Guest guest36187

42 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I think you can only buy a new build on yr visa? Can’t remember. So maybe you would,have to rent or squash in with the rellies  until PR comes through??

42 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I think you can only buy a new build on yr visa? Can’t remember. So maybe you would,have to rent or squash in with the rellies  until PR comes through??

@Suzyq might be be something in this article 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Give them a chance, you do know how slowly the mail moves in Australia? Can be 3 weeks even just Brisbane to Gold Coast.....

If only you were joking, it took 3 months for a letter from Lockyer Vallley to Durack.  

‘Then we had to wait 5 months for one going to Melbourne and that was before the Christmas rush.

I looked at sending a parcel home to my mum for her birthday it was going to be around $98 for ‘Under 1kg.

2 hours ago, AMP said:

Re importing personal goods including furniture on a 600 visitor visa.

Just to let you all know that my furniture  has now arrived, all intact and no issues with customs/quarantine.  I didn’t have to do anything further after it left the Uk other than signing and returning one form stating whether or not I was importing any alochol (which I was  it was all very simply delivered direct to my apartment, all unwrapped,  put in place and packaging removed.  I have to say though that the un- wrappers here were no where near as efficient as the wrappers in the UK had been - maybe it’s a heat effect!

I had had a few reservations about whether there would be any problems, given that I was importing on a 600 visitor visa, particularly since most shipping agents  had said they could only do the shipment if I had a permanent residence visa.  The firm I used said it would be ok as long as  my tourist visa was for at least a 12month stay.  Some other firms had suggested I needed to ship it in my daughter’s name but then she would have had to state that it was all her personal possessions which she had personally owned for over two years.  I resisted going along that route as it seemed underhand and I didn’t want  to risk either getting her or me into trouble. So, it all went in my name and thankfully there were no problems at all.  It’s super to have all my things here, though as it took 14 weeks to arrive I had had plenty of time to get used to a totally minimalistic look so it now looks rather cluttered!!  I’m sure I’ll soon get used to it! 

Hi glad all ok with your things must make you feel more at home ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AMP said:

Just to let you all know that my furniture  has now arrived, all intact and no issues with customs/quarantine.  I didn’t have to do anything further after it left the Uk other than signing and returning one form stating whether or not I was importing any alochol (which I was  it was all very simply delivered direct to my apartment, all unwrapped,  put in place and packaging removed.  I have to say though that the un- wrappers here were no where near as efficient as the wrappers in the UK had been - maybe it’s a heat effect!

I had had a few reservations about whether there would be any problems, given that I was importing on a 600 visitor visa, particularly since most shipping agents  had said they could only do the shipment if I had a permanent residence visa.  The firm I used said it would be ok as long as  my tourist visa was for at least a 12month stay.  Some other firms had suggested I needed to ship it in my daughter’s name but then she would have had to state that it was all her personal possessions which she had personally owned for over two years.  I resisted going along that route as it seemed underhand and I didn’t want  to risk either getting her or me into trouble. So, it all went in my name and thankfully there were no problems at all.  It’s super to have all my things here, though as it took 14 weeks to arrive I had had plenty of time to get used to a totally minimalistic look so it now looks rather cluttered!!  I’m sure I’ll soon get used to it! 

Hi AMP, glad to hear your things have arrived in 'only' fourteen weeks ... We have just received ours after nineteen weeks! Infuriating because it was stuck in Sydney border control for seven weeks. I know what you mean about the minimalist look - it's so nice to have our things but ther seems to be furniture everywhere :-) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AMP said:

Can I ask how you ensured you got the 12 months option please? My understanding is that the 600 can be issued for 3, 6 or 12 months and it is at the discretion of whoever picks up your application as to which you are awarded? I am also hoping to get a 600 so I can move over while I wait for my 143.

5 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Yes we can buy a new build, just don't want one.  In the meantime we are squashed in with my son, wife and grandson, which has been a breeze so far, but other half arrives at the end of Jan for 8 weeks....I think it's going to be interesting then!!! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

@Suzyq might be be something in this article 

Thanks Kathss56, I've written an email to the FIRB, once back in November and again on the advice of an FIRB agent, neither have been responded to. I'm going to call again and see what they have to say. Meanwhile calling anyone knowing a good solicitor in WA!

I am awaiting a call back from one on Monday, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of names in the bag.

Edited by Suzyq
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi AMP, glad to hear your things have arrived in 'only' fourteen weeks ... We have just received ours after nineteen weeks! Infuriating because it was stuck in Sydney border control for seven weeks. I know what you mean about the minimalist look - it's so nice to have our things but ther seems to be furniture everywhere :-) 

PS. Ref, my removals which took from August 18th to last Monday January 8th ... I used PPS. They charged £2800 for a part load of fifty packages including the following furniture: one double bed, one sofa bed, one small sideboard, one large coffee table, one medium sized bookcase, one IKEA chair plus footstool, one six place heavy wooden table with six chairs, two bedside tables, a small set of drawers and a washing machine. The household items were mostly packed in standard sized cardboard boxes. We also had golf clubs, guitar, mandolin, two airers and an ironing board. The packing was excellent without a single breakage - even my mother's bone china soup dishes made it. The packers were punctual, fast and efficient and the delivery crew were also excellent. 

THE BIG PROBLEM was not particularly the time it all took, but the huge underestimation of the time given by PPS  (ten to twelve weeks with ten to fifteen days with border control) I knew it would take a long time because we were sending a part load and would therefore have to wait for a container to fill but had  we been warned it could take up to twenty weeks,  we would probably have abandoned the nearly new washing machine and the sofa bed - a comfortable bed instead of a blow up mattress at this end would have made such a difference to the wait, as would an absence of hand washing/ trips to the launderette!

If I could offer a single piece of advice on choosing what to take and what to leave - ask yourself how you are going to manage without each item for a minimum of ten weeks. Then decide.

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

7 weeks, wow, that must have been frustrating.Mine was stuck at border control for 4 weeks which I thought was bad enough, but then it was over the Christmas holiday period (and as it’s school summer holidays everywhere will be short staffed so it was understandable).  Glad you also now have your things as well.  It certainly makes it all feel very like home again.  My granddaughter is delighting in helping me to sort out all my costume jewellery, general “bits” and, of course, the photos.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, suelear said:

Can I ask how you ensured you got the 12 months option please? My understanding is that the 600 can be issued for 3, 6 or 12 months and it is at the discretion of whoever picks up your application as to which you are awarded? I am also hoping to get a 600 so I can move over while I wait for my 143.

No problem getting 12 months, basically when you apply on line that is simply one of the options, but you do not get this longer term option with an E 600 visa.its all done on line but there are a lot of questions and this visa also is not free. Can’t remember the actual price but it’s less than £100.  If you go on line then you can fill in the application and will then see what the questions are, though you have to complete each page before the next one is thrown up.  The payment requirement only comes, if I remember correctly, once the visa has been agreed.  

The more important issue for many is how to get a 600 visa with more than 12 month validity and no conditions attached.   Mine allows 12 month maximum stay on each re-entry but has a multiple entry option and a 5 year validity.  There was nowhere on the application for me to specify the duration of validity that I wanted and I think this is where the assessing officer has discretion.   When did you apply for your 143? Where you stand in the queue is one of the questions they ask, so it’s sounds as though that is one of the elements they consider in making the decision. I’m happy for you to send me a personal message if you have other questions or if you feel it would help to compare situations. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

PS. Ref, my removals which took from August 18th to last Monday January 8th ... I used PPS. They charged £2800 for a part load of fifty packages including the following furniture: one double bed, one sofa bed, one small sideboard, one large coffee table, one medium sized bookcase, one IKEA chair plus footstool, one six place heavy wooden table with six chairs, two bedside tables, a small set of drawers and a washing machine. The household items were mostly packed in standard sized cardboard boxes. We also had golf clubs, guitar, mandolin, two airers and an ironing board. The packing was excellent without a single breakage - even my mother's bone china soup dishes made it. The packers were punctual, fast and efficient and the delivery crew were also excellent. 

THE BIG PROBLEM was not particularly the time it all took, but the huge underestimation of the time given by PPS  (ten to twelve weeks with ten to fifteen days with border control) I knew it would take a long time because we were sending a part load and would therefore have to wait for a container to fill but had  we been warned it could take up to twenty weeks,  we would probably have abandoned the nearly new washing machine and the sofa bed - a comfortable bed instead of a blow up mattress at this end would have made such a difference to the wait, as would an absence of hand washing/ trips to the launderette!

If I could offer a single piece of advice on choosing what to take and what to leave - ask yourself how you are going to manage without each item for a minimum of ten weeks. Then decide.

I’d agree totally with your advice above.  I managed fine with all things borrowed from either my son or daughter, but it’s lovely now having all my own things, particularly all my crockery and cutlery so that I can totally fill the dishwasher without running out!  I didn’t bring any white goods over, but I brought virtually everything else.  72 packages in total, some quite small, but all shapes and sizes including my bike, garage and gardening tools as well as furniture.   It was all excellently packed, though it still amazes me how much paper they used.  They specifically advised  about having anything in plastic bags (including advice not to use vacuum bags) because of the risk of mildew.  I used John Mason and  the total cost was £2793 for 575 cubic feet. This was the total amount I paid and covered everything.  It included customs and clearance fees plus a small optional amount for insurance in case the container was picked out for decontamination spraying, which can be a random decision.  It was slightly less than the estimated cost as once it is all packed they take everything to the warehouse, stack it and then measure and invoice for the actually volume.  I mentioned on this blog last year that there can be a big difference between removal firms in terms of assessed volume so it’s definitely worth having several home assessed quotes which they seem quite happy to give and which are very painless, 

Extra note about the air bed.  I had 3 months on a double, full size blow up bed (Aldi).  I slept better on there than I have slept for years, it was so comfortable!!  I’m sleeping less well now that I have my own bed even 5iugh it’s a very good and very comfortable one.    It would make a difference I suppose if the air bed had to be shared with another person but it was certainly absolutely fine for mean my own. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AMP said:

7 weeks, wow, that must have been frustrating.Mine was stuck at border control for 4 weeks which I thought was bad enough, but then it was over the Christmas holiday period (and as it’s school summer holidays everywhere will be short staffed so it was understandable).  Glad you also now have your things as well.  It certainly makes it all feel very like home again.  My granddaughter is delighting in helping me to sort out all my costume jewellery, general “bits” and, of course, the photos.

My Movecube left the UK 19th October and arrived at my home 9th January - just under 12 weeks. It was only at Customs for 4 days.  I wonder why the transit times are so different - maybe it depends on the route taken and the number of drops and pick-ups at different harbours along the route, but I can't understand the differing delays at Customs.  Just luck of the draw maybe. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AMP said:

I always had the photographs - I scanned them all before I left, left the originals with my sister and have the whole lot saved online to print out as and when. Mind you, it took me several days to do it! I did the same thing with crucial paperwork, enabling us to get all important docs into one folder rather than the six box files we yanked down from the loft last July ..

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AMP said:

I’d agree totally with your advice above.  I managed fine with all things borrowed from either my son or daughter, but it’s lovely now having all my own things, particularly all my crockery and cutlery so that I can totally fill the dishwasher without running out!  I didn’t bring any white goods over, but I brought virtually everything else.  72 packages in total, some quite small, but all shapes and sizes including my bike, garage and gardening tools as well as furniture.   It was all excellently packed, though it still amazes me how much paper they used.  They specifically advised  about having anything in plastic bags (including advice not to use vacuum bags) because of the risk of mildew.  I used John Mason and  the total cost was £2793 for 575 cubic feet. This was the total amount I paid and covered everything.  It included customs and clearance fees plus a small optional amount for insurance in case the container was picked out for decontamination spraying, which can be a random decision.  It was slightly less than the estimated cost as once it is all packed they take everything to the warehouse, stack it and then measure and invoice for the actually volume.  I mentioned on this blog last year that there can be a big difference between removal firms in terms of assessed volume so it’s definitely worth having several home assessed quotes which they seem quite happy to give and which are very painless, 

Extra note about the air bed.  I had 3 months on a double, full size blow up bed (Aldi).  I slept better on there than I have slept for years, it was so comfortable!!  I’m sleeping less well now that I have my own bed even 5iugh it’s a very good and very comfortable one.    It would make a difference I suppose if the air bed had to be shared with another person but it was certainly absolutely fine for mean my own. 

Haha I agree about the air bed, we just got frustrated because ours ($57 at Kmart, electric pump included) failed after three months and we had to start re- inflating it in the middle of the night :-) God knows what the neighbours thought we were doing. Our second mattress only lasted a week, largely thanks to our two year old grandson using it as a trampoline ... But yes, comfortable enough, and we couldn't sleep the first few nights back in a real bed. The main problem with the blow up mattress was staggering to my feet in the morning ... It was a long way down!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

We are waiting for our 143 submitted on 23 June 2015. It's interesting to hear about the experiences of sending possessions to Oz. We are planning on travelling light and only taking personal things with us maybe a few exceptions. Just need to get through the medicals and then we can start to make plans. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Judy said:

We are waiting for our 143 submitted on 23 June 2015. It's interesting to hear about the experiences of sending possessions to Oz. We are planning on travelling light and only taking personal things with us maybe a few exceptions. Just need to get through the medicals and then we can start to make plans. 

There is a company called “send my bag”if you needed more allowance. Approx £160 for 30kilos, which is a lot cheaper than paying excess baggage at the airport! ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AMP said:

Have heard to put a few silica gel bags into the vacuum sacks. That stops it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Have heard to put a few silica gel bags into the vacuum sacks. That stops it.

I packed bedding etc in heavy duty polythene bags and  there was no problem with mildew, which I must admit hadn't occurred to me.  The bagged stuff was handy for stuffing into gaps in the cube, providing stability to the boxes and some protection for other individual unboxed items.  Also, I reckoned if Customs wanted to open the cube at least they could see the stuff in the bags and see that they tallied with the inventory.  But most of my stuff was packed into heavy duty cardboard boxes.   As it happens, they didn't open the cube anyway.  

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 5

On 13/01/2018 at 08:14, AMP said:

Hi AMP. Would you mind saying which company you used ?

Just an update, got an email on Friday from the case officer..... woohoo!!! They are looking for the outstanding AoS. I did this on 16/10/16 and still haven't received the phonecall. Going in to Centrelink in the morning... AGAIN. They also advised that they will be requesting 2nd vac of $87,200 once the AoS letter has been received.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Nicole Eire said:

Just an update, got an email on Friday from the case officer..... woohoo!!! They are looking for the outstanding AoS. I did this on 16/10/16 and still haven't received the phonecall. Going in to Centrelink in the morning... AGAIN. They also advised that they will be requesting 2nd vac of $87,200 once the AoS letter has been received.

Makes you wish you’d chased them for phone call now lol. You never know what to do for the best !!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Makes you wish you’d chased them for phone call now lol. You never know what to do for the best !!

I've been in to them twice now... cause I can't get through on the phone. I've been told that all was in order and I just needed to wait. So frustrating to be honest.

• Like 1

Just received the AOS letter in the mail yesterday. 

It took nearly 3 months from submitting the application to receiving the letter if that helps anyone timeline wise. 

Submitted form 80, police cert and the AOS letter yesterday evening. 

Our lodgement date was 18/03/2015, so hopefully a case officer isn't too far away...

• Like 8