Guest guest36187

Guest Gollywobbler
Given the hoops that Child-minders have to jump through in the UK, I imagine that being a Child-minder in Oz would even more difficult without a lot of work, tests and background checks:policeman:.

Happy to be corrected if that's not the case Gill.

Hi Les

I don't know, to be honest. ASCO regarded looking after children in your own home as being semi-skilled work. No formal qualifications were needed.

ASCO was last revised in 1997 or so. Yesterday, Australia moved on to ANZSCO, which is much newer. I don't know what ANZSCO says in any detail as yet. I've not read it in detail.

Everybody involved with skilled migration to Oz is reeling from all of the recent shocks and changes in that Stream. The Sinister Minister hasn't started on 'reforming' the Family Stream yet.....

He is shoving the price of CPVs upwards, however....

Cheers

Gill

Hi Sandy

And if you and Colin did it together? Or you and one of your daughters in law did it together?

I'm NOT trying to push you into anything. I'm merely trying to ask you what might be possible and sensible. If an idea is not a good one, we can ditch it and think of something else.

I think you are capable of earning much more than my mother is capable of earning. Mum likes folding leaflets because it is mindless enough work that it leaves her mind free to worrit about the family, if you see what I mean? Which is precisely why it also pays peanuts as well.....

I'm also not convinced that you would not brood and worry unless your mind is busy as well as your hands, if you see what I mean?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

of course, I hadn't thought of Colin or daughter in law helping. That sounds a possibility, but of course i would have to get qualified etc. With regard to keeping my mind active, that is a definate necessity. I will be looking at lots of ideas, including maybe helping with migration visas etc. but again need to look at getting qualified. trouble is my old brain won't be able to absorb enough to get serious qualifications but can learn from example etc. Thanks Gill, brilliant as usual.

regards

Sandy

Hi Gill,

of course, I hadn't thought of Colin or daughter in law helping. That sounds a possibility, but of course i would have to get qualified etc. With regard to keeping my mind active, that is a definate necessity. I will be looking at lots of ideas, including maybe helping with migration visas etc. but again need to look at getting qualified. trouble is my old brain won't be able to absorb enough to get serious qualifications but can learn from example etc. Thanks Gill, brilliant as usual.

regards

Sandy

Remember we were the post war children, no money, no shoes on our feet but WE SURVIVED :smile:...........in the past I have typed labels on a bettered old typewriter for 1p each 1000 at a time, made hand knitted garments for a tenner a time to feed the family in bad times, delivered free newspapers, delivered yellow pages etc etc, there are always options for the people who WANT to do it.....so let that be our motto(parents on PIO) we WILL and CAN SURVIVE, ok cuddles wont feed our bodies but they will feed our hearts and souls................the rest is easy :biggrin:

Phoebe

Remember we were the post war children, no money, no shoes on our feet but WE SURVIVED :smile:...........in the past I have typed labels on a bettered old typewriter for 1p each 1000 at a time, made hand knitted garments for a tenner a time to feed the family in bad times, delivered free newspapers, delivered yellow pages etc etc, there are always options for the people who WANT to do it.....so let that be our motto(parents on PIO) we WILL and CAN SURVIVE, ok cuddles wont feed our bodies but they will feed our hearts and souls................the rest is easy :biggrin:

Phoebe

you are so right, we do what it takes to survive, and anyway we are hardly likely to get to that stage again, after all,. we know how to live frugally as we have had plenty of practice!!:arghh:

you are so right, we do what it takes to survive, and anyway we are hardly likely to get to that stage again, after all,. we know how to live frugally as we have had plenty of practice!!:arghh:

What about the 'well known' auction site. Find something you are good at make it, buy it, sell it :yes:

Phoebe

Phoebe

You're quite right Phoebe, we are the generation that have had to make do and mend in the past. I did some ghastly jobs when the children were little to fit around the hours I had to spare. My husband, at the grand old age of nearly 69, works for a children's charity, fetching babies and children from their foster carers to meet their family at a contact centre. He loves it and the kids love him - he rattles on about this baby and that toddler and all the things they chat about. I wonder whether anything similar happens in Perth. I'm hopeful we will find something however, I can't imagine not working at all.

You're quite right Phoebe, we are the generation that have had to make do and mend in the past. I did some ghastly jobs when the children were little to fit around the hours I had to spare. My husband, at the grand old age of nearly 69, works for a children's charity, fetching babies and children from their foster carers to meet their family at a contact centre. He loves it and the kids love him - he rattles on about this baby and that toddler and all the things they chat about. I wonder whether anything similar happens in Perth. I'm hopeful we will find something however, I can't imagine not working at all.

I'm sure there must be. We have are looking on the internet for possibilities even though we are just in the process of applying :confused:

We have started logging onto www.google.com.au and have found it much better for information in Australia than just searching google.co.uk. If you dont try you won't know :jiggy:

Phoebe

Well said,sandch, there must be so many of us facing this problem,we havent even started our journey yet.looks like a long hard road...

We're on that journey too! I'm not too good with roller coasters either :shocked:

A question for Maisies, what was the name of the migration agent you used

Thanks

Hi Jillyboy

The agent we used was a friend of my daughter-in-law. If she okay's it (the agent that is) I will let you have her details.

Guest FruitBat

Hi All,

Just to say we have just received our 'acknowledgement' from Perth today. There is is in print and somehow it all feels so much more real now!!! June 15th was the date!

:))

FB

Hi Jillyboy

The agent we used was a friend of my daughter-in-law. If she okay's it (the agent that is) I will let you have her details.

Hi Maisies, i took advice from an agent and was informed only Aged parents are able to apply for permanent visa while in Australia, i don't come in this category as i am just turning 53 so i will have to sit it out here, never mind i shall just have to work hard and save the pennies for extra trips to see my son. Thank you for your reply though and i wish you both happy times ahead. Ann. :biggrin:

Hi Maisies, i took advice from an agent and was informed only Aged parents are able to apply for permanent visa while in Australia, i don't come in this category as i am just turning 53 so i will have to sit it out here, never mind i shall just have to work hard and save the pennies for extra trips to see my son. Thank you for your reply though and i wish you both happy times ahead. Ann. :biggrin:

good luck

Guest pankit

Hi Gill,

I m following this forum from last few months and found lot of useful info for my parents visa application. I am the sponsor of the application and my parents are in overseas. I have lodged Parents Visa application for my parents on 20 June 2008 and I got queue date assign for 20 Sep 2009. Our application is for Parents class 103 and have checked queue, which takes another 7 years to finalise. I would like to convert my application from 103 to 143. do we need to 1st VAC again for this transfer. Also do we need to pay the 2nd VAC from the date of application or from the date of conversion when transfer from 103 to 143. Thanks for your help.

Pankit

Hi Gill,

I m following this forum from last few months and found lot of useful info for my parents visa application. I am the sponsor of the application and my parents are in overseas. I have lodged Parents Visa application for my parents on 20 June 2008 and I got queue date assign for 20 Sep 2009. Our application is for Parents class 103 and have checked queue, which takes another 7 years to finalise. I would like to convert my application from 103 to 143. do we need to 1st VAC again for this transfer. Also do we need to pay the 2nd VAC from the date of application or from the date of conversion when transfer from 103 to 143. Thanks for your help.

Pankit

Hi Pankit

We have recently switched from the 103 to the 173 (temporary cpv). I emailed the Parents Visa Centre in Perth and got the following reply:

Yes, it is possible to switch from parent

subclass 103 to contributory subclasses 143 or 173. Complete new Forms 47PA and Form 40 plus a new First Visa Instalment of AUD$1,705.00.

The time spent while subclass 103 was on a queue is usually considered when switching to a contributory parent subclass.

The amount of money to be paid for the Second Visa Application Charge will be the fee in force at the time of submitting the visa application for

subclass 173/143.

So in answer to your questions:

You will need to pay a new visa application charge - this will be the new increased charge from 1st July.

According to this, the second VAC you pay will be the one which is in force now from 1st July. (Howevere, I have heard that other people have been given different informationabbout this). I think Gill (Gollywobbler has the direct email address of one of the managers at PVC so it might be worth contacting them.)

As you applied for the 103 in June 2008 I would think that if your parents converted to the CPV they would be at the front of the queue and would be able to get the CPV quite quickly.

We didn't have to submit our documents again as we were told that they were still valid. However, I would check with the PVC in Perth. Just email them at parents@immi.gov.au.

Incidentally, I don't know if the queue calculator has been updated, but I have heard the DIAC have now actually halved the number of Parent visa 103 which they will grant each year, so that waiting times have now doubled and an application for a 103 today would take about 20 years to process. So if your parents can possibly afford it, it is certainly worth going for the CPV.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi All,

Just to say we have just received our 'acknowledgement' from Perth today. There is is in print and somehow it all feels so much more real now!!! June 15th was the date!

:))

FB

Hi Fruitbat

Do you mind me asking what date you finally submitted your application the the Perth Parents Visa Centre? We have had the first VAC taken from our account, but no acknowledgement yet. Hopefully we shouldn't be too far behind you. I wait for the postman every day but nothing so far!

Guest pankit
hi pankit

we have recently switched from the 103 to the 173 (temporary cpv). I emailed the parents visa centre in perth and got the following reply:

yes, it is possible to switch from parent

subclass 103 to contributory subclasses 143 or 173. Complete new forms 47pa and form 40 plus a new first visa instalment of aud$1,705.00.

the time spent while subclass 103 was on a queue is usually considered when switching to a contributory parent subclass.

the amount of money to be paid for the second visa application charge will be the fee in force at the time of submitting the visa application for

subclass 173/143.

so in answer to your questions:

you will need to pay a new visa application charge - this will be the new increased charge from 1st july.

according to this, the second vac you pay will be the one which is in force now from 1st july. (howevere, i have heard that other people have been given different informationabbout this). I think gill (gollywobbler has the direct email address of one of the managers at pvc so it might be worth contacting them.)

as you applied for the 103 in june 2008 i would think that if your parents converted to the cpv they would be at the front of the queue and would be able to get the cpv quite quickly.

we didn't have to submit our documents again as we were told that they were still valid. However, i would check with the pvc in perth. Just email them at parents@immi.gov.au.

incidentally, i don't know if the queue calculator has been updated, but i have heard the diac have now actually halved the number of parent visa 103 which they will grant each year, so that waiting times have now doubled and an application for a 103 today would take about 20 years to process. So if your parents can possibly afford it, it is certainly worth going for the cpv.

hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Linday,

Thanks for your info. One more question, how can i convert this files to 143. I mean I should just fill the forms 47PA and 40 quoting my previous file reference (i.e. 103 subclass). Do I need to fill only specific part of the form 47PA. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks, Pankit

Guest pankit
Hi Pankit

We have recently switched from the 103 to the 173 (temporary cpv). I emailed the Parents Visa Centre in Perth and got the following reply:

Yes, it is possible to switch from parent

subclass 103 to contributory subclasses 143 or 173. Complete new Forms 47PA and Form 40 plus a new First Visa Instalment of AUD$1,705.00.

The time spent while subclass 103 was on a queue is usually considered when switching to a contributory parent subclass.

The amount of money to be paid for the Second Visa Application Charge will be the fee in force at the time of submitting the visa application for

subclass 173/143.

So in answer to your questions:

You will need to pay a new visa application charge - this will be the new increased charge from 1st July.

According to this, the second VAC you pay will be the one which is in force now from 1st July. (Howevere, I have heard that other people have been given different informationabbout this). I think Gill (Gollywobbler has the direct email address of one of the managers at PVC so it might be worth contacting them.)

As you applied for the 103 in June 2008 I would think that if your parents converted to the CPV they would be at the front of the queue and would be able to get the CPV quite quickly.

We didn't have to submit our documents again as we were told that they were still valid. However, I would check with the PVC in Perth. Just email them at parents@immi.gov.au.

Incidentally, I don't know if the queue calculator has been updated, but I have heard the DIAC have now actually halved the number of Parent visa 103 which they will grant each year, so that waiting times have now doubled and an application for a 103 today would take about 20 years to process. So if your parents can possibly afford it, it is certainly worth going for the CPV.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Gill,

following reply from linday, could you supply me contact for manager at PVC. I have also read from some of your previous post about this. Your info really save me.

Pankit

Hi

Can anyone answer a question about AoS (Assurance of Support).

I know that apart from the CPV fees there is $14,000 to pay to Centrelink in case we need any financial help in the first 10 years then the balance if any is returned (I think) but does the 'Assurer' have to pay this or the 'Applicant'

It will be my daughter who has PR that would be sponsoring us so and they can't afford the $14,000 soo is it a case of we have to give it to them as our Assurer's so they can pay it into Centrelink or is there another 'fee' of $14,000 I dont know about.......!!!

Phoebe

Hi

Can anyone answer a question about AoS (Assurance of Support).

I know that apart from the CPV fees there is $14,000 to pay to Centrelink in case we need any financial help in the first 10 years then the balance if any is returned (I think) but does the 'Assurer' have to pay this or the 'Applicant'

It will be my daughter who has PR that would be sponsoring us so and they can't afford the $14,000 soo is it a case of we have to give it to them as our Assurer's so they can pay it into Centrelink or is there another 'fee' of $14,000 I dont know about.......!!!

Phoebe

Hi,

It would appear to be normal practice for us CPVs to give/loan the money to our offspring for them to pay the Bond and then hope to hang on for the ten years to get it back.:laugh:

Interest is paid to said offspring each six months so you may want to pop round to their house each time as it's your money.:policeman:

There is a fee of $150 to open the account that has to be paid, but I am not aware of any other fee to do with this bond.

Hi,

It would appear to be normal practice for us CPVs to give/loan the money to our offspring for them to pay the Bond and then hope to hang on for the ten years to get it back.:laugh:

Interest is paid to said offspring each six months so you may want to pop round to their house each time as it's your money.:policeman:

There is a fee of $150 to open the account that has to be paid, but I am not aware of any other fee to do with this bond.

I will second this. We sent our daughter all the money required including the final vac and she arranged to pay everything as it was requested. As to the interest, I had a conversation with her at the weekend about interest as I hadn't heard anything and the AoS was paid in April 09. I finally got a message mid week to say that she had tracked it down but had spent it! She is getting married so it's just about forgiveable but hopefully we will get it eventually.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

Hi Les

When we did it, my sister in Oz was Mum's Sponsor and one of her two Assurers of Support. Elaine was only working part time because their children were small, so she couldn't provide the AoS by herself because she couldn't prove sufficient in Net Assessable Income. It was decided that Elaine's Aussie hubby Neil would actually provide the AoS because he could overcome the financial hurdle on his own. However to avoid the risk of his Aussie family claiming later that Mum was only able to get her sc 143 visa "because of our beloved Neil," Elaine and I decided that she would become the co-Assurer, jointly with Neil, because the Assurers' liability is joint and several, so we would be able to shut Neil's Aussie family up like clams if any of them should turn nasty at any time.

Elaine was scared stiff about the money. She banks with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia anyway. She was worried about so much money passing through her account in one go, to pay for Mum's 2nd Instalment and for Mum's AoS. Elaine was convinced that the ATO would chase her for income tax on the money or that they would try to treat it as a gift, and if so as a chargeable capital gain in her hands.

I investigated the ATO website. It said that if a third party gives or lends money to someone in Oz but the person in Oz is going to use that money in order to benefit the third party in some way, then the ATO treat the whole thing as a "non-event" in terms of liability for any sort of tax.

Alan Collett of Go Matilda is a Chartered Accountant, so I never ignore anything that he says about money or tax. Alan said that if the visa applicant gives the money for the AoS Bond to the Assurer, technically the $10,000 (solo applicant) or $14,000 (applicant is a couple) then belongs to the Assurer. Apparently it is a gift, technically, but according to the ATO website it is not a taxable gift.

The Bond account is in Elaine's sole name because only one of the Assurers has to open the Bond account. Twice a year it pays a miserable pittance in interest. Elaine's sons have their own joint account at the CBA. It is used for payments of Family Tax Benefit etc. Any money that is earmarked "the children" goes into the children's own account. Elaine pays the interest from the Bond out of her own (other) account - her existing account - at the CBA into the children's account.

Once the Bond is released, Mum and Elaine intend that the $10,000 will go to Elaine's & Neil's children - Mum's grandsons. Neil and I would never interfere with that intention, so it will stand.

All families deal with this in different ways, according to what suits the family concerned. I've merely described what we are doing/have done because our own arrangements happen to be the ones that suit us.

We also decided, ages ago, that we will simply pay any tax bills that come our way after Mum's eventual death. Her house in the UK remains in her sole name and it is not mortgaged. Mum has an emotional attachment to it and the rent from it is a useful boost to her income. Mum will be 90 later this year and we have decided that her happiness is more important than tax, so I haven't even investigated what will happen about CGT in the UK when she dies, or Inheritance Tax unless the threshold for that is increased fairly soon. From our own point of view, Mum's happiness matters more, so even though keeping the house is probably not tax-efficient, it satisfies Mum's immense sentimental attachment to the house that she and my late father lived in together, so the tax bill can simply be paid in due course,.

Elaine had to pay the CBA $150 to get them to open the Bond account, as you say. She didn't mention any other costs so I assume that there were none.

Cheers

Gill

Hi,

Hi Les

Thanks so much fir explaining that I'm just glad I only have to loan/give offspring the 14,000AU rather than find another hefty sum :arghh:

So let me get this exactly right I 'lend' offspring said amount, plus another

150AU to open an account and the interest is paid into that account every 6 months, then if I don't pop my clogs or use the money in the next 10 years I

get it back:jiggy: So does the account have to be in offsprings name? Can she not just use her AU bank account?