Guest guest36187

5 hours ago, tabitha10 said:

No no...our decision though. We just didnt realise once we had decided when we wanted to go that it would be a snails pace to get there lol.

We still have lots to sort anyway..just want that email saying we can go when we want and work.

Our only daughter is having her first baby in Feb so really want to be there for that, my email from immi said they should complete it for us by Dec (i asked for Dec) as long as centrelink sort it, they are taking 3 months at the mo.

How about you where are you in the grand scheme of things??

We are just 16 months in and counting down to Christmas 2019, when we hope to be in Australia permanently (or at least on a tourist visa and close to getting our temporary 173).

Did you have to go to Australia to activate your 173 and apply for the 143?

We now wished we had just gone straight for the 143 and intend to apply as soon as we can. But I thought we needed to be in Australia to apply.

Lovely news about your first grandchild and December isn't far away, I always think the end of the year from September to Christmas goes very quickly.  

You must have a lot of patience and restraint to have not made the move already, I would be there tomorrow if I could. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

We are just 16 months in and counting down to Christmas 2019, when we hope to be in Australia permanently (or at least on a tourist visa and close to getting our temporary 173).

Did you have to go to Australia to activate your 173 and apply for the 143?

We now wished we had just gone straight for the 143 and intend to apply as soon as we can. But I thought we needed to be in Australia to apply.

Lovely news about your first grandchild and December isn't far away, I always think the end of the year from September to Christmas goes very quickly.  

You must have a lot of patience and restraint to have not made the move already, I would be there tomorrow if I could. 

Hi,

Yes we went to Aus to validate the 173 visa. Then we had two years to apply for the 143 visa but we decided to do it a bit early incase there was a price rise.

The reason we have taken our time? my husband took a bit longer to convince to the move lol.

My son is in the UK and has a son so this will be my second grandchild but 1st from my daughter ..sorry !!

Where abouts are you going in Aus?

16 minutes ago, tabitha10 said:

Hi,

Yes we went to Aus to validate the 173 visa. Then we had two years to apply for the 143 visa but we decided to do it a bit early incase there was a price rise.

The reason we have taken our time? my husband took a bit longer to convince to the move lol.

My son is in the UK and has a son so this will be my second grandchild but 1st from my daughter ..sorry !!

Where abouts are you going in Aus?

Where abouts is a little tricky to answer at the moment. Son and DIL live in Melbourne in the city, but as much as we would love to be close, living in Melbourne is not too appealing for us. Ideally we would live on the Sunshine Coast close to Noosa and we did consider this when they were living in Sydney, just an 80mins flight and super easy airport at SC. Plus no grandchildren yet and they both have time sapping-careers with son being often overseas. So we have been considering all the options close to Melbourne, but we also keep getting draw to Noosa so anything could happen. What about yourselves, do you have somewhere in mind?

On 1 August 2017 at 18:47, Fisher1 said:

Yes, we did that last week and I think I'm just going to keep quiet. We only really need them for the journey ... Certainly don't want to use UK credit cards in Oz, not with the huge fees.  i was staggered to notice that it cost more to redirect post to Australia than to Europe. Really! So it's not all higher prices :)

I wrote this the wrong way round. It should have said that I was staggered to note that it costs more to redirect post to Europe than to Australia, how weird is that?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I wrote this the wrong way round. It should have said that I was staggered to note that it costs more to redirect post to Europe than to Australia, how weird is that?

I did wonder:biglaugh:

We are having our post redirected to my brother in the UK and he then scans it to me. There isn't very much as I made sure all our banking stuff etc is sent electronically.

9 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Where abouts is a little tricky to answer at the moment. Son and DIL live in Melbourne in the city, but as much as we would love to be close, living in Melbourne is not too appealing for us. Ideally we would live on the Sunshine Coast close to Noosa and we did consider this when they were living in Sydney, just an 80mins flight and super easy airport at SC. Plus no grandchildren yet and they both have time sapping-careers with son being often overseas. So we have been considering all the options close to Melbourne, but we also keep getting draw to Noosa so anything could happen. What about yourselves, do you have somewhere in mind?

Oh i see ha ha, yes we are going to Brisbane area, just outside of the gold coast really we just love it there not too close to the madness but a little quieter place so if we want to go into the gold coast its not too far.

Have you been to the sunshine coast? it is nice up there.

• Like 1

The Mornington Peninsula 1 hour south of Melbourne is lovely, not the Temperatures of Noosa but not the humidity either.  But don't let on as it's rather special ?. Lots of lovely winery's & restaurants plus miles of uncrowned beaches, except for the 6 weeks or so over Christmas. 

• Like 3

Well, I am about to join in the other waiting room we seem to have on here as in "The Nursery" !! 

My first grandchild due in March ??

With Mother Nature on their side this was planned to perfection for me arriving in approx 2yrs time (remember the good old 18-24mths processing time for us!!)

My daughter will then have 6mths off which take us to Sept18  however, my visa probably still won't have come through ?

So, 600 visa next summer it will have to be then! Counting down as always ?

Also! Bear with.... I remember someone on here saying their children would pay them to childmind.  Someone else said they thought the grandparent would then have to declare this as income??  

So my next question is....when permanent, if paid and declare this for next few years can we then say we have worked for 5yrs so as to claim a pension after 10 instead of the new 15yr rule, which says you can claim a pension if worked for 5 out of 10yrs resident. I wonder if there is a minimum hours/dollars etc you would have to do in order to "qualify" ? As I do want to work.

I know it is only a top up pension as such but every little helps. 

So many queries in this process ! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, tabitha10 said:

Oh i see ha ha, yes we are going to Brisbane area, just outside of the gold coast really we just love it there not too close to the madness but a little quieter place so if we want to go into the gold coast its not too far.

Have you been to the sunshine coast? it is nice up there.

We have been fortunate enough to have visited the Sunshine Coast three times in recent years and also had a long spell there in the 1980’s. I do also like the Gold Coast and the whole region is very liveable, although I have been told there is not as much work for younger people.

Also appreciate the tip from Sooty regarding the Mornington Peninsular. We did also take a look around there last year and it is very special, just felt very cold. I know we are all different, but a few years of warm (even hot and sticky) weather would be ok with me at the moment.  

Our lodgement is 27 Nov 2014, Acknowledged 18 Mar 2015

While everyone gets acknowledged around 1 month after lodgement, while we get it after 3 months ( holidays period Dec !!!). Does it mean IMMI didnt communicate with my solicitor effectively via her email ????

I called my solicitor and noone there seems caring about our hot-seat right now. She sent me an email advising to wait for ...2-3 months...!(for real?)

Website said 25 Nov 2014...we are just 2 days behind...why people at 5 Dec 2014 got their invitation. Should it because my brother is dependent and he's over 23yo now???

Please give me some hope...!

Should I call any number or email Immigration ?

Thanks everyone for your time and hope you have a great weekends !

Untitled.png

On 03/08/2017 at 17:26, Kathss56 said:

Well, I am about to join in the other waiting room we seem to have on here as in "The Nursery" !! 

My first grandchild due in March ??

With Mother Nature on their side this was planned to perfection for me arriving in approx 2yrs time (remember the good old 18-24mths processing time for us!!)

My daughter will then have 6mths off which take us to Sept18  however, my visa probably still won't have come through ?

So, 600 visa next summer it will have to be then! Counting down as always ?

Also! Bear with.... I remember someone on here saying their children would pay them to childmind.  Someone else said they thought the grandparent would then have to declare this as income??  

So my next question is....when permanent, if paid and declare this for next few years can we then say we have worked for 5yrs so as to claim a pension after 10 instead of the new 15yr rule, which says you can claim a pension if worked for 5 out of 10yrs resident. I wonder if there is a minimum hours/dollars etc you would have to do in order to "qualify" ? As I do want to work.

I know it is only a top up pension as such but every little helps. 

So many queries in this process ! 

That's fantastic news Kath, congratulations!  We are enjoying being in Oz at the moment with our almost 4 yr old grandson and another expected in a weeks time! no holiday! but really lovely. We missed so much of our first grandchilds early years so hope to see his sibling much more, if only that visa would come through.....

You will have fun shopping for the new baby and hopefully get there soon!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nyorksgrannie said:

That's fantastic news Kath, congratulations!  We are enjoying being in Oz at the moment with our almost 4 yr old grandson and another expected in a weeks time! no holiday! but really lovely. We missed so much of our first grandchilds early years so hope to see his sibling much more, if only that visa would come through.....

You will have fun shopping for the new baby and hopefully get there soon!

Thank you! At least you are nearer than me!  enjoy special time with your new grandchild also ! 

• Like 1

Quick post re choosing a shipping agent.  I know there's a separate section for this but I tend  to be addicted to having news and info from other "parent applicants" - it feels a bit like "our club"!

Anyway, I had previously asked for quotes from several companies, trying to compare like with like, or so I thought, by asking them each to quote for the same specified volume of 500 cubic feet.  Two agents actually came to the house to do the assessment but the resulting quotes I had were totally different in terms of their assessment of volume for the same items.  One, (the one I had chosen anyway because they are the only one willing to ship on a 600 visa) came out with a substantially lower volume than the other, so consequently a much lower quote.  This company specifically say that they use the "Russian doll principle" when packing, thereby making maximum use of any available empty space and consequently reducing the volume.  

So, the message is to beware when you do ask for quotes and make sure that the agents do an actual home visit rather than simply submitting a list of items to be shipped. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, AMP said:

Quick post re choosing a shipping agent.  I know there's a separate section for this but I tend  to be addicted to having news and info from other "parent applicants" - it feels a bit like "our club"!

Anyway, I had previously asked for quotes from several companies, trying to compare like with like, or so I thought, by asking them each to quote for the same specified volume of 500 cubic feet.  Two agents actually came to the house to do the assessment but the resulting quotes I had were totally different in terms of their assessment of volume for the same items.  One, (the one I had chosen anyway because they are the only one willing to ship on a 600 visa) came out with a substantially lower volume than the other, so consequently a much lower quote.  This company specifically say that they use the "Russian doll principle" when packing, thereby making maximum use of any available empty space and consequently reducing the volume.  

So, the message is to beware when you do ask for quotes and make sure that the agents do an actual home visit rather than simply submitting a list of items to be shipped. 

I find I am forever taking screenshots of very useful tips! ?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I find I am forever taking screenshots of very useful tips! ?

We chose PSS because they did a home visit and were substantially cheaper than our other quote. Didn't have time to do three as we are leaving on August 18th. We had to hang on and hang on for exchange of contracts on the house and then suddenly it's all rush rush ... But like waiting for the visa really ... I agree with you AMP it's like our special club in this thread :)  

Travel tip coming up for anyone who, like us, has decided that they deserve a bit of luxury on the journey out - after all the rushing round.  We decided that for once in our lives we'd do business class, and hang the money that should be going to our new life, house, expenses etcetera.   Now I once read that it was cheaper to fly long haul from an airport outside the UK so I had a look on sky scanner, using Singapore air from LHR and from Helsinki (don't ask). £5600 for two from LHR and no appreciable difference from Finland. Then I tried again with Amsterdam, and again no appreciable difference. I had one last try with Paris. .....

LHR - SYDNEY =£5600

Paris CdG - SYDNEY = £4002

I couldn't quite believe it, but we've booked, are going over the day before and are having an evening in Paris before we fly. Just in case anyone else is bonkers enough to travel to Paris with two great big suitcases ...

• Like 8

Very useful information AMP, thanks. Can you share with us who you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

We chose PSS because they did a home visit and were substantially cheaper than our other quote. Didn't have time to do three as we are leaving on August 18th. We had to hang on and hang on for exchange of contracts on the house and then suddenly it's all rush rush ... But like waiting for the visa really ... I agree with you AMP it's like our special club in this thread :)  

Travel tip coming up for anyone who, like us, has decided that they deserve a bit of luxury on the journey out - after all the rushing round.  We decided that for once in our lives we'd do business class, and hang the money that should be going to our new life, house, expenses etcetera.   Now I once read that it was cheaper to fly long haul from an airport outside the UK so I had a look on sky scanner, using Singapore air from LHR and from Helsinki (don't ask). £5600 for two from LHR and no appreciable difference from Finland. Then I tried again with Amsterdam, and again no appreciable difference. I had one last try with Paris. .....

LHR - SYDNEY =£5600

I couldn't quite believe it, but we've booked, are going over the day before and are having an evening in Paris before we fly. Just in case anyone else is bonkers enough to travel to Paris with two great big suitcases ...

We have also gone with PSS. Very nice on the phone, told them we'd had a quote from seven seas for a move cube. Our "move manager" emailed us almost immediately and was very helpful, explained that as long as we have a visa that allows us to stay in OZ for 12 months, there will be no issues with shipping. Even better was the fact that they were £300 cheaper. So far, so good, I'll update again when our stuff has been picked up.

• Like 4

If it's any help - or it might just add to the mud already in the water!! - we went with Leatherbarrows. Our belongings were all packed up in a storage place already after moving house, we think the store was about 25 sq ft. We had Pickfords come and view it and guess at the volume - they reckoned it would fit into a 20 ft container. We realised it was a guess. We asked for phone quotes from several other companies, John Mason and another I've forgotten, based on the estimate from Pickfords. My husband had already been talking with a nice lady from Leatherbarrows for the past year or so, so I called her. Her quote was very similar and as my husband had already forged a bit of a relationship with her, we decided to give them the work.  Unfortunately by the time everything was unpacked and repacked ready for export AND we added in other odds and ends and emptied our newly sold Motorhome, we ended up with a 20 ft container plus! So we're looking at a 40 ft container now ??. We were looking at around £4000 and now looking at around £6000 so it's not a straight double the 20 ft container. (Plus Insurance)

So....question for those already happily living in Australia, if you had your time again, would you have brought anything else with you....or more of anything you did bring ?! I must admit I have brought a lot of things people may not, I think our family bits and bobs make our home what it is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

LHR - SYDNEY =£5600

Wow! - August the 18th that's 14 days! - Well done Fisher1!

I hope you don't mind me sharing your excitement but it made it all seem very real when I read that.

Great tip about GDG and if I can add my tuppence worth, Edinburgh is also fantastic for cheap longhaul flights. (Lookout for 'Promo' offers to Australia with Qatar)

I also agree about the 'Parents Club' and I need to bookmark some of these removals posts for future reference. Anyone know if you can save bookmarks within this forum? 

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Wow! - August the 18th that's 14 days! - Well done Fisher1!

I hope you don't mine me sharing your excitement but it made it all seem very real when I read that.

Great tip about GDG and if I can add my tuppence worth, Edinburgh is also fantastic for cheap longhaul flights. (Lookout for 'Promo' offers to Australia with Qatar)

I also agree about the 'Parents Club' and I need to bookmark some of these removals posts for future reference. Anyone know if you can save bookmarks within this forum? 

I've just been photographing them with iPad/iPhone

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MICHELLENGUYEN said:

Our lodgement is 27 Nov 2014, Acknowledged 18 Mar 2015

While everyone gets acknowledged around 1 month after lodgement, while we get it after 3 months ( holidays period Dec !!!). Does it mean IMMI didnt communicate with my solicitor effectively via her email ????

I called my solicitor and noone there seems caring about our hot-seat right now. She sent me an email advising to wait for ...2-3 months...!(for real?)

Website said 25 Nov 2014...we are just 2 days behind...why people at 5 Dec 2014 got their invitation. Should it because my brother is dependent and he's over 23yo now???

Please give me some hope...!

Should I call any number or email Immigration ?

Thanks everyone for your time and hope you have a great weekends !

Untitled.png

Haven't got any advice I'm afraid. If it goes on the movement date it's November ! I think you will get "the" email any day. There is a gentleman called Alan Corlett ( i hope) who lost all the time. He is an agent and will know.  I would Scan back a couple of pages to track him down and PM Him . It maybe he's on holiday or I think he might have responded to your post.

• Like 1