Guest guest36187

5 minutes ago, Kpnuts said:

Well that’s it! One day in Bali and the143 has been granted. I cannot say this has been the best experience with many soul searching and frustrating moments.

My only advice to those just starting out - if the current process remains the same, don’t anticipate your grant date. If I were to do this again, I wouldn’t have sold up in the UK. I wouldn’t have travelled to AU on a 600 visa in anticipation. Don’t preempt the Medicals or police checks, just wait until you are instructed by Immigration. After a wait of over two years I thought that by travelling to AU was a clever thing to do. In the end, I had to fork out for more UK police checks and also obtain AU police checks as we had built up a cumulative period of over 12 months. Even with a 12 month 600 visa I thought it was going to be a walk in the park, instead, we were only a couple of months away from having to leave AU for 6 months.

I reckon I have wasted a total of £10k instead of sitting tight at home.

Anyway, I will keep this site in view and hopefully assist others in a very long queue. Good luck.

Congratulations!  I can appreciate everything you say.  For myself, I weighed everything up and decided to wait it out in the UK, although in the final few months I did  start to reconsider going on a 600.  I think it's a really difficult decision for everybody and they can only take full account of their own circumstances and plans.  It's a very stressful experience, whichever way you jump.  I hope you can put it behind you now and enjoy your new life, at long last all the uncertainty is over - very pleased for you.  I've often wondered whether all the stress has ever got the better of anyone! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My parents have just joined the Contributory Parents visa hamster wheel with me as sponsor. The application was arrived at the Department on 21 September, and I've just received the acknowledgement letter and tax invoice for the first visa application charge. Even though it seems like we still have a long way to go, there was something satisfying about receiving the first piece of correspondence from the Department about the application on Saturday afternoon (clearly someone is working overtime due to the backlog).

I was expecting a laundry list of "what's next" in the Acknowledgement letter, but all it said was the application hasn't been assessed and that they'll be in touch to request for more information if needed.

We've decided to proactively send in Form 80 anyway in the hope that this will give them 1 less thing to request for and speed up the process a tad.

The good thing is that my parents aren't in a rush to get over here and fully anticipated the 36 months lead time. They live in Malaysia which makes visits to Australia easy and vice versa - we see other at least twice a year around Chinese New Year and/or Christmas and other family events or family holidays.

Best of luck to everyone in the queue for a Parents Visa.

Edited by Qflyer
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

Congratulations!  I can appreciate everything you say.  For myself, I weighed everything up and decided to wait it out in the UK, although in the final few months I did  start to reconsider going on a 600.  I think it's a really difficult decision for everybody and they can only take full account of their own circumstances and plans.  It's a very stressful experience, whichever way you jump.  I hope you can put it behind you now and enjoy your new life, at long last all the uncertainty is over - very pleased for you.  I've often wondered whether all the stress has ever got the better of anyone! 

I feel the same as you Catlady. I have a long wait ahead, and thought about the 600 but decided to wait until I see what the new temporary visa has to offer. It's all very stressful, as I sold my house a couple of years ago due to spending some time in France, so I'm now renting back in the UK just stuck in limbo. Keep us posted as to your progress.

• Like 2

My parents have just joined the Contributory Parents visa hamster wheel with me as sponsor. The application was arrived at the Department on 21 September, and I've just received the acknowledgement letter and tax invoice for the first visa application charge. Even though it seems like we still have a long way to go, there was something satisfying about receiving the first piece of correspondence from the Department about the application on Saturday afternoon (clearly someone is working overtime due to the backlog).
I was expecting a laundry list of "what's next" in the Acknowledgement letter, but all it said was the application hasn't been assessed and that they'll be in touch to request for more information if needed.
We've decided to proactively send in Form 80 anyway in the hope that this will give them 1 less thing to request for and speed up the process a tad.
The good thing is that my parents aren't in a rush to get over here and fully anticipated the 36 months lead time. They live in Malaysia which makes visits to Australia easy and vice versa - we see other at least twice a year around Chinese New Year and/or Christmas and other family events or family holidays.

It does become a black hole. My daughter was the nominated sponsor and receiving agent on our be half. After the first stage nothing went to her at all; it all came to me with her on the address header. Some emails were sent, some were responded to and others ignored.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Qflyer said:

Not so sure you can do form 80 so early. After all it asks for last 10 yrs travel dates which you still have 3 yrs to add etc.,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

Well that’s it! One day in Bali and the143 has been granted. I cannot say this has been the best experience with many soul searching and frustrating moments.

My only advice to those just starting out - if the current process remains the same, don’t anticipate your grant date. If I were to do this again, I wouldn’t have sold up in the UK. I wouldn’t have travelled to AU on a 600 visa in anticipation. Don’t preempt the Medicals or police checks, just wait until you are instructed by Immigration. After a wait of over two years I thought that by travelling to AU was a clever thing to do. In the end, I had to fork out for more UK police checks and also obtain AU police checks as we had built up a cumulative period of over 12 months. Even with a 12 month 600 visa I thought it was going to be a walk in the park, instead, we were only a couple of months away from having to leave AU for 6 months.

Anyway, I will keep this site in view and hopefully assist others in a very long queue. Good luck.

Very best wishes  to you. Relaxation of the mind for you now. Phew !?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

Congratulations on your visa grant. Enjoy your remaining time in Bali . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

Not so sure you can do form 80 so early. After all it asks for last 10 yrs travel dates which you still have 3 yrs to add etc.,

I did my form 80 in March when I sent in my application, as advised by my migration agent. I have already stacked up quite a few visits to Australia in the last 13 years that my daughter has been there so they may be happy that is evidence enough of my commitment to emigrate. It also saves them having to ask for additional info, though of course, they may ask for updated info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

Hmm, ok, maybe the goal posts have changed but previous posts I've read led us to think that Form 80 is requested when the acknowledgement letter is sent; hence I organised for the olds to complete it in anticipation of the acknowledgement letter, and am surprised that no such request has been made. Oh well, they will just re-do it in a few years if they  have to.

Edited by Qflyer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Qflyer said:

Hmm, ok, maybe the goal posts have changed but previous posts I've read led us to think that Form 80 is requested when the acknowledgement letter is sent; hence I organised for the olds to complete it in anticipation of the acknowledgement letter, and am surprised that no such request has been made. Oh well, they will just re-do it in a few years if they  have to.

Well my friend and I haven't had the  request. At least you should just be able to copy it all over if need be anyway!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Well my friend and I haven't had the  request. At least you should just be able to copy it all over if need be anyway!

Yeah that's what I figured. And I've just realised that you can type into the PDF file - I have been handwriting them all this while! They filled out Form 956 appointing me as an exempt person providing assistance so that I'm the designated form filler and all they have to do is sign the things. Being able to type into the form and emailing it to them for printing and signing would have saved me a bit on postage. Ah well, never mind. :)

Edited by Qflyer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

It does become a black hole. My daughter was the nominated sponsor and receiving agent on our be half. After the first stage nothing went to her at all; it all came to me with her on the address header. Some emails were sent, some were responded to and others ignored.

Did they at least email you or was a lot of time wasted on snail mail? Would hope they at least use email. I set up a Gmail account for Mum who's the main applicant and taught her how to use it with great success recently. Dad's Gmail account on the other hand is still gathering dust...

Edited by Qflyer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Qflyer said:

Did they at least email you or was a lot of time wasted on snail mail? Would hope they at least use email. I set up a Gmail account for Mum who's the main applicant and taught her how to use it with great success recently. Dad's Gmail account on the other hand is still gathering dust...

Well done Mom. Come on Dad, we are all watching you now. xD

• Like 2

Hi everyone, did the AOS paperwork on Monday 16 October with our daughter.  All went well and pretty straightforward.  Now we wait for the phone call to her.  Medicals on Thursday 19 October.  Totally stressed out!! Waited so long but the Doctor was very understanding in Canberra.  Blood pressure massively up to start with but went down, thank goodness.  So no flags raised there.  Just got to wait and see how long the process takes now.  I will certainly put on a pair of dancing shoes and dance all the way around Parliament (Malcolm Turnbull or no Malcolm Turnbull) if we get our visa!!!!  Happy days.

• Like 8

Yesterday I presented my ID at the local bank branch and collected my bank card.  Today I went back to the bank and asked them for a letter addressed to me at my Australia address; armed with this, plus my passport, UK licence and two bank cards (which do not have to be Australian) I set off to the local Translink office where I filled in a form, had my photo taken, and was given a temporary drivers licence to cover me until my proper licence arrives in a couple of weeks.  Next up was the local Human Services Service Centre office where I produced my passport and visa grant letter and was issued with a temporary Medicare card to cover me until the new card arrives by post in a few weeks.  Everything has been reasonably straightforward and is gradually falling into place.

• Like 9

Yesterday I presented my ID at the local bank branch and collected my bank card.  Today I went back to the bank and asked them for a letter addressed to me at my Australia address; armed with this, plus my passport, UK licence and two bank cards (which do not have to be Australian) I set off to the local Translink office where I filled in a form, had my photo taken, and was given a temporary drivers licence to cover me until my proper licence arrives in a couple of weeks.  Next up was the local Human Services Service Centre office where I produced my passport and visa grant letter and was issued with a temporary Medicare card to cover me until the new card arrives by post in a few weeks.  Everything has been reasonably straightforward and is gradually falling into place.

Sounds like they’re organised! Great news.
Checked the processing times yesterday. They are half way through February. Seems there has been some sort of initiative to get cracking in Perth. Let’s hope they keep it going.
  • Like 4

[mention=238256]Kpnuts[/mention] Hi. If You havn’t been in Oz for a 12mths stay prior to police check request you only need the UK one then?  
Am guessing I will have been in Oz approx 9mths at that stage
Thanks , Kath

We have visited Us on 4 occasions. If you add up the cumulative period and it exceeds 12 months, as ours did, then you have to submit Australian Federal Police checks.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything IMMI do is by email so that’s the efficient bit. The frustration is simply the wait and lack of formal acknowledgement of documents.
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Kpnuts said:

Everything IMMI do is by email so that’s the efficient bit. The frustration is simply the wait and lack of formal acknowledgement of documents.

That's good to know re use of email. 

When I applied for my (onshore)  partner visa back in 2010 it was all snail mail. In fact I nearly lost my visa grant letter as Australia Post for some inexplicable reason didn't let me know I had mail waiting for me at the Post Office until I suddenly received the final mail pick up notice. 

Edited by Qflyer

21 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

@Kpnuts Hi. If You havn’t been in Oz for a 12mths stay prior to police check request you only need the UK one then?  

Am guessing I will have been in Oz approx 9mths at that stage

Thanks , Kath

Hi Kath, we haven’t spent 12 months in Australia but our agent advised we do Aus police checks as well as UK just in case we had sp that time by the time Immi process. In fact we are waiting for my husbands now which they said was posted last week, mine came quickly but they say they can be sent anytime in 28 days so its just the luck of the draw. Sue

21 hours ago, suelear said:

I did my form 80 in March when I sent in my application, as advised by my migration agent. I have already stacked up quite a few visits to Australia in the last 13 years that my daughter has been there so they may be happy that is evidence enough of my commitment to emigrate. It also saves them having to ask for additional info, though of course, they may ask for updated info.

21 hours ago, suelear said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ian Ireland said:

We have ours all filled in ready to send. They are in Brisbane with our daughter. Any updating can be done on the pdf form and emailed out when they ask for it. 

I hope that works!

Ours are all filled in on the PDF too and ready to go.  Just waiting for that request for more paperwork!

• Like 5

Hi, my mother-in-law has been waiting to see what happens with the new temporary parent visa but now she's thinking she might be better to just take the chance and come out on the visitor visa, apply for the aged parent visa 804 when she gets here and go on the bridging visa.

I have a few questions I'm hoping for some help on :-)  If she was to go for this option does anyone know when would she be asked to undertake a medical? Also what sorts of health issues would give her a problem in passing the medical? She has arthritis, COPD, recent hip replacement and an eye condition.

What are the main issues with going down this route?