fees!  Price match for transfer rates was promised ??

Edited by Kathss56

Thank you so much! Will check it out online. Not sure whether to do it now as unsure when my next visit will be as daughter talking about coming home this year sometime for a holiday. Wonder how it works when you already have a  bank account with them ? Will see what I can find out. 

13 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Thank you so much! Will check it out online. Not sure whether to do it now as unsure when my next visit will be as daughter talking about coming home this year sometime for a holiday. Wonder how it works when you already have a  bank account with them ? Will see what I can find out. 

Contact London branch and ask. Maybe because you opened in Oz you didn’t get the welcome email I did 

Edited by Kathss56

9 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Whatever your dealings with you do with the UK tax, document everything, with copies of anything. I have my 143 and moved out here in August 2017. I wrote to inform them of my intentions, I wrote to tell them my temporary address, then again to tell them my permanent address.

In October I received a letter telling me I would need to fill in a tax return. I stupidly assumed they meant at the end of the tax year. In November I received a letter demanding a tax return within a month of the letter date. As it had been incorrectly addressed, I had two weeks left to comply before incurring a fine. I wrote pointing out that I couldn't complete a tax return until April, but enclosing form 85 on my own initiative. No response. 

In February I began the process of claiming relief from dual taxation, by sending a form to the UK tax office via the Aus authorities. Australian tax office wrote confirming their official acknowledgement of my request had been forwarded to London. No response. 

In March the UK tax office sent me my coding for 2017-2018.  Not only was there no mention of my application under the dual taxation agreement but they proposed to charge me income tax of 1200 pounds on the buy to let property I had sold last October! The letter was also incorrectly addressed. 

The two letters they have sent me have both exhorted me to file my tax return online. Unfortunately the UK tax website does not allow you to file online if you live outside the UK ...

The one bright spot in all of this is that you can usually get them on the phone - unlike in the UK - and it is very cheap on Skype. 

There is a requirement to submit a Non Resident CGT return if you dispose of a residential property in the UK when not resident.

The filing deadline for submitting a NRCGT return is 30 days from the date the sale completes.

This is to be distinguished from the submission of an annual tax return under Self Assessment.

You can lodge a tax return online using commercial software - or (dare I suggest) - a tax accountant.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suzy123 said:

Would you mind to share what you need to provide?

Income tax assessment 2016 and 2017. 2 recent payslips for 2018. I also included PAYG summaries, because my income tax assessment didn't show enough income to meet the requirements. They questioned this during the interview, but it was approved a few days later.

1 hour ago, Geoffandgill said:

That definitely beats the record for AoS applications!

Yes - filing in the application online, submitting the original documents to centrelink, getting called for an interview and lodging the bond at the bank was really quick - it all happened in a week or two, but we're still waiting for the AoS approval letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1