Guest guest36187

17 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi all

Quick update on our progress - had a very smooth journey (apart from the hasty trip to collect forgotten docs.) and srrived yesterday evening. Our daughter's in good spirits in spite of the mashed finger ... So great to see them. Her partner picked us up at the airport with a big bunch of flowers and a balloon saying "Welcome to Australia" which for some reason made me want to cry.  

We will tackle the new round of paper pushing from tomorrow but have spent today getting to know our two year old grandson again and chatting over coffee and cake. 

Useful info we found out today:- We knew that first time buyers got s rebate on purchase tax for properties under $650,000 but thought that once you went over that you had to pay tax on the entire amount. Probably we're the only idiots that misunderstood this, but in case we aren't, we found out today that (in NSW) first time buyers only pay tax on the extra bit. every little helps!

Hoping the queue in the waiting room shuffles forward a bit more this week.

Great to hear you are safely in Australia make the most of your time with two yr old, since arriving in Oz ourselves we find the days are flying by helping with new born and almost 4 yr old, plus all the washing etc that entails we fall into bed each night exhausted!  We are still in the queue for 143 visa which is frustrating as we would like to build a house and get on with life and are aware of how precious this time is now we are retired. Good luck with the house hunting - where are you looking? we find we are being pushed further north in nsw due to Exchange rates and property price increases here. Currently been exploring just south of Gosford area. 

Relax and enjoy, you have had a tough journey !

2 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Great to hear you are safely in Australia make the most of your time with two yr old, since arriving in Oz ourselves we find the days are flying by helping with new born and almost 4 yr old, plus all the washing etc that entails we fall into bed each night exhausted!  We are still in the queue for 143 visa which is frustrating as we would like to build a house and get on with life and are aware of how precious this time is now we are retired. Good luck with the house hunting - where are you looking? we find we are being pushed further north in nsw due to Exchange rates and property price increases here. Currently been exploring just south of Gosford area. 

Relax and enjoy, you have had a tough journey !

Hi NewYorksGrannie    Yes the time flies and we are similarly placed with washing from 2yr old and generally running around after an active toddler so our daughter can get a bit of rest. I'm loving being here, but yes we are falling into bed exhausted each night. We too are finding ourselves being pushed further from the CBD because of exchange  rate and property increases. We've been looking at Kiama for a couple of years now, as its a seaside town and very pretty, but it began as a cheap alternative and is now beginning to look a bit pricey - it all depends on luck at the moment. We want to be over this side because our daughter lives in Marrickville so although its a two hour journey it's straight from Kiama to Redfern and then a couple of stops up the line to Marrickville - no changing trains and crossing the middle of the city to contend with. We did wonder about Gosford - I asked on here about it and was pretty much convinced that Gosford itself was not for us ... but somebody mentioned Toukley as a likely spot - less expensive and not too far to a railway station.  Let me know how you get on!

I'm currently trying to decide which is the closest centrepoint to go to on Monday to apply for a Medicare card ... does anyone know how long it takes?  

Unexpected treat today?  We went to pick up a coffee at Hungry Jack's (we were in a hurry) on Circular Quay and the server said that it was free to pensioners !!   I'm not sure what he was implying :laugh: - so we had a free cappuccino each???

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bear2015 said:

gafuk and Michellenuyen ,

Any news from Immigration? 

No Not yet, any day I reckon for email to start AOS docs etc. We have hopefully got a buyer for our house and hope the timing all matches to sort the finances. Wouldn't mind if I done hear anything for a week or two tbh. Assuming the house sale goes smoothly and the AOS  takes 3 months to process as normal, should be ok. Bit risky and stressful but just hope the timing works out or its a bridging loan ££££. I will let you know as soon as I get any word, we are all getting a little closer every day !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi NewYorksGrannie    Yes the time flies and we are similarly placed with washing from 2yr old and generally running around after an active toddler so our daughter can get a bit of rest. I'm loving being here, but yes we are falling into bed exhausted each night. We too are finding ourselves being pushed further from the CBD because of exchange  rate and property increases. We've been looking at Kiama for a couple of years now, as its a seaside town and very pretty, but it began as a cheap alternative and is now beginning to look a bit pricey - it all depends on luck at the moment. We want to be over this side because our daughter lives in Marrickville so although its a two hour journey it's straight from Kiama to Redfern and then a couple of stops up the line to Marrickville - no changing trains and crossing the middle of the city to contend with. We did wonder about Gosford - I asked on here about it and was pretty much convinced that Gosford itself was not for us ... but somebody mentioned Toukley as a likely spot - less expensive and not too far to a railway station.  Let me know how you get on!

I'm currently trying to decide which is the closest centrepoint to go to on Monday to apply for a Medicare card ... does anyone know how long it takes?  

Unexpected treat today?  We went to pick up a coffee at Hungry Jack's (we were in a hurry) on Circular Quay and the server said that it was free to pensioners !!   I'm not sure what he was implying :laugh: - so we had a free cappuccino each???

Re Medicare, I don't know which would be your closest, we went to Hornsby on a weekday morning had to fill in a form by which time a member of staff was ready to see us and it probably took about ten mins as we had passports etc with us.  

We went looking at blocks of land yesterday but no real success but it is interesting getting to know areas better. I agree about Gosford centre but there are some nice areas within 20 mins drive of there. We originally liked Avoca beach but the roads get very busy between there and the motorway and we thought a lot of the properties might be holiday homes. We would like to be near water and Brisbane water is a possibility (nowhere near Brisbane) the further north we have looked prices have been lower but we didn't like it as much without going so far it would be a long drive or train ride to our daughters. The problem is once north of Sydney there are miles and miles of bush either side of the motorway which pushes development further away, a problem for commuters and it pushes the price of property up.

I am getting used to prices here but was a bit staggered to pay $30 for a 5kg box of Omo washing powder,  keep hoping the £ will go up again but guess it is unlikely until Brexit is sorted. ?

Hope all goes well with forthcoming birth of your second grandchild.

• Like 1

Buy Aldi's washing powder if you have one near you, much cheaper and washes everything clean.

Wish everyone much happiness in their new lives in Australia. We have applied for the 864. We are in a different situation to most posters. We retired here 14 years ago, and have since been followed by 2 of our children, so are now eligible for the parent visa. We love our life here, have been made so welcome and made great friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ramot said:

Buy Aldi's washing powder if you have one near you, much cheaper and washes everything clean.

Wish everyone much happiness in their new lives in Australia. We have applied for the 864. We are in a different situation to most posters. We retired here 14 years ago, and have since been followed by 2 of our children, so are now eligible for the parent visa. We love our life here, have been made so welcome and made great friends.

Thanks for the encouragement :-) will buy the washing powder too!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Re Medicare, I don't know which would be your closest, we went to Hornsby on a weekday morning had to fill in a form by which time a member of staff was ready to see us and it probably took about ten mins as we had passports etc with us.  

We went looking at blocks of land yesterday but no real success but it is interesting getting to know areas better. I agree about Gosford centre but there are some nice areas within 20 mins drive of there. We originally liked Avoca beach but the roads get very busy between there and the motorway and we thought a lot of the properties might be holiday homes. We would like to be near water and Brisbane water is a possibility (nowhere near Brisbane) the further north we have looked prices have been lower but we didn't like it as much without going so far it would be a long drive or train ride to our daughters. The problem is once north of Sydney there are miles and miles of bush either side of the motorway which pushes development further away, a problem for commuters and it pushes the price of property up.

I am getting used to prices here but was a bit staggered to pay $30 for a 5kg box of Omo washing powder,  keep hoping the £ will go up again but guess it is unlikely until Brexit is sorted. ?

Hope all goes well with forthcoming birth of your second grandchild.

Thank you - and thanks for the info re: medicare - I had visions of waiting hours, its nice to know it isn't always that way!

We've had a bit of a set back this week ... We've been too ill to sort out Medicare or anything - too busy trying to overcome some horrible flu bug thing which has kept my husband in bed for two days (unheard off) and made me feel like death warmed up. Daughter currently four days to due date also feeling ill - her partner is okay but at work all day. We're all absolutely shattered looking after a miserable sick two year old ... Ah well it can only get better!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

We've had a bit of a set back this week ... We've been too ill to sort out Medicare or anything - too busy trying to overcome some horrible flu bug thing which has kept my husband in bed for two days (unheard off) and made me feel like death warmed up. Daughter currently four days to due date also feeling ill - her partner is okay but at work all day. We're all absolutely shattered looking after a miserable sick two year old ... Ah well it can only get better!

Sorry to hear that ?

Good job you are there though and by the time baby arrives you should be getting over the worse hopefully.

Best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Sorry to hear that ?

Good job you are there though and by the time baby arrives you should be getting over the worse hopefully.

Thanks! I'm just stunned at the speed of our downfall ! .   

:(( not received anything 

I'm Vietnamese. Do they see us as high-risk country ?

I have emailed Parent@border.com.au ...their explanation is the website saying 25 Nov 2017, so I need to wait ! Hix hix...We dont know what's wrong with us ?

Timeline:

143 - with dependent (born 1993) Lodgement Date: 27/11/2014 - Acknowledgement letter 25 /03/2015 --- going with a solicitor

---nothing received yet

Hi everyone

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, things have been hectic for the last few weeks. I've been reading all your posts with the various ups and downs and its good to see at least some of us poms are no longer waiting.

Anyway, our latest update shouldn't change, flights are booked and we're off on Sep 5th. PSS (brilliant) picked up everything the boss said had to be shipped last Friday and the bags are packed. Looking forward to the new adventure and our granddaughter is now crawling, so me and her grandma will be kept fit and active for the foreseeable.. That's it I suppose, I'll post again when we get there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bry45 said:

Hi everyone

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, things have been hectic for the last few weeks. I've been reading all your posts with the various ups and downs and its good to see at least some of us poms are no longer waiting.

Anyway, our latest update shouldn't change, flights are booked and we're off on Sep 5th. PSS (brilliant) picked up everything the boss said had to be shipped last Friday and the bags are packed. Looking forward to the new adventure and our granddaughter is now crawling, so me and her grandma will be kept fit and active for the foreseeable.. That's it I suppose, I'll post again when we get there.

Good luck with the move.  Well done for finally getting out of the longest and most frustrating waiting room I have ever been in haha.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi All

I need some advice if possible.  Myself and my husband will be in this waiting room until next year.  Not that I am complaining much as you are all a lovely bunch and it makes me so happy when I read someone has reached the end of the waiting room and is off to new adventures.  Anyway,  I am doing a dog grooming course in October in preparation for our move but my husband is a HGV driver for 31 years.  He will be 57 when we move over and we are worried his age will go against him as we will have to work until we receive our pensions.  For people who are already over there or may know something do you foresee this as a problem.  Because if he cannot get a job we will have been in the longest waiting room for nothing and will not be able to move.  Any advice is very much appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Lynn Moore said:

Hi All

I need some advice if possible.  Myself and my husband will be in this waiting room until next year.  Not that I am complaining much as you are all a lovely bunch and it makes me so happy when I read someone has reached the end of the waiting room and is off to new adventures.  Anyway,  I am doing a dog grooming course in October in preparation for our move but my husband is a HGV driver for 31 years.  He will be 57 when we move over and we are worried his age will go against him as we will have to work until we receive our pensions.  For people who are already over there or may know something do you foresee this as a problem.  Because if he cannot get a job we will have been in the longest waiting room for nothing and will not be able to move.  Any advice is very much appreciated.

Hi Lynn

I'm not sure I can help a huge amount, we are in NSW. My husband and I are 55 and 50 respectively and like you, need to work to retirement. We both found employment here relatively easily (hubby started within 12 days of arrival in December 2016!). He has a British HGV licence, however in NSW a test needs to be taken here to gain the Australian equivalent (he's not in a driving job here). Where we are in the Hawkesbury area there are so many truck driving jobs advertised but I'm not sure if that is a reflection of other states/cities. I don't know if this info helps at all but wish you good luck in your new adventures and hope the wait passes quickly! 

Amanda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynn Moore said:

Hi All

that's an extra worry for you, I hope your husband finds something. I'm already retired but have been so alarmed by the drop in the exchange rate have been considering looking for something ...  good luck with it all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bry45 said:

Hi everyone

Great news, and Good Luck! we are twelve days ahead of you and awaiting second grandchild any day now. We found the guys from PSS brilliant as well - hoping they will be just as good at this end.  Where are you headed?

18 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Sorry to hear that ?

Feeling better today - grandson was well enough to go to nursey and I'm ashamed to say we packed him off - peace and quiet for a few hours, managed to have a sleep AND sort out the medicare registration. Take away Thai food for dinner - feeling better :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Fisher, sorry to hear you have been ill and glad you are feeling better you will need your energy back when baby arrives. We have been wondering whether we should get a flu vaccine here in Australia as apparently there has been an increase in cases this year. We had one last year in uk but don't know whether the current flu in Australia is a different strain, we would hate to give a new born and toddler it should we catch it.

25 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

Great news, and Good Luck! we are twelve days ahead of you and awaiting second grandchild any day now. We found the guys from PSS brilliant as well - hoping they will be just as good at this end.  Where are you headed?

Hi Fisher

We too are hoping they will be just as good in OZ, we're headed to the gold coast, hope everything goes well with your second bambino, I'm sure all will be OK

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Hi Fisher, sorry to hear you have been ill and glad you are feeling better you will need your energy back when baby arrives. We have been wondering whether we should get a flu vaccine here in Australia as apparently there has been an increase in cases this year. We had one last year in uk but don't know whether the current flu in Australia is a different strain, we would hate to give a new born and toddler it should we catch it.

We have both had the flu vaccine in the UK last October, mainly because we were both helping to look after my mum ... But this seems to be a different strain ... And the toddler seems to have given it to the rest of the family :). Apparently it's everywhere in Sydney at the moment - I'll definitely be getting a flu vaccination next year, it wasn't nice.

8 hours ago, MICHELLENGUYEN said:

:(( not received anything 

I'm Vietnamese. Do they see us as high-risk country ?

I have emailed Parent@border.com.au ...their explanation is the website saying 25 Nov 2017, so I need to wait ! Hix hix...We dont know what's wrong with us ?

Timeline:

143 - with dependent (born 1993) Lodgement Date: 27/11/2014 - Acknowledgement letter 25 /03/2015 --- going with a solicitor

---nothing received yet

1 hour ago, AmandaJB said:

Hi Lynn

I'm not sure I can help a huge amount, we are in NSW. My husband and I are 55 and 50 respectively and like you, need to work to retirement. We both found employment here relatively easily (hubby started within 12 days of arrival in December 2016!). He has a British HGV licence, however in NSW a test needs to be taken here to gain the Australian equivalent (he's not in a driving job here). Where we are in the Hawkesbury area there are so many truck driving jobs advertised but I'm not sure if that is a reflection of other states/cities. I don't know if this info helps at all but wish you good luck in your new adventures and hope the wait passes quickly! 

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Thanks for the advice it's all helpful.  We are going over in Feb so are going to go some Agencies to ask their advice. xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

that's an extra worry for you, I hope your husband finds something. I'm already retired but have been so alarmed by the drop in the exchange rate have been considering looking for something ...  good luck with it all!

Hi

We are going over in Feb for a holiday so will go to some driving agencies whilst out there to get their advice.  I know the exchange rate is so bad.  We have just come into a windfall and wanted to transfer it into our bank account over there but will hold off for the moment.  Hope you're all feeling better soon.  xx

• Like 2